Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 15/16 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@kitenski, Aliens. Just before it went really bad!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
emwmarine wrote:
nozawaonsen wrote:
Unseasonably mild weather for at least the first ten days of December according to this evening's GFS op run.

At least it's meant lots more enquiries for places at Val Thorens.

Still confident about your big Friday dump?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
duncansarmy wrote:
emwmarine wrote:
nozawaonsen wrote:
Unseasonably mild weather for at least the first ten days of December according to this evening's GFS op run.

My zx81 GFS simulator seems to be suffering from that same disappearing snow malaise that the real GFS does. Back to the drawing/programming board.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski wrote:
It's still November folks.. Stay frosty (guess the movie)

Aliens ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
emwmarine wrote:

My zx81 GFS simulator seems to be suffering from that same disappearing snow malaise that the real GFS does. Back to the drawing/programming board.

As it is cyber Monday, for a very reasonable price, I can offer you an upgrade to a zx spectrum and if you really want to splash out I can offer you a Spectrum +2........ (really) otherwise I would suggest the BBC weather app on your iphone
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks like a week of melting below 2000m in the European Alps.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whitegold wrote:

Grim isn't it. My one week of the year is at the end of December and I'm starting to get nervous Sad Although, there is still time.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
duncansarmy wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Grim isn't it. My one week of the year is at the end of December and I'm starting to get nervous Sad Although, there is still time.

I wouldn't go out on a limb and use the word, "grim" but it seems the past few ski seasons for Europe seem to start with nail biting and stressing about the future weather situation for Christmas break.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So far looks like a repeat of last season, only shifted couple weeks forward: conditions were similar last year couple weeks before official opening, followed by warm weeks and disappearing snow in December. At least resorts could open this year due to snow arriving a little later.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Slight covering of new snow in Tignes this morning, nobody forecast that rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
on the first day of christmas my true love gave to me, 3000m FL for the next few days.... thanks for that.

Luckily I've heard that this snow stuff is magic, and won't all instantly melt away, due to some science stuff I should know from my energy engineering degree Wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Met Office Contingency Planners worth a read. Positive NAO continuing for December increased chance of blocking (and possible SSW) later in winter.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/m/5/A3_plots-temp-DJF_v1.pdf

"... we consider there to be an increased risk of storms and very wet conditions in the early part of the winter, and a greater risk of cold weather impacts in late winter"
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RetroBod wrote:
emwmarine wrote:

As it is cyber Monday, for a very reasonable price, I can offer you an upgrade to a zx spectrum and if you really want to splash out I can offer you a Spectrum +2........ (really) otherwise I would suggest the BBC weather app on your iphone

16 or 48K ?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like there is 20cm of snow in the eastern alps today that wasn't forecast yesterday!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cant change it, so little point in stressing about it.

plenty could happen between 10th & most resorts opening..............

well it needs to..........aaarrrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!! LOL
ski holidays
emwmarine wrote:
duncansarmy wrote:
emwmarine wrote:
nozawaonsen wrote:

If my parents hadn't thrown out my ZX81 with the additional 16k memory module then you could have had that to use as a slave to boost the computing power. I think they also through out the old Atari machine I had so I can't donate that to the project either.

I just wonder what they would be worth now if they had kept hold of them..... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Met Office 30 day forecast right out to almost New Year is unsettled Atlantic dominated weather bringing gales, rain and periods of mild and colder interludes. Sad

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast

Potentially good however for the West Highlands and Lake District if the wind ever calms down enough. Are we about to witness the third winter in a row where Glencoe is one of the snowiest places in Europe Shocked
snow conditions
Sun streaming through the window here in North London - as the radiators are on and the windows won't open, i've got the door open and sitting here stripped down to my undies - was hoping to set a trend, but none of the ladies seem to be following Sad
snow report
Hope we get a winter. Not even a frost last year and only one so far this year.
snow conditions
06z keeps high pressure in charge across much of continental Europe for the length of it's run. On the plus side mild and dry weather has less impact on snowpack than mild and wet weather.
snow report
Nice little documentary from the BFI on how the movies make do without snow...

Snow business.

http://youtube.com/v/0IBRa-LsD-w

- Dr Zhivago - crushed marble
- The Shining - 900 tons of salt and styrofoam
- It's a Wonderful Life - 600 gallons of water, soap and foam
ski holidays
escooler wrote:
Quote:

Generation Kill?

nope Wink Aliens
latest report
nozawaonsen wrote:

- Dr Zhivago - crushed marble
- The Shining - 900 tons of salt and styrofoam
- It's a Wonderful Life - 600 gallons of water, soap and foam

So which would be best to ski on, do you think?
ski holidays
http://www.unige.ch/climate/Publications/Beniston/CC97B.pdf
ski holidays
It was +11c at the bases of Glencoe and Cairngorm at 9pm this evening (Tues).
latest report
18z offers up a cold and snowy FI for the Alps. But it's a bit out on a limb in terms of recent runs. Be interesting to see if there is any hint of that in tomorrow morning's output or whether it's just a ghost in the machine...
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
18z offers up a cold and snowy FI for the Alps. But it's a bit out on a limb in terms of recent runs. Be interesting to see if there is any hint of that in tomorrow morning's output or whether it's just a ghost in the machine...

Beats a kick in the head!

Storm a brewing tonight in the PNW. Could see upwards of a few feet of snow in the Cascades over the next 5 days. Will go and sample some tomorrow as part of my training for Christmas week in the Alps. Very Happy
snow report
Little sign of it in GFS this morning, but temperatures dropping at the end of ECMs run.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scorchio in Grenoble this lunchtime, like an English summer[1]

but quite cold when you move out of the sun. I've had a look at the weather stations and the settlement/melt on sunny aspects is around 10 to 20cm since Sunday but more like 5cm on shaded slopes, so not so bad. My friend Anny sent me this picture from Chamrousse this afternoon. However this is at 1750m - higher than the recent rain/snow line. At les 7 Laux at 1550 meters there is "barely enough snow to ski at the bottom of the slopes but higher up it is all good".

don't worry she always skis knocked kneed but she skis pretty well all the same. Snow is crusty off piste except on shaded north facing slopes where it is beginning to facet up nicely. There is a very good overnight refreeze meaning some hard and icy snow. Take care. A guy was helicoptered off from Bareges yesterday after falling on hard snow.

[1]Sent la pluie comme un été Anglais
Entends les notes d'une chanson lointaine
Sortant de derriere d'un poster
Espérant que la vie ne fut aussi longue
ski holidays
Not sure that "facet up nicely" is not a disaster waiting to happen as the season progresses. A faceted lay will often become a weak layer as further snow falls.
ski holidays
12z GFS brings a brief and rather light snowy interlude to the northern Alps on 09 December with some cold weather in the eastern Alps.

Far FI gets interesting around 16 December, but at +336...
ski holidays
Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan, last week received its biggest November snowfall in 60 years...

ski holidays
ECM looking much better at +240.

snow conditions
Just as we touchdown into Salzburg. Go ECM.
snow report
GFS 12Z looking better too?
latest report
Toadman wrote:
nozawaonsen wrote:

Beats a kick in the head!

Storm a brewing tonight in the PNW. Could see upwards of a few feet of snow in the Cascades over the next 5 days. Will go and sample some tomorrow as part of my training for Christmas week in the Alps. Very Happy

This thread needs more pics of snow!!!

Didn't quite get as much as was forecast but they received about 10CM of fresh on firm base. It was low crowds, and fun to get some exercise in for Christmas week in the Alps!

Still forecast holding for more PNW snow but FL to fluctuate, and of course the obligatory caveat on timing, precip amounts.

snow report
escooler wrote:
Quote:

Generation Kill?

That was a great series, always thought it deserved a follow up.
ski holidays
18z shows (a lot of) promise in FI from around 13 December, but will this be reflected in tomorrow morning's output?
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
18z shows (a lot of) promise in FI from around 13 December, but will this be reflected in tomorrow morning's output?

And of course FI promise will continue to reflect into reality. wink
snow conditions
00Z ECM showing a change taking place from 11th December.

00Z GFS OP run showing fair bit of precipitation around the 12th across the Alps though this has very little support in the ensembles. Still support though for lighter precipitation around the 9th for areas North of the Alpine Ridge. Temperatures also look like they could be heading closer to average across a lot of places
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy