Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2008 / 2009

Poster: A snowHead
genepi wrote:
bertie bassett, It'll get worse than that before the season closes. Thats just off the main piste though, isnt it. They usually manage to keep the main piste covered, if a little porridge like (thinking last season Skullie )
We get there Fri evening - what time does the lift open this week?

9am to 17:05 for Peisey IIRC. I think from Saturday it might be another 15 minutes but I don't have a plan de pistes to hand to check...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bertie bassett, Thank you snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well it looks like I am not missing to much right now Skullie Hope to see some good pics from you guys if the new snow does arrive. Very Happy. Hope adam got his flight ok. Pleased he enjoyed the trips we did. Bertie, I look forward to seeing you out with us on your board when I get back. Enjoy the empty slopes in the coming weeks.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bertie bassett, BO**OCKS we had a great day over your side of the rope the reds especially below Derby down into Vallandry wre skiing beautifully never had any water skiing bit softer and spring like down to Vanoise at the end bout have skied a lot worse even in January
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
redrunmarcus, You'll absolutely love it if the promised snow does arrive then......
Quote:
bertie bassett, BO**OCKS we had a great day over your side of the rope the reds especially below Derby down into Vallandry wre skiing beautifully never had any water skiing bit softer and spring like down to Vanoise at the end bout have skied a lot worse even in January
On the other hand, maybe not...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What is happening with the green temperature line on the 00Z run?? It appears to be an outlier, but it is way out!!!

Edit - Posted on the wrong topic.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 4-03-09 21:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bertie bassett, doesn't look too bad - ok patch of earth, but can ski around it and they are good with the cannons there.

I was there Xmas 06 which was probably the worst snow for years and years and there was still plenty to ski on for me

This is a treat for us this, had a fab week in Jan with loads of snow so any extra we can get is fine by me
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
redrunmarcus wrote:

given that most of the seasonaires were / are in the pub then on the slope, I'm probably not alone in my thoughts.

Still it's getting chuffin windy now so it's probably a sign the weather's going to change...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have just come back from Les Arc and I have to say I had a fantastic time there.
The skiing was amazing in my opinion.
Stay in Altitude at Arc 2000 and had a superb week. The weather was amazing too and the OH loved it.

Am now on the look out for a late deal in March as we have both got the bug really bad.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bertie bassett, your right very windy over there today....allanm, I am looking forward to the new snow still none yet Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We're arriving in the early hours of Saturday morning, staying in 1950 -- so we're joining those of you fervently petitioning our assorted powers that be for these rumoured buckets of fresh.

snowcrazy, if I've got the wrong snowHead please forgive the confusion - but is there a chance we might have met one whited-out afternoon last season in VT? If so then johnnyboy was there, as was a great deal of beer, and Newcastle might or might not have been playing on the telly... either way, if you fancy a(nother) beer and maybe don't mind us picking your brains for local knowledge please ping me a PM.

The same for any other snowHead 's who are out there 7th-15th - always up for a sérieux or two - drop a PM if you fancy catching up, it'd be good to meet you! Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snojito wrote:
snowcrazy, if I've got the wrong snowHead please forgive the confusion - but is there a chance we might have met one whited-out afternoon last season in VT? If so then johnnyboy was there, as was a great deal of beer, and Newcastle might or might not have been playing on the telly... either way, if you fancy a(nother) beer and maybe don't mind us picking your brains for local knowledge please ping me a PM.

The same for any other snowHead 's who are out there 7th-15th - always up for a sérieux or two - drop a PM if you fancy catching up, it'd be good to meet you! Very Happy

It is the same person and I thjink I was there as well, happy hour at the viking!!!!!! I can just about remember.....

Hope the snow arrives as promised as we'll be the other side of the vanoise exp next week,
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Roger C, you're spot on, the viking it was -- good to hear from you again!!!

So you guys will be in LP the same time as us will you? Where some might see coincidence, I see the awesome power of snowheads...

We're planning at least one day over across the La Plagne side, maybe some kind of Champions League two-legged return fixture is in order - it'd be good to say hi to you, and to Chris, and of course to whoever else is about!

Hope you've been well since last we met? Will drop you a PM

Ian
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Webcams at 1950 and top of transarc showing fresh snow.

wonder how much?

Tux
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
about 10 cms down in 1650, probably more higher up..genepi definitely is the snow queen.

good conditions to get out but poor visibility. didn't get higher than the derby myself as all looked horrible above that in terms of visibility. Offpiste a little deceptive - not quite as much pow as you might expect, and quite easy to break thru to the ice, which made it a bit tricky at times. still much better than earlier this week and if it snows all night then 1st lift will be order of the day...
ski holidays
I had a great day of boarding in spring like conditions on Saturday, nice way to end my week. Back out again in two weeks for my final fix

Anybody fancying a trip to Vallandry on 22nd March see below, advert expires tomorrow

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FANTASTIC-VALUE-SKI-HOLIDAY-TO-VALLANDRY-LES-ARCS_W0QQitemZ110358587825QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Tickets_Travel_Package_Holidays_CV?hash=item110358587825&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
latest report
Fabulous lovely light powder on and off piste today. Not exactly waist deep - but pretty deep now in some places off piste, so we werent breaking through to the base. Visibility was mixed. Some bright spells this morning with mist and snow closing in this afternoon. Dont know what the vis was like higher up because we skied through the forest in Peisy most of the day with bits of off piste between there and 1800. It looked set in - but now I am back in Bourg it looks a bit clearer - so dont know if more will fall over night.
ski holidays
Saturday was overcast, but without much fresh snowfall. Sunday bright sunny day.

Still some fresh tracks to be had without hiking but most bit tend to be chopped up (eg. gd col area). Today was lovely skiing, nice and warm so a bit slushy on the lower pistes but generally good otherwise, firmer pistes higher up and off piste still good - not yet that crusty...

more snow forecast for tomorrow - well according to snow-something.com
snow conditions
weird heli evacuation seen today.. heading up lanchette around 13:00 saw a heli hovering off to our right. We spotted some people on the cliffs between genepi and robert blanc pistes, and the heli was winching people up one by one. Looking at where the skiers had ended up I reckon they'd found the 'now way out' run and actually were completely unable to get down. Now correct me if I'm wrong but at the top of the cliffs where the spilt is with arandelieres going left and ag rouge right, then don't the signs there say 'don't go off-piste as you put your life and the life of rescuers in danger" (or something close to that)

I reckon someones credit card would have taken a hammering today to pay the heli toll...let alone the bollockig they would have got from the pisteurs...
ski holidays
Nasty eh Bertie!

Tipping down with snow here in Bourg at the moment - and forecast to stay set in at least for today and maybe tomorrow too!!
Some of the off piste was starting to get quite crusty by 5pm yesterday (the ridge above Arcabulle in particular) = but now the new snow should make it fun !!!!
snow conditions
Quote:

Now correct me if I'm wrong but at the top of the cliffs where the spilt is with arandelieres going left and ag rouge right, then don't the signs there say 'don't go off-piste as you put your life and the life of rescuers in danger" (or something close to that)

bertie bassett, They do!

snow report
Boris wrote:
Quote:

Now correct me if I'm wrong but at the top of the cliffs where the spilt is with arandelieres going left and ag rouge right, then don't the signs there say 'don't go off-piste as you put your life and the life of rescuers in danger" (or something close to that)

bertie bassett, They do!

I knew someone had taken the photo, and yes it was on the cliffs below those signs... shades of darwin again.

Snowed about 6cm last night, (1650) and still snowing lightly now, melting a little (on the roads) but definitely soft and fluffy on the pistes..not great vis - from top of derby it was a bit rubish till you got back in the trees.

Rossignol running a public ski-test in vallandry today / tomorrow - http://demotour.skisrossignol.com/
ski holidays
Thanks for the regular updates all - I'm pleased to see its still getting a good dose now and again.

Quick Q for those familiar with the place whilst I'm lurking, though - going to be visiting Arc 2000 soon ( Very Happy ) and was going to drop my skis off somewhrere for a wax and spot of base repair - any reccomendations of outstanding competence or particular places to avoid? Staying in the chalets des neiges bit, if that makes any odds. Thanks.
snow report
Cunners wrote:
Thanks for the regular updates all - I'm pleased to see its still getting a good dose now and again.

Quick Q for those familiar with the place whilst I'm lurking, though - going to be visiting Arc 2000 soon ( Very Happy ) and was going to drop my skis off somewhrere for a wax and spot of base repair - any reccomendations of outstanding competence or particular places to avoid? Staying in the chalets des neiges bit, if that makes any odds. Thanks.

Dunno in arc 2000 myself there's a big shop in 2000 opposite the lanchettes lift (an intersport IIRC) ..but shop around - one shop in peisey-vallandry charges 20 euro, another shop charges 35..
snow conditions
currently puking it in Plan-Peisey
ski holidays
bertie bassett wrote:
currently puking it in Plan-Peisey

Is this a weather report - or did you have one to many at lunch?

Assuming the former - good - 3 weeks Saturday will be there
ski holidays
1. Ta - I'll just go on the usual search for the least wasted looking ski tech; and

2. Woooohoooo!

It's going to nuke on and off for the next 11 days, then it's going to be a week of perfect bluebird days and huge dumps at night for a week with minimal avi risk. Maybe. I hope.
latest report
Meteo France are reporting half a metre of fresh snow in the last three or four days. Today there's a bit of high cloud and no wind, currently -5º at 1800m. I think it's going to be a good day Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, Enjoy yourself but out in 2 weeks so leave some for us please Cool
latest report
Going green where's the jealously emoticon when you need it?

590 hours ( aka 25 days) PLEEEAAAASSSE save some for us...
snow report
snojito, Sorry mate, not around right now as I am tasting the good life in switzerland until the end of March. Hope to see you another time.

Boris, bertie bassett, There is a route down this face, but not for the light hearted and your really MUST know where you are going. I had a call a heli for someone I saw stuck on those cliffs earlier this season. This happens quite often.

It sounds like you are having some nice snow as well, but I wonder who has the most. Just had my 5th powder day in a week although the vis here is not so good. See you all again in April.
snow report
Heavy snow since lunchtime, on top of the snow we had yesterday, and it's not too windy so if it clears up tomorrow will be great. Full snow report later, once I've recovered from being beasted by BernardC (again) Smile
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
Heavy snow since lunchtime, on top of the snow we had yesterday, and it's not too windy so if it clears up tomorrow will be great. Full snow report later, once I've recovered from being beasted by BernardC (again) Smile

Sounds fun Laughing Rob@rar

I think your snow report is pretty spot on, although I would add that the vis was a bit iffy - not sure I agree with the whole 'not too windy' - I found it pretty windy at the top of the derby..indeed the snow was starting to blow off the top of the renard...

Currently still snowing quite hard in Plan-Peisey...
ski holidays
bertie bassett, compared to some of the storms we've had this season it's pretty calm. I was at the top of Roche di Mio early afternoon and it was a bit blustery but not too bad, and as I type this at Arc 1800 the snow is falling vertically Smile You're rigt about the visibility - I skied like a baby giraffe when the weather closed in this afternoon Sad
snow report
yep - still tipping it down in Bourg.
I dont think it was windy today Bertie??
We did partly off piste to Villaroger first thing (some slabs breaking off in places - need to take care) - then off the side of Drosset - fab snow - then one of Snowcrazy's routes round to the left of Malgovert (by that time the vis was really pretty bad!!). Snow was light and lovely though so it was worth it.
The black Fond Blanc with hardish moguls hidden and filled in with fresh snow and in very poor visibility was an "interesting" run - Didnt exactly ski it with much style rolling eyes
When we go back to the 1800/1600 main pistes around 4.30 - they were starting to get heavy with snow too.
Think tomorrow is forecast to clear a bit.
Hi Rob
snow report
Dumparama, baby!

Cool
snow conditions
jayne durham wrote:
Hi Rob

Hello [insert waving smiley].
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
I skied like a baby giraffe Sad

Your legs aren't long enough to be a giraffe!
snow conditions
Kitty wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
I skied like a baby giraffe Sad

Your legs aren't long enough to be a giraffe!

Mmm, fair point. I skied like a baby bambi when the light went.
ski holidays
rob@rar, Awww-sweet Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy