Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2022/2023 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
First day for us and yes, there are some thin patches on south facing runs like proclou but I skied it about 2pm today and it was fine. Plenty of snow cover in other areas and I’ve definitely skied it worst at Christmas (2015/16),

Lots of internet scaremongering- it’s not great but it not often is this early (speaking from lots of PDS Christmases - not our preferred time from a skiing perspective but we have access to free accommodation so have been out here more times than not over the last 10 years or so).

We’re back in 3 weeks and I am not in the least worried. I’m sure everything will look very different.

That said, it’s been raining down in the valley level on and off since 5pm ish and 8C so no idea how high snow level is.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Slightly off topic but where can you collect pre bought PDD lift passes? I’m probably reading the wrong thing but the website suggests the only place in town is at the pleney lift
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depends which website you bought them from @kinger123 I think - if you bought off Ski-Morzine website it’s Pleney, if SERMA it’s Super Morzine

Super M has a 24hr machine - not sure if you can collect pre-bought from there or just buy new ones.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@andy from embsay, thank you. I hadn’t seen the Serma site, all links took me to the ski-morzine
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
polo wrote:
no one can say for sure re. next week. It's knife edge stuff regarding temps with a lot of uncertainty....apart from precipitation, which looks substantial.

Above 1800m should see enough snow to guarantee a solid base for the rest of the season, avi risk will be high, but below 1500m it's still a very uncertain picture.....most likely snow - rain - snow, so who knows what the end result will look like.

Polo's thoughts on next week still look bang on (focusing on ensemble means rather than op. runs). Main precipitation event starts Sunday (rain to snow), probably continuing for at least a few days. Lots of precipitation (50mm+ rain equivalent) on all main weather models. As for temperature / snowlines:

- all four of today's GFS runs pretty similar, mostly snow above 1300m, perhaps not so good below. A bit of a signal emerging for lower temperatures at the start of next week (from Monday, with snow to all levels for a time), but then a milder spell later in the week (perhaps with lighter precipitation). Will be interesting to see if that signal persists.

- ECM looking good above about 1200m

- GEM is warmer... quite a lot of rain below about 1400m

Lots to be optimistic about, but caution also required as some of the individual ensemble members are still quite mild - so there is still scope for much higher snow / rain limits. Hopefully not!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The amount of "noise" on those graphs from 8 January doesn't give grounds for much confidence, does it?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks to have put down a dusting in Avoriaz overnight.

Whilst the temps on the ensembles are uncertain, two slight grounds for optimism for me are that firstly other than some absolute outliers, most runs keep temps at least sub-tropical at 1500m (so 3-4° instead of 9-10° over last weekend), meaning pistes should freeze higher up - and also the pattern has been pretty consistent for a few days.

It still looks pretty grim low down (though signs of cooling down mid-month from GFS average overnight) but higher up things should be much better this time next week.

snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Before and after at the top of the Lindarets valley from yesterday teatime to this morning. Not massive but more than I was expecting.

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@pam w, there will always be uncertainty about precipitation over a week out, less so with temperature and even less so with pressure. That’s why good forecasts can be built using the mean anomaly pressure charts. Every winter I try to show how these are useful in the 8-12 day range, not for detail such as 30cm at 1400m in PdS , but for predicting a more (or less) favorable pattern for the alps, which dictates the rough odds of the next snowfall or not.

Think this will be the 3rd time this winter already that this type of analysis has been a useful forecasting tool up to 2 weeks in advance, eg 7 days ago (28th dec) we could see that 8-10th Jan had potential for snow. The hard bit is pretty much over and confidence can continue to be raised.

So to recap, with more detail, it will snow to low levels (possibly valley floor) 9-10th, over 30cm at 1500, more above, it will get milder and drier into 12th, and then mid month will be colder and drier…..close to seasonal average, some more moderate top ups, cannons likely to run…..even at 2 weeks out again it’s the likely outcome based on mean anomalies showing high pressure to the north and lows over Europe (possible NE flow).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@polo, Thanks for that Polo - thats very reassuring to hear
Does anybody on here know what 30cm would do to Les Gets? I've never been and don't know is it meadow or rock - would you expect 30cm to reopen much terrain?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@elefantfresh, it’s all meadow and largely north facing, I’ve happily slid down on less than 10cm. Even if it’s only a wet 20cm there should be enough to move around and open a lot of pistes. But as things stand I’m expecting better than that….need a few more days to move to guaranteed status, am at 70% sure.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@polo, Magic news - thank you so much!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
elefantfresh wrote:
@polo, Magic news - thank you so much!

And bear in mind that even everything below say 1,500 metres is still wet / patchy (unlikely given @polo's detailed assessment) there is plenty of sliding to be had above this across the full area ... plus the pisteurs have so far done an incredible job with what they've had at their disposal, they will have much more to "play" with from this weekend onwards.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@franga we’re arriving Thursday night, so first day Friday and other than a slight worry about queues (apparently Prodains was rammed this morning) we’re expecting to get some decent fun up high on Friday/Sat and maybe a bit lower Sunday and Monday.

@polo - when would you expect the hordes to go home? I think UK schools are back this week and also the French?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@andy from embsay, only the Dutch, Belgians, and posh UK schools remain. The roads are noticeably quieter.

Another glorious day today. 6° and rain.
ski holidays
[@andy from embsay, in the North East (UK) a lot of the schools are still off this week - returning 9th Jan.
snow conditions
@andy from embsay, it's not just the school holidays causing the piste congestion and queues. It's that only a third of Châtel, a small part of Champery and most/all of Avoriaz are open in the pds at the moment, bringing everyone from the other towns.

Once the conditions improve, next week, it'll be empty up there as the schools will also be back.

Can't remember if you're going for the full week or just this weekend.
ski holidays
@snoozeboy, just the weekend (home Monday might, so we’ll ski Monday) - no big deal as we’re bringing daughter #1’s boyfriend who’s not done much. Plus I’m back out for a longer trip at the end of the month. But given conditions are likely to improve a wee bit I’d hope not to stand in too many queues!
snow report
Surprising amount of new snow up the top of PLJ, but visibility bad high up. Lower down you can see but the steeper parts are very cut up. Will be better once pisted overnight.
snow report
We usually ski in Les Gets, I have been to Avoriaz but a long time ago (I think 2005 ish, when we ran out of snow in Les Gets and I can't remember much). Is there an equivalent of the childrens/beginner Indian Reservation area in Avoriaz? Where will I be best heading with a 5 year old if we decide to try there this weekend? He happily skis the Indian Reservation and I like it as it is contained, he can choose his own lines and can't accidentally ski somewhere he shouldn't.
latest report
@mah, theres a great little area called the mini-stash next to the Proclou piste
snow report
+1 - up/down Proclou is not as self contained as Les Indiens, but for a 5yo it's the next step to gain confidence.

I'm only concerned everybody will flock to Avo this weekend, colleagues told me Les Contas were OK-isk (considering), just maybe not for our own 5yo.
snow conditions
zzz wrote:
@andy from embsay, only the Dutch, Belgians, and posh UK schools remain. The roads are noticeably quieter.

Another glorious day today. 6° and rain.

Our posh school goes back on Thursday but we are holding kids back so we can take them to the mountains Thursday to Sunday and also hope the crowds have gone home and others have given up. We are desperate to ski on anything that looks remotely like snow as we are making our way back from a few weeks in Oz and missed all the chaos. Thanks for all the updates.
latest report
@andy from embsay, even with the lack of snow in outlying areas, I think it'll be manageable from Saturday (changeover day) onwards.
snow report
I have to say that Les Gets (and I'm sure that's the case with other resorts in the PdS) have done an exceptional job in laying down a host of other activities (falconry, guided walking tours, MTB on Cherry etc) to keep families and punters engaged and entertained over the last couple of weeks. Massive chapeau to them.
ski holidays
@franga, and for those really desperate, there was skiing available.....we had good (albeit with jaws dropped) family morning out on 27th, and am pretty sure the bowl was still running until the heatwave just a few days ago. Lower half of chavannes still open...ironically one of the lowest slopes.

Anyway will hopefully just be a blip in the season. I had my best day ever bar none on the 17th Dec on Mont Chery, and I've boarded up to 3900m across 7 countries in my relatively short existence as a snow fan.

ICON 12z first out of the blocks in this important timeframe with a better sliding low 9-10th....hopefully start to see consistency now.
latest report
Rather than starting another thread in the review room, I thought I'd ask a quick question in here! I haven't been to LG since Feb 2020... does anyone know if the butchers in town still does roast chicken and potatoes? And which evening they don't do it? IIRC they used to not offer it on Tuesday?
snow report
Thank you both, I will mark that on the map and try there first. We travel overnight Saturday, Monday will be our first ski day if we can't grab an afternoon in Les Gets Sunday, so I'm hoping it won't be too busy.

Most Welsh schools aren't back until Monday 9th, I had been kicking myself for not taking him for longer by going this week as well, but looks like that wouldn't have been ideal anyway!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Timmycb5, that's a first....we haven't had a roast chicken question on here before.....if you mean the butcher near the church, and don't hear back in the meantime, I can pop in on monday and check. But the french tend to be very persistent in their old ways....am guessing you'll be fed.
snow conditions
@Timmycb5, the butcher in the middle of the town had the chickens and potatoes a couple of weeks ago. Not sure re Tuesdays though.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 3-01-23 16:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@polo, I aim to please Laughing it's the one in the centre of town I was thinking of. Traiteur? If the one by the church is decent too, I might try there for steaks.
snow report
@Timmycb5, I bet they still do it. The last few weeks (OK busy) it's been pretty obligatory to reserve from the vans on Chamonix market and when we picked ours up 2 weeks ago we were nearly attacked by a hungry mob as we were on the 2nd last chicken (and no potatoes).
snow conditions
There’s always time for a roast chicken question Very Happy
ski holidays
Apparently the boss of the Avoriaz lift company has said "no snow making unless there was a compelling reason" before the February holidays as they are on a new electricity contract and it is too expensive (same situation in les Arcs and probably many other ski areas). This was announced last week to interested parties in resort.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
Apparently the boss of the Avoriaz lift company has said "no snow making unless there was a compelling reason" before the February holidays as they are on a new electricity contract and it is too expensive (same situation in les Arcs and probably many other ski areas). This was announced last week to interested parties in resort.

Yikes. Keep that snow dance going, people!
latest report
davidof wrote:

I would hope a lack of natural snow would be a “compelling reason”!
ski holidays
@davidof, hmmm, I was reading somewhere that cannons are reasonably efficient (who knows for what values) and don't use so much power. Who knows? Anyone? Bueller?
latest report
That photo of proclou looked pretty compelling to me.
snow report
I think that’s pretty poor if they won’t make snow. I’ve been skiing elsewhere before Christmas and although there was plenty of snow right down to resort level (this was in Austria though) the snow cannon were going when it was cold enough, they made loads of the stuff electricity costs or not so it can’t be that bad or else they would make do with the natural snowfall that was already there. I’d say that’s looking after your guest experience as best as you can.
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, the cannons in Avoriaz were going like stink before Christmas- they closed quite a few runs because the piles of artificial were so big they blocked the track.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy