Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boa ski boots

Poster: A snowHead
stevieb wrote:
The bottom two buckles are the least important! Finding something new to sell springs to mind!

I leave my lower 2 buckles open on Alpine boots as they just cramp my forfoot and don’t improve ankle hold, but on my touring boots the Boa does actually help with overall hold so wouldn’t write it off before trying
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stevieb wrote:
The bottom two buckles are the least important! Finding something new to sell springs to mind!

do you honestly thing 4 companies would each invest serious amounts of cash to change mold series' (its into millions of €)and implement all the marketing behind this if "it was just something new to sell"
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@CEM, Are they different companies or just different brands from 1 company?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The four launch companies are

Atomic, Fischer, K2 and Salomon.

Atomic and Salomon are both owned by Amer Sports, K2 and Fischer have independent owners.

Your point is largely irrelevant anyway as Atomic and Salomon don't share moulds. Tooling moulds for a change like this is a massive investment as CEM points out and isn't undertaken on a whim.

The other point is that although these boots are starting to appear at the end of this season for the 24 model year. They will have been tested for several years with sponsored athletes and testers who are skiing full seasons in all conditions.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
the 4 brands are Atomic , Salomon , Fischer, K2 atomic and salomon are both owned by Amer sports but they have completely separate R&D departments and other than sharing a factory they don't talk to each other much

each time you build a new mold for 10 sizes you are €1.2mil+ so it is not an insignificant investment to do this, at present the line up is one style 2 flexes mens and 2 womens from atomic, same from salomon, fischer i think have 3 flexes for men, 2 for women, K2 are offering i think a total of 16 across mens and womens models and flexes

i have said it several times, if the clip version fitted you chances are the boa version will be better, but if it doesn't fit it doesn't fit, more brands are joining this party next year and the year after so i think it is here to stay for a while
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm not sure the idea is particular new?
I had a pair of rear entry boots Nordica I think that had a very similar system for tightening.
This was in the very dim and distant past.
Cant remember having any issues with them.
No plans to change as are on new boots this year.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CEM wrote:
stevieb wrote:

do you honestly thing 4 companies would each invest serious amounts of cash to change mold series' (its into millions of €)and implement all the marketing behind this if "it was just something new to sell"

Yes I absolutely do. Welcome to marketing 101.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Marketing 101... if you own both brands. Why would you not then just trial the new BOA system with one brand rather than make changes to both Atomic and Salomon boots.

Amer Sports clearly believe enough in the BOA system going forward to make a significant investment, that goes beyond marketing.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not sure if it's been shared but I watched this.. https://www.youtube.com/live/aHqU8aVUAfQ?feature=share

So it would seem that the manufacturers who have started producing BOA boots are those which are in the natural lifecycle of their current moulds. That is, they were going to change the moulds anyway and have gone with the BOA system on some of the boots.

It sounds like a great system, I'd be quite interested to try a boot. As others have said though the lifetime warranty might be a bit misleading, apparently they offered this on the cycle boots, but it seemed to disappear.. It would be interesting to try a pair of BOA boots and see how they go.

The boots have been trialled for a few years now, so most teething problems would have been sorted out.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
NoMapNoCompass wrote:

Stuarth, I agree on the micro-adjustability aspect. I tend to have 'defaults' for each buckle which I can quickly set after a long lift, lunch etc. It remains to be seen how BOA will work in that regard.

Equally Boa may make it a lot easier to figure out where the micro adjustments should be...

The right point on my touring boots falls somewhere between micro adjuster fully open on one notch, or fully closed on the next; Fine tuning it is a pain (and seems to need slight tweaking over a weeks skiing)...

Of course even though boa would solve this for me I won't be getting them any time soon, between having properly fitting touring boots (expect ot last at least another 3-5 years if not longer) and having extremely wide feet (all hail insanely wide scott cosmos + boot fitters punch...)

TBH like a lot of this stuff, choice of ski boots is all about shell fit; I will probably still be using whatever Scott fit to Cosmos when I replace my touring boots (assuming they continue using the same foot form for another 10+ years) given how they compare stock to every other boot I have ever had my feet in...

I seriously doubt that there will be many cases where the fixing mechanism should even be considered when buying boots (with exception of when the fitter is telling you the correct order/method to tighten them)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jabuzzard wrote:
CEM wrote:
stevieb wrote:

i didn't come down in the last shower, believe me it isn't a sales gimmick have you even seen more than a video of one

like have you handled one, put it on your foot or skiied on it? didn't think so Confused Confused
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@CEM,

The problem from a marketing perspective is that there are a bunch of people who have got used to not really using the bottom buckles and boots are still ok. Now manufacturers are selling this new thing that is going to fix all the problems with my bottom boot buckles that I didn't even know I had (unless in my case I actually crank them - then I know there is a problem! Madeye-Smiley )...do you see why this may be an uphill battle?

I will keep an open mind. In my scientific survey of two, one says this will be great, the other is indifferent. Maybe when I actually get a pair of boots with Boa, I will wonder why I ever doubted it and it will be awesome, but if it costs more and has any potential downsides (durability?, repeatability?, ??) I am going to need some convincing. - of course if there are no issues, it doesn't cost more, and has potential upsides, then it will be a no-brainer to go for them when its time for new boots

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 27-02-23 19:15; edited 12 times in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CEM wrote:
jabuzzard wrote:
CEM wrote:
stevieb wrote:

i didn't come down in the last shower, believe me it isn't a sales gimmick have you even seen more than a video of one

like have you handled one, put it on your foot or skiied on it? didn't think so Confused Confused

Yes I have handled one, and yes I have put it on my foot. No I have not skied in it because I went with a different boot (just over four weeks ago to be precise). It's a gimmick that allows the boot manufacturer to increase the price and get a higher margin IMHO. As someone else pointed out the manufacturers who have gone with it were going to be producing new tooling anyway, which further if anything is more evidence it's a gimmick. If it's still around in 10 years fair enough, but I sincerely doubt it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
- So you haven't skied in it, but are telling someone who has it is a gimmick.

- You are saying all the manufacturers using it would have been re-tooling anyway. That is pure conjecture and not true in all cases.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Surely re-tooling and making a decision to move to a new fastener tech makes sound financial sense?
snow conditions
@CEM, are racing boots going down the BOA route?
latest report
Dr John wrote:
@CEM, are racing boots going down the BOA route?

Apparently not.
ski holidays
I got the Scarpa F1 touring boot. I know, cable is thinner, but other than that, it's pretty much the same thing. Can't say I'm very impressed. Boa was a massive success in cycling. And I get why it's to have there (I own cycling shoes with Boa as well). But for skiing? I really don't see the point. In any case, it's a disadvantage that, if you overdo it, you can't dial back a click, but need to undo all tension and start from scratch.
snow report
Tristero wrote:
In any case, it's a disadvantage that, if you overdo it, you can't dial back a click, but need to undo all tension and start from scratch.

Apparently not the case, the ski boot boa dial can be micro-adjusted both ways.
latest report
Indeed, as CEM and others have pointed out on many occasions the new BOA ski boot design is a completely new, from the ground up design. It is not the same product found on cycling shoes, snow board boots or ski touring boots. Yet people here will not try it and instead judge it based on perception and opinion.

Bit sad and ignorant really!
snow report
mgrolf wrote:
Tristero wrote:
In any case, it's a disadvantage that, if you overdo it, you can't dial back a click, but need to undo all tension and start from scratch.

Apparently not the case, the ski boot boa dial can be micro-adjusted both ways.

That's good to know, thanks. It said otherwise in one of the vids above (and for sure doesn't work with the ones I got on the Scarpas). I'm happy to recognize that as an advantage even over normal buckles, as you can more easily dial in some extra thightness if needs be.

That puts it down to three disadvantages:

1. No preselected, visualized default setting, as with buckles.
2. No way to select forefoot and middlefoot tightness independently - for now. Next crazy hot poo-poo will be TWO Boa dials on the shell, as it was with cycling shoes. That's when we are all supposed to get new boots Laughing
3. The knob.
snow report
There are graduated numbered marks which show the tightness of the BOA
snow conditions
@Tristero, @eps,

That is good if it has graduations and/or is bidirectional.

For me the second to top buckle is the one I'm more interested in (or some other future heel/ankle/above the instep retention) as that's the one I faff with most, so bring on the additional Boa and more knobs wink Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Had a play with some Boa boots today. If you are sceptical, I would suggest doing the same. They work a lot better than I imagined they would and certainly better than buckles. However…

I lace up my Zipfit liners then slide my foot and liner into the shell. I didn’t try it, but it looked like, even with the cable at maximum length, it wouldn’t be possible to do that with a boot with Boa closure.

Edit: Before someone points this out- The new Fischer RC4 will come stock with a Boa and a Zipfit liner in the the most expensive model. The ‘Fischer’ Zipfit liner doesn’t have a power strap however, so less need to lace it up before putting the liner in the boot.
snow report
@Oceanic, depending on instep height and boot size getting into the shell with a zipfit on your foot is possible, i tested this at the ski test in January on the salomon boa boot, so long as you are in a boot below a size 28/28.5 you could also get a longer cable fitted
latest report
I hope the Boa they fit in these ski boots are better than the one on the side of my [url= https://www.sportmania.ch/en/vans-aura-pro-men-s-snowboard-boots.html] Vans Aura Pro snowboard boot [/url].

Barely ten days of use and the piddly little plastic housing that holds the screw in place snapped when tightening my boot after lunch in Cervino today. A long way from "home" in Zermatt.

Apparently, as a rule, you want the Boa to be the beefier self-contained unit like the one on the front of the boot (as these can be replaced), whereas the bit of plastic that should hold the screw cannot.

And that's not to mention the problem some people have had with the cables snapping.
snow report
jebroni3_16, the new ski boot Boa is a completely different product.

NoMapNoCompass wrote:
Indeed, as CEM and others have pointed out on many occasions the new BOA ski boot design is a completely new, from the ground up design. It is not the same product found on cycling shoes, snow board boots or ski touring boots. Yet people here will not try it and instead judge it based on perception and opinion.

Bit sad and ignorant really!
snow report
CEM wrote:
stevieb wrote:

Maybe not entirely, but, the manufacturers know that a lot of people will buy the "latest thing" if the boa system had all the advantages that it possibly has and additional tooling costs, but was such a subtle change that nobody would see it, I doubt it would happen.

With two clips, it is possible to have the front clip tighter than the rear clip & vice versa, or have them equal, the BOA system only allows equal tightness?

I think it is a system that will genuinely make a difference to a small percentage of people.

I'm one of those that needs a boot to be thermally moulded before I can ski in it, so try before I buy is not available. Yes I did ski in off the shelf boots for 30 years but the thermally moulded shells & liners I got 7 years ago have been a "What the f..k was I doing in crappy boots for 30 years" Very Happy Very Happy sort of moment.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@tangowaggon, in essence though you would go with what a boot fitter recommended would you not?
snow report
Layne wrote:
@tangowaggon, in essence though you would go with what a boot fitter recommended would you not?

Which is what I did when I bought my current boots, but the boot fitting process is a two way thing (as if I need to say this) but the boot fitter needs accurate & meaningful information from the client.
snow conditions
@tangowaggon, what I am getting it at, if it isn't obvious, is that a lot will depend on the boot fitter - if they strongly recommend a Boa boot who is going to go against them?
snow report
the boa system is used in snowboard boots since ca 15-18 years.
During the last years came always more and more problems with BOA.
I dont know if there will be a difference betwenn Ski vs SNB Boa, but i would try it.

PS i used BOA for snowboard boots since 2010, and now i got back to traditional laces.
latest report
No, it's not. Read the thread!

I don't think ski boots will be "going back to laces" anytime soon.
snow conditions
phil_w wrote:
No, it's not. Read the thread!

I don't think ski boots will be "going back to laces" anytime soon.

nope of course not. Traditional Laces = traditional buckles for ski boots.
The boa for ski boots supposed to be a complete new boa.
However also with SNB boots there are many new BOA models that came up during the last 10-15 years, but come over and over more problems.

For ski boots, i would wait a little bit maybe 1-2 years to see how it will develops before i take the decision to buy Ski boots with BOA
It is not only the BOA system, is the whole concept.
With SNB Boots came many problems not only from the boa, but also from the cable channels, sometimes BOA get complete away from the boot etc etc
There are many stories if someone has the time to search a little.

And as i said i am a BOA FAN. I had the same boots for ca 14 years.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy