Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

buying skis - where to start?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I'm a new member, so please take it easy on me!

I am an female advanced intermediate level skier, I have lessons in the UK each week at our local club, and have done for the past 5 years. This January I had my first snow holiday in 20 years, and that's it I'm hooked!

Today we have just made a booking for 2014. Last year my ski hire was included in the price. I've just discovered that in Lech next year it will be £135 for 6 days, a bit of a rip off. So I thought I might try to find some used skis for up to £100, and with the £35 carriage it would cost the same as hiring.

I use the club skis each week, I think they are Salomon, and I use 152 cm, but when it comes to looking for ones to buy I have no idea where to start.

Any tips would be gratefully received.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just remember that you get your boots and poles included in the rental price. Presume you've got your own boots so ignore if so.

Big question when buying skis is;

Piste only? All mountain? Powder? Park? What is your intended use?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You're looking for general piste skis and in your sort of length - possibly you can afford to go a bit longer than the length you use on plastic, maybe up to 158 ish, they'll be targetted at women or lighter weight men. Then you're on eBay looking for a package at a price or somewhere like Ski Warehouse. You won't get stunning in a new ski at that price but you might get very good used although bear in mind you'll need to consider BSL (boot length) of the original owner if you want to avoid extra cost on the binding remount.

But the best person to ask is your dryslope instructor/coach they'll have a better idea of how you ski and maybe even some pointers on who is looking to punt skis on at your slope.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi all thanks for quick replies. I will ask my instructor tomorrow night for some tips. I will need to buy poles too. I"m happy to go for used to get a slightly better bold older pair than the cheapest new ones. I will make sure to check pre-owners boot size too, to keep the prices down.

I've a very reasonable pair of K2 Sweet Luv on ebay, but already doing research I have found these are better for beginners.

I'll probably use whatever I buy on plastic each week, but obviously have them serviced before the hols.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Where to start???? Where do I start, rule 1, don't restrict yourself to "Skier Type", ability is not a test of your needs, buy a ski that will be still there when you ski "consistently", I will explain. Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
K2 burning love second hand.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
norfolkskiier, be sure to check what your airline charges for transporting your new skis...these days it's extortionate and you might actually be better off staying with hiring. Have a look at the website for Lech, there may be other cheaper shops apart from the one your tour operator uses.
I found this - €122 http://www.alpinresorts.com/en/ski-rental/austria/tyrol/lech
You don't say anything about your height/weight. The length of ski you choose would also take those into account. I think the current fashion is about nose height (is this about right, snowHead snowHead ?).
I wouldn't use my best/good skis on a dry slope, it's a very harsh environment! Use the club skis!
Presumably you have already purchased boots? If not, do so first!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi there, the carriage would be £35 for own skis, I'll have a look at the link above. I couldn't get next years dates to work when I tried to get quotes before.

I am 5ft 7 and around 9 stone 10.

Off to investigate...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That is of course £35 each way.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well I am 5'2" and 9st and I currently ski 158cm but am considering going longer again as my old skis 162cm were much nicer...but then I have been skiing for many years. So at 5'7 then maybe you are looking around 164cm...or if you are a speed merchant, Shocked a size longer..".try before you buy" at a snowdome and then buy 2nd hand...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
norfolkskiier, If you have limited on-snow time and you have your own boots . . . just rent for the next couple of trips and try 2 skis of different types per week. At your statistics I wouldn't restrict myself to woman specific skis. In the mix I'd have a play on 'Movement Jams' . . . knocked my eyeballs sideways last week and will be replacing my Icelandics (if I can bear to part with the old friends) for next season and beyond.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi, the reason I'm keen to buy is the £135 rental I've been quoted for next Jan, I don't like wasting money! The carriage is £35 return, so not too bad.

I've seen some 2nd hand skis, which have some superficial scratches on the base, but wanted to show someone who might know better than me if they are bad or not? Not a great pic, but to me looks like general wear and tear. After a service do you think this would be OK?

Thanks for all the replies so far.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
norfolkskiier, That doesn't even need a service, comes completely under the 'ignore' category. The only time scratches really need repairing (unless you're racing) is if they break through the base into the core. Those bases are in much better nick than any of mine!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hi Clarky999 thanks for putting my mind to rest. I'm hoping these are the ones, will be viewing them tomorrow, then will report in!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi all, though I'd give you an update. I am now the proud owner of dome nearly new Head Every Thangs, with poles and carry bag. I spotted them on ebay, and read lots of good things, all the others I was looking at were definite beginners skis, where these are aimed at intermediate. I plan to try them out tomorrow night at my ski club. They are the ones in the photo above, in very good condition, and a bit of a bargain at £70. So with the ski carriage of £35 its actually cheaper than renting!

Will let you all know if I survive tomorrow night! They feel much sharper edged than anything we have at the ski club! Thanks for all the tips and advice.
snow conditions
norfolkskiier,
Ebay................ http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Storm-Inferno-Full-on-RACE-SLALOM-skis-bindings-155cm-/111064529400?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEDWX%3AIT&nma=true&si=Qqua5zILg2Wx3jFoXzWu1v8bT5U%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_428wt_1170

Great skis, good bindings, next to no use. .................£116, a sweet deal for someone.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy