Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Snow

Poster: A snowHead
foley wrote:
Ok Scotland isn't the Alps but good skiing is good skiing wherever you are Very Happy

More like AK, on some of the photos I've seen Wink Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Another amazing day at Nevis today - 2 in 3 days! 6-8 inches of fresh turned the whole mountain into a powder playground. Reports and pics http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,2215

^Getting first tracks in Spikes

^Ben and Gav scoping out some lines on the way down to Braveheart

^Untracked powder wasn't hard to find
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fantastic.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
For a Scotland newby, what's the recommendation for later in the week.

I'm sort of thinking Fort William for Glencoe / Nevis, Or maybe Aviemore for Cairngorm ?

Is there much to choose between them at the moment ? Cairngorm seems to be attracting some negative comment on sites like snow-forecast.com
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great afternoon at CairnGorm on Sunday (we'll quietly forget the morning). East Wall of the Ciste Gulley was brilliant - tele skiing nice powder that wasn't too tracked out (at least initially). Was fairly busy with long queues on the WWP early afternoon, but much quieter after 3pm. Why do people head home early, especially when the weather was so nice after a horrid morning?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Red line is roughly the snow level in the SAIS blog photo linked to above on the Ptarmigan Tow (can't find a good photo of the front with no snow with just a quick look). The Tow Track and Ptarmigan Traverse is fended with 5ft fences.

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wow thats amazing snow levels!!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Winterhighland, what do you think the effects of todays rain will be/tomorrows potential snow for the West?

From P&J - new lift for Glenshee http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1676086

Quote:
The new lift, the third at the centre, will run up to the Cairnwell chairlift.

Read more: http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1676086#ixzz0kE0ROrdH

I assume it means the Cairnwell Cafe? Will it go from the car park beside the big sheds?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dave Horsley, Sometimes your just not fit enough and the old legs give way Sad

Thats why I left Nevis at 2.30. Right leg done in Happy
However, if your not physically knackered...... then I cant understand it myself .

Cheers
Bob
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dave Horsley - A lot of folk tend to leave CG between two and half three as then you can be back home in England for ten pmish. I ALWAYS leave at bang on three on a sunday, as do many others judging by the road back from Aviemore.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Esco,

That's a shame for them as they missed some of the best overhead conditions of the day - good for the rest of us as the queues on the WWP were almost non existant after 3pm.

glasgowcyclops,

My legs are acheing some what this morning - I blame the flat light in the morning and the polished state of the WWP tow track which made the poma exceptionally hard work. Nothing to do with my fitness and doing tele turns down the East Wall all afternoon.

arv,

Looking at the plans http://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/planning/apps/detail.asp?ref_no=APP/2010/0972 the detailed site map shows the sheds in the car park and the Cairnwell Cafe. Exact route isn't shown, but looks like it will be running between the two.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dave Horsley, thanks for that, this will make teaching at Glenshee so much easier!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Going by two webcams, Nevis looks like its had a very hard beating from all that rain.. and its not done with yet! Sad

ski holidays
 brian
brian
milnerhome, those 2 views are both pretty low down where cover was pretty sketchy last week so I wouldn't be over worried on that evidence alone. Mind you, first one does show the traverse round from the back coire and it's a pita of a walk back when that's gone.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
NO WHERES IT ALL GOING!!!!! Sad Sad Sad
ski holidays
Just got back to Bristol. Wow. What a few days. Friday I decided on Glencoe and was treated to great snow all over the hill with countless small cornices, gullies, drops etc to play in and the weather was superb. Looks like Nevis got it good too that day. Spoke to quite a few people on lifts - if any were snowHead s then 'Hi'.

Spent Saturday and yesterday at Cairngorm and was again treated to excellent conditions (excluding yesterday morning). Following a bit of scoping on Saturday, I skied some stuff on the head wall (first tracks Cool - good as many an alpine descent I've done recently!) and to extreme skier's left of the boundary. Also skied down the Corrie to the skier's right of Ciste to the bottom car park on the last run home - freshies everywhere. Saw a few sHs T-shirts and stickers in the bar but wanted to get in and out quick as it was pretty mental yesterday. Pics to follow in the next few days...
latest report
A few tasters as promised:

Glencoe ski hill from the road (the photo belies the true extent of snow at the top snowHead ):

Off the back of Glencoe:

Looking down Ciste Gully at Cairngorm:

snow report
Quote:

Wonder if we can keep a Scotland thread alive this year?!

arv, I think so!
snow report
some cracking photos on here at the moment, check mine out in the snow reports for Yad Moss, its the latest reply, i love the one in the clouds, could easily be 10,000ft up in the alps! brilliant. Very Happy
snow report
Ayrshire Andy, Laughing

Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
NO WHERES IT ALL GOING!!!!! Sad Sad Sad

Both those views are as low as you can go at Nevis.
ski holidays
as long as there is decent coverage at either glencoe, nevis or cairngorm 2 weeks on saturday (24th april) i will be pleased. Im just praying, i need another 2 days on the slopes, was skiing with the other half in chatel france in jan and due to her level of skiing it was very limited!!!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Heading for the weekend, the weather looks set to enter a reasonable period dominated by high pressure. Light winds, sun here and there, spring snow softening through the day, enjoy! Very Happy
ski holidays
brian, any suggestions on the best resort choice with the current conditions?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 6-04-10 20:44; edited 1 time in total
latest report
david@mediacopy, I'd wait until tomorrow to see what the situation is - currently lifts on hold at Cairngorm and there's been a fair old thaw at low level (all the snow has melted in the garden here overnight) and some thawing up the hill - not sure yet what the situation is at the other ski areas but Cairngorm has so much snow that it's taking the thaw pretty well so far (although cosmetically it looks less good than it did) and hopefully temps are set to lower and freeze things up later today.
snow report
milnerhome, those webcams are positioned very badly! from the nevis website:

After considerable amounts of rain over the last 24 hours, the ski conditions have changed. Some of the runs around the top station are broken, but there are areas for beginners. You can ski to the top station by Yockies and to the bottom of the chair by the East Wall of the Allt Sneachda.
There is good skiing to be had on the upper mountain where there is plenty of snow.
The Back Corrie and Braveheart Chairlift are unlikely to open today
snow report
 brian
brian
david@mediacopy, Cairngorm for all over cover, but still plenty of good skiing out west I would think. How long are you coming up for? Nevis to Aviemore is only just a little over an hour via the A86, so it's not so difficult to do all 3 you mention.
snow report
roga, brian, Cheers guys.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 6-04-10 20:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 brian
brian
david@mediacopy, no, I'm off to Switzerland this weekend.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian, snowHead
latest report
Hey folks, I'm thinking of heading to Cairngorm Thursday and Friday.
Weather looks like it might be settled according to the forecast, high pressure, some sun, light winds.
Does anyone know where I can park up my camper van for free up that way. It's not big (Mazda Bongo..if you know what that is ) basically like an 8 seater minibus converted to a camper. It only takes up the room of a medium sized car in a parking space.
I thought about driving up on Wednesday night and parking in the Cairngorm car park to get an early start on Thursday..would that be allowed? Or do they have gates to close off the car park at night?
Any help appreciated.
snow conditions
elcottero, search on Winterhighland about it. I have seen it being done in Glencoe and Glenshee without issue, Cairngorms might be a different kettle of fish.
snow report
How busy d'yall reckon Cairngorm will be next week, say Wednesday - Saturday, what with Easter hols still in full swing? Just trying to make a decision here.
ski holidays
any idea what snow at Cairngorm might be like by next weekend (16/17 April)?
snow conditions
elcottero, gates not generally closed overnight unless there's a dump due. Overnight parking not encouraged but not policed neither (yet).
Depending on the weather, you might want to park down around glenmore somewhere (hayfield/back at the loch) - could be a damn sight warmer/calmer overnight. Plenty of spots and same general rule of thumb regarding legit parking. In either situation you are unlikely to be alone - in fact you're unlikely even to be the only Bongo! If you want a serviced pitch and shower block etc then there's sites at rothiemurchus just outside aviemore on the ski road and up at glenmore at the foot of the hill

There's due to be evening skiing this thursday by the way if weather allows. Up to 8pm with chepish ticket available from 5pm to 8pm or whatever I think (dont quote me on the details). Could be quite nice.

boardiac, should still be all good, where the established base lies the depths are still huge

Bode Swiller, local Easter hols end this week I think so midweek shoudnt be too bad
ski holidays
hmm. what's the nearest airport?
snow conditions
Inverness for Cairngorm, Lecht or Nevis
Glasgow or Edinburgh for Nevis, Glencoe or Glenshee
latest report
cheers Ricklovesthepowder. mmm - maybe start doing groundwork for cheeky late "fix" Madeye-Smiley
latest report
boardiac, if you're in london maybe grab the sleeper from Euston. Call Scotrail. I reckon it's easier than the fly/drive option.
snow conditions
I intend to be on Cairngorm Fri and Sat. Anyone know current day pass prices and if you can get a 2 day pass? Regards.
snow report
Phew, after 2 days of storms and warm winds have just caught a glimpse of Cairngorm as the clouds cleared away and the sunlight shot down.

Am pleased to report that the upper mountain from the White Lady up (can't see lower down 'coz house roofs in the way) is still covered in white - the temp at the top has dropped down to -1.4 too Very Happy Situation will hopefully be stable for the rest of the week with perhaps even a little snow to freshen things up a little bit. Weather should be settled after tomorrow and winds are currently set to be light, could even be some sunny t-shirt weather at points from Friday on but that remains to be seen as the forecast firms up.

Bode Swiller, day ticket at Cairngorm is currently £30 - full price list (PDF) is here
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy