Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Early ski weekend - Nov or Dec - Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was busy planning my Jan/Feb ski weekend for 2014 when a friend suggested we go skiing for his birthday in Nov/Dec.

Where would you recommend for this time of year? Are there any resorts that are not hours away from airports that have decent snow and open lifts.

I would like to go in Jan as I do not think we will have many options in Nov/Dec but I thought I should at least check with you wise Snowheads first.

Mike.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
More options in Jan definitely and you if you've got the flight you can monitor conditions considerably closer to the date to determine exact location. You can ski in Nov and early Dec but you're usually looking at the glacier suspects like Tignes/ L2A/Stubai/Tux for certainty and maybe a bit more will be open with early snowfalls or snowmaking temps.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mike-H, Glaciers are pretty safe bet at the end of November, but other high resorts, based on the snow, will try top open as well.
I would consider in Austria:
- Stubai (glacier)
- Hintertux (glacier)
- Ischgl
- Obergurgl
- Solden (with 2 glaciers)

In France: probaby Tignes and Val Thorens.

Not sure about the transfer times for French resorts.

For Austria if you can get a flight to Innsbruck you are pretty close to all mentioned above. (Stubai even very close).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You might get some good deals with Mountainsun in Tignes, including transfer from Gva airport.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mike-H, where do u live? Check when flights start and to what airports. May not be easy to get to innsbruck dep where u coming from
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mike-H, Val Thorens usually opens around the 20th November, snow permitting. It's about 2.5 hours drive from Lyon or Geneva.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Come to the pre season bash!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
I do not think we will have many options in Nov/Dec
You will only need one ski area Toofy Grin !

Mrs MA and I have skied every year for about 20 years between October and December and have never wanted for snow/skiing. The secret is to book flights-only at this stage and wait until you see where the snow is. That way, you either ski a glacier area or, if you are in luck (which is not unusual) with early season snow, visit an early-opening non-glacier area. Digs are very easy to come by in early season.

Driving up to 3 hours can be an early seaon requirement I'm afraid - although there are a fair number of places within a couple of hours of budget airline airports. Anyway, it's worth it.

Here goes with my list of possibles:

Option 1 - Fly to Munich or Salzburg and ski one, or more, of the following glaciers:
- Zugspitz
- Hintertux
- Stubai
- Soelden
- Kaunertal
- Pitztal
Or (possibly) the following non-glacier areas:
- Schladming
- Obertauern
- Obergurgl
- Kuhtai
- St Anton
- Lech/Zuers
- Ischgl
(NB: St Anton, Lech, Zuers and Ischgl are very easily reached from Zurich - though flights there are a bit more limited).

Option 2 - Fly to Geneva or Lyon and ski one, or more, of the following high, snowsure areas:
- Tignes (Glacier at least but Espace Killy usually opens on the last weekend in November)
- Val Thorens
- Saas Fee (Glacier and probably more)
- Grande Montets, Chamonix (+ possibly other Chamonix areas)
- Cervinia (Glacier and probable link to Zermatt) - Also do-able from Milan and Turin but more limited choices overall if you have booked flights to one of those.
- Zermatt (and probable link to Cervinia)

A few options for you there.... wink

Dunno where you live Mike-H, but another (cheap) option could be Scotland. Cairngorm Mountain has been open in November for about six years in the last eight, IIRC Very Happy .
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
www.skiandboardcamp.com

In Tignes 11th October - 22nd December : airport transport, catered accommodation, lift pass and equipment from £119 - £189 (for 3 nights - longer stays possible - weekend supplements apply).

On sale now!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy