Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR Geitgaljern & Himmeltind

Poster: A snowHead
Since my days off are only coinciding with bad weather, I have had time to sort out the last few Lofoten piccies...

Geitgaljern - 'the jewel in the crown of Lofoten ski touring':

Unfortunately someone had also mentioned this to 18 Germans and their guides! A rather large group. We took a direct line up an icy gully for some piece and quiet:

A steady 1000m of ascent from the shoreline gets you to within range of the summit pyramid:

Rather Scottish-looking, with the heavily-rimed rock:

The last 80m to the summit are up a narrow 45º snow tongue between rocks and ice to a small but perfectly formed summit... sadly the clouds had rolled in by this time so the (apparently) amazing views were hidden - on the South side the mountain drops almost vertically down to not far above sea level! - We will just have to come back another day...
Will & Chipie on the summit:

Fortunately only a handful of the Germans decided to come to the summit, so after a short wait for them to climb we dropped in - perfect deep powder, shame we couldn't see more to really let loose.
Chipie trying to spot the line between the rocks and ice, not so easy in the cloud when everything looks white from above & any wrong turn could be terminal:

Perfect snow though:

The majority of the big group had already started skiing and there was a proper bunfight on the go with bodies & skis everywhere and lots of people skiing very close together - not ideal on steep powdery slopes. We waited for a propitious moment and blasted by and clear of the danger... Lower down I hung a left to ski a steep line I had spotted between some water ice bulges and a rock rib, finding perfect deep soft powder, while Will & Chipie lined up a little ice-skiing (move over Xavier de le Rue!).

A gentle run down past some cross country tracks took us back to the beach and the car again:

For our last full day in Lofoten we headed West again, spotting some objectives for a future trip on the way:

Himmeltind was our first port of call, with 800m of fun-angled North facing slopes:

Don't ask (because I don't know..)!:

A stunning, atmospheric day, with snowy squalls interspersed with bright blue skies:

And despite near gale force winds on the summit ridge, perfect, perfect powder:

A stunning place to ski:

All the way to the beach:

Sadly at this point my memory card was chocker full - the day kept on giving, a change of venue gave me my 'run of the trip' on Tindeltinden (Norwegians may correct me but I believe this translates as 'peak peak') and a chance re-encounter with Kira and Kaisa the dog saw us heading up for a run on Kangerurtinden in the evening sun... What a day - 1600m of perfect powder!

All I can say is - roll on Spring 2014 in Lofoten!!

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fantastic.

Lofoten and Lyngen very much on my wish list.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Here's ya view:

http://www.mountainpanoramas.com/___p/___p.html?panoid=2012_R1

Stunning!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
altis, nice find
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It doesn't get much better than that! Cool Cool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

A steady 1000m of ascent from the shoreline gets you to within range of the summit pyramid

you'd earned your powder.... snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
altis wrote:
Here's ya view:

http://www.mountainpanoramas.com/___p/___p.html?panoid=2012_R1

Stunning!

Top work altis !!

I am just going to have to go back... oh wait, that's right, I am already looking at the calendar for next years dates Happy

Bring forth the cod stew and Arctic beer...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
But I don't like fish!!!

I only found mountainpanoramas today when I was searching for Geitgaljern to find out where it is.

Seems to be a useful resource. I can imagine myself whiling away many hours there. Pity that the pano of Col de la Vanoise doesn't really do the place justice.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
altis, wow - great find. Really epitomises the whole place. You can also see the gully where we rescued Kristin and many of the peaks we skied throughout the week. Shame we didn't get to ski Geitaljern itself. Next year snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
altis, Excellent link Very Happy I've just spent a happy few minutes with the iPad in front of my face, turning slowly round 360... Nothing like a nice view with ur brekkie Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Flouncymark wrote:
You can also see the gully where we rescued Kristin

it looks so banine in that pic
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
altis, Cool site..
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno wrote:
Flouncymark wrote:

Confused by canonical elsewhere? Banine?

Contraction of Banal 'innit? Benign? Think I prefer the etymology of the former.

Ace pics as usually. Also liked Flouncy's vid although Royskopp, while probably appropriate was getting right on my tits.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
embarrassing spelling mistake
i blame my neighbour's car alarm which kept me awake all night Embarassed
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob wrote:
Arno wrote:
Flouncymark wrote:

Confused by canonical elsewhere? Banine?

Contraction of Banal 'innit? Benign? Think I prefer the etymology of the former.

Ace pics as usually. Also liked Flouncy's vid although Royskopp, while probably appropriate was getting right on my tits.

...love it or hate it, I bet your tits couldn't help bobbing rhythmically to the brooding baseline
snow report
Nah that's just their normal sag if the tedious Nordic dirge had kicked up a bit they might have bounced.

Robert Christgau said,
Quote:

tends toward waiting-room music for plastic surgeons who really want you to order that butt implant.
latest report
fatbob, ouch.

I could always explore the only other music played on Norwegian radio. I believe it was 'rock Friday' as we drove to Stornappstinden and we were serenaded with Welcome to the Jungle, Poison and a sprinkling of AC/DC. That was a good day Very Happy

The rest of the time it was sophisticated upbeat downbeat breakbeat ambient synth.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy