Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Am I dreadful? - An embarassing tale

Poster: A snowHead
Is that tips in relation to skis or

tips as in relation to boob tubes and crop tops
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
This is another case where snowhead stickers accross the tips come in very handy.

rolling eyes rolling eyes You'll be selling them as condoms next snowHead Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agenterre, My face is natures contraceptive Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Agenterre, My face is natures contraceptive Very Happy

I KNOW there's a brilliant retort there somewhere ...but I may get banned for writing it ...

EDIT ..sorry ..had to change it Embarassed
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Megamum, I can honestly say in all my years skiing ive NEVER taken anyone elses things. I always check. Its considerate.

Me too, or 'me neither' depending on how you want to phrase it. BUT, it's an imperfect world, people do make mistakes, sometimes they are distracted, sometimes they just don't think. I think shooting (for a first offense) is a little harsh. Have you considered the merits of a little £6 ski padlock?

Megamum, trust you feel truly chastised and have given yourself a good birching - bad girl! Toofy Grin

clara_jo luvin your work! Laughing

Frosty should we re-name you the_ice_perv ? Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AxsMan wrote:
Frosty should we re-name you the_ice_perv ? Shocked

It's this warm winter we're having Wink Although I'm not sure the "Coupling" episode entitled "The Melty Man Cometh" quite had FtS in mind Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some ar.se stole my son's poles last week.
We had stopped at the side of a piste to do some Avy Traceiver practise in the woods. Skis and poles at side of piste.
We return 10 mins later...his poles stolen.

The funny thing is that my poles a really (over ) expensive and they didn't take mine.

Scumbags!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nadenoodlee,
Quote:

Megamum, I can honestly say in all my years skiing ive NEVER taken anyone elses things. I always check. Its considerate

Well, 'bully for you' is all I can say to that. Lets, hope something dreadful, like a mistake even, doesn't happen in the future which may make you recall this thread with embarassment.

I was truely mortified when it dawned on me what I had done, and couldn't wait to get them back and the matter sorted out asap. I was most horrified that I could have damaged them and ski's aren't cheap. Mind you I would have volunteered to get them serviced or anything necessary if I had of damaged them.

The thing is that they were hire ski's - I'd only picked them up a couple times and hadn't really registered what they looked like. If they had been mine of many years familiarity I don't suppose I'd have made the error. Also, I'm pretty certain that were quite similar to my daughters ski's and I had been sorting out hers for her as well. I think the shop had a run of yellow ones on. Even when it was dawning on me what the problem was I really had to think hard to remember what mine actually did look like and it was quite a few moments before I was certain they were not mine.

One thing is certain that I was so horrified by my error I'm sure I'll never let it happen again!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rungsp wrote:
Some ar.se stole my son's poles last week.
We had stopped at the side of a piste to do some Avy Traceiver practise in the woods. Skis and poles at side of piste.
We return 10 mins later...his poles stolen.

The funny thing is that my poles a really (over ) expensive and they didn't take mine.

Scumbags!

My poles vanished from outside a restaurant (in town not pisteside) in Saalbach a few weeks back, all of our groups' skis were locked up but the poles of course weren't. Not really a lot to do to secure poles I suppose and taking them inside wouldn't really have been practical either.
In the last 2 week's skiing where I've taken my own gear I'm now on the 3rd set of poles Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What is it about poles then folks, I'd have assumed, relative to the ski that they stand next to that if you were of a theiving mentality that the ski's were a better 'take'. Do you reckon that they were blatently stolen or accidentally taken? Mind you those ones that were taken by the woods do sound like a theiving job I must admit.

Mind you I wonder if its something about the influence of the mountain air - maybe the lack of oxygen - it completely knackers the brain and seems to take days to recover. My dad usually gets my daughter from school, but if she goes to play with a friend after school I pick her up on the way home from work. Tonight she was playing with her friend and I managed to arrive home having completely forgotten to go and get her. Talk about 'honey, I've left the kids' Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum,

Quote:

Well, 'bully for you' is all I can say to that. Lets, hope something dreadful, like a mistake even, doesn't happen in the future which may make you recall this thread with embarassment.

Hey, if you dont want to hear other peoples opinions then don't start threads asking for them!!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, 'Sorry m'Lawd for nicking the Porsche, but it was the altitude .. see?'

Nah .. not for me Twisted Evil
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lock em or loose em......

I'm sure that if it was something like a push bike you would always lock it up when out of sight so why not a pair of potentialy expensive skis ? Surely you should take care and responsibility of ones that dont belong to you..eg...Hired ones
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Poles are harder to secure and easier to make off with I suppose. The hand loops on my current ones don't come all the way undone so at least I can run the ski lock through those as well but the other ones were of the more normal type so couldn't have been secured this way.

I wonder if a padlock closed around both poles between the handgrip and basket would help? You could at least thread the cable lock through that and around the skis.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SteveKirby, I've got no problem with folks opinions - yes, I fully admit I asked for them, but I do slightly object to the implication that I'm 'inconsiderate' when that's the last thing I'd try to be. I'm still a relative novice at most of this and hadn't encountered the possibility that you could fit into other peoples skis before - I certainly hadn't read a thread before that would have made me aware of the problem - hopefully any other novice reading this might be more aware to avoid the possibility.
latest report
FenlandSkier, You have to go to classier places... In the last 10 years with a pair of carbon fibre poles, skiing 25-30 weeks.... no loss.

Megamum, Sorry, I have to say that I am with Mr Kirby and Nadenoodlee. - Going off with other peoples skis is theft of property, time skiing and their piece of mind. You should get the shop to mark rental skis with your name on labels, and remember the length. Split them or loop them with the pole straps to someone elses. Being accidentally inconsiderate is not much better than deliberately inconsiderate, and the consequences are the same. pompous lecture over... you are bad and you must be punished...! wink
snow report
stoatsbrother, Noted, actually I was terrified someone was going to grab me by the shoulder!!, but that's a much better way of putting it - thanks
snow conditions
stoatsbrother and others, lessons tha many of us have learned through stories or experience.

Buyt how does someone (like Megamum, e.g.) fairly fresh to the sport learn about the pitfalls unless by experience or snowheads. I was asked why a of couple times last week when I asked to swap a ski with someone during a break.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, Go on....Do tell Why??
ski holidays
Quote:

Buyt how does someone (like Megamum, e.g.) fairly fresh to the sport learn about the pitfalls unless by experience or snowheads

But surely this isn't a pitfall of skiing? This could apply to any case of taking something that doesn't belong to you.
snow report
Caspar, When you first ski the last thing in your mind is that there will be many other pairs of identicla skis on the mountain, often just near where you put yours.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, Fair enough, but you could apply the same to bicycles or even cars in a car park (although these tend to have more protection). Why should stealing skis be acceptable because you're new to them?
latest report
my board & bindings are bright pink !! no-ones taking mine by mistake even with sunglasses - nor would most be people want to ! Plus i can spot em a mile away
win win situation Razz
snow report
mistermouse wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, Go on....Do tell Why??
If you swap a ski then no one will take your skis in error. It also makes stealing them a lot more bovva. Smile

I presume this was the point of your question Smile
snow report
Caspar, So now a regretted mistake is stealing?
snow report
Megamum, Taking someone else's property is theft, whether by intent or by mistake. Whilst you did the right thing once you discovered your error and you obviously feel bad about it, did you have another term in mind?
latest report
I think that someone expects a 'love-in' within all their threads. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Caspar, Well, I might think of a different term later, but I do think the terms 'theft' and 'stealing' imply a pre-meditated intent which might be particularly applicable to some of the stories on here re: ski poles. There was no pre-meditated intent in what I did.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, I agree with you - the terms theft & stealing do imply a degree of forethought!

What happened to the days of a simple mistake! Everything seems so black & white now rolling eyes
latest report
Megamum, Look, you asked if you were dreadful- I said you were. If you dont like it, DONT ASK!

AxsMan, Why should I need a padlock in my own house? ( well it was a chalet, but it was where i lived) In the instance mine were taken they even took them to a shop to get the bindings changed?! Theres no excuse for doing it- its so easily preventable.
snow report
Megamum, Call it what you will, but if I discover my skis have gone and I have not given someone else permission to take them then they have been stolen and I will go to the police and report it as such. If nothing else, I will need to do this to make a claim on my insurance for the cost of the skis (I cannot assume that it was a mistake and my skis might 'appear' again later).
Regret your actions by all means but don't pretend it's less of a problem for the rightful owner because of lack of intent.
snow report
I am very heartened by the whiteness of the white expressed by snowheads here. It is great to know that we never make mistakes.

To describe the act as theft is ludicrous. Did anyone call the police on Mr Klammer?....of course not. The goods were replaced as soon as the mistake was discovered and with a bit of deception the owner would have never discovered the "theft".
snow conditions
I think 'theft' may be the technically / legally correct term, but it seems a bit loaded for this situation. It was clearly a mistake rather than a deliberate act and as has been said above, we all make mistakes. I wouldn't have been thrilled if they had been my skis that were tempoararily 'pinched', and if it had cost me a dyas skiing I'd have been very annoyed. But then if I wanted to be sure my skis weren't taken by someone else deliberately or by accident, a £10 ski padlock would do the trick. If you leave your stuff lying around who should you blame when it gets messed with? Would you leave your house unlocked? Your car? Would you leave your skis outside your hotel room in the corridor?, In the street?
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, Where did I say I was whiter than white? I have never professed not to make mistakes (I have - many times). But I then I don't try to make out my mistake is something it's not or more acceptable because I didn't mean it.

Why is it ludicrous? By admission, Megamum took something that did not belong to her. Does the intent matter to the person that has lost the skis? I think not. Would you want your morning/day ruined because someone else has taken (stolen) something of yours?
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee wrote:

AxsMan, Why should I need a padlock in my own house? ( well it was a chalet, but it was where i lived) In the instance mine were taken they even took them to a shop to get the bindings changed?! Theres no excuse for doing it- its so easily preventable.

Well I'd say you answered your own question. It may be where you lived, but you didn't have exclusive access. If you live in shared accommodation and you don't want some tea-leaf or numpty (sorry megamum NehNeh ) nicking your stuff then it pays to take simple precautions. Yes it is easily preventable, all it takes is a cheap padlock Cool

BTW at home I 'hide' the good scissors and the printer paper, otherwise when I come to use them they have been 'borrowed' and left somewhere that takes me half an hour to find them. This is called 'living with teenagers' Laughing
snow conditions
Megamum, You asked would I be outraged? The answer is Yes .... and even more so if I learnt that you had waited until the end of your lesson before returning them ! If we take what you have written here literally then your first concern was the binding setting .. wink but I suspect that isn't correct. Smile

You made an honest mistake ; sounds like the injured party was very understanding and you obviously were very apologetic ; I suspect you will NEVER do it again !

I think I have become more concious of not taking others skis as my own learning has increased, so maybe something of a newbie skier phenomenon ?- particularly if you think all skis were created equal??

Reading this thread I'm surprised how often it happens. I have ski locks but invariably forget them

rolling eyes
ski holidays
Caspar wrote:
Megamum, Taking someone else's property is theft, whether by intent or by mistake. Whilst you did the right thing once you discovered your error and you obviously feel bad about it, did you have another term in mind?

What utter rubbish.

Theft is deliberately taking somethig which does not belong to you, with the intention of not giving it back.

A mistake is a mistake.

You can call it negligence, but not theft.
snow conditions
Caspar wrote:
Megamum, Call it what you will, but if I discover my skis have gone and I have not given someone else permission to take them then they have been stolen and I will go to the police and report it as such. If nothing else, I will need to do this to make a claim on my insurance for the cost of the skis (I cannot assume that it was a mistake and my skis might 'appear' again later).
Regret your actions by all means but don't pretend it's less of a problem for the rightful owner because of lack of intent.

Nobody is saying that the person who discovers their skis missing should assume anything other than theft.

But if somebody brings them back, saying "oops sorry" or words to that effect, then it obviously was not theft, and you would not get a police force to prosecute anybody.
latest report
Caspar, IMHO a mistake was made and this was brought about by inexperience. The mistake will not be repeated. I am at a loss that you cannot see it this way. But there again where would a good debate be without 2 opposing view points Very Happy
snow report
AxsMan,
Quote:

I think 'theft' may be the technically / legally correct term

No, it is most definitely not the technically/legally correct term.

Legally, theft requires intent to permanently and dishonestly deprive another of their property. (Theft Act 1978 in the UK)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy