Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Storm 'fatties' on fleabay

Poster: A snowHead
After a stunning powder day last Saturday (20/4/13) in Flaine, I have the urge to get some fatties after hiring a pair of huge Movements which were fantastic and were surprisingly ok back on a very cruddy then soft piste.

Several silly cheap options on fleabay at the moment but very little by way of tests either here or t'internet in general for the models I'm looking at.

I'm not sure if I really want to got the whole hog and get Twisted Sistas as opportunities would be very limited as I ski a 2-3 weeks a year, and it's more for 'off-piste light' use rather than back country but any comments and experiences on the following :- Stormforce Pro (probably waaaay too much ski for me?) and Strike would be great, as they are the models in my size on offer. There is also a pair of Tempest and Stormforce Richochet but I feel might be too short for me at 172/175 (I'M 6' and 90 kgs) and I'm not at all sure about the green graphics

I know I should try before I buy etc. but no opportunity now. These would only be for when the right conditions allow a blast.

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ruffwood, ... I have a pair of Storm Devastator 184 cms skis with Vist 614 bindings, a demo-pair used less than a day, that I have listed in the Buy/Sell/Classified Snowheads Forum. Sadly green graphics, but would seem to be just the thing you are looking for.

BTW green graphics look half-decent on a snow white background. Cool

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=99948
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice skis and I saw your ad earlier! Cant check BSL at the moment but I'm a size 10 boot - what size are yours?

Realistically, they are probably more suited to my skiing style and ability but I have to weigh up getting a brand new pair with bindings (a bit lower spec. to yours I think?) for the same sort of price ..........which aren't green! Puzzled

Whereabout are you BTW?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ruffwood, I'm a size 10, (28.5 mondo), living the far side of Harrogate from you.

Looks like green could be an issue ...... *sulks*
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
theskibob, Damn - same size as me and not a million miles away either but I've just come across a pair sold on Ebay last month for such a ridiculously small amount of money I'm shocked - probably not as much as the person who sold them though Shocked

On top of that, I bought a jacket last week which would either go too well and make me look like a fashion victim, or clash horrendously and make me look like an even bigger nob rolling eyes

I'll have a bit of a ponder and let you know.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ruffwood, FWIW Storm skis on ebay have no bindings IIRC, whilst I believe theskibob, skis have already fitted bindings......factor in £60 at current sales costs + a fitting charge if looking at fleabay ski only costs...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've already done the sums and there isn't a lot in it with bindings, although in fairness I was looking at a quick impulse buy of £110, with bindings to be picked up at some point before next year.

No question skibobs Devastators are a good buy, it's down to whether I'll want to go even fatter and the colour.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ruffwood, you mean these.....

Someone definitely got a real steal with those Devastators............... I bet the seller was indeed Devastated! snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ruffwood, The Storm Superforce Ti in 182 is a good deal at £129.99 on ebay.

The same seller did have some Lacroix skis (quality build) that have now surfaced in Sport Pursuit at an inflated price.

Moral........................ put in a low (ridiculously low infact) bid on some half decent skis and you too may just get a pair of Devastators for £21 like some lucky chap on Ebay.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Those are the ones and yes, the seller must have been gutted! Sport Pursuit I've noticed, are not always the bargain they would have you believe either.

I'm still dithering and it's a pity that Storm aren't still about for a test or more info but then again if they were, the skis wouldn't be at that price!! I'm in no rush obviously so I'll hang fire for a bit and see what happens.

The green is growing on me Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ruffwood wrote:

The green is growing on me Wink

Even the Vist bindings have matching green covers (Pine/opaque)

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And I have all the different coloured Vist covers in stock wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Superforce ti look like a very good buy indeed. I like the idea of a bit more sidecut\shorter radius which 'should' suit piste duties better.

Looks like a fantastic ski for going quick.

Anyone actually used them who would care to give a quick impression or mini review?

Cheers
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ruffwood wrote:

Anyone actually used them who would care to give a quick impression or mini review?

Cheers

I bought a pair of the Storm Strike skis 183cm on ebay in 2011, the dark green colour. I don't think they have any rocker but with huge twin tips you still get tons of float and easy turns: I would describe it as big lazy freeride turns! (they were marketed as, I think, being a detuned version of their stiff big mountain ski which is what attracted me) I am about your height but somewhat lighter at 70 kg so float is rarely an issue. I have quiver killers in mine and use Marker Baron bindings; you wouldn't go touring with these skis but I have regularly skinned for 2+ hours without problem.

I would be interested to see the difference between the green ones and the 2012 model, also being sold on ebay with the gaudy red white and blue graphics which supposedly have nose rocker, but I cannot find a picture of the side profile to judge .

Works ok on piste but why would you? at this price you can afford to have them gathering dust until you get the right conditions. As your ONLY ski I don't think it would be a great idea though. Hope this helps
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is this discussion about big mountain/Freeride skis that are sub £150? Are they not just so cheap you can take a punt on them? I find some of the discussion on here confusing as it would seem that so many people discuss buying skis to go out and blast across mountains at high speed and therefore battling the elements and accepting not an inconsiderable amount of risk but when it comes to taking a risk on buying some skis, they look for reams of reviews on performance and suitability etc and end up clucking around like old fishwives, posting endlessly about how they are happy to wait and want to do more research.

I could understand the delay if the skis were £500+ but they're not, they are available for pennies.

Go on, buy the skis and then use them and if they are krap (and I bet they're not) then flog them off and move on to the next pair ......of heavily discounted skis.

Then go outside and run around, it's great!
ski holidays
inspark, thanks for that and they would only be for the right conditions as I have other skis .

davidhammy,
Quote:
I could understand the delay if the skis were £500+ but they're not, they are available for pennies.
You know what, I can't argue with that, you are absolutely right and I put less thought and time into buying a car! Leisure time and ski holidays in particular, are very limited in time and therefore disproportionately important (maybe) which is one of the reasons I like to get it right by having as much info as possible before taking the plunge and buying, regardless of price!

I am surprised however, at so little feedback on what appears to be a very good ski which has been out there on demo days and at shows and presumably sales weren't that bad initially!

Maybe it's because the buyers/users are too busy actually skiing to be wasting time faffing about on t'internet Wink
latest report
davidhammy wrote:
Is this discussion about big mountain/Freeride skis that are sub £150?.....

Nuff said! snowHead

Storms website......... http://www.stormskis.com/shop/freeski/superforce-ti.html
Originally priced at £499.......... ouch.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 28-04-13 15:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Ruffwood,

Just do an internet search "Storm Devastator Ski Review"..................

FYI....... "Devastator Pro" became "Devastator" in 2010/2011, dropping the moniker "Pro" so as to appeal to a wider audience. This is a mild mannered soft-ish polyvalent ski for easy piste/OP skiing. It's not a full on freeride-fantastic-supersonic-speed-ski, more an easy going OP and occaisional on-piste cruiser for most conditions. But better in soft snow than ice.

Ergo...............

Summary:

A lightweight, versatile, soft-snow ski with respectable control on groomed surfaces that's easy to turn in all conditions and speeds. Detuned and civilized version of the Stormforce Pro big ski. Crowd pleasing fat ski.

Technical Ski Data:

Beech-Poplar wood core
Triaxial and biaxial fiberglass
P-Tex 6000 base
"extra thick edges"
ABS Sidewalls
Sizes:
(125-100-120) 24m radius @ 183cm
Price ~ €550 (approximate...price not published yet)
Manufactured in the Czech Republic

Sales Channels:

Contact info@stormskis.com for direct-to-consumer sales and sales info.
Contact www.soundskis.co.uk for mail order sales through their Ebay webstore of some models. More retailers will be brought on-board for 2009-2010 season. Check their website for current listings.

Pre-Skiing Impression:

The Storm Devastator Pro is a fairly soft-flexing, compliant woodcore sandwich ski with nice dampening and a good fit and finish. The graphic design is cool, but the pre-production model tested was not as vivid as it should be for great "rack-appeal". Andy says they might have a more eye-catching intensity to the final production run of the Dev Pro. Torsionally compliant at the tip and tail, and firmer underfoot, so it should be easy to ski, but grip respectably when needed. Nice light weight. It makes me want to find powder. Unfortunately, we had no powder on our test day, so it was stuck on the groomers and rebaked mank along the sides of the groomers. Not ideal for powder ski testing, but I got a good idea of how it handles.

Test Conditions:

Dry to semi-softening packed groomers. Val-D'Isere, France. March 2009. No powder (bummer). See the photos for the "off-piste" conditions...not much.

Test Results:

The Devastator Pro is friendly. The first few turns told me the ski could be turned by anyone, and if you're looking for the big-drops and high-speed runouts, buy its stiffer brother, the Stormforce Pro. The Dev Pro is an easy-street big ski that is happy to drift at low to medium speeds, or be rolled up on edge to grip the groomers back to the lifts with confidence. I immediately thought this would be a good ski for someone who is not a hard-charging expert, but a soft-snow enthusiast who wants to enjoy the snow instead of getting a workout. Stand on it and relax. The Dev Pro is really quite easy to
turn quickly when needed, and never resists or balks. Never nervous, but perhaps a bit soft at high speeds if the surface is firm. This ski wants to be "in" snow, not "on" it. I was able to give it a pretty good evaluation on firm snow and found it to be carving on-demand if you need it. I can't honestly tell you how it behaves in powder snow or even deep junk snow, but I get the impression this is a ski that will yield a fun, easy ride without requiring intense piloting from the skier. I know it is not for high speed, deep snow arcing, but is probably more at home exploring the woods and fluffy hideaways or even a few centimeters of fresh snow at a resort. The Devastator Pro might have its name changed to just "Devastator" since the "pro" might scare people away who would otherwise find it a great buddy in the soft snow. I would put nearly anyone on this ski who wants a 100mm underfoot tool for
cruising the soft stuff, and yet have a confident hold on the groomed surfaces getting back to the lifts. "Recreational powder ski" is a term that kept coming into mind. Another crowd pleaser from Storm. I really want to try the Stormforce Pro now for a more rowdy ride.
latest report
Plus............ from www.freeride.co.uk....

http://www.freeride.co.uk/gear/skis/2011/storm/devastator.html

Ski category: Freeride
Level: Advanced

Manufacturers description
The Devastator is a mid fat freeride ski with a conventional shape and streamlined look and performance feel.The

Devastator has a solid lightweight laminate wood core made from Beech and Poplar which results in a very strong and stable ride.Due to its design and geometry the Devastator can be skied very aggressively in all types of snow conditions.

A very light, well balanced ski which moves effortlessly edge to edge offering great control of speed and line.
snow report
theskibob, thanks for those. I'd already seen them and it illustrates my point on how few reviews there have actually been, apart from those directly quoting the manufacturers blurb. There are even less for the Stormforce Ti, just a fairly negative one on tetongravity IIRC which I ignored.

Quote:
Go on, buy the skis and then use them and if they are krap (and I bet they're not) then flog them off and move on to the next pair ......of heavily discounted skis.
Interesting assumption there (bitter shop owner perhaps?) but FYI it will only be the second pair of skis I've bought that haven't been full price from a shop and as they will be very much an occasional use ski, for the right conditions, I would rather not cart them on a plane and waste valuable time finding out if they suit me.
Here's a tip though - if a thread is about a topic I'm not interested in, I don't read it. Then I don't have to suffer people 'clucking around like fishwives' Wink
ski holidays
Ruffwood, it sounds like you're after a powder ski for occasional use. These are not that - if that's what you really want, you should go fatter. What they should be (I haven't skied them) is a good everday all conditions ski. Quite a traditional shape, so probably unlikely to require much adjusting to.

Out of interest, why did you ignore the negative review?
snow conditions
Ruffwood, I bought a pair of Stomr Inferno for my son for dry slope racing (£130 on ebay, just as they are now). He does not mind them but I am always wondering if I should have saved up the cash for a pair of Salomons or Atomics or Fischers). Or should we buy up another two pairs to see him through University dry slope racing.
Not entirely parallel, but there is no rght or wrong answer to this question. Personally I would go ahead if you have a spare pair of bindings; if not then not.
latest report
Ruffwood, If I'd not got the Devastators already I'd have snapped up the Storm Superforce Ti's in 182.................. utter bargain of a set of skis.

Whenever are you going to get a set of British designed skis at 70% 0ff?

The people who highly regard Salomon or Atomic should check out just where Amer Coorp cheap out their production. Chepelare, Bulgaria.
Storm at least used decent half decent fabrication plants.
latest report
Quote:

Out of interest, why did you ignore the negative review?

Several reasons but mainly due to the fact it was written (probably) by an American and read to me as though he probably had another agenda. I tend to take many of these reports by 'rad know-all super ski dudes' with a pinch of salt on many of these sites as they are frequently inhabited by PR/marketing people.

The post may have been genuine of course but in the absence of any other posts I'm not going to give too much swaw to one persons opinion wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy