Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2011/12 snowreport

Poster: A snowHead
Nadenoodlee, like Pam we found it great to escape a busy day in main areas. We did manage the circuit though skied straight past Pamski's[/b] restaurant recommendation rolling eyes The snow wasn't fantastic, but then it wasn't great anywhere and I would happily go back.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
paulio wrote:
under a new name because it looked almost vertical, covered in moguls the size of horses, and I nearly did a poo in my pants

Fair do's. I also found an "alternative" route the first 2-3 times I went to inspect that piste from the top. Love it now though, even my kids can handle it. Ya wimp. wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
To be fair our entire group of 4 bottled it, not just me. The conditions looked grim.

I'll do it this year, and if I die (or poo my pants) then its YOUR fault andyph and Nadenoodlee, OK?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm with Paulio on this one.

Except that I won't be doing it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Glad you got your balls back paulio,
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
paulio, bags not sitting next to you on the lift. Whatever happens, you'll pong.

So anyway, how are we all fixed for, say, 4th or 5th April?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm game.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
8th, 9th or 10th April if you would like first aid back up (top or bottom only/verbal assistance only from chair above Toofy Grin ) - that's if it's still open. They have a nasty habit of closing MC early regardless of snow conditions Mad

Don't forget http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=80601
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MontriondSkier, They will link Cherie Nord and Grande Terche over my dead body.
Graydon valley is a wildlife sanctuary and perfect for hiking to see Marmottes, Chamois, birds of prey etc, it needs mechanical ski gear to ruin it like a hole in the head. IMHO of course. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The link has been talked about for years, as has the one from Samoens(verchaix) to Ranfolly. I even had a pite map with it marked on at one point.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lou, you spoilsport. Yet another year, so close yet... Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DallyPaul, Ditto...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snow forecast for thursday! Decent amount as well.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ricklovesthepowder, Phew first bit of good news, I'm not going till 7th jan but been looking at the webcams on the Chatel websites and wondering if I'll need grass skis instead Confused Confused
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
youngeratheart, its changed now, only a few cm due to fall!!! By the way, stop worrying about the 7th January, its bloody ages away!!!
latest report
Exactly. It's only still mid November for goodness' sake!
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, the Snow-Forecast forecast changes in line with the GFS forecast - you need to look at the two in conjunction.
snow conditions
paulio, 29th of nov is not mid nov I expect. Webcams are the problem. In the old days we would not be watching the webcams on a daily or hourly basis. 7th jan might be a long way off but with green fields and still above average temperatures people worry, look at webcam, readbthe weather thread, worry, stress, look at the webcam, see snow in coloured patterns........ Just me then?
ski holidays
chrisb, no its not just you thats needs to chill out and lie down, you all need to!!! Yes its nearly December but we have been spoilt in recent years. I was in chatel 2 years ago in early january, it snowed early season then hardly anything again, apart from a few top ups a few evenings. Honestly, stop worrying, you will be fine. I know its stressful when you have spent £1000's and all you need it to do is snow, dont worry, it will do.
snow report
Calm down everyone, it's only mid December!
snow report
paulio, i think you need a bloody calendar for Christmas!
ski holidays
paulio, if you can't play nicely... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Quote:

Yes its nearly December but we have been spoilt in recent years. I was in chatel 2 years ago in early january, it snowed early season then hardly anything again

I have been to chatel for the last 3 years at the end of jan. 3 years ago it was excellent, deep snow everywhere including the village and car got stuck on the steep drive as it was so icy and snowy. It snowed several times at night although just a sprinkling and it was so cold walking in the village you had to walk quickly to avoid freezing.

2 years ago and much of the same except it completely dumped one night and we had over a foot of powder on piste in super chatel.

Last year was like a summer holiday, green grass, t shirts, you could have fried an egg on the same drive we couldn't drive onto the previous year. It doesn't matter how many times I am told to calm down, relax, it is only early etc etc, the reality is that the memories are far too raw and until it snows big time I will not relax no matter how condescending the advise is..... sorry, just the way it is Smile
snow conditions
PANIC OVER!!!

It must be true, its from my Iphone! Very Happy

latest report
Ricklovesthepowder, You really are a 'My glass is half full' so refreshing when many around you are panic stricken. There appears not to be a single flake of snow in chatel from looking at the webcams and The fact still remains that whilst my spend is £600 all in, not as much as many I know, but it takes all year to save it and will not stretch to more than 7 days in any one 12 month period. I am starting to think I must save a bit more for next year and go higher or later so avoid the anxiety Puzzled
ski holidays
youngeratheart, Honestly, you will be fine. I know its only 2 weeks away, but there will be snow. Here is a forecast that would be great if it came off!!!

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Avoriaz/6day/top
latest report
youngeratheart, In the same boat, however mine sets sail on the 17th of December. I'm watching the weather forecasts like a hawk on crack.

Incidentally if anyone has a good weather site for Avoriaz et al please post a linky. ta.
latest report
http://chamonix-meteo.com/chamonix-mont-blanc/weather/forecast/evening/6_days_weather_forecast.php

I did a season in Morzine and cham meteo was always the most accurate. Although it's for Chamonix, Morzine/Avoriaz in heavily influenced by the mont blanc weather, for anything to land in the Avoriaz bowl you want a freezing level of 2000m max. 'Snow forecast' can be exciting but it mostly predicts too far in advance and then has to revise it, usually for the worst. Have a browse at all of them and you'll get a good sense of what's coming. And the wiggles in the outlook thread are always pretty good to keep an eye on.

Don't worry, there's no point looking further ahead than a couple of days in the mountains. But keep up the snowdances snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
properjob +1. Cham Met always seem the most pessimistic but the least likely to disappoint, compared to the teasers at Snow-forecast.

I do enjoy watching the wigglies from time-to-time though, for real DIY feeling.
latest report
Avoriaz has turned white Very Happy
latest report
More that the couple of cm forecast?
snow conditions
Any chance of being 15 cms !
ski holidays
My experience last 6 years is that Morzine Avoriaz gets more useful snowfall often than Chamlnix at lower altitudes. And quite oftem more blue sky days.
ski holidays
Chatel looks white down to village level from the webcams. Anyone on the spot?
snow conditions
Snow in Avoriaz, in Morzine it's at the top of Pleney and half way down the Nyon
snow report
All the gear...no idea!,

What does a hawk do when it's on crack?
snow conditions
whoop whoop! SNOW snowHead
ski holidays
Well, it seems that there is plenty of precipitation on the way. It's all now down to where the zero isotherm lands...

zzz, could you ask the locals to turn off their heating please? wink
latest report
FlyingStantoni, keeping ours on low, and all for you guys Madeye-Smiley
Certainly percipitating a lot at present, Mrs Apex is cooking in (without extractor to keep heat in) cos it's too orrible to walk to Mamma's.
Hopefully putting a good layer down in Lindarets/Avoriaz area. Could be the first snowshoe walk on Tuesday if the sun shines Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
DallyPaul,
Quote:

Hopefully putting a good layer down in Lindarets/Avoriaz area. Could be the first snowshoe walk on Tuesday if the sun shines

I really hope so. I am out on 5th Jan for a few days and there is only so much dancing I can do.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy