Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Snow

brian
brian
It's the usual Scottish story of heavy drifting and scouring, compare and contrast, Carn Aosda which always does well on a northerly ...

With Sunnyside ...

Fences have done their stuff though, and overall I'd say Glenshee looks like all the actual runs will be complete and in good shape. Glas Maol may in fact be rather tasty.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Limited number of tows open at Cairngorm now, from the looks of the webcams the mountain is smothered in snow, everything is white! snowHead snowHead snowHead

Have to admit I'm a wee bit jealous of the folk I can see on the webcams getting fresh tracks right now Mr. Green

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 1-04-10 12:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Interesting avi control today, from Colin's blog on Cairngorm:

"through our contacts at Fort George we have arranged for a military helicopter to come up and fire a few low yeild shells into the suspect tareas, so if you hear some loud thumps today you know it is us."

Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
brian, Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hey! Is anyone off to Glencoe for the weekend? I'm driving down tomorrow...I'm slightly concerned about the roads, has anyone got any tips?!

I AM SO EXCITED!!!! Can't wait, woohoo!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowgirl27, have you asked on Winterhighland?

There's a Glencoe thread over there and a lot of knowledgeable regulars post there, including the guy (igloo4you) who owns/runs the resort!

Sounds like they've had a good dump there so you'll have some great sliding - enjoy snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
roga, No, I've never seen that website, thank you!! Excellent, I can waste the remainder of my day at work looking at it Very Happy

Hope you have a brilliant easter weekend too!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowgirl27, the roads won't be a problem. I'll be driving up tomorrow (Nevis) but I have a slightly shorter distance to travel than you. Where are you staying?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
arv, staying at the Glencoe Hotel, do you know it? My geography is awful....Are Glencoe and Nevis close?!.....I've not been to Scotland before Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowgirl27, the Glencoe hotel is about half way between Nevis Range and the skiing at Glencoe. You need to drive past Glencoe ski centre to get to the hotel so if you are early enough in the day you will get a good look at the place. If you were early enough you might even be able to pick up a pass?!/hire if you need it, not sure though. Depending on weather etc it is probably worth while doing a day at each if you only have 2 days.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
arv, Oh really, excellent! I don't reckon we'll get there early enough on friday to go when we arrive which is a shame. My friend is working monday so the only day we have to board is saturday which is a shame. Maybe we could drive back late on sunday though and then could do part of sunday at Nevis! Thanks for putting the idea in my head, I want to get as much in as possible before the end of the season!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snowgirl27, you'd be better off doing Nevis on Saturday and check out Sunday morning hitting Glencoe on the way home for a half day and just pack your things in to the car and head. Would save you a half hour or so.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When I came home last night in edinburgh it was light at 6pm so you may get some skiing in Glencoe on hte friday.

cheers
bob
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowgirl27 wrote:
Hey! Is anyone off to Glencoe for the weekend? I'm driving down tomorrow...

If you're based in London then you'll be driving up Toofy Grin
Have a great time - I'm driving (up) to Scotland tomorrow also (aim to ski at Cairngorm and the Lecht). Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Average snow fall to date: 700cm
Snow depth Mid Mountain: 100cm
Snow depth Upper Mountain: 300cm
Snowfall last 48 hrs: 200cm

Thats take from cairngorm website, truly amazing conditions this year up there, 7 metres of snow, thats more that any of the resorts in the Portes Du Soleil recieve, by nearly 2m. Amazing!!!
ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
Had some people pull out on plans for tomorrow. Will still be at Nevis Range but with an intermediate-ish boarder. If you see me and want a couple more interesting laps do stop me, look like this: green Spyder jacket, Sweet trooper, old orange LPs. Have avvy gear but lacking local knowledge, rumour has it Braveheart will run weather dependant.
latest report
avvy risk at Considerable for all areas tomorrow. arv, call into patrol hut on summit they'll happily give you the jist for the good spots / where to avoid. East & NE aspects have the considerable risk for lochaber so that may put a question mark over the backs for tomorrow. I'm sure they'll check it out though and get it going if they can
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
barry, I was just going from the Nevis Range website, just had another look and I'm pretty sure they have changed the afternoon report! Already had a look at SAIS but usually tend to stop by patrol anyway. How's the dig going?
latest report
if you had to predict now, would you say there will be skiing to be had in Scotland for the first May bank holiday???
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
if you had to predict now, would you say there will be skiing to be had in Scotland for the first May bank holiday???

yes, BUT wind may shut all the resorts....
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, dare i say it - pretty much guaranteed. It's not actually unusual to get the may bank holiday even in average/margional years. This year could run and run!

arv, they will open it if it's safe I'm sure (just not so sure it will be!). dig going well, nearly have the wife's car out already! Laughing They made good progress today and got a few tows on, though the choo choo is still humped, probably till saturday
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:

Yup, there usually is at Cairngorm!
latest report
great stuff. Just checked and Friday 23rd april is looking favourite at the moment, lets just hope the snow stays!!! How much of the resort would be open in a normal year at cairngorm at this point in the year?
snow conditions
Was at Glencoe today, Main Basin was lovely, really nice snow everywhere. The Flypaper was shut, probably due to avalanche risk as it looked loaded, Spring run was really wind scoured at the top but nicer lower down, not as nice as the main basin though. Etive Glades was shut and ski patrol said it was very wind scoured when I asked, The Wall was pretty nice as well.

Going to Cairngorm for the weekend, heading up tomorrow, I can't believe how much snow they've had again!!!! I have a crap memory so will never remember the various ski/jacket/helmet combos ( and don't think we'll be seeing much of the skis, they'll be buried under all that lovely powder) so this is what I look like, feel free to say hello

http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/displaypic.php?id=12617,585#start

Me in pink jacket, will be with my boyfriend in the red and blue and two boarders. I ski Volkl Bridges, boyfriend on Icelantic Shamans

Have fun everyone Smile
snow report
arv, PM'd you was going to go to glencoe but may try Nevis.
ski holidays
Off to Glencoe this morning.
Proabably have lunch about 12-12.30 in plateau cafe
Bald bloke
Brown moah jacket (or thin red haglofs packlite)
black Columbia titanium trousers
red Lange boots
black rossi zenith 10's (cant miss the power arms)
Black demon helmet with sundown goggles the rainbow lens type

say hello of your there

cheers
bob
ski holidays
just a quick message to say to everyone heading up there have a great weekend out, as im sure you will do. The slopes look amazing and im gutted i cant make it. Have a good Easter folks!!!
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder, thanks and the same from me too snowHead

Am, about to head off myself right now, Perth overnight and then Cairngorm Saturday morning - will be great to get away from damp, rainy, miserable Bristol Very Happy

Have fun and I'll pop on if I have time when I'm on WiFi.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like a cracking day up on the Gorm today with the blue skys!

after all the problems I'll be up on the hill for only two days, hoping to be using the hellbents but if not i'll be on bandits and thats the 7th and 8th of April

Anyone coming down Yorkshire way from Scotland on the 9th or 10th and could give a lift for two people with skis and boards for petrol money? I'm just trying to extend the time up there thats all.
snow report
Nevis Range was ridiculously good today. Probably my best day of the season so far.

Coire Dubh was totally untouched so fresh tracks were easily had all day. Climbers Col was the best run of the day. Traverse back round was getting rocky. Some photos to come but didn't really get many...
snow conditions
latest report
arv wrote:
Nevis Range was ridiculously good today. Probably my best day of the season so far.

Coire Dubh was totally untouched so fresh tracks were easily had all day. Climbers Col was the best run of the day. Traverse back round was getting rocky. Some photos to come but didn't really get many...

Think it was my 2nd best day there this season... good to meet you none the less snowHead

Edit: I have a few photos aswell... Just seen Cairngorm on the news and it looked a whole host busier than Nevis today... and the skiing can't have been any better for any standard of skier...

The green runs by the gondola were complete....
The blue to the east of the alt sneada was so good I did 2 extra runs on it after I convinced myself to leave.... and the summit runs were hero snow....
The red graded Goose and the slightly steeper east wall of it were super....
And for blacks the back was is great shape.....

Oh and no more than 2 or 3 people in the queue for any lift all day...

go slide......

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 2-04-10 19:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
looks absolutely stunning arv, god i wish i could make it up next weekend. Im just praying there will be some left on the 23rd april!!!
snow report
hey! Have just arrived in glencoe after a mammoth drive (up from london not down...thanks alastair!). Was wondering if anyone had any ideas which would have better snow conditions tomorrow, glencoe or nevis? Your photos from today look amazing arv, i was thinking maybe there since your photo looks so good!
snow report

snow report
arv, You could be in Alaska with that 1st pictures!

Recon it'll be any good come Wednesday/Thursday next week?
ski holidays
Snowgirl27 wrote:
hey! Have just arrived in glencoe after a mammoth drive (up from london not down...thanks alastair!). Was wondering if anyone had any ideas which would have better snow conditions tomorrow, glencoe or nevis? Your photos from today look amazing arv, i was thinking maybe there since your photo looks so good!

Tomorrow doesn't look particularly nice so I would hit Glencoe (more terrain if the back corries don't open due to vis). Sunday looks like it will be a good day.

milnerhome wrote:
arv, You could be in Alaska with that 1st pictures!

Recon it'll be any good come Wednesday/Thursday next week?

No idea, not checked the weather but there will definitely be snow.

Considering how busy the roads were Nevis was absolutely dead today.
snow conditions
arv wrote:

Considering how busy the roads were Nevis was absolutely dead today.

err..... that was quite busy... I don't normaly go at the weekend but as all the lifts were running I think people spread out ....
latest report
II, ahh, I can only go Friday->Sunday (usually). Expected there to be at least some queuing considering it is a holiday!
snow conditions
arv, I should have come to Nevis and met you.

Because I went to glencoe. It was brilliant and a nightmare.

Let me explain.
Left Glasgow at 7.10.
breakfast in green wellie. PS Do you have a burgandt golf arv? I followed this up from Gt western rd and a bloke seemed to have gear like yours.

Anyway back to the story

Got to Glencoe carpark, realised it was too warm for a thick jacket so put my ski jacket in the boot. A car came by and I shut the boot and the car door.... only to lock my carkeys in the car.

Yes I was that Phanny locked out of the Silver Volvo.
How did I get into a car with en electronic lockdown (like something out of a sci-fi movie), well the guy from green-flag got his tools into the car via a gap he made int the door.
He managed to pull down the back seat.
He dragged me jacket from the boot.

we worked it into the front seat (because the front door gap could be made bigger) and managed to get a sleve out of the gap.

Then worked the edge of the jacket round until I got the keys out of the pocket. Hoooray Happy
Got one the slopes at 11.45am but what an afternoon.

THe sun was splitting he sky the snow was beautiful.

went down the spring run (slowly) for the first time. It was wonderful.

From your pics it looks liek Nevis had more cover, but glencoe was wonderful today.

Back home, had a curry and now having a glass of wine.

All in all a perfect day.

If any snowHead wer emy helpers to get into the car or encouraged me during the day. Thanks guys

All the best
Boib
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy