Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Electric Vehicle route to the alps

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar wrote:
@Arctic Roll, I’m looking at the Electroverse app now, and it’s quoting 78p for Ionity and for InstaVolt which was the other high speed charger nearby.

I’ve learned to take the 8% discount via Electroverse with a pinch of salt. The Shell ReCharge charger near me in Arc 1800 is cheaper via my Shell account than it is via my Electroverse account, despite Electroverse claiming they offer the discount on Shell charging. Just one of the pitfalls when you step outside the Tesla ecosystem.

Interesting - it certainly seemed to pay off when using Ionity in France when looking at prices on the stands, and charge on the account- but absolutely agree even with that, it ain't close to Tesla prices. And so, the Tesla network is always our first choice.

Albeit witching from a Sterling account to a Euro account card in Electroverse is straightforward - both cards stored in the app, you just switch "default" when sitting on the Eurotunnel. But for the Tesla app, it only allows me to have one card listed, So I need to re-enter all the details each time - maybe its because I'm not a Tesla owner, just a user of the app?

I mean yes, #1stWorldProblem, but surely something they would be a benefit for all: if not for currency changes, certainly business / private card use?

re: A/C charging - 7kW at home is surely enough - and they installed ours with a 60A feed (although we did get it changed to 100A - FoC - in case we get a second EV and need to charge them simultaneously from 2 points)

Although that 'may' not be necessary:

We've been taking part in trials with Ohme whereby you effectively charge every day. You drop from say 70% to 55% on your daily commute, and they charge back up, every night. Plug in 3 - 5 timeS a week, and they give you cash back for "balancing the grid" . It was a two month trial, and we got quite a few Amazon vouchers!

BUT

The original advice, I thought. was not to stress your battery through excessive 'cycles', which would be a count of 1 whether charging from 55 - 70 or 20 - 90.
So we behaved in the same way as an ICE owner - filling the car to 90% (as now recommended by Volvo) and then not re-doing until it reached 20%.
But am reading articles now that say this is no longer the way to do it - keeping your EV 'fully' charged at all times is the way to go - and a clear differentiator to the ICE method. Certainly Ohme weren't bothered by advising you to cycle the battery 3, 4 5 times a week.

So my question to the long term owners on here: are you seeing a drop off in battery performance that could be attributable to multiple cycles - one that would impact the re-sale value? Or are we still in the learning phase?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Arctic Roll, A cycle is 0-100%, so 40-90% is half a cycle.

All the anecdotal evidence - of which there is an increasing amount - is that the batteries are much more resilient that expected, and the only thing they don't like is being left with 100% charge for long. Rapid charging or charging to 100% doesn't appear to affect the SOH much.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ideal battery charging behaviour also depends upon the battery chemistry AIUI. So my Model Y (LR) will be different from my friends Model Y (not).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have on rare occassions to maximise cross continent stints or to stretch to get home without another stop, rapid charged to 90% (ioniq 5 keeps decent rate of charge up) and don't anticipate any major issues as you say.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy