Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2013/2014 (Post Season 50cm New Snow :-)

Poster: A snowHead
Dashed wrote:
Def more of that needed! Just back from first week in St Anton and never come across so many idiots on the piste in over 20 years of skiing. Was last week particularly bad or is the place always like that? I was nearly taken out by a British guy skiing like a tool down Happy Valley late one afternoon and I wasn't exactly dawdling - when i had a chat with him when he next stopped, he informed me it was my responsibility to look up the slope for skiers coming from above!! Decent skier too - should know better Sad

I was passed by a 'gorilla turning' dude flying down from Rendl today. it was a little sloppy and bumpy, and busy in places. but he just flew through, out of control. poles rigidly placed at 45 degrees behind him. I was going to suggest he slow down when we got to the gondola, but when I heard a deep geordie accent say 'That was the best !*(&ing run of my life' I figured my comments might fall on unreceptive ears. At least he went to the bar afterwards ... done at 2pm.

St Anton is always a little zoo-like. Come to Lech where it's much more civilized on piste, and off-piste, is, well, all yours ... it was nice and quiet at St Anton today though, until all the lifts on Galzig closed due to wind. then it got a bit crazy Wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gortonator,

Lech is for the blue piste pussys Very Happy

St Anton has always been hard & fast its just we have atteacted a lot more incompetent
skiers out of their depth choosing the wrong ski area.....

Folks

Because of the rain the Town cleared out early yesterday. Many Germans & Dutch
took off home .

Empty slopes today & this week will be quiet.

Some dandruff up on Rendl this morning.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yay more warm weather! Crying or Very sad

She's a harsh mistress is this season!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stanton wrote:
Pistes are excellent shape.

There have been quite a few fights (directly after apres ski 20.30 onwards) in town the last few days.
A young English group violently attacked some older middle age (non english) people near the Galzigbahn.

An employee of one of the mountain Apres Ski bars was attacked by a group after work downtown.

Sadly, not overly surprising. St Anton is the only ski town in the Alps that's felt like alcohol is more important to its brand than the skiing was.

stanton wrote:

St Anton has always been hard & fast its just we have atteacted a lot more incompetent
skiers out of their depth choosing the wrong ski area.

Been there, seen it, got turned off by it. It may have been great once but St Anton probably had it's heyday a long time ago. In my experience, it now compares with Alpe D'Huez for its ratio of incompetent, but over-confident muppets who at a guess, are the same testosterone and lager fuelled 'hard and fast' Dutch and English heroes burning up the 'blue piste pussys' and spoiling for apres ski bar fights. wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
moffatross wrote:

Sadly, not overly surprising. St Anton is the only ski town in the Alps that's felt like alcohol is more important to its brand than the skiing was.

Thats not true & there have been significant measures to change that.

Nearly all Apres Ski is now on the hill where ae in the 70,80,90's it was hugein town ad well.

It continued untill whwenever that last person left.

Opening hours of bars & clubs have been curbed (they use to be open till dawn)

Boots are not allowed in many places now after 20.00hes.

Have you been to Saalbach or Ischgl?

stanton wrote:

skiers out of their depth choosing the wrong ski area.

Been there, seen it, got turned off by it. It may have been great once but St Anton probably had it's heyday a long time ago. In my experience, it now compares with Alpe D'Huez for its ratio of incompetent, but over-confident muppets who at a guess, are the same testosterone and lager fuelled 'hard and fast' Dutch and English heroes burning up the 'blue piste pussys' and spoiling for apres ski bar fights. wink[/quote]

This is true but St Anton has always had a hard drinking culture if you ever went to the KK or Bahnhoff Bar years ago!
This is where it all started Ski hard , Play hard!

At the end if the day if you come here to ski pistes you take your chances but
this is an off piste mecca & thats what attracts folksm

The pustes are just there to get you to the off piste & to the bars at the end if the day
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stanton,
Quote:
gortonator,

skiers out of their depth choosing the wrong ski area.....
How can so much shite fit into such a small brain Puzzled Oh, and who are we exactly? I wasn't aware St.Anton belongs to the Käseroller now.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Steilhang,

Your learn Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm baffled by this latest turn of discussion, but all I know is, when there's pow in Lech/Zuers (not this week unfortunately), I can ski it all day, fresh lines, and not venture far from pistes/ski routes. Posh people don't ski pow. In St Anton, hucksters and muppets mop up pow US-resort style, gone in 2 hours.

Today was pretty average BTW - the great glue maker in the sky came out about 2pm in Lech and made everything very slow. At least the vis improved - I hung out on Steinmadler until 3.30 by when I needed beer. Was skiing pistes today as everything off was trashed - even north facing at Lech and Warth.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Plenty of powder around Lech and Zurs, often long after a storm, if you know where to look.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Does anyone have experience of the Zurs ski school? Or some recommended good kids instructors in the area? Over w/c 5th April and looking for a ski school for our kids! Will be staying in Stuben, so was considering trying a Zurs or Lech ski school as we haven't been that impressed with the Stuben ski school in past years.

regards,

Greg
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The best thing about Lech is the Strolz boot shop. I was there this morning.
Bus straight back to Zurs for some turns on the Trittkopfkar.

Been some dust on Stuben North Face so put in a line down there..

Folks.

This week is going to very warm again,may get some Brief relief on Wednesday
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
really hot? that's a surprise...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Long range forecast seems to indicate possible storms next weekend... but that's been the story of the season, always a week away Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's cool I have my spies in the field sniffing out powder stashes for my arrival on Friday!

Big issue I saw on the Weekend was a lot of full layer slides completely clearing out the south faces, that's the end of them for the season I think

latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dulcamara,

They were controlled slides. The ones on Schindkerkar were controlled also but during
Skitime 16.00hrs which is unusual..
latest report
Not just the south facing slopes either, was up Kapall earlier and noticed a full layer slide on the opposite side of the Mattun bowl (where the itinerary comes in from Valluga).

stanton, what day did they slide Schindler? I know over the weekend some of the higher lifts closed due to wind, so maybe they sorted it then?

Cinditions are what you'd expect given the weather. I've been unable to go out in the mornings this past week due to work, but the afternoon's are the standard slush fest, although Rendl much better, as are Stuben and Zürs from what friends have said. Forgotten how much fun boarding in the slush can be, especially as there weren't too many people on the slopes, either sunning themselves on terraces or just not in resort Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

Rendl much better

Isn't most of Rendl SW facing? I'd have thought that would be pretty slushy too?

(EDIT not meaning to contradict you, I'm sure you're right, just curious as to why Happy )

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 17-03-14 21:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Folks.

It is not Unsual i.e quite normal for controlled slides on the South facing slopes
especially at this time of sesson. Thats why they have had gazex installed for over 15yrs.
It is nothing to worry about.

Only thing you have to realise outside the controlled ski area this
Is what happens all over the place
ski holidays
sah wrote:
Quote:

Rendl much better

Isn't most of Rendl SW facing? I'd have thought that would be pretty slushy too?

(EDIT not meaning to contradict you, I'm sure you're right, just curious as to why Happy )

Mostly West facing, and a lot at 2000m+. When we were up there last week it was nice and firm pretty much everywhere above Riffel 1 base station height. Down to Maaßbahn had softened up, as had short sections of R12 which were south facing. Imagine it's still pretty much the same, my accom owner (lived/skied here all her life) when I spoke to her today as I was about to head up at 1pm said go Rendl side as it'll be too slushy the other side. Ignored her tho and went to play in the slushy stuff, more fun! snowHead
snow conditions
Rendl is primarily North North West facing. The slopes do not get affected by the sun as much as the sunny side Gampen etc.

Rendl also does not get as much snow as the Western Flank (UlmerHutte,Stuben Zurs) so it
goes to show how well the snow us preseved on Rendl..

It is the locals hill, few pistes but huge access to off piste.

Folks

Another very warm day & will stay this way (yesterday +15C on top Galzig) untl
at least Saturday.

Next week from Sunday finally a cold front coming in . Drop in temps & snow..
ski holidays
Quote:

Believe it when I see it
snow report
stanton wrote:
Rendl is primarily North North West facing. The slopes do not get affected by the sun as much as the sunny side Gampen etc.

It really isn't.

The off piste from the top of Gampen is north facing (N face and Schimmeleck), routes off the "back" (Hinterrendl and Voderrendl etc) are NE, and the valley piste is mainly on the north side but everything else (i.e. the lifts, the pistes and ski routes and punter accessible off piste) is pretty much bang on West facing. Just look on Google maps.

I agree it's a good place, I've often found it in better condition than elsewhere, I guess that the slopes stay good because they are shaded all morning and are fairly high up. Rossfall might be a different matter, that gets a lot of sun, anyone skied that recently?
ski holidays
dulcamara wrote:
Quote:

Believe it when I see it

Looking more like dribbling of rain according to latest Snowforecast
snow report
Bergfex is predicting a major dump, as they did for every other major dump that didn't turn up this season Evil or Very Mad
http://www.bergfex.at/stanton-stchristoph/wetter/berg/
snow report
Whoa, things looking serious again. Will it really happen this time?
snow report
Um, no. Looks like not happening for Austria anyway
snow report
Bergfex still reckons 55cm at altitude on Sunday... I'm only writing that so I can come back tomorrow and check what it was, it's be saying 2cm by the time we get to Saturday.
snow conditions
The farmers are already preparing their fields in St Jakob that is unheard
of in previous seasons.

We can expect some snow higher up next week.

Locasl think the big snow will come when they have shut up biz & on vacation
in Mexico.

Folks it was raining in the valley this morning you could reallt smell that
Farmyard air. No new on hill.

Sun is breaking out for the rsst of the day.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dulcamara, one of your spies is laid up with a knackered ankle Sad tree stump 1 v 0 me!

Was pretty lucky managed to side slip down off bottom of Rendl North Face late PM Monday, out with guide, he did a great job getting me down.......cheers Torben! The thought of a Heli ride wasn't one I was looking forward to but he asked me and I said no I'd get down, thankfully did due to his great work, never noticed all those large moguls in such volume until you're struggling! very painful but not broken however swollen badly and can't get my ski boot on, hoping tomorrow I can! The pistes beckon, OP is all about done for this year and unless it snows soon these temperatures will severely limit on piste options too I reckon.

I really hope that for those coming in next few weeks it does snow at the weekend, Bergfex looking promising but there again it can all change, and frequently does rolling eyes
snow conditions
sah, was on Rossfall with guide just after lunch Monday, very nice but a large slide up by the dam so Rossfall (same aspect and much higher) is not recommended above the side step, stay low on entry and ski down across to Maas. Some snow was very sketchy, other areas almost Firn, but not much Firn about anywhere, most snow after lunch has no structure and is just sliding away, very unstable. Been sunny and super warm since so I'd be very wary out there right now........great weather for drinking beer though!
latest report
Ahh rubbish!! RICE it and I'll see you guys on Friday, i need my guides!
snow report
Markymark29, sorry to hear about the ankle, sounds like an epic descent.

I'm not relying on Bergfex, so I'm heading to Sud Tirol next week. Same warm temps but they have a massive base... and there's no shortage of pistes in the Dolomites:-)

Back to the Arlberg with a vengance next season Happy
snow report
sah, good plan......and yes hope to catch up here next season, locals jetting roads down in town and planting flowers, just seen a guy buying a bag of compost and a load of spring flowers, town full of boarders on skate- boards!! Sun's just come out, off down Rosanna for a hobble before RICE again later!
ski holidays
Sprained or fractured ankle Had both in Colorado. Thei boot acted likw a plastercast.

Getting the boot on was painful but end of the day make sure you had plenty of beer because
Removing the boot would normally require a dose of morphine!

If your flying home make sure you take plenty of Asprin before the flight.

Rendltalfarht

This morning there has been a small lanslide on the piste down . The Piste boys have part of the hill roped
off . I think more will come down as it doe not look that safe.
snow report
sah, loads of people were still getting it good offpiste in Sud Tirol last week, sooooo many shaded couloirs that looked really really nice!

Markymark29, were you able to ski today? Shame we couldn't meet up this season again, hopefully we will next!
latest report
12z GFS brings back decent snow Sunday into Monday and more seasonal temps....

I'm hoping at least the higher pistes will hold up until were are out w/c 5th April....
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
sah, loads of people were still getting it good offpiste in Sud Tirol last week, sooooo many shaded couloirs that looked really really nice!

This was mid-week last week, amongst the baking hot temperature, slushy pistes and general doom and gloom about the end of the season wink

ski holidays
Dashed, was that taken in the Arlberg?

GFS still keeping cooler temps and good snowfall from Sunday onwards.

Backed up by the stanton website and bergfex Very Happy

Quote:
Now, that spring has officially started, the spring-like weather will depart. Tomorrow Friday promises bright sunshine. The beautiful weather will be accompanied by a foehny south-westerly wind. These conditions are particularly forecast for Saturday, despite that harmless clouds will interfere with the weather. They signal the extensions of a cold front, which will mark the end of the foehn wind on Saturday night. A low-pressure area located over Italy will develop, and result in a longer period of winter weather from Sunday on. The snow line will sink to a level of 1000 meters on Sunday. Wet and cold late winter weather is forecast starting next week.
ski holidays
Wednesday:

sah wrote:
Bergfex still reckons 55cm at altitude on Sunday... I'm only writing that so I can come back tomorrow and check what it was, it's be saying 2cm by the time we get to Saturday.

Thursday : Bergfex now saying 82cm over the weekend (at altitude) ... Shock
snow conditions
Some closing dates.

Final Apres Ski this season Picadilly 21st March

Krazy Kanguruh Final day 5th April
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy