Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Zillertal Snow Report 2013/14

Poster: A snowHead
Time to start this off, not long now Wink Anyway, Hintertux still skiing well according to the cams. Back on 28 December 2013, not long now.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Hintertux still skiing well according to the cams

Yep! Still skiing well Very Happy Was up there today. It was like skiing in April. There are a few photos on my blog:
http://alpinefreedom.blogspot.co.at/2013/07/summer-skiing-in-hintertux.html
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great stuff, going in 2 weeks for a course hope it stays that good
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had planned to go up to Hintertux this weekend, but they're still asking for €40 even for jsut a half day! Nuts!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is it as hot in the Zillertal as it is in Munich? How's the snow holding up, will be there from next sunday.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Is it as hot in the Zillertal as it is in Munich?

Dunno... How hot has it been in Munich? I live in the main Ziller valley and where I am it has been around 33C. Hintertux village is about 1000m higher than here, so I expect it has been a bit cooler. The Hinterux glacier Gefrorene Wand webcam is saying that it is 8C there at the moment. http://www.hintertuxergletscher.at/de/webcam/webcams.html
Since I was there last week, looking at the webcam, it looks like the snow is staying well. Last week, even in the morning, the snow was similar to what you would get on a warm April afternoon, so pretty soft. However, it was great compared to normal July glacier skiing which is usually a combination of ice and rivers.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 28-07-13 5:22; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

they're still asking for €40 even for jsut a half day

Hmm... That's not actually true. The Gefrorene Wand and Olperer T-bars close at 13.30 but the gondolas stay open until 1630, so you can ski for a full day, if you want to. Not many people do but it's possible.
It's a shame that they don't have a half day morning ticket. They have a half day afternoon ticket, but what crazy person is going to pay €27.50 to go skiing at 14.00!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SaraJ, ah, didn't realise some lifts were open later (though how is the snow past 2pm?). I still think €40, even for a whole day, is pretty ridiculous for limited summer glacier skiing. How much is a day ticket mid-Winter, with many more slopes open?

Maybe I'm just a bit bitter 'cos I'd like to go skiing. I'd happily pay €20-25 for 8:30-1:30 or something, but not €40. Lots of people here seem to feel the same way (apparently there used to be a €20-ish morning only ticket), with comments that only subsidised/large enough to get group discount race clubs go now (don't know the truth of that personally). I can't help but think there'd have much more summer business from Tirol residents if it wasn't quite so extortionate.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999, Oooo... Just looked on their website... €47 for a day ticket for next winter. Shocked Hurrah for the Tirol Snowcard!
By lunchtime last week I'd had enough. It was great fun blatting through the mush but by 1-ish it was getting to be heavy going.
Most other people there were race training, or doing instructor courses - Tirol Skilehrerverband were there and the Skilehrerverband from Vienna. There were also a few were in the terrain park.
Quote:

I can't help but think there'd have much more summer business from Tirol residents if it wasn't quite so extortionate.

I don't know about that. Most people I speak to around here are happy to ski in winter and would rather be doing something else in summer. In fact, when I said I went skiing last week, most people told me I wasn't right in the head!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SaraJ, you're probably right, most of my social circle here is made up of die-hard snow freaks Laughing Would have been nice to get a day or two in in July and August when the Stubai's closed though (conveniently the Freizeitticket covers skiing Sept/Oct - June there!).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SaraJ wrote:
Quote:

Is it as hot in the Zillertal as it is in Munich?

Dunno... How hot has it been in Munich? I live in the main Ziller valley and where I am it has been around 33C. Hintertux village is about 1000m higher than here, so I expect it has been a bit cooler. The Hinterux glacier Gefrorene Wand webcam is saying that it is 8C there at the moment. http://www.hintertuxergletscher.at/de/webcam/webcams.html
Since I was there last week, looking at the webcam, it looks like the snow is staying well. Last week, even in the morning, the snow was similar to what you would get on a warm April afternoon, so pretty soft. However, it was great compared to normal July glacier skiing which is usually a combination of ice and rivers.

good to hear the snow is holding up 8C sounds lovely just now
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We went for a walk in the Hochzillertal ski area last weekend. Their website says that two new heated chairlifts will be ready for next winter so we went to have a look. One of them will start just below Marendalm and will go about 3/4 of the way up piste Red 5. The other is to improve access to the Kristalhütte and starts somewhere below the current access T-bar.
There's a bit of chat about it and a few photos here http://www.alpinefreedom.blogspot.co.at/2013/08/new-lifts-in-hochzillertal.html
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We went to Hintertux yesterday. The weather didn't look promising from the car park, grey, cloudy and drizzly, but it was actually ok once we got up to the snow. Visibility was variable, as was the snow. We wondered why there were so many adults walking around with child sized poles - it turned out to be the opening weekend of the terrain park.
I've written more about the conditions here http://alpinefreedom.blogspot.co.at/2013/10/first-turns-of-201314-winter-season.html
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hintertux was fantastic yesterday!! Very Happy Visibility was as variable as the snow. The skiing was great!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hochfügen is opening on the 30th November, though it was hard to believe the lifts weren't running when looking at the number of cars in the car park this morning. It seems that the world and his wife decided to walk up through the ski area today. There was fog in the valley, but Hochfügen was above it - blue sky, sunshine... It was gorgeous!
The lift company are doing a good job of creating a durable base with a mixture of man-made and natural snow. Not long now before the season really starts...
For those of you who are interested, there is some more chat and some photos on my Blog: www.alpinefreedom.blogspot.co.at
snow conditions
That's because it was open this weekend! Not sure how much was running but webcams had people swishing by Saturday and Sunday. Looks like they are closed again so probably only doing weekends until the 30th. Oddly, there appeared to be nothing on the website about any weekend opening.
ski holidays
Ghost Dog, people were probably skinning up.
snow report
Ghost Dog, Nope, definitely not open last weekend... Just LOTS of people on touring skis. I saw today that they are planning to open this weekend coming, then close for next week to open again on the 30th for the season.
snow conditions
clarky999, In one Toofy Grin

Ghost Dog, As SaraJ works for the Hochfügen Ski school amongst others AND lives all year round in Fügen, I think she may just might know a bit more about things going or not, than you do just drooling over some web cam or another! wink
ski holidays
To be fair, one of my UK based friends spent the day on Saturday watching the webcams and commented that the car park and the piste you can see from the 8er webcam looked as busy as it normally does on a Saturday when the ski area is open. He was disappointed that he missed me walking past the webcam rolling eyes The website refreshes every 10 minutes (or something like that) and I happened to walk past in the 10 minutes between refreshes Toofy Grin
snow conditions
There are far too many fit people in Hochfugen, I had counted over 40 people go by in about half an hour, 3 or 4 refreshes of the video.
ski holidays
The season in Hochfügen started well with a good base of man-made and natural snow. There was fresh snow for the opening weekend and it was great! Unfortunately, it hasn't snowed much since then so it doesn't look so pretty now. The pistes on the north facing slopes are still good and are holding up well with the extra Christmas traffic. The south facing slopes are getting a bit scratchy. The weather has been cold and clear which is helping the snow stay. Hopefully the snow forecast for Boxing Day will materialise and freshen everything up Smile
snow report
It's always difficult to find the motivation to leave the apartment to go skiing when you can hear the rain pounding on the roof, though this morning there was no choice as I had to go teaching. Life started looking up at about 1000m where the rain turned to snow... and then it snowed all day Smile It was good to have fresh snow underneath my skis again.
http://alpinefreedom.blogspot.co.at/2013/12/snow-is-falling.html
ski holidays
I was looking to book a week in Mayrhofen today for the 11th of Jan but holding back at the moment due to the reports of poor conditions Sad
latest report
Found some wonderful pow today between Hochzillertal and Hochfugen and am managing to avoid the crowds. Surprised how much snow there was. Lunch today in Wedel Hutte, classy spot.
ski holidays
Where are you staying Peter Ross? Mayrhofen does sound good but we prefer resorts where you can ski across to each slope rather than losing time catching trains or buses Puzzled
snow conditions
George 3G, Each area of skiing is big enough for a day or twos skiing without repeating pistes too much. You could do a different 'resort' for each day, hence my 'day trip' comment in another thread, it's no bad thing, I really liked it in fact. Get up 20 mins early, take the bus to the glacier up the road, or the train to Hockfugen or Zell am Ziller, makes for a good variety of riding and the feeling you've visited more than one resort.
ski holidays
exactly what I do, and will be doing in a couple of weeks. Probably Mayrhofen one day, Zell am Ziller the next, Kaltenbach if snowing, so that I cna leave the car in the multistorey and not have to worry about clearing the snow before driving home.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If anyone has any Mayrhofen updates over the next week or so please put them up here. 9 of us heading out on the 11th and would love a serious dumping before we go to top it all up a bit. One of our group was out there three weeks ago and said it was fine, but I'm won't be happy until I either get there, or see some proper dumps before we go.
latest report
I'm off to kaltenbach next week, will have a car - would people advise driving between the different resorts or is it easier to do the train and how far is it approximately between them?
ski holidays
zell am ziller and horbergbahn (for mayrhofen) have free car parks right by the lifts, but both need a shuttle bus between station and lift.
kaltenbach station is pretty much right by the carpark and lifts.

20min drive should do it. if the weather is naff, I'd go for public transport - saves digging car out and scraping all the snow off. If weather is good, I'd probably be lazy and drive.

edit: conversely, if based in Mayrhofen at the station end of town, I'd leave the car parked up, and use public transport, regardless (esp. to Kaltenbach)
snow report
Thanks Andy. Will report on conditions in due course in case anyone due out after me.
snow conditions
will be there next weekend. Mayrhofen saturday, Zell am Ziller sunday.

PS might be busy still this weekend (end of German holiday).
driving up the valley saturday mornings is OK, but expect to see a several km long tailback going the other way on saturday mornings, which presumably is a bit of a jam going up the valley at 4pm?. that's my experience of the first weekend after 6th Jan. I expect outside those times, there'll be no issues.
snow report
My main worry is whether there will be a tail back on the sunday evening back to munich for my flight, wondering how close to the bone I can push it in terms of skiing late sunday evening - not flying till 8 and I understand it's usually an hour and a half drive
snow conditions
definitely allow more than an hour and a half
there will be a tail back somewhere along the way
ski holidays
George 3G, Reid at moment, Mayrhofen at weekend, ski bus outside door so handy enough.

Snowed a little yesterday and snow forecast for weekend maybe 20 to 30 cms according to Bergfex. Powder about but need to pick carefully as not that much cover! Pistes in great condition.
latest report
Can anyone update about the snow conditions in Mayrhofen?
Read in snow forecast there has been heavy rain today...

Thanks.
snow report
Raining in town but snowing up on the hill
snow conditions
Snowing today Mayrhofen from top of Penkenbahn altitude and a little lower, hard base so need lots of snow to make offpiste enjoyable. Lots of first dayers falling over Happy
snow conditions
Thanks, and how is snow quality above Penkenbahn altitude?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy