Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sharing private instructors

Poster: A snowHead
We've always used ESF private tuition for my (now 6 yr old) son. As we increase the amount of skiing we do (expecting 5 wks next year) this starts to become quite expensive.

However, he's made enormous progress with private tuition and has a great relationship with his instructor so I'm trying to figure out if there's any way to reduce the cost yet retain the instructor.

My ideal choice would be to find 1-3 more kids for him to share the same instructor with. Except, nobody we know has children who ski at the same level irrespective of age.

Any ideas on how to find other people to share an instructor? Its Argentiere/Chamonix that we go to.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you tried asking the instructor?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Asking the instructor is definitely the best bet, thats how I found someone to share riding lessons for one of my sons years ago. That young boy turned into a good friend too!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I haven't tried asking the instructor as he tends not to know what his forward bookings look like until just a few days beforehand. Since one of the weeks is Feb '14 half term, I'll need to make a ski school decision a bit further in advance than that.

I will try discussing it with him tho' to see - thanks for the suggestion.

In my Utopian world the ESF would have the option for 'instructor sharing' and a big board listing who was teaching what, when, and what the availability was. I doubt that's ever going to happen, despite the potential to create a lot of incremental private lesson demand.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowdave, it's possible that the same instructor will run some group classes at the right level. Would be worth a try.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
snowdave, it's possible that the same instructor will run some group classes at the right level. Would be worth a try.

This is a good idea.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowdave, less frequent lessons? i.e. as he improves he might benefit from more in between practice?

I guess there are public forums for Chamonix itself? maybe on e.g. Chamonix.net?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'll see if the instructor can book to do the relevant group in advance... My whole thought process was sparked by the discovery this year that after my son’s lesson the instructor had an older English boy of exactly the same level for another private lesson, and then went on to teach the relevant ESF group in the afternoon! However, he only found out about these engagements within days of them starting, which would have been no use for us when we wanted certainty 3 months ahead.

Hadn't thought of looking for a Chamonix forum - will go and investigate, thanks.

My son really really enjoys the lessons and has made amazing progress, so I'm cautious about tweaking things too much, and when a child actively wants to learn, I'm not keen to cut down on that.

and of course, if anyone on here has ESF-gold kids and wants to share, please let me know!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowdave, Try Cham Social (http://www.chamsocial.com/)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think it makes more sense for you to organise the sharing so that you can tell the instructor you want a lesson for xx people...
I am not sure why an instructor would want to put the children together and earn less money? Of course if they are the kind who are fully booked with a waiting list, then fine - but for many I suspect it is a better business risk / option to have separate lessons...
The forums sound a good idea

Alasdair
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In Germany and Austria, if you book private lessons, and you want to add to the group, they will charge you an extra per person, it is normally not that much but split say 3 ways is considerably cheaper....... Think there is a limit on size of the group, could be 4 but not too sure. Worth checking out though, if you dont ask you don't get wink. snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
n/a

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 4-05-13 6:22; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
WIBBLE ........ Sad(((
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowdave, BASS Chamonix normally do Junior group classes in Feb half term with a maximum of six in each group. It's a world away from ESF groups and might even be better for your son than privates as he will have other kids to ski with. All the instructors are first rate and native English speakers plus it will work out much cheaper than individual classes. I would second whats been said above, if you want to stick with the ESF instructor then try asking him/them to sort something out.

http://www.basschamonix.com/lessons.html
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I wasn't thinking about asking the instructor to sort it out but more thinking of asking him was her aware of a second person of similar level who was interested in sharing a private lesson. If somebody else is in the same boat the may ask the same thing and you can leave instructions to pass on your email address or so they can get in touch.
snow report
Thanks jbob - if BASS do anything harder than their advertised top level they'd be ideal, but at present "easy red runs" is the hardest they go.
We're meeting up with his instructor in the summer so will see if he has any suggestions/recommendations.
Thanks everyone for the views.
latest report
Quote:

It's a world away from ESF groups

Most of the grumbles about ESF groups are about the early years, and big classes. There have been a number of very enthusiastic reports about the fun had by more able kids, in higher level groups which will often (and especially outside school holidays) be smaller. I frequently see groups of half a dozen kids leaping around with ESF instructors, having a great time by the look of it and certainly skiing pretty hard and fast.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

It's a world away from ESF groups

Most of the grumbles about ESF groups are about the early years, and big classes.

My last ESF grumble (other than observing shocking lessons) was when we got our two kids (then small but capable) a week's worth of private lessons - from an instructor who lit up on every lift. rolling eyes
ski holidays
ESF don't usually have a great deal of availability for private lessons during their really busy weeks. It's all hands to the pumps on group lessons.
snow conditions
Quote:

an instructor who lit up on every lift

that's shocking. Did he refuse to stop? These days it might be more difficult for an instructor to refuse to do so - one would hope so, anyway.
snow report
pam w, a few years back when Les Gets upgraded their red bubbles - we came across all the old ones waiting to be moved/sold in the summer. Feeling quite sentimental, we took a few pictures etc. As we looked at them and commented that they were looking (very) well past their sell-by date, both boys said that that was 'nothing' - it was normal practice it seems for the (not ESF wink ) instructors to light up and wedge their boot in the door on every journey.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy