Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New to Skiing - boarder for 12 years

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I've been a boarder for 12 years and have decided recently I want to be able to do both skiing and boarding, i.e.. when there's been a large dump I will take my board out, however when its anything else I will go on skis, I usually go as part of a large group and pretty much everyone else in that group skis, its been something I've been considering for a number of years now.

I've had my first lesson in the UK and the instructor advised me to stop wasting money and to go straight for recreational ski as I'm able to parallel turn (all be it hesitantly) and lots of practice is required.

I'm looking to get a complete setup of boots, skis and bindings. On my board I enjoy freestyle and natural hits all over the mountain and motoring with friends, ideally, I'd like to be able to do exactly the same regards of being on 1 or 2 planks.

My Plan is to go to EB or S&R and try on everything they have in stock atm and see how I get on, so with the boots it shouldn't be to hard to eventually reach a set I am happy with, but skis and bindings I am lost, I don't know where to start.

So with that in mind and my ability level, what would people recommend I look for? (I'm not interested in "ZOMG GET XXXXX WTFLOL") I am interested in peoples thoughts, pitfalls and tips. I'm 35, 88kg, 6 foot, size 10.5 snowboard boot and not an overly wide ankle.

Thanks in advance for reading and any comments

James
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1)for the boots, take the extra time/effort to seek out a good bootfitter and get what they reccomend. Coming from a snowboarding background you will probably find all ski boots less comfortable than you are used too, but you will like skiiing infitinely more if you have good performing and confortable boots.

2) for the skis, i dont think you can go too wrong. Most shops will have some kind of deal with skis + bindings, just go for that.

The choice is more for the ski than the binding, as a beginner dont go for something too wide or long.

To be honest i think you would be better served buying the boots and then hiring your skis in resort as what is good or you now and in a couple of years will change a lot and the first skis will probably quickly end up being replaced.

Also, i find it hard to believe an instructor would reccomend after just 1 lesson having no more.... maybe you dont want to get loads of lessons, but having at least a few mornings per week will help alot.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 5-05-13 13:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I'm looking to get a complete setup of boots, skis and bindings. On my board I enjoy freestyle and natural hits all over the mountain and motoring with friends, ideally, I'd like to be able to do exactly the same regards of being on 1 or 2 planks.

I'm assuming you're spending plenty of time offpiste then? If so, look for 100-110mm underfoot twins, 20m ish radius, and you can't go too wrong. Tip and tail rocker with camber underfoot ftw. Blister Gear Review is a useful site for unbiased reviews (I've owned two sets of skis, one pair of boots and one kayak they've reviewed, and their reviews mirror my own thoughts on the items).

Unless you're hucking big/charging hard, I don't think you need to worry about bindings too much, just work out your DIN (release setting) and get something with that in it's range that doesn't break the bank. If you have any aspirations to touring (to my mind, the greatest advantage skis have over boards is the easier access to different parts of the mountain, makes it easier to find powder for longer after a storm) then it may be worth considering something along the lines of Marker Barons/Dukes or Salomon/Atomic Guardians/Trackers (the later two are the same binding, just different branding). Ski like a normal binding, but gives you a bit more freedom to explore. If that's unlikely to happen no need to spend the extra money though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ractys - why would I lie? odd, anyway that's what she advised, I plan to have another more advanced lesson in the next few weeks anyway, I tend to have a snowboard lesson at least once a year in the mountains anyway (usually freestyle) - thanks for the heads up on the boot fitter, I suspect I will take a trip to 1 of the 2 fitters that seems to get a lot of mentions

Clarky - I don't plan to spend much time off piste on skis. that's why I will take my board with me, however best laid plans and all that, thanks for the tips on the ski dimensions, I will take a look
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Clarky - I don't plan to spend much time off piste on skis. that's why I will take my board with me, however best laid plans and all that, thanks for the tips on the ski dimensions, I will take a look

In that case, forget everything I said above, keep it below 90mm underfoot. For 90% piste use, under 80mm - a halfpipe-style twintip should be a good crossover park ski with good edge grip for firm pistes.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thank you very much Clarky, appreciate it Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sorry, i diddn't mean to say you were lieing, just that i was surprised.

i hope you enjoy skiiing. i've done a bit of boarding but not got over the falling very hard and winding myself stage yet...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would honestly try to at least try a few different kinds of skis before buying, if you like to board off piste why would you only want to ski on piste. at least try some fatter and rockered skis, they are a lot of fun in different conditions not just fresh powder.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agree with that lynseyf and when I ski with boarders, I'm surprised how similar our lines and rates of travel are. I spent an afternoon skinning and sliding with a split boarder a couple of months ago and we took it in turns to lead/follow between the heather and rocks. Their line was the line I'd have chosen and vice versa, and we travelled at near identical pace. On the uphill though, the board was slower as his bindings, skins and 1/2 boards were about twice the weight of my kit. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
lynseyf, Now the op didn't say they wanted to be an ex boarder which is the natural endgame from your advice wink

I'd get something pistey and general punter focused in the short term while I built my core skills then think about something fun.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sandy77uk, even if you don't plan to spend any time off-piste on skis, you'll still be on skis, spot something nice off the side, and feel like diving in.

clarky999's advice is great if you want to be strictly a piste/slalom skier, but I'd split the difference personally and go for 90 to 100 underfoot. I'm less of a good skier than he is though, I'm pretty sure, so I'd go with his advice over mine on that basis.

I did things the other way round from you. Skier for a good few years, got to 'black run go anywhere except off piste and crazy moguls' level, the classic plateau I guess, and started boarding as well to mix it up a bit. I love getting into the deeper stuff now on both equipment. I'd say try to let go of the 'boarding when it's powder, skiing when it's sheet ice' cliche a little bit - because there's more conditions than those polar opposites, usually during the same week, often during the same day, plenty of times on the same descent. Just make sure you have fun on both.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob wrote:
lynseyf, Now the op didn't say they wanted to be an ex boarder which is the natural endgame from your advice wink

I'd get something pistey and general punter focused in the short term while I built my core skills then think about something fun.

Yes I suppose NehNeh I just don't understand why so many people still have this skis for ice only idea, fat skis are pretty popular now, not exactly a niche idea?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy