Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montgenerve to Claviere

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After all your very helpful responses on my "La Rosiere again or somewhere else?" Thread we are looking at Montgenerve for a change.

I'm a nervous improver, happy on blue and easy reds. Not so happy on icey and narrow.

Will I be able to ski to Claviere? I saw from a previous post it's either a tricky red or a green that requires a lot of poling ( not ideal if we're with the children ). Then I read about a new lift that let's you access Claviere via a blue run.

Does anyone know? I'm on the verge of booking but worry that I'll feel I'm missing out if I can't ski to Claviere because it looks lovely!

Thanks.

Rosie
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Montgenevre is a fabulous little resort, you should book immediately. There is indeed a new and easier way of getting to Claviere, but I binned my piste map this very morning, so I can't describe it with any degree of accuracy. Evil or Very Mad

You could always Google the piste map of course.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lizzard wrote:
Montgenevre is a fabulous little resort, you should book immediately. There is indeed a new and easier way of getting to Claviere, but I binned my piste map this very morning, so I can't describe it with any degree of accuracy. Evil or Very Mad

You could always Google the piste map of course.

Thanks! I have looked at the piste map but its not always clear what's up and what's down! Embarassed
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rosie

I'm sure you will like Montgenevre. We've had some great family holidays there. There are plenty of wide open runs.

When we went to Montgenevre we skiied over to Claviere in the mornings while the children were in ski school. There are two ways to get to Claviere:

1. Take the lift to Roche D'Aigle and ski down a red or black (black only for the first bit). The very first bit of the red is quite tricky as you have to ski down a narrow path and then do a couple of turns on a steep bit where the red joins the black. If you can stomach those few turns the red then levels out and is much easier. The other reds in Claviere are much easier so that top bit of Roche D'Aigle is the only bit to worry about.

2. If you are nervous and don't do narrow, I think you would be better off doing the green golf course route. It should have a good covering of snow at New Year. There is a piste for most of the way. Just a short bit at the end where you either shuflle on your skis over a bridge and round a tennis court or take your skis off and walk.

There are some lovely cruisy reds and a nice blue through the trees in Claviere.. also more mountain cafes. It is worth going over there for a morning or two.

Coming back is much more straightforward take the col de boeuf lift and ski down an easier red back to the Tremplin lift in Montgenevre.

Even if you don't venture over to Claviere you would find more than enough skiing in Montgenevre for your level. There is a long cruisy blue called the Pharoah on the south side of the resort. There are a good variety of runs on the north side. If you want easy skiing with the kids in the afternoon you can take them to the Gondrans area (bowl) and there is a snow park there and more cruisy runs.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am a blue/easy red person and skied over to claviere without major problems but to be honest if you are that mentality of skier there is far more for you in Montgenevre as most of the claviere pistes are red. It would certainly be worth you going over to claviere for the mountain restaurants at least once but you'll get more variety of skiing in Montgenevre . Can highly recommend it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks - that's brilliant. I'm going to book! Hopefully I'll be a bit better by next February. I've only had 2 weeks on snow. I'm planning lots of dry slope lessons between now and next year.

For those that have been- is the Chalet des Dolines well situated?

Rosie
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dolines is ok;short child friendly drag up and gentle ski to main Chalvet bubble, or short walk past drag down road to bridge and ski to ts Tremplin or Serre Thibaud. Have fun.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you're looking for lessons contact Seb at apeak - he is extremely helpful, speaks great English if you're French is a bit dodgy and our boys have had excellent lessons with them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^ Seconded.

There's a thread about Seb@Apeak here.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lovely place, I'm sure you'll love it. The Hameau de l'Obelisque where some hotels are is a brand new area on the edge of the village and a bit far from the centre but just about OK (I was there in February).
Resort website here http://www.montgenevre.com/winter/en/leisure-activities/alpine-skiing (move the slide at the top of the piste map to enlarge it).
Get the Monts de la Lune lift pass (you won't need the Via Latea (Milky way) one - or can get an extension for a day if you do - and the Montgenevre one will be too restricting.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks everyone - that's very helpful. I'm going to book! I'll get in touch with Seb too.

One final q about flights. We're restricted to either Chambery or Grenoble ( cheaper). No Turin from Scotland.

Our choice is arriving in Chambery at 16.30 or Grenoble at 14.15. Given our ski lessons will be starting on Sunday am do we have time to get fom Chambery to Montgenerve and still hire skis?! Looks a bit tight to me.

Thanks.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You may struggle - if you're with a tour op you may find yourself hanging around for other flights so you can't always guarantee you'll set off quickly. I believe chambery flights are a bit prone to being diverted in bad weather - certainly more so than Grenoble.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dr George wrote:
You may struggle - if you're with a tour op you may find yourself hanging around for other flights so you can't always guarantee you'll set off quickly. I believe chambery flights are a bit prone to being diverted in bad weather - certainly more so than Grenoble.

Thanks, we're getting a private transfer. Go Montgenerve thought that it would be fine from Chambery, but I'm not convinced! I think I'll look into the charters to Turin fom Scotland and see if they do flight only.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy