Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2023/2024 (Dec 1 - April 21)

Poster: A snowHead
@ulmerhutte, brief cold snowy spell due from Sunday onwards, damp & mild until then....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ulmerhutte wrote:
@sbooker, I believe there are lockers at the Bahnhof, but not sure how useful they would be - a bit out of the way, and probably cold. You could try Jennewein or Alber and see if they will rent you a locker.

Alber will rent you a locker at the depot by the the Galzigbahn. Friends are using it now.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 8-02-24 21:08; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Back in. Not the only one abandoning ship early - L4 bus was full.

It was truly horrible. It had snowed about 5 - 10cm at the Gampen level. Calling it wet snow does not do it justice. Some people might remember using Clag in primary school. That is what it felt like. Skis just would not run. It was hot/humid and rained on & off. Decided in the end that it did make sense to risk ligament damage, especially since I have another month here, so in I went.

It seems this season that if there is to be a crappy day, then it will happen on Thursday.

BTW: it seems the nose-biter has been identified and arrested.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ulmerhutte, I was (very) few miles away in Kleinwalsertal : rain, sludge, moguls, totally flat light and out of control skiers ... I gave up too. Even to the extent of downloading!

Seems the biter and the bitten were both Brits! What can you say?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Steilhang wrote:

Seems the biter and the bitten were both Brits! What can you say?

Die Briten, die spinnen Skullie
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I remember reading in an old English skiguide, I think it was called Debrett's, from the 1980's, that "the queuing in St.Anton was as civilized as only the English were supposed to do".
Seriously! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh. And any recommendation for a decent but not necessarily super fancy lunch spot please? I’m thinking something where we don’t have to line up like cattle like we did today at Ischgl.
Thanks in advance.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sbooker, in any of the villages or in a specific one?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Over the St Anton half of the area please.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sbooker, we had a really nice pizza in St Anton at Anthonys https://maps.app.goo.gl/snfvwcGPSy4LCEi17?g_st=ic
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@sbooker, in general, to avoid the queues, go in for lunch before 11:30 or after 1:30. If it is a crappy or stormy day, then that advice no longer works.

In St Anton, I am most familiar with the 2 tiers of restaurants. There are the lift co self-service restaurants, which can be found in the Galzigbahn top station, Gampen, Stuben Mittelstation, etc. Soup will be €8-10, while mains will be around €12-20.

The next tier up might be the à la carte restaurants, some of which are also in the above buildings, eg Himmeleck in the Gampen. Mains in those restaurants are typically in the €30 - 40 tier. I dare say there are places that are much more expensive.

There are then places that become apres venues later on, eg Mooser, Heustadl, SennHütte etc. They serve food at lunch time, but I have never eaten in any of them, except Mooser many years ago. Don’t know much about them.

If you do a search back through this thread, you will find various recommendations across the whole Arlberg.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ulmerhutte,
Thanks.@kitenski, thanks.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@sbooker, I have rented a boots/helmet/gloves heated locker before at Alber Sport without hiring skis or boots from them. It was downstairs and very convenient.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidthornton wrote:
ulmerhutte wrote:
@sbooker, I believe there are lockers at the Bahnhof, but not sure how useful they would be - a bit out of the way, and probably cold. You could try Jennewein or Alber and see if they will rent you a locker.

Alber will rent you a locker at the depot by the the Galzigbahn. Friends are using it now.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sbooker wrote:
Oh. And any recommendation for a decent but not necessarily super fancy lunch spot please? I’m thinking something where we don’t have to line up like cattle like we did today at Ischgl.
Thanks in advance.

The Hospiz Alm enjoys a reputation for up market lunch. Mixed reputation though, extensive wine list.
latest report
@sbooker, not bothered about lunch it is a waste of skiing time! The St Anton places are much of a muchness as all run by the lift company though might be worth checking out the small spot on Kapall.

Not too far away is the Flexenhäusl https://www.lechzuers.com/de/flexenhaeusl. It is at the bottom of the Täli run just on the right as the flat bit starts by the road (also at the "European watershed", water to the north ends up in the Black Sea via the Danube, water to the south over the Flexenpass ends up in the North Sea via the Rhine). Täli is one of the best pistes in the Arlberg (hence one of the best pistes anywhere) and a must on a visit to the Arlberg. Access is via the Muggengrat chair and either the Zürserseebahn or Seekopfbahn from Zürs.
latest report
Plenty great lunch stops, how’s the snow and skiing? Anyone doing any?
latest report
@Markymark29, It was very pleasant last weekend, just some soft snow and scrapes towards the bottom. Think I chose a better weekend, this one is the start of Fasching coupled with a Föhn storm!
snow report
Still skiing, @Markymark29. Apart from yesterday, the conditions are pretty much what you would expect after 2 ½ weeks of very warm temps, double digit on some days, no real freeze at night, and occasional rain.

In the morning, up to 10 - 11am, depending on traffic, altitude, bearing, the lower slopes have a hard surface glaze. When it breaks down, it becomes sloppy mashed potatoes. Not spring corn. Not that pleasant to ski.

The upper slopes, eg Osthang, Schöngraben, and Tanzböden get worked by traffic into a consistency similar to uncooked apple crumble. This is okay to ski, but sucks a lot of energy to keep the skis behaving.

The forecast for Sunday is looking more promising in that the temps seem to be revised downwards each day.

New snow would be more than welcome, as long as the temps drop. See my review above of yesterday.
snow conditions
Snowforecast.com seems to be suggesting quite a dump the weekend of 17th/18th, I wonder if it will actually transpire?
ski holidays
A week ago they also predicted a dump this weekend which has turned into a bit of sleet at best. So don’t get your hopes up.
ski holidays
Pyramus wrote:
A week ago they also predicted a dump this weekend which has turned into a bit of sleet at best. So don’t get your hopes up.

4cm snowfall this coming Sunday.

https://www.bergfex.at/tirol/langlaufen/sankt-anton/wetter/
snow report
Snow&skifan wrote:

4cm snowfall this coming Sunday.

Joke snow Toofy Grin
ski holidays
jonm wrote:
Snowforecast.com seems to be suggesting quite a dump the weekend of 17th/18th, I wonder if it will actually transpire?

I have lost track of how many times this season they predicted a big dump a week out and then have it disappear. I wonder if they have any professionals on staff or just use a random number generator?
snow report
Hi,

We just booked a trip for March 13-17. Flying in via Zurich and flying back want to take the Arlberg Express which leaves St Anton at 0710 arriving Zurich Airport 1030. There is a flight at 1155 to LCY and 1210 to LHR on Swiss, all the luggage will be hand luggage. How reliable and on time is the Arlberg express?

We also staying on the St Jakob / St Anton line I see its about a 30 min walk into town. Should be ok as the ski bus stops right in front, but in the evenings is there any transport or taxi? Considering also renting a car to meet flight times but I don't think we would need it in St Anton?

Thank you
snow report
@pred02, its worth checking out the Railjet/OBB trains from St Anton, possibly even staying in a hotel near the airport the night before. I've frequently used hire cars from Zurich, and they are pretty straightforward and very useful once in resort especially driving to Alpe Rauz/Zurs to get ahead of the hordes from St Anton pretending to do the "Run of Fame". Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@pred02, I’d say you are cutting it fine on those flight times, not much room for error, could be OK but an accident on the roads or bad weather means delays and it’s very tight - personally I’d stay at Zurich airport evening before at Rad Blu and catch the train out of StA evening after skiing.

Plenty buses StJ into StA no2 ski bus on top road or others on bottom road. No car required imv, use bus to Rauz if you prefer not to ski.
ski holidays
We've used the Arlberg Express on a number of times and found it always on time and usually arrives at Zurich Airport ahead of schedule. The only problem we've ever had is due to heavy snow and that would have caused a delay whatever means of transport you use.

Personally I think you will be OK with hand luggage only, assuming you will have checked in prior to your arrival at the airport. It probably depends on your aversion to risk!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markymark29 wrote:
stay at Zurich airport evening before at Rad Blu and catch the train out of StA.

Love the Wine Tower and acrobatic dollies in tutus doing their stuff.

The above is such great advice from someone in the know. There are other very decent hotels just around the corner from the hotel at much less than the Radisson, but nowhere near as close to check-in at Zurich Airport.
snow conditions
@pred02, Your coming to St Aton to ski/board for 3 days ..

You have what looks like an expensive flexible (LHR or LCY) Swiss ticket ..

Staying Cheap in St Jakob

Your trying to book an extremely tight connecting schedule ...

Why not ditch or the return and relax with a direct flight from Innsbruck to LHR (they exist) or another London Airport.

There are also more relaxing train services leaving St. Anton. March 16 evening (changes in Zurich & Paris) arriving in London on Sunday....

There is also an overnight Flixbus from Zurich to London for approx €55

St Jakob (Church) you can walk to St Anton Dorfstrasse in 20mins .

There is a nightbus runs every hour from 19:00 costs €3.50 CASH ONLY.

Taxis will charge you €20 (min) fixed for a 1.7km ride from Terminal Ost or 2.7km from Terminal West .

The ride takes less than 5mins.

The most expensive Taxis in Europe .

Sounds like your wealthy ...

Dont Forget to TIP your barstaff,waiters even the Nightbus driver he may let you ride free the following night..
ski holidays
@pred02, train wise, there is the OBB NightJet service from St. A to Zurich hbf, departing 0610ish arrives in Zurich hbf some 3 hours later. That will give you time for the flights. I have used it several times and enabled me to get flights at similar times.
If there is heavy snow, there is more chance the train will get through.
latest report
@pred02, Unlike the other profits of doom here I think you will be fine, an hour is more than enough time to arrive at an airport with hand baggage. the passport queues at Zürich are small to non existent (unlike at say Amsterdam). The trains are pretty reliable though I had a 40 minute delay last weekend. There are plenty more flights if you miss the two you mention, much better to fly to LCY, Heathrow is unpleasant.

St Jakob is not the most ideal spot to stay, no issue with the ski bus during the day but limited in the evenings, There is not much to do in St Jakob itself in the evenings it is either the night bus (not many of them) or a taxi (plenty of those).
latest report
pred02 wrote:
Hi,

We just booked a trip for March 13-17. Flying in via Zurich and flying back want to take the Arlberg Express which leaves St Anton at 0710 arriving Zurich Airport 1030. There is a flight at 1155 to LCY and 1210 to LHR on Swiss, all the luggage will be hand luggage. How reliable and on time is the Arlberg express?

We also staying on the St Jakob / St Anton line I see its about a 30 min walk into town. Should be ok as the ski bus stops right in front, but in the evenings is there any transport or taxi? Considering also renting a car to meet flight times but I don't think we would need it in St Anton?

Thank you

Ive used the Arlberg Express numerous times in recent years and I think it's the most reliable service I've ever come across, regardless of the weather. If they can go they go 100%

Discovering this service has taken away all the stress of getting to the Arlberg for me. No more local Easyjet flight to Innsbruck only to find they can't land and be diverted to Munich or Salzburg. LHR to ZUR , Arlberg Express gets you there and back without any stress and what's more ZUR is a brilliant airport designed for passengers.
latest report
pred02 wrote:
Hi,

Thank you

Ive used the Arlberg Express numerous times in recent years and I think it's the most reliable service I've ever come across, regardless of the weather. If they can go they go 100%

Discovering this service has taken away all the stress of getting to the Arlberg for me. No more local Easyjet flight to Innsbruck only to find they can't land and be diverted to Munich or Salzburg. LHR to ZUR , Arlberg Express gets you there and back without any stress and what's more ZUR is a brilliant airport designed for passengers.
snow conditions
@Alan1974, train from ZRH is also almost always reliable and stress free. A short connection to the HBf, right from the airport (across the covered road from Arrivals, and then ~2:30hr train ride to St Anton. If you are staying in Zürs or Lech, it is possible that the Arlberg Express may work better, but hard to beat SBB/ÖBB for StA.
ski holidays
ulmerhutte wrote:
@Alan1974, train from ZRH is also almost always reliable and stress free. A short connection to the HBf, right from the airport (across the covered road from Arrivals, and then ~2:30hr train ride to St Anton. If you are staying in Zürs or Lech, it is possible that the Arlberg Express may work better, but hard to beat SBB/ÖBB for StA.

rolling eyes By taxi, it is 23 minutes from St.Anton-station to any Lech hotel front door

munich_irish wrote:
The trains are pretty reliable though I had a 40 minute delay last weekend.

rolling eyes Greatest advice ever written for someone on a tight schedule to catch a flight....

Statler & Waldorf striking again
snow conditions
Just started snowing lightly in Nasserein, but Galzig base temp is still 1.1C. In the negatives on the mountain, but does not look like significant accumulation yet.

Very quiet on the slopes yesterday, and some very enjoyable skiing up high. The former is likely to change today, given the number of people lining up at the ticket windows and walking out of Jennewein & Alber with hire gear.
latest report
Thanks all for your advice. We booked at St. Jakob as it was the only place within reasonable budget (like not 3000 euro for 4 days) given we booked so late in the season. We choose Zurich to fly because my friend is flying in from the US, it's a mini-reunion guys ski trip weekend, we both have families with little children so was touch and go getting permission to get away.

On arrival we will take the train, but on Sunday there is no direct train to airport have to switch. I'm trying to time my London return to my friend - the flights are similar price range regardless if its EZY or Swiss, I choose Swiss because can take carry on (have to pay for larger carry on EZY these days). They are about 130 GBP return.

I think I'll book the 1155 worst case scenario if there is delay I have travel insurance and one-way tickets run for about 100 GBP so not the end of the world. Thanks all
snow report
Have just come in for lunch. Maybe I will go out again, but likely not.

The first ½ hour was fun. 5cm of fresh on ice - ego skiing. It is now a poo-show. The fresh has been scraped into piles of slush, with blue ice in between. Deeper slush lower down, eg below the Z’bahn load.

Very, very crowded, many with first-day bambi legs, struggling to deal with the conditions. People randomly spearing off in unexpected directions, scrabbling to find grip.

A little bit after 9am, a person was being loaded onto a stretcher at the bottom of the off-ramp from Gampen restaurant. First run for the holiday? Sad

There are a surprising number of young Russian guys in town. Escaped/escaping military service?

@pred02, you should get seat reservations. Cheap - €6, if I remember correctly, and saves grief if the service is crowded. I have heard of trains going east directly from ZRH, but I have never come across one in my timetable searches. We have always changed at the HBf. No big deal.
snow report
Will make the seat reservation on the train thanks for the info.

Is it possible to rent a ski locker at Nasserein?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy