Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How often should I service my skis?

Poster: A snowHead
I go skiing for about a week at a time, normally once a year but sometimes twice. I tend to get them edged and waxed at the start of each week but I am wondering if this is necessary? Would they be okay to have them serviced every other trip?

Thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You meant to say ...

'How often should I get my skis serviced ?'

... as you're not doing the servicing yourself because if you were, you wouldn't be asking the question. wink

Answer really is like how long is a piece of string i.e.

If you want them to be at peak performance all the time because you believe they will impede your progress in training for the FIS circuit, A/. = every morning and every lunchtime.

Through to -

If you want them serviced when they begin to badly affect your skiing enjoyment A/. = when the bases get so textured that you see wood amongst the shredded plastic and their edges don't scrape any off your fingernail, no matter how hard you try.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was doing (in a rather hurried fashion) some skis on my terrace in France, a few weeks ago. My French neighbour noticed and said "Do you do that every year?" Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I suppose a lot depends on the surfaces you are skiing on. Icy snow, especially artificial, will blunt the edges faster than nice fresh stuff. And sometimes there are little stones, etc. But not this year. snowHead No ice, no stones!!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wax every trip, edge every other trip, If you are a DIYer you'd most likely wax & just lightly re-dress edges every trip....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Check your bindings for adjustment & function and lubricate as required. Every trip.

Of course there is another way to carry out a binding function check but it involves a faceplant and possible hospitalisation afterwards... Twisted Evil
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Back in the days when I had my own skis I once had them serviced before a week away and spent most of the week falling over until a helpful instructor took a rock and scrubbed the ultra sharp edge off a bit!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
really does depend on what you are doing and conditions. pro every run. race enthusiast every day. Punter when the performance starts to drop off. Tigth northenrn mate when he becomes terrified on hard pack. I normally find that skis performance declines over a week and would normally get them serviced every week. longer in good conditiions but would give the skis a touch up during the week on the edges in hard conditions and an extra wax in wet snow. An edge trick is probably the one piece of kit to touch up the edges worth considering by a keen holiday skier.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
foxtrotzulu, Laughing Laughing that were in the day when skis also needed detuning, I am told wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gatecrasher, So I presume things have changed then. I am talking about a lovely pair of 204cm Dynastar GS skis bought in 1993!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
foxtrotzulu, yep I'm guessing things may have moved on a bit! Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Depends on the snow conditions. In fresh knee deep powder on top of a 3m base a tune can last virtually forever. Icy hardback with rocks poking out everywhere can trash your bases and edges in a couple of hours. But on average, once a week is usually a good compromise for servicing. I service my own skis and check the edges daily. I usually hot wax bases on a weekly basis and edge tune as required - anything from daily to a week or more depending on conditions. If you keep on top of them, they don't usually need much effort. It's a lot harder when the edges are completely blunted.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
+1
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If doing it right? Everyday, with affection! Maintain them is the key!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Combo of wot TTT and uktrailmonster said. Essential to stay on top of edges, which will mean daily attention if hard snow. Waxing not essential, only desirable - skis won't be at their best if not waxed but will still work pretty well.
snow report
I usually change wax to snow temperatures.
latest report
If you care about your skis, then things are pretty simple... They should be waxed after every skiing, and edges should be also checked at this time. If necessary edges should be also done. If you wax them once or twice a year, then it's pretty much useless to bother even this once a year, since this won't do anything anyway.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy