Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

EES Delay

Poster: A snowHead
The UK ETA scheme is due to start soon (assuming it's not cancelled by the new government) for all persons currently subject to a visa waiver. Our scheme costs £10 and lasts for 2 years. It's already in place for various middle east countries and will be rolled out to the rest very soon.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure if anyone is interested, but this is from an article in Andorra about border changes (or lack of changes!). Translated from Catalan by Facebook

Quote:
Negotiations with the EU will allow to keep the border open

@conxitamarsol points to a solution similar to the current one

Andorra negotiates with the European Union exceptions to the systematic controls that it wants to make on non-community citizens, outside the Schenguen space, as is the case of the Principality. According to the Minister of Presidency, Conxita Marsol, today as circumstantial spokesman for @governandorra , Andorra’s position “is very favorable and we can be very calm”, in which the situation will remain more or less like the current one, with “open border” and some controls from time to time.

The European Union wants to establish systematic controls from November 10 coming to citizens outside the Schenguen space, but Andorra already achieved an EU mandate to negotiate exceptions.

Read more / www.bondia.ad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So if you visit Andorra for a week, does the Schengen clock keep ticking, or does it stop for the duration?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
musehead wrote:
Sounds like you're right - but it seems to defeat the point of the system if everyone still has to go to an officer anyway after using a machine who "may ask further questions". The whole point of the EES is to automate entry into the EU/Schengen. But they'll still need just as many staff as before, and processing times will surely not be sped up by much. Could even be slower depending how quick people are at using the machines.

Isn’t that how the automated booths in the US work? They give you a slip of paper. If it just shows your photo and details they wave you straight through. If it shows a large “X” you have to queue to see an officer.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@brianatab, Currently you have to stop at the free flowing border, go in to passport control and get them to stamp you out of Schengen, then the same on re-entry to Schengen. This stops the clock. If you miss this entering Andorra from Spain, you get a bollocking from French border control when you enter France.
snow conditions
 Joint01
Joint01
To be fair, most of the people who voted to get out of the EU were older because the younger generation doesn't vote much. That's why Brexit happened. I know a lot of people who regret Brexit. But yeah, there are people who liked Brexit. For those in the UK on this forum, I don't think they liked Brexit
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@RobinS, that’s interesting. Monaco (non-shengen) has no passport controls (bring entirely within France).

Ah but Andorra borders France and Spain. That’s why,
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Joint01, and your point contributes to this particular thread how, caller?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DJL wrote:

Isn’t that how the automated booths in the US work? They give you a slip of paper. If it just shows your photo and details they wave you straight through. If it shows a large “X” you have to queue to see an officer.

I'm not totally sure, but the US border system is definitely not one to try to emulate. So many huge queues.

I always avoid transiting the US just because of how much hassle it is.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
On my last trip to the USA we sailed through border control in a few minutes and had a very nice immigration officer dealing with us.

The longest queue I've had was going through Geneva last year...about 30 mins from getting of the aircraft to passing through immigration.

EES will be interesting...as I understand it you give your biometrics etc at a McDonalds style kiosk and then, on your first entry, have to speak to an immigration officer. The website says that if you hold a biometric passport, as all Brits do, then on subsequent trips you can use a self service system rather than see an officer (but there is no definition of what this is so I am hoping it is an eGate).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurdy wrote:
The longest queue I've had was going through Geneva last year...about 30 mins from getting of the aircraft to passing through immigration.
You got lucky. I had three 70-minute queues at GVA last winter, none of which were on a Saturday.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rob@rar, friends had a 90 minute queue mid week in September. It largely depends on what large jets landing you coincide with/or not, I imagine.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Hurdy, i had assumed the same but installing 20 of the McD style kiosks that are only for first entry seems over the top (especially compared to the number of e-gates they currently have) - however it may be their data suggests that a lot of people arriving at Geneva are first time visitors to Schengen.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, indeed. There’s sometimes an Emirates, a Qatar and a Saudi flight arriving early afternoon. Not nice if you follow them in - imagine 3-400 people all trying to do their first time registration!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andy from embsay wrote:
@Hurdy, i had assumed the same but installing 20 of the McD style kiosks that are only for first entry seems over the top (especially compared to the number of e-gates they currently have) - however it may be their data suggests that a lot of people arriving at Geneva are first time visitors to Schengen.

I would assume that immediately after the go live date it will be everyone's first time entry into Schengen?
latest report
@Hurdy, yes, obviously, but I was wondering what proportion of 3rd country pax are multiple entrants (I guess a lot of UK skiers are)?

I do very much hope there is an alternative route for those who’ve already registered, as otherwise it potentially won’t be any quicker if you always go at the speed of a “first timer”.
snow report
@Hurdy, but on an ongoing basis, you will easily have 777s, 350s, etc. full of first time travellers ...
ski holidays
@andy from embsay, I suspect* a lot of Chinese, Indian, SE Asia are first time travellers, never mind visitors.

* per the data
ski holidays
@under a new name, yes, I guess so - I’m probably too “skier focused” so maybe there will be a separate “already registered” channel. As I think I said there are three (I think) scanners by what’s currently the EU/Schengen queue area separate from the big double bank I took the photo of.

It’s in the airport’s interest to shift people through in as automated way as possible.
snow report
@andy from embsay, yeah, I’m just not seeing how they’ll handle the likes of me - UK passport, EU residency - although I think my titre de sejour has my biometrics (?) - so that might work even though it’s not technically valid for travel …
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name, D’you use e-gates now?
snow report
@andy from embsay, not leaving Geneva. But I do use the EU queue as I don’t get stamped.
snow conditions
RobinS wrote:
@brianatab, Currently you have to stop at the free flowing border, go in to passport control and get them to stamp you out of Schengen, then the same on re-entry to Schengen. This stops the clock. If you miss this entering Andorra from Spain, you get a bollocking from French border control when you enter France.

Most of the year you’ll struggle to find anyone at French border control and when you do most of the time they look at you as if your the first person to ask them for a stamp. There’s always someone at the Spanish border sat in their little booth.
snow conditions
Live reporting from Geneva airport: there are new scanners by every booth at departure passports on the way to the C gates. They’re not the same as the McD’s style ones at arrivals - they’re a tall narrow unit between that I assume is for facial scans, then a new fingerprint scanner on the counter. So unless they’re going to let us use the actual e-gates or have unmanned booths, that seems to suggest there’ll still be a border officer involved. I couldn’t see anywhere you’d scan your passport either, which seems odd.
ski holidays
I’m debating (with myself) whether to take a flight on 12/11, to Malaga, stay with my friend who lives there p/t, for a couple of days, then fly back with her when she returns for the winter. This is solely to get the EES requirements out of the way ahead of skiing (Geneva arrival) in January and subsequent trips. Worth doing or not?
snow report
@Montan, I really dont get the expense of doing that to save, admittedly, a few hours potential delay.
snow report
@holidayloverxx, that’s the debate Laughing plus, my son said ‘you’re going all the way to Spain just to do that?’ - the flight is under £100 return, small hand luggage, no accommodation costs…… The thought of a normal winter Saturday/Sunday in Geneva, without any added stress, is part of my debate.
ski holidays
@Montan, visiting a friend for the weekend...Great idea with a side benefit. Just don't let her know the visit is solely for EES Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@holidayloverxx, too late! Laughing I HAVE offered to drive her home once we land back home Very Happy
snow conditions
@Montan, when they were planning on an early October launch I was intending doing a weekend in Morzine just to get registered - but as it’s now gone back i have a pre-season weekend in late November planned anyway. Either way I’ll be “done” this side of Xmas.

I have to say I’m not really clear on whether being registered will be any advantage - if you’re just in the same non-Schengen queue it won’t really make any difference.
snow report
Although just read this on the official EES website:

If you hold a biometric passport, you will be able to enter more quickly using the self-service system (if available at that border crossing point). If your digital file is clear of any impediments to travel, you will usually not need to go via a passport control officer.
snow conditions
@andy from embsay, thanks - your latter comments are part of my reasoning. Best make my mind up
ski holidays
I’ve booked flights for 12/11 to Malaga; I’ll report back as to the process on arrival there and - probably more crucially - on arrival in Geneva in January.
snow conditions
Is it a silly question to wonder how this will affect going into France on a ferry or the tunnel?
ski holidays
@Origen, Someone could find out by trying to do a cheap day trip to Calais, and register their own details with EES at the same time.
latest report
@Origen, there’s been a lot written about it as each individual passenger has to provide prints and/or facial scan, adding lots of time to the process.
snow report
@Origen, they are building massive sheds to process EES
snow conditions
@rjs, May do this as live only 30+ mins from Dover. Will report.
snow report
At Dover, car passengers will be processed at the terminal and coaches will go to a separate shed where they'll be processed and then 'sealed' before heading to the terminal. Although it seems this won't all be ready in time.

https://uk-eta.com/port-of-dover-sets-up-ees-kiosks-for-coach-passengers-tablets-for-cars/#:~:text=EES%20checks%20at%20the%20Port%20of%20Dover&text=Coach%20passengers%20will%20register%20for,their%20passports%20and%20biometric%20data.
snow conditions
olderscot wrote:
coaches will go to a separate shed where they'll be processed and then 'sealed' before heading to the terminal.

Hopefully not air tight.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy