Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Angry sherpas riot on the roof of the world

Poster: A snowHead
Climbers Simone Moro, Ueli Steck and Jonathan Griffith have been involved in a punch-up at 7500 meters on Everest after getting into an argument with Angry Sherpas. 100 sherpas ganged up on the trio and forced them to abandon the mountain under a hail of rocks. They were told that if they didn't leave the mountain they would be killed.

Police are investigating.

http://www.simonemoro.com/en/content/everest-8848-m
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Grif' claims innocence, I reckon you've gotta have done something wrong to have 100 angry guys try throw rocks at you! Ueli has a nasty gash on his face!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Imagine, if Everest was in Japan and those Sherpas were Ninjas!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maybe the lack of oxygen has addled all their brains?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof, Probably just showing off how good their boots are and got the other jealous! Cool
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Probably just showing off how good their boots are and got the other jealous!

I was once doing a rather mild day walk on Mount Kenya, in trainers. rolling eyes We met up with a climber and a Kenyan mountain guide, and walked with them for a bit. I noticed the guide looking hard at my trainers and did feel rather foolish. Eventually he asked me, very politely, whether I would consider swapping footwear, as he really liked my trainers. Laughing I declined, pointing out that his boots were not only worth at least three times as much as my trainers but were also 3 sizes too big.

That sounds a very nasty incident on Mount Everest. I don't encounter that sort of thing on the South Downs Way.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Earlier dispatches:

http://youtube.com/v/Bg7Z25qVW28

http://youtube.com/v/85YufK-iTX4
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
good effort feeling energetic enough at 7500m to start chucking rocks around
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CH2O wrote:

Imagine if Everest was in the Vatican City and those Sherpas were nuns.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Still useful precedent for the ESF next time they see a TO rep endangering their snake.

"Yah, uhm, it was rilly rilly dangerous. We didn't feel safe at the Folie D with those Frenchies throwing those baguettes and stale croisants at us and threats that they would cut off our supply of champers and oversized beanies so we took the only action possible, we descended at extreme risk and took shelter in Dick's, where Izzy, Rupes, Millie and Harry provided a human shield to protect us from their foul Gauloise breath."
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CH2O wrote:

Imagine if Everest was in France and those Sherpas were fishermen!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Imagine if it was the Alps and the Sherpas were lift operators. Naaa, impossible. At over 2000m, they would just tut and go back into their huts
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob wrote:
Still useful precedent for the ESF next time they see a TO rep endangering their snake.

"Yah, uhm, it was rilly rilly dangerous. We didn't feel safe at the Folie D with those Frenchies throwing those baguettes and stale croisants at us and threats that they would cut off our supply of champers and oversized beanies so we took the only action possible, we descended at extreme risk and took shelter in Dick's, where Izzy, Rupes, Millie and Harry provided a human shield to protect us from their foul Gauloise breath."

Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Imagine if Carlsberg did Everest expeditions.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Read that 3 were trying to use set up Sherpa ropes without paying? Sort of teaching your mates in a snowdome without a licence
ski holidays
^

Nope. They were soloing (i.e. climbing unroped) in the vicinity of Sherpas who were fixing ropes. http://alpenglowexpeditions.com/blog/everest-best-and-worst-0 appears to be a balanced piece from a guide on Everest.
latest report
dogwatch wrote:
^

Nope. They were soloing (i.e. climbing unroped) in the vicinity of Sherpas who were fixing ropes.
Or, to be more precise, above them - which was what they objected to (if that Adrian Ballinger report got it right).
ski holidays
Quote:

what they objected to

they beat and threatened to kill over, little different!!

I've had people traverse above me on steep slopes before, there follows some hand waving and shouting, maybe a rude word or two but i never gathered all my mates at the bottom to beat and throw rocks at them! if the reports are true the Sherpas are very much in the wrong!!

Also they couldn't really pick worse climbers to assault, pretty much the most famous mountaineers on the planet right now!
snow conditions
While I've no reason to doubt the European account - you can see how it's possible that there was at least the perception in crossing the lines that the Euro guys were endangering the Sherpas below. Add in an tough environment and fragile male egos, plus a bit of tradition and pride in the role of the Sherpa and you can see why things got irrationally out of hand.

Summary - wherever they are from, men can sometimes be irrational, testosterone fuelled dickheads. Hopefully they've all had a brew together now and settled their differences.
snow conditions
Another piece from one of the climbers involved. Clearly a very shaken man. http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68025
latest report
Some how some idiot managed to turn this into a general rant against men.

(
Quote:

Summary - wherever they are from, men can sometimes be irrational, testosterone fuelled dickheads

..................well done you, for that thoughtful and insightful comment!
snow report
fatbob = loony feminist Laughing
ski holidays
Gonna use it as my tagline. No-one else think the whole story reads a bit like a high altitude variant of "You looking at my bird?"

Anyway back to my organic yoghurt fair-trade hemp macrame collective.
latest report
Quote:

wherever they are from, men can sometimes be irrational, testosterone fuelled dickheads

fatbob, you wanna step out side and say that wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy