Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes - Winter 2008-2009

Poster: A snowHead
Is Desmoiselles that long narrow green you told me about?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Butterfly, Yes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Butterfly, We walked down it in the summer with the dog (from the red eggs) and it is VERY, VERY long!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just got home from a grest week in LDA. The weather was mostly beautiful, excepting some strong winds high up on a couple of days.

Pistes generally in superb condition which allowed me to really improve my ability level, influenced largely by another excellent and most useful lesson from easiski last Saturday. Thanks again Charlotte for enabling me to enjoy my skiing so much more.

As we had a hire car, we made use of the LDA 6-day pass and spent a day in Sestriere / Sauze d'Oulx and another in Serre Chavalier to enjoy some tree-lined skiing.

Highlight of the week though was the final descent on Thursday afternoon. Posettes was in fantastic shape at about 5pm and proved the perfect way to round the trip off.

Shocked to see LDA in the news this morning though Shocked horrible stuff.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Shocked to see LDA in the news this morning though horrible stuff.

What's this then?...... Puzzled
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stevos999, http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090228/twl-two-die-in-alps-fall-41f21e0.html
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
R32, I walked down it in the summer-before-last from the Jandri xpress midstation - about 7 miles very very long!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chalky, stevos999, This is not all that unusual. People fairly regularly fall off the Venosc cliff. It's well marked, and they always seem to have just left the Avalanche - Smithys makes a change! As with the girl in Val D, people need to remember that they're in a hostile environment! Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lampbus, It doesn't look that bad until you realise that you have to zig-zag your way down it and share it with lots of dumper trucks leaving you in a cloud of dust Shocked Laughing

Chalky, Yes very sad Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lovely warm day today. I have it on good authority that the snow was reqally nice - spring snow and a bit of windblown too. Great day staying at home and watching ski racing on TV! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, Glad you've had a good relaxing day - bet Ioda appreciated your company too. Think I might not make Desmoiselles' acquaintance - well certainly not more than once anyway. It looked blooming narrow from the Jandri if it's the path I am thinking of Shocked nothing like the Foret in Vallandry. That is l--o--n--g but pleasantly winds through the trees, and it crosses several reds meaning you can do a short section of a red and then retreat which is what the ESF instructor somehow persuaded me to do, just the once. Was pleased I had done it but it scared me witless Embarassed
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Butterfly, The Demoiselles is more useful for good skiers as a discipline for short, shallow turns (edge rolling). Kids love it, adults hate it. It's not a lot of fun snowploughing in a straight line for 5 Kms! rolling eyes Ok if it's quiet (as in the photo) - murder at lunchtime and 16.00. I often use it as a quick and easy way down - first 2 legs + bottom of Valentin - but then I just straight line it, so it's nil stress on the legs. Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Good snow on piste yesterday, N facing slopes off were pretty hard although not as bad as they have been (probably the air temp), still hard enough to keep me out the couloir electrique though. Other slopes have been going through a nice spring cycle as per one of my previous posts. Then today it's been a bit windy and rainy at times and snowy at others. Went to La Grave on Friday and ticked off the Banane and the Derobe, my first couloirs: not too bad once you drop in. Snow was gorgeous over there no ice and generally fairly soft skier packed powder bit bumpy in the normal places (more than a bit at the bottom of Pylons) but it was a great day.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i did the run or the top half every day in order to get to the other side petit moutet is it???? i normally skipped between the bends of piste, far less busy and no snow ploughers there!

Its quite a frustrating run for certain, you spend the entire time up the bank overtaking people that make turns about 50cms to each side. The best part about the run is all the nice snow on the edges beacuse the ploughers are to scared to get within a metre of the edge!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
swskier, Pied Moutet - good try!

It snowed today and was mostly quite foggy, although we did see bits of mountains from time to time, and almost saw the sun twice! It wasn't snowing hard on the Cretes, but it was giving us a bit of cover on top. The snow was nice but a bit sticky. I skied down Valentin from the top and it wasn't very nice though - easy snow, quite mushy and with bumps you couldn't see - very flat light. OK for peeps though and I stuck firmly to the left all the way. It's amazing how much slower they all go when they can't see. Shocked wink

2 pix today: the sunny one was taken on Weds I think of Le Mura and the other one is of people sitting in the foggy snow at Le Patachon the fast food bit of the resto at Les Cretes. BTW, hot choc, diet coke + water = €7.80 for my student so not staff prices.
ski holidays
Only a week now till we hit the LDA slopes Very Happy What would be the best area for our first day's skiing (experienced skier but first day on snow this year).
latest report
espri, glacier if it's nice, toura if not so nice
snow report
Thanks, easiski.
snow conditions
Any shops have ski sales in Les 2 Alpes yet? Might be on the look out for something like a pair of Dynastar Mystic Legend or similar all mountain ski but only a a good price.
ski holidays
espri, looking forward to meeting you!
snow report
Peter Ross, I don't know particularly, but rumours are that all shops are doing major deals at the moment!

Another foggy, snowy, rainy (depending where you were on the mountain) day with a lot of very sticky snow around.

Pic of the size of one (yes one!) ESF class!
snow report
Quote:

rumours are that all shops are doing major deals at the moment

Shocked Shocked uh-ho....that worries me on two counts,
1. I may want some different skis to buy and have just found out my credit card pin number Skullie
2. my better half is a shopaholic! she'll go hell for leather if she finds a bargin rolling eyes
ski holidays
stevos999, Most of the shops are ski shops though, so unless she wants lots of ski gear ..... Also there are strict rules about sales in france, so there are no signs in the windows, just a 'chat' wink

going to LG today (if it clears up) - still looks foggy and horrid at the moment but the forecast is good. Very Happy fingers and tows crossed
latest report
easiski, Thanks for the info, although I don't know how they can stir up business if they can't advertise a sale, sounds anti competitive to me.
latest report
easiski wrote:
........the forecast is good. Very Happy fingers and tows crossed

Avoid crossed tows at all costs NehNeh Laughing
latest report
Red Leon, you beat me to that one Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Peter Ross, AFAIUI there are certain times of the year when they're allowed to advertise sales - but that sounds odd to me as lots of the shops are advertising money off, but not usually in the windows.... Confused

Red Leon, lampbus, Embarassed that'll teach me to post in a hurry in the morning won't it?

Todays weather was sooooo much better - colder, sunny, all over blue skies to start with. However it was really quite hard first thing as all that moisture in the snow had frozen overnight. Sad the Cretes wasn't too bad, little dusting of fresh overnight, but not as much as yesterday. Valentin was rock hard (and I had blunt edges on the zags when I've been used to my new Fishcers), but after 11.00 the nursery slopes were softening up nicely.

then I went to La Grave. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Much better weather, about 10cms of the lightest of light powder on top of a firm base. enough of it to make more than a few turns in the real thing, and although busy for LG it was sooooo quiet after here. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy We skied the Vallons to the mid station then back up and then all the way down the extreme right looking down (the ice cave is completely covered). The bumps through the trees and the path were horrid, and the last meadow wasn't brilliant, but was fine really - just the comparison.

pix of looking down part of the Vallons and then the Moody, misty, Meije from below. Very Happy
snow report
Totally different day today - very cold, very windy, cloudy and snowing. Shocked Not a lot of fun OTW. Since I've been back at home it's been snowing more seriously, and consequently I'm hopeful of a decent covering by tomorrow. Very Happy Pic is looking up from the village to the Diable in the gloom
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's dark looking! it looks like maybe 50cm in the next few days snowHead
latest report
Quote:

It's dark looking! it looks like maybe 50cm in the next few days

I wish..snow-forecast.com (which I'm checking far too often) suggests only about 30 cm in total (heavy tonight and then constant light stuff until Friday) followed by sunshine and clear skies sat-mon....I'm in heaven Very Happy Very Happy Cool - and praying that it doesn't change it's mind like it did yesterday where the prediction was for 20cm on Sunday too. (love the snow, but really love the snow at night, sun in the day Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Looking pretty good atm snowing fairly heavily in town.
snow conditions
stevos999 wrote:

I wish..snow-forecast.com (which I'm checking far too often) suggests only about 30 cm in total (heavy tonight and then constant light stuff until Friday) followed by sunshine and clear skies sat-mon....I'm in heaven Very Happy Very Happy Cool - and praying that it doesn't change it's mind like it did yesterday where the prediction was for 20cm on Sunday too. (love the snow, but really love the snow at night, sun in the day Madeye-Smiley

Sounds like what I ordered from those nice chappies on the official weather outlook thread! Didn't realise they really had power like that Laughing
snow report
Snowing.........

Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
R32, about 3 inches on the road already.
snow conditions
Swirly, We've had about 3mm here in Gateshead.....disappeared quicker than it fell though Sad
When do you come home?
snow report
R32, don't really know, depends what happens with the snow at the end of the season last year La Grave extended for a bit so if that happens we'll stay a bit longer otherwise some time about the 1st of May I guess.
latest report
Swirly, don't forget that if you want to hang about and just chill a bit I'm looking for someone to stay here for a couple of weeks to look after Ioda while I go to visit my parents.

Huge snow last night, not the lightest powder when I walked home at about 21.45 or so. Probably better if it's not too light as it wouldn't stick to the ice. Shocked
snow report
Does anyone know of a good shop for ski testing in Les 2 Alpes that also has a good sale? I might be looking for an all mountain type ski, maybe Dynastar of Volkl.
snow conditions
Snow is looking great on the webcam....
Only two weeks on Monday 'til we are out there!!
Hope the hubby's back is recovered in time Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
Looking forward to seeing Old Friends Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Aztec, Hey - cool. I thought you were going back to the states (sharon said). sorry to hear that Mr Aztec's hurt his back - hope it's better, but if not take him to see Gian-Luca Brero and I'm sure he'll sort it - he's a magician!

today was very foggy, snowing lightly, very flat light most of the time and fairly cold. OTOH it wasn't too windy, and the forecast for tomorrow suggests a nicer day but very high winds. Sad Lots of snow everywhere, bumps, skiing into the deep on the Cretes (you couldn't see where it was) meant a dead stop or a headplant. Shocked The new snow quality at 2,400m was much better though, so poor viz apart it must have been quite nice further up. I did come down the GP which was interesting as I couldn't see where there were bumps under the new snow. Shocked Also skiing on the Fischers, every time I hit a bump I nearly did a foward roll. rolling eyes rolling eyes That said, and given that the snow was knee deep and quite heavy it skied OK.
Pic of 2 local kids having fun, but not going any faster than me on the way down. And yes - it really was that murky!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy