Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Four weeks in Europe - January 2024

Poster: A snowHead
Biased viewpoint coming up but having had weeks in St Sorlin, Valmeinier, Valfrejus, we decided the Maurienne valley was the one for us - so we bought a house there:D .
Things we love about it- It doesn't have a strong tourist feel - obviously the resorts are geared towards tourism, but we rarely come across other Brits on the ski slopes. So if you're wife wants to speak a lot of French she will definitely get a chance in the Maurienne. The locals often don't speak it English - which is helping our French no end!
There's plenty of Brits in the summer though as some of the best and most famous cycling cols are in the Maurienne.

Access to slopes- We are based just above La Chambre and within an hours drive we can access about 10 resorts. So we seldom ski 2 consecutive days in a resort.

The views!! - don't believe the hype!! Modane might not be the most beautiful of towns - for the reasons stated above - but i love driving through the valley. Theres some stunning views, snow capped mountains, huge great lumps of rock ( i'm no geologist - but my neighbour is and loves it) the Lacets du Montvernier (crazy hairpin road)
Modane is easy to get to - especially from Italy- it does have great access to the Haute Maurienne -Valfrejus, Val Cenis and Bonneval sur Arc are all high, so great snow, and very easy on the eye ( BSA is lovely)- I love the drive up too!

Other real towns ( where real people live and use real transport and work in real factories) include St Jean de Maurienne- great access to St Sorlin, La Toussiure etc. Yes there's a big factory in the valley but I tend to look up rather than down. If you do go to SJDM - Les Karellis is a very French ( and Belgian) resort. It has a big car park at the bottom, cheap ski passes, but plenty of good skiing to spend a day exploring- i've never heard another Brit there and skied 6 days last year there.

St Michel de Maurienne is another, smaller, pretty authentic French town- again you won't here much English but it gives good access to Valmeinier and Valloire - pretty village at resort level. Orelle is also close by ( on my list for this Feb as not skied there yet). I think if you are keen to ski several different places, happy to drive, and speak French - you won't be disappointed by the Maurienne.
Check the snow reports here

https://www.skiresort.info/snow-reports/saint-jean-de-maurienne/

Last point you mentioned an overnight in Annecy - its only an hour( ish) from St Jean and well worth it. A beautiful town with many riverside restaurants and cobbled alleys to explore.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for the suggestions.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We've decided to go to Briancon area for the France leg. It appears the weather will pretty likely be fine for our dates so we might check out a few hills in the vicinity.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I hope you have a great time! There are lots of different stations of varying sizes there, so if you want to check out some more local places, you’ll have plenty of opportunity to. But I’m sure if you ski the same place for a week you’ll have a fantastic time: and if conditions are good everywhere you’ll be spoilt for choice (a nice problem to have)!

That’s the area my friends from near Chambéry (who regularly ski at Allevard and Les 7 Laux) go for longer trips (particularly touring), which is about as strong a recommendation as they come. Enjoy!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sbooker, I think you've made the right decision re. Briançon. This week's rain has only strengthened that case (I think damage to the base has been worse further north, e.g. around St Gervais).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@JayRo, Thanks for the best wishes. I had heard of Les 7 Laux but didn't know anything about it. I just took a peak at it now. Must be the closest ski resort to Grenoble?

@denfinella, As someone who cut their skiing teeth in Australia and New Zealand and then North America and Japan I am really spoiled when going to Europe from the perspective that even if the bottom half of the resort is unskiable I still consider 500 metres of vertical plenty to have fun on. It appears most of the resorts in that part of the world have at least 500 metres above roughly 2000 metres so we should be happy. I'm wondering if the more 'under the radar' hills like Puy St Vincent are worth a look? Seems an easy drive from Briancon?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Puy St Vincent is very easily driveable from Briancon, and a very enjoyable small area.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sbooker, I haven't been to Puy St Vincent but it gets pretty good reviews. Must be worth a day I'd have thought.

Just a word of warning about Alpe d'Huez - unlike many big French Alpine resorts, it can get very busy at weekends, resulting in tiresome queues. If possible, visit on a sunny weekday to get the most out of the area (outside school holidays).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sbooker, Excellent choice, even Serre Che has enough terrain for more than a week. Don't miss the thermal spa in Le Monetier les Bains (hence the "bains")
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Currently at the airport staring down the barrel of a very long flight. Will be in Milan in a bit less than 23 hours.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@sbooker, hope you and your wife have a great time! snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@sbooker, have a wonderful trip!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@sbooker, hope the journey goes smoothly!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sbooker, safe journey!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scored with a free seat next to us on the Singapore to Milan leg. Now on Italian soil thankfully.
ski holidays
It’s been a while since I’ve driven a car in Italy. Yikes.
Now in Briancon and wide awake a 3am. Had a nice dinner in town last night. Briancon is a nice place at first assessment.
snow report
sbooker,

Have a great trip!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy