Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best liquor for a hip flask

Poster: A snowHead
3am airport beer and breakfast is standard isnt it?

For the hip flask one of the following works, although its tricky to find drambuie in any airport duty free:
Drambuie
Cointreau
JD Honey
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w wrote:
Perhaps the convivial days of passing round a hip flask in a gondola disappeared with Covid?

No covid bugs could possibly survive an encounter with Stroh80, so that's probably the safest option.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rhoobarb wrote:
Sortilege is awesome - whisky with maple syrup.

Sounds tremenedous.

@Rhoobarb, is this available in the UK? I've had no luck finding it online yet.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ratechaser wrote:
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Port and brandy mix

Well given port is already one quarter brandy, that's just changing the proportions of the ingredients. Must give it a try though!

Port does not contain any brandy. The spirit added to port is called 'aguardente' and it is added to stop the fermentation process. It is similar in nature but is not itself brandy.

I've not carried a hip flask in years but it would be an islay malt if I did I think.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JohnS4 wrote:
pam w wrote:
Perhaps the convivial days of passing round a hip flask in a gondola disappeared with Covid?

No covid bugs could possibly survive an encounter with Stroh80, so that's probably the safest option.

Not sure I could survive it anymore either!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Gordyjh wrote:
@Restless native, that's no fun!

I suspect @boarder2020 is a boarder…
I suspect you are right, and perhaps a boring boarder. Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ukoldschool wrote:
3am airport beer and breakfast is standard isnt it?

For the hip flask one of the following works, although its tricky to find drambuie in any airport duty free:
Drambuie
Cointreau
JD Honey

I dont think that needs to be one of…. You are onto a good mix there. Maybe some angustura bitters?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Metaxa 3 star. Could you? Would you?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

People just cannot be trusted to behave responsibly and look after themselves.

I think the issue is that drunk skiers tend to not only be a danger to themselves, but all those around them too.

I can't say I really understand the need to drink alcohol during the day and why it is a thing for skiers. If you just want to warm up and taste something there are plenty of good non-alcoholic options.

A beer or wine with a nice lunch seems reasonable. But hip flask with spirits just seems a bit sad. Is alcohol really linked so strongly to your enjoyment of skiing? Can you really not just wait until you get off the slopes?

I realise I'm going to get shot down as being the fun police and it's a rather unpopular position. I would say it's a British cultural thing, but the drinking on the slopes culture seems even stronger in Canada where it's not uncommon to crack open beers in the gondola.

Because a ski holiday is a holiday. Everyone wants to unwind and have fun in a different way.

I go skiing to have a week pretending to be an 18 year old again, free of the kids etc. Get tipsy, ski a bit, party a bit.

It’s all part of the fun.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
joffy69 wrote:
Metaxa 3 star. Could you? Would you?

no
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When its -10 or 15 on a lift a wee sip of something def does the trick, a hip flask doesnt hold much volume generally and they are passed around generally. Getting blind smashed student trip style is completely different.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alasdair.graham wrote:
When its -10 or 15 on a lift a wee sip of something def does the trick, a hip flask doesnt hold much volume generally and they are passed around generally. Getting blind smashed student trip style is completely different.

You need to get one if those ski pole “flasks”. They take about 50cl each Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hennessy brandy in a ski hip flask, or dark rum, both are fab in hot chocolate !
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Timmycb5, yeah they are fun, but you risk take someone's eye out when you take a swig.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@afterski, Glayva. 'Nuff said. Toofy Grin
snow report
Redbreast Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey is the only thing you should consider for a hip-flask,
ski holidays
@Timmycb5, you will need to take equal sips out of both poles or you risk your skiing being affected by the impact of unbalanced weight distribution. wink
snow conditions
@ster, meh, poles are just a residual crutch for poor technique anyway, filling them with booze is really the only valid reason to carry them.
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@ster, meh, poles are just a residual crutch for poor technique anyway, filling them with booze is really the only valid reason to carry them.

Perhaps booze in poles is the cause of the poor technique rather than purely the poles alone.
snow conditions
@skitrack,
Quote:

the Crabka we made last year tasted like sherry

weird! We only use half the prescribed amount of sugar though.
latest report
Filling hip flasks ready for the off tomorrow - and realised still some 50yo port left from Xmas day. Perfect recycling opportunity!
snow report
Absinthe
latest report
Marille
ski holidays
puddingdo wrote:
Absinthe

bingo
snow report
Port and Brandy has always been my go to but a good single malt has found its way into flask before too. But this year I'm going be taking some Bumbu rum. Very smooth and tastes of banoffee pie. Should help keep the cold out
snow report
Drambuie all day long .....not litterally obviously
snow conditions
eps wrote:
joffy69 wrote:
Knob Creek, the only Bourbon I'll drink. It's lush.

You need to try TX, the barrel finish ones. Although only available in the States I think.

I normally prefer Scotch but some other good American liveners to recommend are:
Michters Rye
Four Roses (standard or small batch)
Bulleit (either standard or rye)

All available in the UK at a decent price.
latest report
Genepi is good!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy