Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2013/2014 (Post Season 50cm New Snow :-)

Poster: A snowHead
DB, perfect timing, right on cue.....arrive 8 March, never let us down yet!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If any SH's about on 14 March got a guide for the day and we'd be up for a couple more like minded pow seekers to join us to make us 6. PM me if you're interested. Me, my pal, Matt Dulcmara and his mate so far. Looking at Matts photos above we're not going to be shy when it comes to a few drop offs and steep ones. Zurs for the day.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Small, well studied drop offs with added fear squeaks thrown in!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB,

As reported. Winter returns (starts). Starting thie weekend all over North Western
Europe.

Next week is Fasching. Could make for some problematic travel although
the bulk of the snow should come after the weekend.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The gfs wigglies don't concur with Bergfex Sad it could get very warm 8-11th as well.

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/uploads/122/MS_1047_ens_27Feb2014_1400.gif

MS_1047_ens_27Feb2014_1400.gif

Would be nice if it comes off though as I'm going to Ischgl on the 8th Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hedley, that's showing a fair bit of precipitation activity around but not big spikes, so will be interesting to see what actually falls
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That's better we can all keep an eye on it now.

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi all - newbie here but fantastic info on St Anton has been absorbed...but had a couple of questions from the experts - I'm in St anton next week (having been before and loved it ) and not sure what Fasching is? Guessing its a festival? What do I need to know?? Does it involve alcohol at all???
And can you suggest which are the easist itinerary runs in St Anton? - I did the White Ring a couple of years back and recall a friendly bit of unpisted but marked stuff and i don't have any heroic aspirations - just something I can safely struggle down,,,

Thanks
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sergeantslow,

http://german.about.com/od/culture/tp/Fasching-In-Germany.htm

http://youtube.com/v/qY8a1vFOcf0

http://youtube.com/v/9MjkLhkcXM8

http://youtube.com/v/nggQ0EVDGx0

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 27-02-14 19:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sergeantslow,

Fasching = Carnival = Mardi Gras

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_in_Germany,_Switzerland_and_Austria

It is not so big in St Anton (well not at all ) but I can remember when Ash Wednesday was strictly observed. No music , dancing in any bars or discos.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB wrote:
There's a real chance that we see a winter after all.
http://www.bergfex.com/stanton-stchristoph/wetter/berg/

.... even in eastern Austria
http://www.bergfex.at/semmering-stuhleck/wetter/berg/

Weren't you supposed to get snow last night and today (according to snow forecast)? What happened to that? Seems a familiar theme this year that forecasted snow doesn't materialise?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
peanuthead,

Yes they keep forecasting significant dumps a week-ahead which turns out to be a bit of ankle dust. We live in hope.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well am out week after next so if next weeks dumps do materialise that's alright for me
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for info on fasching. Any thoughts on the less challenging itinerary routes? Am I ok asking on this thread or should I be somewhere else?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sergeantslow wrote:
Thanks for info on fasching. Any thoughts on the less challenging itinerary routes? Am I ok asking on this thread or should I be somewhere else?

You could start another thread in the "Trip reviews" area, but no harm in asking here. I think most St Anton regulars read this thread to get updates from the locals so I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong with this advice...

The difficulty of the routes varies with conditions, right after a storm they get skied immediately, so on the first day they'll be chopped up (unless you are there within minutes of them opening to get fresh powder). After a day or so most of them are skied out to be pretty much pistes, although some get quite bumpy.

The steeper ones are marked with black borders around the orange diamonds on the maps, so look for ones that don't have this to find easier routes.

Probably the tamest gradient is Schindler Kar (15), just avoid the steeper variants at the bottom. It's a long run but no parts of it are very steep. Osthang isn't too bad but does get quite bumpy and snow can be poor lower down. I think Mattun from the top of Kappl is actually quite tame if you follow the markers although that gets the black borders on the map, I suspect because you have to traverse some steeper ground which might be a bit off putting. I wouldn't do that in poor visibility though, it would be easy to stray in to steeper areas if you got lost.

There are a few other fairly tame ones in Zürs too, from the Trittfopf lift (I'm pretty sure you can get to some of them from Hexenboden too).

Hope that helps!

[Edit] Just looked at an older piste map from a couple of years ago (it's on my office wall... sad I know). On that map the Mattun runs are marked as "just" orange, i.e. not "extreme". If the weather is clear I'd recommend exploring that area, it's not steep if you follow the markers. Because it's a bigger area than some of the others there's a good chance of finding a bit of untracked snow after a storm too, although the obvious lines get skied out fast.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 28-02-14 15:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Echo the comments about the itineraries getting skied very quickly after opening following snowfall (they won't all open straight away depending on the snow that falls, some, such as Schindler and Mattun, tend to open a little later whilst they blast) and some get bumpy very quickly, lower down Osthang where it goes under the Galzigbahn is almost always bumps.

Was in Piccadilly last night, cracking atmosphere for the live band (Jay Bano) and the place was pretty packed. They have posters up advertising a fancy dress night for Fasching on Tuesday. Beyond that there's not really much more going on for Fasching, apart from the Spar staff who always dress up, as said already, it's not really that big here.
latest report
Been a little bit of dusting overnight, cm or two here in resort.
snow conditions
Bergfex forecasting a lot of snow (and I think stanton made a comment to this effect yesterday) on Wednesday / Thursday of next week followed by a FL of 2,500M at the weekend - no justice in that, is there?
snow report
sah, Sitter, great info - much appreciated
snow conditions
Ruddy typical, yesterday 65 to 75 cm new snow was forecast for late next week in easten Austria. Forecast now down-graded to around 10 to 15cm rolling eyes
snow report
DB, a couple of years ago Bergfex increased the range of it's forecasts from six to nine days. Beyond six days forecast accuracy degrades rapidly which Bergfex tried to show by greying out the 6-9 day period and showing snowfall as a range rather than being specific. To be honest I think it would be preferable to always give a range rather than reinforce the illusion that it's possible to give a cm accurate forecast. It's not. Anyway take anything beyond six days as very broad brush and take account of the lower end of the range as well as the higher (even if the higher is more eye catching).

Sitter, think BURG in Lech is doing a fasching comic book heroes party. In general I would expect an increased incidence of costumes during Fasching.

On a separate subject January tourist figures for St Anton show a year on year fall of 7.6% for January overnight stays.
snow report
sergeantslow, route 18 under Valfagehrbahn is pretty tame from memory.....it gets a little steeper at the end..and make sure you don't go to far skiers left and drop off a cliff Wink
snow report
kitenski wrote:
sergeantslow, route 18 under Valfagehrbahn is pretty tame from memory.....it gets a little steeper at the end..and make sure you don't go to far skiers left and drop off a cliff Wink

It's a good run and the flat section at the top puts a lot of folks off so it doesn't get much traffic compared to other runs, but I've taken "less ambitious" skiers down there before and they were not impressed... It is pretty steep lower down. Worth a try if you are happy with the easier ones and conditions are good though.
latest report
sah, yes the obligatory skating at the start does tend to put people off (it's actually up hill not just flat at the start). After that it's not especially tricky (as long as you can see where you are going) and feels pleasantly off the beaten track (albeit there's a lift above you at times), I agree the route out can be more challenging, it's certainly the steepest part (except for the cliffs!). There's some fun ones in Rendl too if you want to get used to varying terrain.
snow conditions
Beautiful Sunny Sunday Morning. Winter Temperature up on Galzig . Fresh Snow Dust (Few Cms) overnight .

Have fun out there today .. Very Happy
snow report
5 sleeps and counting........snow forecast and cold weather looking very positive this week! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Everyone skiing in Austra or anywhere right now.

If you meet or talk to a Russian.

Please tell them their boss is a complete

f u c k i n
A s s h o l e!
ski holidays
stanton wrote:

f u c k i n
A s s h o l e!

............. That'll be ..... "Da, ochen karrosho tovareesch, Ya looblyu vac president!" Skullie

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 4-03-14 7:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lech am Arlberg 16:30...

OK Folks I can smell Snow in the air, snow this evening & tomorrow. No major Dump just a few cms of Dust.

Its going to get a lot WARMER this weekend + Temps Sad
snow conditions
It's starting to really pi$$ me off now. Everywhere else in Europe seems to be getting all the snow. Austria just keeps getting to quote stanton, ankle dust. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
stanton,

I see the Matt family had a fire, any local news?

http://kurier.at/chronik/oesterreich/flirsch-brand-in-tischlerei-von-mario-matts-vater/54.313.277
snow conditions
DB, It was a huge fire that started in the paint shop of his Farther's (Hubert) Carpentry business. No one injured. The two skiing brothers helped out (Mario,Andreas )

They had to take the roof off to pour the water in . The above house which is the home of Mario & Andreas was badly damaged. Guest rooms were fully occupied.

The building is mostly destroyed so almost certain have to be pulled down a complete rebuild.

140 firefighters attended. Firetrucks came from as far as Landeck.

His farther is often in the KK, he did the remodelling when It was taken over by Mario.
latest report
Saw a photo of the building taken whilst it was still up in flames (taken just as the first Feuerwehr were arriving). Tiroler Tagezeitung article has a short video

http://www.tt.com/panorama/unfall/8025021-91/großbrand-in-flirsch-elternhaus-von-mario-matt-schwer-beschädigt.csp

Edit, doesn't seem to like the Eszett in the URL, article is linked to from here: http://www.tt.com/tirol/landeck/index.csp
ski holidays
Coming out to St Anton on Saturday. Looks as though the temperature is set to rise considerably. How will this effect things? Is there enough snow up the mountain to ride it out? Hoping to get a bit of off piste action but to be honest, happy to remain on piste if that isn't really possible. Trying to remain positive.....
latest report
samw,

Plenty snow until end of season April 27th. Then the real season starts Very Happy

Btw. It is March air temperature does start to rise so no surprise.....
snow conditions
rise from what? its been 10 degrees all season! Goddam Yanks stole all our cold!
snow report
Not looking forward to the slushy moguls coming back down towards village
snow report
kb36 wrote:
Not looking forward to the slushy moguls coming back down towards village

They're the best kind of moguls! Get some fat boys with a bit of rocker and you night enjoy them (or not hate them so much).
ski holidays
Small problem, I will be on a board
snow conditions
Doesn't look like the high pressure over Europe will last for weeks - signs that it might start breaking down from next weekend onwards (but still a long time off to be certain).

stanton, do they normally shut any lifts down before the 27th or do they keep most stuff open until the closing weekend, thanks.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy