Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Great morning ski touring and joined by a mad Collie on the descent - video.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Mate, who is a guide was round last night with the family for dinner and we were talking about ski tour options for today as weather was looking promising, so he suggested a route that he saw when he drove over from La Grave and thought it was looking good for snow, departing just by one of the tunnels down from Lautaret.

I got going by 07:45 and by 08:15 as I parked up there were already loads of cars (locals are all on holiday here), at the Rif Blanc tunnel and I could see a fair number of people going up.

I did take my ski crampons out of the garage and put them in the van, but made a wrong decision of not taking them as it turned out the snow was very icy. That meant I had to take a steeper line than most, which meant I was passing quite a few groups going up all who had crampons, so lesson learnt for this time of year!

Loads of avalanches from last week everywhere, some on slopes less than 20% !

Descent was superb in classic sugar spring snow, great finding the right aspect to ensure best possible spring snow, then traversing out if it started to get too soft to find another line.

Going up I passed this couple who lived in Nevache and he had an enthusiastic Collie on a lead, later I heard this shout to turn round to see that the Collie had obviously pulled him over!

On the descent the Collie went ballistic, you can see it in the video and hear the sound of his paws on the sugar spring snow!

I had just about made it to the bottom when I heard these shouts, turned out it was my mate Per and his wife Josefine going up, he shouted at me to put my skins on and join them, but I had sort of bolloxed myself on the ascent, had a blister and I'd left Pooch (my dog) in the van that would be rapidly turning into an oven if I went back up!

He rang later saying how good the descent was, and as they were a lot later, they took a different line down to what I did, taking the more W'ly facing slopes (which is affected by the sun later) having traversed under the Pointe, whilst I pretty well followed the blue dashed line which is the main randonee route up.

Forecast is now for rain in the resort here in Serre and snow at altitude, but probably rain all the way up here. So plan is to ski with Josefine in La Grave on Monday as she finishes in the guide bureau at 10:30.

Mind you when in the Mountains how to make God laugh, make a plan!

http://youtube.com/v/oh1iwGittfo

Strava track log here http://app.strava.com/activities/50594009 860m in 1hr 40 so was going some - and that's including a few stops !
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
HAHA! Love it!. I wish I could charge down a mountain in a straight line like that and stay upright Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weathercam wrote:

Loads of avalanches from last week everywhere, some on slopes less than 20% !

Seriously? That's only about 11º!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy