Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you sit on your poles on a chairlift?

Poster: A snowHead
Belch wrote:
European lifts vary but usually they start their lives in Switzerland, migrate to Austria, then get sold to France, then get re-sold to Italy and then end up on Ebay and bought by the Eastern Euros . . . Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Humm, you've clearly been to some different Swiss resorts to me as I'd have the order down as: Austrians buy/sell to French/sell to either Switzerland or Italy.

Certainly you know you've crossed the Austrian/Swiss border in Ischgl/Samnaun as soon as you sit on a chair, and it's a similar story skiing around the Portes du Soleil (where a number of the Swiss resorts are still dependent on drag lifts and haven't even progressed to fixed chairs, let alone heated seats/covers/etc).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Mjit, Verbier / Zermatt / Wengen / Saas Fee - maybe I've been spoilt! The order of sales was made up based on assumption and average humour rather than fact! Italy are 100% at the bottom of the 'big 4' Alpine order . .
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Does anyone have a picture? I just can't see it in my head - especially on a full chairlift - don't they get in the way of the person next to you? are they sticking out forwards?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimummk wrote:
Does anyone have a picture? I just can't see it in my head - especially on a full chairlift - don't they get in the way of the person next to you? are they sticking out forwards?

@Scarlet has already answered this, but yes, they stick out forwards. Mine are invariably tucked under my left thigh/buttock, and stick out more or less between my knees, pointing straight in front of me. It’s not uncomfortable in the slightest, even on an old, uncushioned, wooden-slatted chair, although I can see why people might think it would be.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JayRo wrote:
It’s not uncomfortable in the slightest, even on an old, uncushioned, wooden-slatted chair, although I can see why people might think it would be.

Because our muscular thigh provides plenty of cushioning.

You do need to avoid the sit bone. But that’s not hard to do at all.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pole sitter here. Not all the time just if I need to do check my phone/eat/drink.

As for safety bar down… always around these parts. Some lifts seem to have had a warning alarm fitted. Once you get to a certain point, and the bar isn’t down, a sign starts flashing and an alarm goes off.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
paulhinch wrote:
knackered knees wrote:
paulhinch wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Oh skiers and their poles - what a carry on... you're all nuts.

THIS. 1000x THIS!!!

Obviously you'll both decline a pole flat bits Laughing Laughing Laughing

Step Ons..... if it gets too flat to board, just hop off and walk past the skiers poling it...... wink

You aren't walking faster than I pole/skate I can assure you Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I rarely stick poles under my bum. As someone else said, I might if I plan a mega faff. Normally sticking them under my arm or pressing them between my thigh and the safety bar is quicker and easier.

I've stopped using wrist straps on my gloves (or idiot bands as we like to call them in our house Very Happy ). Mainly because they are a bit of a faff but also because I'm not beyond the idiocy of forgetting to put them on then working on the assumption that they ARE on. Fortunately never done that on a lift! If I need to take a glove off on a lift I just jam it between my thighs which is abundantly secure given my thighs are quite chunky!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
Obviously you'll both decline a pole [on] flat bits Laughing

Actually I've never used a pole like that, so yes.

Those gentle souls offended by pole clicking would perhaps argue that to offer a pole is disrespectful, because the donor is suggesting I can't ride without their unsalted for help. But I know that's not the intent; it's not the internet.

If I was once to accept a pole, I'd never hear the end of it.

Some skiers I ride with make a point of offering me poles as a gentle p*** take.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
As a beginner snowboarder, not to mention terribly nice person, I used (when on skis) to offer boarders who looked like they were struggling a pole, across a flat bit at the top of a 5km blue "home run". Several accepted, usually till they got going, then let go and carried on with a cheery wave. I also once accepted a pole, in the same place, though from one of my own party (I was brought up not to accept unsolicited poles from strange men). wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
At what point do the pole-sitters extricate the poles, so as to avoid getting in a tangle on arrival? Whilst I admit to being fairly clumsy, I can envisage all kinds of entanglements, especially if, for whatever reason, the safety bar is late in going up.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Hurtle, hold between legs as the chair approaches, sit down with the handles just past the leg and pointy ends (technical description) pointing forward at either 10 or 2 o'clock, under left or right leg depending on which side the foot rest is on. When unloading just pull the poles forward when standing up and pushing off with other hand. It's really is not as complicated as some people make out.

I can say with a high level of certainty that none of the poles you see under chair lines escaped from under anyones leg.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Dr John, I see. So you stand up with your poles upside down* (and not, I hope, held out in front of you like a bayonet) in one hand? Fair enough.

*I'm assuming you don't have double-jointed wrists.
wink Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh I don't know - a 6-man ski-pole/bayonet charge may help clear out the exit of some lifts...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Richard_Sideways, good point, well argued
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
paulhinch wrote:
knackered knees wrote:
paulhinch wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

THIS. 1000x THIS!!!

Step Ons..... if it gets too flat to board, just hop off and walk past the skiers poling it...... wink

Empirically, a determined march up a gentle but irritating slope is slower than polling it and definitely slower than skating it. The top of Le Belvédère in AdH is perhaps 250m before you get a down slope and I did it at least 6 times last week. I was polling with one arm due to injury: the further I yomped to put my skis on, the more I held everyone else up.
latest report
jedster wrote:
paulhinch wrote:
knackered knees wrote:
paulhinch wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

THIS. 1000x THIS!!!

Second that!

I routinely skate past boarder walking on many of flat or slightly uphill bits! I don’t need to use my poles unless the upslope is quite severe.

I ski with a couple of boarder friends rather regularly. We of course try to avoid flat bits. But there’s one place where we had to go past to get to the good stuff. For the longest time, my boarder mates would walk while I skate past and wait at the end. But last year for the first time, I came by slowly to one of my mates before she were completely stopped. I shouted “here comes the tow truck!”. She grabbed my poles and was gracefully towed up the remainder of the slight uphill. She admitted “that nice!”. And the next time we went there again, she just waited for the “tow truck” to come by. Toofy Grin Saves time for me to wait for them. Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

I shouted “here comes the tow truck!”. She grabbed my pole and was gracefully towed up the remainder of the slight uphill. She admitted “that nice!”. And the next time we went there again, she just waited for the “tow truck” to come

I think @abc, has been working on his erotic ski fan fiction again... maybe a rename if the offing here.
snow report
Quote:

hold between legs as the chair approaches, sit down with the handles just past the leg and pointy ends (technical description) pointing forward at either 10 or 2 o'clock, under left or right leg depending on which side the foot rest is on.

plenty of lifts now have the foot rest between the legs, so it acts as a kid stop.
snow conditions
@Richard_Sideways, @abc is female. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
@Alastair Pink, So was EL James, and it didn't do her any harm... just emotionally scarred all those charity shops volunteers working the book section.
ski holidays
It does look kinda cool but I know I'd eff it up.
ski holidays
andy wrote:
Quote:

hold between legs as the chair approaches, sit down with the handles just past the leg and pointy ends (technical description) pointing forward at either 10 or 2 o'clock, under left or right leg depending on which side the foot rest is on.

plenty of lifts now have the foot rest between the legs, so it acts as a kid stop.

Those are parti ularly awkward for Boarders when they bend 90 degrees before leaving the station as the tail of the board is dragging awkwardly and the skiers on the lift don't understand why I don't want them to pull the bar down.
ski holidays
BoardieK wrote:
andy wrote:
Quote:

Those are parti ularly awkward for Boarders when they bend 90 degrees before leaving the station as the tail of the board is dragging awkwardly and the skiers on the lift don't understand why I don't want them to pull the bar down.

yes I've noticed that but I'm assure you are aware that the winter sport industry has really stopped giving a flying anything about snowboarders. I'm not saying that's right but I think it's largely true
ski holidays
With one or two snowboarders per hundred skiers in that resort (St Luc) I'm sure you are right.
latest report
jedster wrote:
BoardieK wrote:
andy wrote:
Quote:

yes I've noticed that but I'm sure you are aware that the winter sport industry has really stopped giving a flying anything about snowboarders. I'm not saying that's right but I think it's largely true
snow report
I’m fascinated that such a mundane question has yielded 3 pages of discussion! I’m also fascinated by the number of people who can’t seem to get from breakfast to lunch without eating…
ski holidays
@Gordyjh, yes, it's remarkable that it provoked so much discussion. As the OP I was prompted to post after having seen the American comments on another FB group that "Everyone does this. I don’t want to be holding them whole time so I put them under my leg." and ""Never met a skier in my life who doesn’t sit on their poles." ,which somewhat surprised me.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink wrote:
@Gordyjh""Never met a skier in my life who doesn’t sit on their poles." ,which somewhat surprised me.

Plausible explanations include for this, include "This person..."

Has never actually met a skier
    Has never been skiing
    Is confusing chair lifts with drag lifts (no, that one doesn't work because most people don't put their poles behind their bums)
    Doesn't believe anyone who is a beginner, intermediate or child counts as a skier
    Doesn't regard anyone who doesn't sit on their poles as a skier
    Is, in fact, one of a small number of well-known snowHeads who like to start pointless arguments
snow conditions
tsgsh wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:
@Gordyjh""Never met a skier in my life who doesn’t sit on their poles." ,which somewhat surprised me.

Plausible explanations include for this, include "This person..."

Is, in fact, one of a small number of well-known snowHeads who like to start pointless arguments

Highly unlikely to be a snowHead as it was on another FB skiing group and as a I said previously is American (I'm aware that there are a few American sHs but not many).
latest report
It was not meant to be taken seriously, despite the lack of emojis
snow report
Surely any discussion about ski poles is going to end up being quite pointed...
latest report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Surely any discussion about ski poles is going to end up being quite pointed...

That's an acute comment....
latest report
skimummk wrote:

20240213-120057
latest report
Oh, just to drag this thread into 5 pages…

@swskier, you’re doing it “wrong”! You should have the pole handles pointing forward. Laughing snowHead
ski holidays
abc wrote:

@swskier, you’re doing it “wrong”! You should have the pole handles pointing forward. Laughing snowHead

Not to mention powder baskets with narrow skis. What is going on? Laughing
snow report
mgrolf wrote:
abc wrote:

Not to mention powder baskets with narrow skis. What is going on? Laughing

Sorry, that’s not a “powder basket”.
latest report
abc wrote:

Midfat basket then? Cos it definitely isn't a euro-slim piste basket. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
mgrolf wrote:
abc wrote:

Midfat basket then? Cos it definitely isn't a euro-slim piste basket. Toofy Grin

Less leki, more volkl!
ski holidays
mgrolf wrote:
abc wrote:

I think it’s just a regular basket.

Unless you’re racing or carving super-g, there’s no advantage for those “euro-slim piste” basket.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy