Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2008 / 2009

Poster: A snowHead
Still snowing in Les Arcs, although intermittently heavy rather than continuously heavy. Should be a good one tomorrow, although the wind has picked up a bit in the last hour or so, so hopefully it won't scour & load as much as some of the storms we've had this season.

Skied mainly in la Plagne today, so my snow report is over on that thread. Full report on my blog.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
He he he, this all sounds GREAT....my friends and I are 'in resort' for our 9th annual Les Arcs boys trip from Friday - having just returned from Courchevel (week before last) I was hoping the pistes would get a freshen up.... Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Richie_S, I'd guess about 30cm of fresh today. I think you've got your timing spot on! Hope you have a great trip Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think, for the last few years we've been lucky enough to hit it right....

Last year about the same time, we had fresh tracks on 2 of the 4 days (vis on 1 day sending some of my party to the bar early - wooses!) The year before, another big dump just before we arrived.

Mid March is so the time to book up! Very Happy

No doubt we WILL have a great trip... 9 of us are going, including my younger brother who wasn't sure whether he'd make it this year due to a long term illness. So if anyone happens to be in the 3 Arcs bar in 1600 from 5ish until the last furnicular descends back to Bourg and sees a group of aged boarders pretending to still be rad and gnarly.... that'll be us!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Still snowing lightly this morning, and it looks like it continued to snow a bit overnight. Pisteurs are blasting like mad this morning, so there must be a fair bit of snow to be cleared. Still cloudy so visibility won't be great above the treeline. Yesterday's forecast was for about 30cm and I reckon we had about that at resort level, so probably a bit more at altitude.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Today was as good as I hoped it would be. Off-piste was knee-deep, or more, just about everywhere, and quite light snow (although it did start to transform quickly when the sun came out mid-afternoon). Met genepi and Mr Genepi for a brilliant day's skiing. Pointless me trying to describe conditions when photos do a much better job:

As usual, details on my blog.

Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thursday - lots of pistes getting very choppy PM - even ariandelieres from the top of the varet - more like a bumps course than it's usuaul 'race track' format..

Friday, only skied la plagne, so not much to comment, although the L'ourson stadium section was lovely for a run home.

Lots of rumours flying around of avalanches in paradiski, definitely some temperature induced slides lower down..not seen any reports as yet, hope all snowheads are ok.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spring skiing has arrived I think. It was very warm and sunny here today. Pistes very nice still in most areas - but skied on some quite slushy bits down in Peisey for the first time this season at the end of the day.
When I got back at 5pm my thermometer read 19 degrees here in Bourg!!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmmm could do with it being nice and cold as I am sweating too much from doing my packing Smile

I am in Les Arcs 1950 for a fortnight as of tomorrow. If anyone is out there, and/or fancies watching the rugby get in touch Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, oh you have made me very excited with those pics!! (and its not often I say that to another man!!) I am off to Les Arc tomorrow, its looking like its going to be a fantastic week!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lovely sunny day today. Slopes still in very good condition though - so dont worry (yet!).
They opened the water jump yesterday afternoon....... Had lunch at Altiport today and watched the antics.
Even though it was so sunny I wouldnt like to be soaking wet!! One poor chap tried it twice and got soaked both times. The second time he only had his salopettes on - and then came back to altiport and stripped off (down to pants) on the restaurant terrace to claps and cheers. V funny!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, I saw those bootiful pictures above you posted on Wednesday. Wow !!! My group has just bought a cheapish TO chalet package to Arc 2000 for Easter and if anything resembling those conditions are still on offer w/c 4th April, I'll be like a little piggy in the proverbial poop. Little Angel

I've never been to Arcs / Plagne before so have no real idea what awaits us but Arc 2000 seems like as good a result as any from the 'last minute' bargains list. Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Still pretty nice today - Headed straight across to the ag. rouge and then did the run down to the bottom of plan des violettes. Snow up there still in very good condition - scraped a little in the narrow section due to volume of traffic, but nice on the wider sections. Notable bare patches / stones starting to get exposed e.g on the right of arcabulle as you head up the chair. Headed down comborciere after lunch, no stones showing as yet but the bumps were pretty soft - whilst hard work on the legs, a little more forgiving than hard packed stuff.

Sunshine conditions - had to wear a baseball cap to prevent burning my face (more!)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Couple of less usual things today

1) Some of the chairs had been taken off marmottes - they were lazing in the sunshine at the top of the lift (no camera with me today - no photos sorry) - but seemed to be from one section of the cable and the rest of the chairs weren't redistributed - so if you got your timing wrong you could have a bit of a wait at the bottom..

2) A piste basher was parked on gd. renard, in the wider bit not far beyond plan-vert, was fenced off etc - On friday I came home along this route and it was so soft the bumps on it were horrendous. I wonder if they are now planning on temp closing the run for a few minutes early arvo, so the can do some mowing prior to the 4 o'clock rush?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Has anyone got an instructor recommendation for Les Arcs 1950 or 2000?

I have been told a couple for 2000 but one is not available (Bernard) and I only have a first name for the other and that isn't sufficient as there is more than 1 instructor with that name.

Thanks!
ski holidays
Anyone seen that movie "Groundhog Day"...

Well that's the score this week - classic freeze/ thaw conditions, boiler plate hard in the mornings till about 10:30, then softening during the day and getting quite slushy till around 15:30, then can harden a little on slopes facing away from the sun. Potential for the snow to go slush, ice, slush within about 10m on the same run, depending on whether the sun gets thru the trees. Blue skies so shades, suntan lotion and just a base layer and shell required.

The chairs from Marmottes having a laze in the sun

My ski out not looking so good (1650m)

Run home from the Arpette about 17:00 today

Watersplash all up and running

A nice end to the day

snow report
plus ca change c'est la meme chose as they say around these parts..boiler plate 1st thing, then slushing up from arond 10:30 depending on sunlight orientation..

Here's a photo of comborciere from earlier today - still in pretty good shape without too many rocks/stones/brown patches showing...

latest report
a few more wisps of cloud in the sky this morning, not as warm as the previous few days, indeed I needed another layer..

however this meant that the pistes didn't soften as early or as much as previous days and actually even come around 12 noon it as still pretty hard 'n' horrible in places.

A number of the 'minor' lifts closed, e.g. gd. renard, villards etc. due to the national strike

Still some people managed to have fun - Peisey-Vallandry had organised a mini touch-rugby tournoi at the base of 2300 - 'allez les blancs' as 1st and 2nd were mainly English seasonaires playing under the auspices of the Mont Blanc and Flying Squirrel teams respectively..

latest report
It is fairly nasty early on, but softens around lunchtime and becomes really quite fanstastic Smile

Queues were big today due to some lifts being closed (national strike) as Bertie says.
snow conditions
Hi all...

Just back from a long weekend in Les Arcs. Great time as always. The amount of snow in resort was probably the best I've seen in 10 years of going in mid March. Whilst I was there (left on Tuesday evening) the warm temps hadn't deterioted the pistes at all... no bare patches and no stones showing through which feels unusual for the time of year...

Saw some poor skier helicoptered of the mountain near the top of the Vagere lift on Monday evening - not quite sure what had happened but it was at the top of the Golf run which seemed a fairly inconsequential place to have an accident.

Also 'bumped' into Johno Verity (Animal sponsored pro-snowboarder) on the furnicular heading up Tuesday morning - he seemed to be taking a group of boarders on a tour of the resort and we saw him later in the park - didn't see him throw down any huge airs while I was there but it was still interesting to see how casually he chucked in a backside 360 off one of the jumps and then ollie the netting at the side of the run in to the wall ride before pulling a neat boardslide on the wall.
snow conditions
No Q's today but colder than days before, so it was back to thermal underwear and a 3 layer top..

Only stayed out for a couple of hours as the pistes were hard and nasty (mainly) then headed off to La Vache as they were having a slope-style competition on their selfbuilt park. Seemed to be good fun had both by the competitors and the watchers..

Now need some more snow - the closed sign was out at the top of Bois De L'ours and Combe was just horrible - varied from ice to slush to stones and back again in 3 yards. Did see quelques petit flocons on the bois de l'ours lift but I don't think much is going to fall tonight...
snow conditions
Bizarrely seemed to be busier c. 11am today than on the friday??

PIstes quite firm, some icy patches, slushing up a little on the lower slopes but not at all above say 2000m, little srpinkles of 'icing sugar' in places...

scarily Icy on the right turn bit down to lac noir from the VE but that's the wrong thread..
latest report
Just got back finally from Les arcs. Was delayed 2 days due to french strike.
I was due to have final day on weds when piste conditions where perfect, even found a few hidden stashes in malgovert woods.
Pistes were awsome in the afternoon, I even got stopped and cautioned in a speed trap off the top of Derby. Embarassed
Unfortunatly conditions deteriotated thurs when the temps started to drop and pistes failed to soften.
Friday I didnt bother and walked from Nancroix to to the chapel instead. Others told me Friday was showing "real" ice patches and few tumbles occured.
More snow (and lots of it) now desperatly needed.

Richie_S, I saw the helicopter as well. There is a little lip that if you ride up quick you can traverse along the cliff. Unfortuantly the traverse was now a rock field. You couldnt see this until it was too late. Thursday they had build a big snow wall to stop the same thing happening again.
snow conditions
tuxpoo, Yes have to agree, we need more snow, and lots.

Not surprised they have a speed trap out, I took a tumble today avoiding someone travelling totally out of control, I was practicing skiing switch, fairly quickly, down the Mont Blanc (piste, not pub) 'clocked' this bloke hurtlng towards me - bear in mind I'm looking up the hill, obviously see's me and knew he couldn't do a damn thing about it - it was up to me. C'est la vie, I'm fine (apart from a sore BS).

Pistes above the Peisey lift are getting bare as are some others, but if you know the resort, there is still good fun to be had. 'Off piste', well off the side of the piste, IMHO is fairly awfull, but there are still places that are OK - if you know.

Just had chat in the Mont Blanc (Pub) about speed traps - there's me thinking it was pisteurs with speed guns - DOH!. Apparently, it's not uncommon for pisteurs 'shadow' groups of kids, could be quite some way before you see them.

Allan
snow conditions
no change today but watch this space...
ski holidays
can second the comments that snow is desperately needed, BUT there are still some nice patches to be found (but they seemed to be getting smaller as last week went by).
some nice runs off the aiguille rouge, and the coulouirs below the Varet chair, plus around Deux Tetes.
thoroughly enjoyed the watersplash - hadn't realised it was only opened recently - almost refreshing!
nice to ski in the sun for once - this time last year, was snowing heavily in Ste Foy....
ski holidays
As I'm off to 2000 for a week on the 4th April, I'm keeping an eye on this thread. Smile The snow looks like it is falling now though ... http://www.snoweye.com/?resort=fr_lesarcs
ski holidays
It sure is falling! We've had at least 20cm. so far: it put a lot down last night and has trickled some more today. We have just had one of the best days skiing of the whole winter! There is more to come in the next 2 days, according to the local radio. When I had finally finished shovelling the stuff off my steps and balcony, we were away, and I only finished after 5 p.m., knackered but happy. It was quite windy up top, and the liaison with Les Arcs 2,000 was limited (Transarc was closed from the middle station up, as were Varet bubble & Aiguille Rouge cable car, inevitably. For you aficionados out there, Rhonaz drag was working, to keep the connection with Villaroger open! The spring snow was a little heavy, but manageable, and we had some fabulous tree skiing, one run from the top of Renard to Vallandry through the trees I rated my best ever tree run, in 16 years at this resort!! I am sitting back resting my aching bones, and drinking a lovely cool beer, as I type this... FANTASTIC
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jamie, Totally agree, best days skiing in my (short) skiing career. Was on third chair up on Vallandry lift this morning (15 agonising mins late opening), first tracks all the way down to 1800, unbelievable. Varet was closed but Lauchettes wasn't - great off and on piste all the way down to Villaroger, lifts back up were a bit breezy though, in fact the Drosset (I think) was blowing about like...^&$% surprised it was open. Off the side of Deut Tete, absolutely magic. as was off the side of the Edelweiss (Top of Arpette), similar. Having said that, on some of the steeper runs (blacks) it was quite possible to break through to the icy layer below, as it was 'off the side' of some others.

It was still snowing quite hard at the top of the Vallandry at 5PM, but stopped now, at least in the resort.

As an aside, Skied with UK Ski club rep today, I know there are a lot of differing opinions on their reps, but I have to say, the current one is excellent. It was an off piste/powder day (didn't have to try hard for the latter!), but there were only three of us so.... a good day was had by all three.

Magic, but a bit more snow would get rid of that icy layer below some runs - not really a complaint - I'm only saying that as it looks like we will get some more Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Dear Snow Gods,

11 days until we get there. PLeeeeeease keep it coming.

Jim W and co.
latest report
allanm, I'm not a skiclub member but read on their site that you can kind of groupie with them by turning up on the day if they're not overbooked. Is that what you did or did you do something more formal ?

This is the fella who is in resort the week that I am there ...

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/reps/repprogramme.aspx?intRepProgrammeID=703&dtmStart=28+Mar+2009&dtmFinish=18+Apr+2009&intResortID=44696&strOrganisationName=Les+Arcs

Anyway, I have just ordered a copy of , the randonnee map sheet in 1:25,000 scale from http://www.needlesports.com in Keswick. Even with the Euro/£ rate, at £10 including postage, it was cheaper than any French website I could find. I love maps. Very Happy

Having never been to Les Arcs before, I've heard a lot of good things about the Aiguille Rouge to Villaroger piste and the 'near piste' routes along the way. Any other gems near Arc 2000 ?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 24-03-09 23:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
moffatross wrote:
This is the fella who is in resort the week that I am there ...

He's better known as snowcrazy on snowHeads. He knows the resort pretty well!
snow report
rob@rar, thanks. Cool Going into nosey search mode now. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
moffatross, look for Drosset, and of course, if open this late in the season, Malgovert. As Tina would say, Simply the Best.
latest report
thanks JimW, Very Happy just came back from my googling and read a few things like these about Malgovert ... 'also known as the Hobbit' ... marked as a red but couldn't be called a piste anywhere else in France .... If you can link three turns without falling over or bursting out laughing, you're not on it .... watch out for the submerged objects Laughing

I've no idea what any of that meant but assume wood might have something to do with it. snowHead
snow conditions
moffatross, red, but clearly marked (at the start of the run, not on the map) as unpisted. There seemed to be more picnicers on/around it than skiers last week! As for submerged objects, there were stripey sticks marking rocks, tree stumps etc all over it - but one could only assume they'd run out of stripey sticks... Laughing
snow conditions
Hurtle, do we get a Dynastar review?
ski holidays
comprex, yup, I have PM'd you, to avoid thread drift.
ski holidays
Tipping it down as I came back this afternoon.....Also cold enough that it is snowing right down to Bourg.....Should be a great day tomorrow - and if temps stay low the outlook for those coming out is very good!!
snow report
jayne durham, Great to ski with you today, cracking day, great conditions, really relaxed, and, again a great [Ski club - sorry, but..credit where...] guide, but... we were in La Plagne so won't say any more...

moffatross, Join ski club. Not sure about 'hanging on' I skied with Chris a last season (on his day off IIRC), and skiing with him may well be one of the highlights of this season. BTW, I rejoined Ski club this year, and got the equivalent of the membership fee back on the discount I got on my tranceiver/kit. IMHO you won't regret the 50 or whatever squids, but then DONT, cos that one less place.

JimW, I'm sat in th Mont Blanc - it's absolutely p$$$$$g down with white fluffy stuff.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy