Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe d'Huez ski area - mutiny!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Some big changes are afoot for the Oz/Vaujany area of Alpe d'Huez. My understanding is that the two stations have partnered up and will split from the 'Grande Domaine' whose pistes were previously controlled by SATA and whose deal is currently up for tender although a whole area pass will still be available. I only discovered recently that the summit of Pic Blanc is actually part of the Oz territory so the new partnership will hold some sway.

Work starts this week in Oz to build a 180 space underground car park beneath the Alpette lift station while the path from the Poutran is being regraded so skiers will arrive at lift level rather than having to walk up the steps. Both Oz and Vaujany are looking to expand tourist bed capacity to 4000 in the next 2 years and the lift from the valley in Allemont up to Oz is still on the cards apparently to create the quickest uplift into the ADH area for residents of Grenoble. Interesting times, hopefully they've got their sums correct!.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nick D, thanks for posting. As a regular visitor and fan of Oz it's interesting stuff... to a point... as I wonder what effect this split will actually have on us punters.

As yet I've never had a parking issue (on the road). But I guess if they are building more apartments the new car park will be needed. I hope they don't spoil the place with the increase in numbers. It's always been quite pleasant getting in and out and up and down the mountain.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What they really need is a lift from Bourge d'Oisans into Alpe d'Huez.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jellylegs, why? Allemont is closer to Grenoble and its a shorter distance from there up to Oz than it is from Bourg up to ADH.

interesting news, Nick D. The Oz Vaujany ski area on its own has plenty to do esp if you include Pic Blanc. Can see it being a bit confusing for punters though. Even on piste, it will take a bit of care to stay in the right zone from the top of Pic Blanc
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arno, The existing (much cheaper) Oz Vaujany area pass which was reintroduced late in the day after protests from our side of the mountain last year would get you up to 2800 with return from ADH only possible via the Jeux or Babars drags not the DMC. Never heard of anyone who strayed further afield but would be interesting to know what would happen if someone rocked up to Marmottes 1 with an Oz Vaujany pass. Hopefully we'll avoid the situation of having to buy 2 passes to access the whole area, ultimately it depends who wins the tender I guess but Oz & Vaujany are clearly getting concerned as the money from EDF is due to run out quite soon so need a bigger piece of the pie.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Here's the press release (in French) of the split:

http://www.oz-en-oisans.com/templates/1/documents/Communique_Presse_Nouvel_exploitant_domaine_skiable_Oz-Vaujany.pdf
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The construction work in Oz sounds interesting Confused we're heading there for our summer holiday this year. An extra excuse to get fit and out riding the Cols during the day.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nick D, Really interesting information that. I agree with Arno, Allemont as a linking place has got to be right.
There was a link to some French government site on another post recently that showed the level of debt for each town and Alpe d'Huez was at the top, amounting to 30.000 euros per permanent inhabitant, Oz, Vaujany and certainly Allemont were well below, as were most other resorts. How much that has to do with Alpe d'Huez, or more correctly the commune of Huez, owning 51% (?) of SATA I do not know. Certainly Les Deux Alpes, which I think is again more correctly the commune of Mont de Lans (?) is in a better financial state, but they got rid of the lifts responsibility 2 years ago.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skitow, Mont de Lans shares L2A with Venosc I think.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Claude B, Yes, you might be right. A lot of these arrangements seem to be quite complicated having been built up over the years like part of the Sarenne run in Alpe d'Huez not being in Huez but in Clavans commune who vetoed the plans to put snow cannons on that part of the run. They were right though didn't need them this year Toofy Grin Strangely enough for this summer they are resurfacing the road from Alpe d'Huez up the Sarenne valley to Clavans for the Tour de France and that will remain as a road bike "circuit".
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skitow, Les Deux Alpes is literally the 2 grazing pastures (of Mont de Lans and Venosc)

I think they administer an end of town each with a mairie annex in each.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skitow wrote:
Strangely enough for this summer they are resurfacing the road from Alpe d'Huez up the Sarenne valley to Clavans for the Tour de France and that will remain as a road bike "circuit".

Much to the locals disgust! Theres been a petition doing the rounds to oppose it being paved but I'm sure the TDF holds great sway.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skitow wrote:
Claude B, Yes, you might be right. A lot of these arrangements seem to be quite complicated having been built up over the years like part of the Sarenne run in Alpe d'Huez not being in Huez but in Clavans commune who vetoed the plans to put snow cannons on that part of the run. They were right though didn't need them this year Toofy Grin Strangely enough for this summer they are resurfacing the road from Alpe d'Huez up the Sarenne valley to Clavans for the Tour de France and that will remain as a road bike "circuit".

But have they not agreed to put cannons in over the summer this year? i agree it wasnt neded this year but one of the ESF instructors was saying it had finally been given the go ahead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Curtains, I don't know to be honest but that was why I was wondering whether the tarmacing of the Sarenne road was the trade off, but from what Nick says it sounds not.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy