Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How mcuh to do Japan?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

I was wondering just what kind of budget it would cost to skii Japan?

I'm considering ditching a holiday next year in order to afford it in 2 years time and was wondering how much everyone else has spent to do it

I need to ski powder that good Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
take a look at this site for some budgetary figures.

http://japanskiexperience.com/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Japan can be very expensive. Apart from the cost of flying there, hotel accommodation, food, and ski pass are all quite costly.

If you want ski in ski out hotel facility (eg. Prince Hotel in Shiga Kogen or Naeba; Rusutsu Resort in Hokkaido; Niseko Hilton etc), you are looking at 80 quid per person per night.
Food in the hotel can be pricey, Rusutsu Resort buffet dinner was Yen5,000 per person couple of years ago. Outside in the village/town meal might be a bit cheaper, but they do inflate the price to rip off the tourist.
Ski pass generally about en4,000 per day.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am also interested in this. Purely getting an idea but in 2015 hubby had a big birhday and has always wanted to visit Japan. I was wondering if we could do a trip to celebrate and get a bit of skiing in while there but also visit more of the country.

Has any body down this?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mcuh moola!

My trip Jan-Feb 2013 was, 563GBP LHR -NAR rtn, 4 day JRE rail pass 164GBP, Budget Tokyo hotel 70GBP/night(no breakfast), Myoko Kogen B&B 50GBP/night(+breakfast), Niseko hotel 80GBP/night (+breakfast), 6 day Rhythm ski hire Niseko 195GBP/6 days, Myoko was cheaper.
20GBP on food and drink per day, skipasses 4000Y/day, exchange rate was approx 140Y at the time it's 150 now, Burger/chips/drink in green leaf cafe, Niseko approx 10GBP.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dbeatski, who was that flying with?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When I went it was cheaper to use a package from the company I linked above, rather than working your own package out....

This is from 2011 to ski Jan 2012, but price/details are

Pending flight and accommodation availability and based on 2 person travelling from 28th January 2012, we can offer a holiday package for a price of £1,695 per person including the following services:
Multi-leg flights from London to Sapporo, Sapporo to Tokyo and Tokyo to London departing London 28th Jan
Transfers from New Chitose airport to your Niseko accommodation
8 nights Niseko studio apartment accommodation from 29th Jan
Welcome meeting with experienced rep
Private mountain orientation
Full ground service support in Niseko
Transfers from Niseko accommodation to New Chitose airport
1 night central Tokyo superior hotel accommodation from 6th Feb
Recommended Tokyo itinerary
Highest levels of service and expert advice
Financial protection (ATOL: 9802)
The studio apartment accommodation included is called The Freshwater and is located in the main area of Niseko Hirafu Village, providing fantastic location near the best of Niseko's apres ski and close to the ski lifts
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, thanks. I did try and follow the link but their site doesn't work on my phone.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NickyJ, flights were ba and jal
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
NickyJ, check this out:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=97889&highlight=&sid=0c2f79ea4d389a4a8b4ab18eb9cb045c

Many of the core costs are similar to skiing in say France, but of course flights circa £500+ more, and accomm in resorts higher.

Only other thing I'd add is research guiding options; if snow in Niseko is iffy, and it was not epic when I was there, then you need a plan b to access fresh stuff...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.fall-line.co.uk/blogs/jonnyrichards/japan-on-the-cheap
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's getting cheaper every day with the value of the Yen dropping against the Pound.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Clicked through from Mike Pow link:

The Garden from DRFTWD
http://player.vimeo.com/video/55665385
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
At today's exchange rate of 152 yen to the pound

Slopeside accommodation at the Mountain Hotel, Kiroro, Hokkaido
All you can eat breakfast buffet
All you can eat dinner buffet
Lift pass valid from 9am - 8pm

can be yours for JPY 18,000 / 119 quid per person based on two sharing

add a substantial lunch with a beer for JPY 1,500 / 9.85

and drinks in the bar between JPY 500 - 1000 / 3.30 - 6.60

for no lift lines, deserted slopes, untracked powder most of the day, most days

e.g. Friday 22 February 2013

Faceshot Friday Part Deux
(Ian in green, yours truly in blue)

http://youtube.com/v/gF2WcsaICFQ
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
slikedges wrote:
Clicked through from Mike Pow link:

The Garden from DRFTWD
http://player.vimeo.com/video/55665385

Great vid. Enjoyed that.
ski holidays
Flights and general travel were easily the most expensive portion of my Japan trip but getting there from Iceland is always going to be a bit of an effort. Our accommodation was pretty cheap, 600 quid for two weeks, in a lodge that was a little way out of Hirafu which served up a huge breakfast. We walked in to the lifts a couple of times to beat the queues so it wasn't too far out but there were also regular and free shuttle buses around the place and inter-area. Lift ticket prices are comparable with Alps prices and we bought everything by the day as we tended to move around a bit to find good snow and spent the extra cash to get out away from people. Going back I'd hire a car and get out and about even further, plus there was lots of fun looking mini-golf lines by the roadside.

Food and beer really depends on were you end up. There are loads of non-bank breaking places in Hirafu but again that's a bit relative as I'm used to paying Iceland prices for things so most places tend to feel cheap by comparison.

The most expensive part is the realisation after the fact that just once is not enough. Wink
ski holidays
meh wrote:

The most expensive part is the realisation after the fact that just once is not enough. Wink

Laughing
snow report
Quote:

The most expensive part is the realisation after the fact that just once is not enough.

+1

NickyJ, when I booked in August 2012, BA and Virgin were head to head at 563 each, I think JAL and ANA were more.
Never looked at any connecting flights to Sapporo as I wanted a day in Tokyo at the start of the trip and a day there at the end.
ski holidays
DoubleBombardino wrote:

Only other thing I'd add is research guiding options; if snow in Niseko is iffy, and it was not epic when I was there, then you need a plan b to access fresh stuff...

+1

local knowledge is powder
ski holidays
What's the skiing like in the Nagano area? We passed through a couple of small ski resorts a couple of weeks ago on the bus trip from Matsumoto to Takayama on a non-skiing trip, and they looked pretty fun. I love the Japanese onsens (http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2292.html), so would like to ski somewhere in Japan sometime with good onsen facilities. I know people seem to focus on heading up to Hokkaido, but is that the best/only option?
latest report
sugarmoma666, We skied Shiga Kogen in Feb 2011,http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=84153&highlight=,http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=73205 , we didn't do any onsen, but I'm sure there must be some around there, you could always jump in with the snow monkey's
snow conditions
I have skied in Niseko 3 times and I did not find it expensive compared to top European resorts.

Lift passes and ski lessons are probably the only items that I think are expensive by comparison to Europe.

Food and drink on the hill is not expensive compared to Europe - and much better quality!

Food in the resort can be cheap or expensive.

Accommodation is cheaper than top European resorts - and again much better quality / value for money.

Transfers to the resort are fairly pricey if you take a private transfer, but reasonable if you go on the shuttle bus.

The most expensive part will be your flights to get there if you're traveling from Europe - but that's because it's a long journey.

One general observation - Japan as a whole is a cheaper holiday destination than Australia these days!!
ski holidays
Beanie1, thanks for the info, considering going in Feb 2015. Looking at the lift pass price in Niseko, it is only a few bucks more than a 6 day all area pass in Banff but you get an additional 3 days, swings and roundabouts I suppose Smile I work in the Airline industry so will be looking at Standby tickets which makes the whole thing a lot cheaper wrt flights Happy
snow conditions
sugarmoma666, no it's certainly not the only option nor necessarily the best. It is however the most readily organised to deal with incoming western tourists.
ski holidays
beanie1 wrote:
.....One general observation - Japan as a whole is a cheaper holiday destination than Australia these days!!

And North America IMO. When you add the guaranteed powder it's a no-brainer.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy