Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
carled wrote:
dk100 wrote:
Fruity, Shocked Shocked Can't see what you said to deserve that verbal onslaught. Not all snowHead act like that, thank God Little Angel

Yep, just me. I'm such a rogue. You can tell I feel really chastised by your backhand wrist slap too, can't you dk100? Thanks for caring. Who's "God" btw?

Anyhow. You alpine folk, find something warm to wear very soon... there be a big cold a comin' snowHead

Behave ! You're good ... but not as good as Brian wink snowHead
BTW - even the freebies are saying 'Getting Colder' ...... not difficult that one when it's 12 degrees at 1800m in January !!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mattmulkeen wrote:
Tops - loved this banter last year - whatever happened to carled - i seem to remember some massive barny occuring Puzzled

He he, just re-read the first few posts... makes for interesting reading actually...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shoogly, unfortunately yes! But it has been this warm for the last week (not everyday but there have been a few!) WE have goggle tans from hell all over the valley!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
lol... can just picture it.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
shoogly, sorry your question and my other post crossed. A system can zip across the atlantic in a day or less with the jetstream in the right place ... or it can stall, dissipate and never get to us. A bit of a how long is a piece of string I'm afraid.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Agenterre wrote:
carled wrote:
dk100 wrote:
Fruity, Shocked Shocked Can't see what you said to deserve that verbal onslaught. Not all snowHead act like that, thank God Little Angel

Yep, just me. I'm such a rogue. You can tell I feel really chastised by your backhand wrist slap too, can't you dk100? Thanks for caring. Who's "God" btw?

Anyhow. You alpine folk, find something warm to wear very soon... there be a big cold a comin' snowHead

Behave ! You're good ... but not as good as Brian wink snowHead
BTW - even the freebies are saying 'Getting Colder' ...... not difficult that one when it's 12 degrees at 1800m in January !!! Toofy Grin

I've already confessed as much. Check out the search facility for something to do with pimples on a Jeff Goldblum-like bottom... Shocked

I'm not as good as abar-whatever either. Apparently he's basking in the warm rosy glow of success after predicting 10cm of snow in (I think) Kransjka Gora on (I think) Feb 2nd... but I got a bit lost and bored in the self-congratulatory fuzziness of it all.

I did say back in mid-Jan that it was going to (apart from the brief cold spell last week) get warm again up til around now! (to which Brian countered (probably correctly, haven't checked!) that overnight temps would be brass monkeys so it wouldn't be too damaging.) I'm bad, but I'm not *that* bad...

Anyway, to add some detail to my latest prognosis, it's going to be reet parky across the alpine region on and around the weekend and for a few days beyond. I would not be at all surprised to see temps getting below -20 in several locations. Also there will be some snow about. Sadly I can't tell you how much - a reasonable covering - but I'm sure Abar-some-number-that-escapes-me-right-now will be along shortly to fill in the relevant depth for those interested.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
carled, ROFLMAO .... excellent style ! BTW --- 3 degrees warmer than predicted by most here now , so tomorrwow could be a scorcher ........ systems not behaving well !
snow report
 brian
brian
Temperatures should return to something like average wed-thu then getting a good bit colder at the weekend with what looks like moderate-ish snowfall on Saturday to low levels pretty much across the alps. This is no nailed on megadump however, so crossed fingers and copious snow dancing are probably the order of the day.

No clear picture emerging from Monday onwards yet.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brian/carled, ever fancied doing this for a living?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
carled, wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of it, but I just LEURVE your style!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle, I have been...... and it was wicked Cool
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
At one stage during the posts I was going to ask a question.....but thought better of it! I've now stopped looking at the 'punter' sites and just rely on this one...both for sensible info and entertainment Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Baking here today. Been walking rather than skiing; bare arms, loads of suncream, picnic overlooking the Hauteluce valley. The local forecasts do not seem to be talking about big snow, though they never (never!) mention quantities. Lap of the gods indeed. The Chamonix meteo forecast, which is usually reasonably accurate, is only talking about a few showers. Am snow dancing. Was chilly overnight, but despite clear skies not really cold; barely freezing at 1550m (big inversion, it was probably freezing hard down in the valley and colder higher up). We had breakfast on the terrace in the sun at 0900 and needed the umbrella to shade us from the sun. Ridiculous, but truly enjoyable as long as it gets cold again soon.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 28-01-08 17:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, sorry... I remember that episode. Embarassed I do quite like you now, honest... (admin, can we have a pink gay bunny smiley please?) Twisted Evil

ski-finder, doing what? Being sarcastic? Hmmm. If only I could find the marketplace for my talents. Weather forecasting? Not a chance!

I worship stab's posts, personally, for laconic charm. I look forward to stalking him with doughnuts in Wengen some time in mid-March. Yoohoo! stabby!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
carled, whatever you do... don't do a google search for that at work!

"(admin, can we have a pink gay bunny smiley please?)"
latest report
you could always just use this though

latest report
Did everyone else just hear the clattering of keys and the excited "whirr" of the Google server farm then following Shoogly's post...? If ever there was a "don't think about pink elephants on surfboards" post, that was it...

latest report
carled, 'but I'm sure Abar-some-number-that-escapes-me-right-now will be along shortly to fill in the relevant depth for those interested. '

ooooooooo, i got to you..... haha Very Happy
snow report
 brian
brian
ski-finder, if I'd wanted to do it for a living, I wouldn't be telling you all where to find the data to do it yourselves. It's nice that a few people like reading this stuff but I reckon I'm only considered an expert on here because nobody bothers to go back and call me for the stuff I get wrong. Confused
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
abar1990 wrote:
carled, 'but I'm sure Abar-some-number-that-escapes-me-right-now will be along shortly to fill in the relevant depth for those interested. '

ooooooooo, i got to you..... haha Very Happy

Oh yes. I'm stalking these very boards looking for posts by you right now so I... whoa... wait...

Yep. *zing* indeed. I am well and truly "got" to. "pwn3d", even, I believe the word is amongst you young scalliwags?
snow report
brian wrote:
I'm only considered an expert on here because nobody bothers to go back and call me for the stuff I get wrong. Confused

Life's too short Toofy Grin

BTW - Carled absolutely with you about STAB and his posts ....... the key to the man is finding his Better Half .... most people who have been to Wengen have seen her ! Shocked Hopefully by now she doesn't introduce herself as Mme. Stab ! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
brian, have you ever known a weather man always get it right??? I think both you and carled, do a very good job and are probably much more correct than i am with my witchy beliefes and following the moon! Dont stop me looking here though eh! And you lot aren't the only ones who think i'm mad with my moon predictions, aparently my mates here are buying me a cauldron for my birthday! We'll see by the end of the season when it did snow, i'm making a chart!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowangel. wrote:
We'll see by the end of the season when it did snow, i'm making a chart!

Makes mental note to:

a) stockpile wood to burn snowangel at the stake in case of her being right
b) remind her about said snowchart in the event of her being wrong

win-win!

wink snowHead
ski holidays
carled, sounds fair to me! Very Happy I just went through all my snowing posts to make sure it was up to date. It is scarily accurate Very Happy But i wouldn't bet my life on it Very Happy Ultimately it is weather and can always catch you out! Next new moon is 7th feb and full moon is 21st of feb, same for march.
watch this space! Very Happy
snow conditions
Think that this plenty for anyone going in a week to 10 days time to be fairly happy about at this stage. Ensembles still continue the trend.

latest report
carled wrote:
Oh no... I've been barking at eng_ch's friend... I'm sorry (btw eng_ch... that ski trip we pm'd about is now looking like up to 14 people could be involved! Might be a bit of a squeeze for your place! I'm getting everyone to sort out how TRULY interested they are before going any further... rolling eyes)

oh yes.......... you're in trouble now Carled. I just ordered baking heat and sunshine to hit Laax some day soon. That'll teach yer. I knows some good voodoo. 'Specially if that Eng person doesnt stop emailing me photos of her place when I'm trying to work. Heathrow isnt the best view.

so back to wondering what on earth Lisach just posted...... Embarassed
latest report
(takes deep breath...) (counts to 10...)

(counts to 20...)

Fruity, OK, maybe the thread is a little hard to find. It's hidden away at the top of the page where it's very difficult to, erm, see... obviously... so here are the edited highlights...

Quote:
As you can see there are quite a few lines, each one tells us one possibility of the model (in this case GFS). The closer together they are, the more certain the prediction.
The thick red line is the 30-year average.
The thick blue line is the most probable model run (and is the one seen in the colourful maps shown on here)
The grey line is the average of all the model runs

- The lower set of lines represents precipitation, following the same arrangement as the temperatures. The total precipitation at a given location is proportional to the area bounded by each line. One can say that, the further off in time, the less probable a prediction is.

To calculate snowfall:
- The 850mb pressure level is at about 1450 meters altitude

Quote:
Ensembles:
All the major numerical models (GFS, ECMWF, UKMO etc) run more than once each time they are issued. The reason for this is that although they each get fed a lot of data into them for each run, the data can never be considered perfect. To counteract this the model is run again with slight changes to the original data. Using the GFS as an example, the model is run 10 more times, 5 times with the data positively changed and 5 times with the data negatively changed.

By following the ensembles you can get an idea of the likelihood of the forecast given by the main (control) run of the model being correct - if a large number of the ensemble runs are very similar to it, it is a good indication that confidence is reasonably high of the outcome. If very few of the ensemble runs show that outcome, then it is quite probable that it may well change.

The ensembles are done four times a day and are known as "00z", "06z", "12z" and "18z". They are generally available on about a 6 hour delay, so you can see the 00z until around midday, when it will change to the 06z and so on... The data input into the forecasts changes on each run as follows:

00z - Weather buoy, satellite data, shipping data, country data, NOAA data
06Z - Weather buoy, satellite data, shipping data
12Z - Shipping data, Satellite data ONLY
18Z - Weather buoy, satellite data, shipping data, country data, NOAA data

Basically you want to see low temps in conjunction with precipitation in order to achieve the best snow possibilities!

Howzat...?
latest report
 brian
brian
carled, crawler ! wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Carled is politely trying to say RTFM, which is located here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=14852
snow report
brian wrote:
carled, crawler ! wink

Shhh. I was a teensy bit sarcastic too...
ski holidays
Carled / Brian,

I surely bow to your superior weathergence.....I have followed both last season and this.

I see this GFS which is what I follow but have seen other models mentioned and have noticed very different numbers on netweather.tv for example which would tell me they use a different model or do they just pick one ensemble?

BTW off to Morzine 9th Feb so if you can cook up some pow for my 40th b-day that would be the most perfect present!!!!
latest report
RetroBod wrote:
Carled / Brian,

I surely bow to your superior weathergence.....I have followed both last season and this.

I see this GFS which is what I follow but have seen other models mentioned and have noticed very different numbers on netweather.tv for example which would tell me they use a different model or do they just pick one ensemble?

BTW off to Morzine 9th Feb so if you can cook up some pow for my 40th b-day that would be the most perfect present!!!!

Cor blimey. There're loads of the little buggers. GFS, GEM, JMA, NOGAPS, UKMO, FAX, ECMWF... In fact, go here: http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsenseur.html and look in the top left box... there the little darlings are - click away.

Each model has its own fans and each has its own traits, strengths and weaknesses. netweather.tv has a very good learning area to help out a bit: http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showforum=24
ski holidays
Wow, i like the look of this Very Happy

(Kitzbuehler Alpen area)

Am i right in assuming that the temp drop and snow fall is pretty likely to happen now as its only 3-4 days away?
latest report
Yeah but the precipitation is progged to fall as the temp is dropping on the cold front moving in. With Kitz being a bit on the low side some of this early precipitation may be a bit wet/sleety... Same goes for the blob likely to be around on the 7th-ish. Bear in mind that these temps are at 1500-ish metres, way, WAY above the valley level in Kitz and a large amount of that area. Good snow potential higher up, but borderline lower down. Not too windy around either time though, so a better chance of evaporative cooling I suppose. It's always hard to predict what'll happen around mountains, but in the worst case scenario there will at least be fresh snow on the upper slopes.
snow report
carled - OK, I'm getting the hang of the temperature/precipitation aspect of these graphs, but windy - now that's a new angle for me! Are you reading wind of this chart as well or from some other source?
latest report
Calling out for an expert who is prepared to stake their reputation on a forecast for this coming weekend it the Otztal valley, Solden to be precise. Reding between the lines, I'm thinking clear blue skies Thur-Sat, maybe a little wind, possible snow towards the end of the weekend, temps around freezing ??
snow conditions
 brian
brian
RetroBod, a quick expansion of carled's post above. I don't follow netweather so I don't know which numbers you're referring to but if it's a free forecast that goes out to 15 days then it's 99% certain to be coming from GFS data.

So the currently available state of NWP (numerical weather prediction, 1st acronym in already wink ).

The clear leader in the verification stats and therefore the current leader of the pack is (drum roll .....):

- ECMWF, European Centre for Medium-range Weather Forecasts, it's a collaborative venture between numerous european countries.

They run twice a day (midnight and noon) and the freely available output goes out to 240 hours in 24 hour steps and consists of surface level pressure and 850 hPa temperature and wind charts. They run an ensemble of 50 members but we can't see it (except for one location in Holland, not much use).

Fighting it out for 2nd place, the other 2 members of the so called "big 3":

- GFS, Global Forecast System, the model of NOAA, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, a US govt agency.

They run 4 times a day (every 6 hours) and the entire dataset is published for free by a variety of sites out to 384 hours in 6 hour steps (the first 180 hours at 3 hour steps). You get everything with this one, pressure, precip, temp/wind at various heights etc. etc. They run an ensemble of 20 members.

- UKMO, our own UK Met Office.

They run twice a day (midnight and noon) and publish pressure charts out to 144 hours in 12 hour steps to T+96 then 24 hour steps. They also publish temp and precip charts out to 72 hours. No free ensemble data, don't know what they do.

So that's the 3 it's worth looking at. Then we have the "lesser models". Actually that tag is a little unfair on ...

- GEM, the Canadian model, which isn't far off GFS and UKMO these days.

... but these aren't much cop:

- JMA, Japan
- NOGAPS, the US Navy
- DWD, the Germans

On top of that little lot, we have the FAX charts. These are produced by actual human forecasters using the model output and they draw on the fronts, troughs etc. This requires a pretty high degree of skill. It can be quite illuminating to look at the met office's ones though, as they have full access to their own model (obviously) but also the ECM and GFS, so you can sometimes get an idea of which model the real experts have confidence in.

So where can I look at all this stuff, brian, I (don't) hear you cry ? Laughing

Why at http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten

and http://meteociel.fr/modeles/

of course !

Happy weather watching. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
AlexF wrote:
carled - OK, I'm getting the hang of the temperature/precipitation aspect of these graphs, but windy - now that's a new angle for me! Are you reading wind of this chart as well or from some other source?

Not wind from the 850hpa chart. Another set of charts from wetterzentrale as per Brian's post just above.
ski holidays
Brian, I've posted your detailed thread into the beginners guide....hope thats ok Smile
ski holidays
 brian
brian
masmith, ah, our premium service, how would you like my bank details ? wink

Oh, ok then, rolling eyes This is what it looks like now, but detail will likely change a bit, Sunday is 5 days away which is really too far out for detail.

Thurs - sunny, FL peaking around 1500m.
Fri - clouding over, wind picking up a bit, FL rising to 1800m or so.

overnight snow (not huge amounts) down to 1000m or so then

Sat - much colder, FL right down to valley floor, skies clearing
Sun - cold and sunny
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy