Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2008 / 2009

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Hope all the half termers leave some good snow

The French half termers, including the Parisians, will still be there, of course. Sad But it sounds as though overall numbers might be down a bit Little Angel
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Possibly the brit invasion will be today and the pistes packed out tomo.

My thoughts are the same and I hope they leave some snow for us whho arrive next weekend.

Does anyone know of private lessons in Arc 1950 or 2000?
I want to arrnage a couple of hours for the oh next monday as she prefers the one to one action!!!! rolling eyes
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dontlikeheights, Spirit 1950 in Arc 1950 has a good reputation. For peak season I think it is sensible to pre-book lessons.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah that is what I was thinking.
Have just been looking on web for some prices.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dontlikeheights, If you want the name and contact details of a really good instructor in Arc 2000 PM me.

Today was not as bad as I had expected either, but there are more people than last week. Took a while to get up Varet in the afternoon and Vagere was a pian as Jayne said. But then with blue sky, good snow and little wind I cannot complain to much. Still found some nice untracked powder (yes it really was still powder), off the back of Aiguille Grive down to Nancroix and did not see another person all morning as we skied down. Did a few routes down into Arc 2000, with good snow later in the day but they were well tracked. Malgovert was fun as always and with the Deux Tetes tow working it ment that you can still easily get back up and over to the snow park.

Look forward to seeing some more new faces next week.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowcrazy wrote:
... off the back of Aiguille Grive down to Nancroix
Did you hike up to the top, or drop in from Col de Chal?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowcrazy, That sounds lovely - we've walked it in the summer Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, bit of both, hiked some and then travese and all the way down the back. Trouble is it was hard on the knees so had to have an easy day today.

Today was good conditions again. Much the same as yesterday with Blue sky, great snow and light wind.

For anyone planning to take part in the Robert Blanc Derby Race in les Arcs on Wed, I have just heard they have changed the course, when i know the details i will post them.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Test your French

DERBY ROBERT BLANC :
Grande fête de la glisse, ouverte à tous (adultes et enfants, 14 catégories)
Compétition pro ou amateurs.
Départ du bas de l’Aiguille Rouge
Arrivée à Arc 1950.
Apéritif et buffet et remise des prix à Arc 1950
Très beaux lots tirés au sort.
Inscriptions 10E dans les Offices de Tourisme avant 18h la veille (17/02), ou 15E sur place avant 16h30.

The route is much easier now, to short me thinks, but still fun.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowcrazy, I sent a PM to you regarding the ski instructor
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another great day in the snow. Fresh snow on the mountain today ment good conditions on and off piste. With good vis most of the time going between pistes and in the off piste valley of comborciere, it was possible to make fresh tracks but by the afternoon most places were tracked out although the snow was still good. Above Arc 1600 and under the Varet were also fun but tracked.

Despite earlier posts, it is busy. Today you new it was a high season week. By the afternoon there were queues on most lifts we went to and with the race now on AR getting up the cable car took some time.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Been busy the last few weeks and may already be here but anyone spotted the new webcam?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thefatcontroller wrote:
Been busy the last few weeks and may already be here but anyone spotted the new webcam?

Where is it? Geographically or URL??
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ringingmaster, It is not really a new one, just an old one that they have got working again. But at least it works most of the time now so it is very handy. At the top of the Arcabulle lift. Go to the Les Arcs webcam page for the link.

http://www.lesarcs.com/Webcam-Arpette-GB-2420m.html

Very quiet on here while I have been busy. My visitors on the way home, long drive. Start again tomorrow.

Conditions much the same over the past few days, some good snow around the resort, on piste hard packed but plenty of it going into stations. Higher up in good condition but starting to get a few icy patches with all the traffic. Off piste very tracked unless you want to walk, or in a few secret spots. But the snow off piste has held up well with the cold temps and plenty of fun to be had even if it is tracked as it will not hurt to much if you fall in the soft stuff when trying those off piste turns.

Hope all those leaving have a good trip home and all those arriving have an easy journey out.

Anyone wants to meet for a beer I can be found at the Altiport near the snow park most days around 4.30pm before the lifts close. Or post here.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Why I have been to busy to post. Enjoy.

Toofy Grin Far from the madding crowds of Les Arcs Toofy Grin

Very Happy Big Air in Les Arcs Very Happy

snowHead Bellcote on a perfect day. snowHead

Laughing What a birthday present, even at 12 you can find fresh tracks Laughing

snow report
snowcrazy, Where is the top photo taken, looks quiet and amazing Evil or Very Mad Laughing

Think that web cam is actually new, the old one at Transarc was actually on Tranarcs and looking over at the Aracubelle lift (sad I can remember this rolling eyes ). Its a good camera view.
snow report
Not much else to add to snowcrazy's post - since thursday been bright and sunny until today, pistes were softening in places - e.g. the bumps were soft on things like refuge (black off gd. col) rather than solid and icy. today it's been snowing lightly but not really sticking at 1650 and was faling as rain upto about 2300 at times. Some of the runs have been suffering due to the amount of traffic - for the first time this season there was a sign out on bellette of 'stones' which was pretty surprising, and yes there were some stones on the first steeper pitch, so it was definitely a run to dodge them.

Most of the rest of the on-piste holding up well, but the place is busy..doesn't feel less busy than last week despite a few of the parisians having gone home...
ski holidays
snowcrazy, bottom photo looks pretty nice too - surely thay wasn't recent...all the fresh lines must have gone by now?!

Just wanted to say thanks for all the updates guys, and keep 'em coming - we're out to Les Arcs next weekend, and it's useful having an idea what the pistes are like before packing Smile
latest report
ChrisWo, The bottom two photos were last Thursday. Only a few days ago. They were all our lines, it was untracked before we did it. The rest of the face was to big to get in the shot and have the kid in the photo. It is about 500m long in total. All fresh untracked powder, very nice. It snowed again today so should be more fresh tracks to be had tomorrow if the weather is good. Hope so. Toofy Grin

thefatcontroller, Sorry sir, this is one of those places that I keep to myself, i am sure you will understand, but guesses are welcome. Twisted Evil It was taken on Wednesday last week but I bet there are still only a few tracks there now. (and you do not need to walk to get to it, well very little) Laughing

Today, yuk Very Happy, not really, we found some great untracked powder, hope Arno posts the pics. Then I missed the turn in the forest and we had a mini expedition to get back to the piste Toofy Grin but I thought it was worth it. Twisted Evil hope the others did as well. If you like steep off piste tree skiing Villaroger is a great area BUT mind out for the cliffs. Skullie

It was snowing most of the day, but only lightly. Most pistes we did still seemed good but we did not do many today. In the morning while it was colder the snow stayed light and fluffy but as the day went on it did start getting a little heavy. Great on my board but not so much fun for those on skis.

bertie bassett, when are you going to come out on that board with us, will be over your way some of this week. let's meet up.
ski holidays
snowcrazy wrote:
thefatcontroller, Sorry sir, this is one of those places that I keep to myself, i am sure you will understand, but guesses are welcome. Twisted Evil

That's a tricky one for me. Grand Col-Nancroix, or perhaps off the back of the Grand Col?
snow conditions
rob@rar, nope wrong place. Sorry no clues this time. But might take you down it next time you are out if you like.
snow conditions
snowcrazy, yeah that would be good. 10th March I think, so I'll PM you before then. I have a mountain safety course the following week so a bit of off-piste work would be helpful.
snow report
So who went up today. I had a day off so anyone feel like posting what it was really like. From what I saw on the web cams and have just been told in the bar it was not very good. Very poor vis at times and the new snow made little difference as there was not enough of it on the well tracked areas or busy pistes. At least that is what those in the bar have just told me.

rob@rar, Sorry Rob busy that week, are you back out later in March or April. Have a good course. Will be interested to hear what they cover on this one.
snow conditions
Monday was pretty good actually..

the vis wasn't great and it was incredibly busy - lift lines out the gates and more... some people reckoned it was more busy that english 1/2 term week.

Did some bits around peisey for the first couple of hours, then went with the squirrel guys upto the top of arcabule with a view to doing the boarder cross - but the vis was terrible. At times on the gd renard I wasn't convinced I was on the right run. Later on that day, managed to get lost trying to get to the arpette from the top of the vagere - sign of how bad the vis was.

Tuesday - better vis. Snow conditions still very good on most runs..but so many idiots on the piste - if I had 1 euro for every person standing in the middle of the piste, I'd be able to pay for my season pass in one go..
snow conditions
No change today, was sunnier than tuesday, pistes holding up well despite the ridiculous number of people on the pistes and not filling up the chairs.....grrr
snow report
Wow is it busy Twisted Evil People everywhere, almost had a nasty one today, who says the pistes are safe. Pistes hard packed but getting softer as the day goes on. Off piste tracked everywhere unless you want to walk or skin as some are now doing but the snow is still ok due to the cold temps. Snow shoes also help if you have a board, but 30 min hike for a few turns in untracked snow, oh well. Roll on the quiet times again soon. I HOPE Toofy Grin Not much fresh snow forcast yet but maybe by the weekend we will see a little change. But then, the blue sky and sun is nice and you can always have plenty of coffee stops. Also there is a very good base and even with all the people in resort right now not many worn patches coming through yet, so with only another week of school hols to go, it could be a lot worse. Oh yes, and they have just dug out the waterslide Very Happy Very Happy Skullie
ski holidays
snowcrazy, LOL! Must do the waterslide this season, as I learnt to waterski last summer, shouldn't be a problem!
ski holidays
Quote:

there is a very good base

Good. The news sounds a bit alarming, otherwise, for those of us that aren't coming out until the 14th.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lots of snow due at the end of next week Toofy Grin & we get there on the 6th snowHead
latest report
bertie bassett wrote:
No change today, was sunnier than tuesday, pistes holding up well despite the ridiculous number of people on the pistes and not filling up the chairs.....grrr

So our record for least filled chairs was yesterday around 10:30 on arcabule (6 seater) - we pushed to fill slots but still the succession of chairs was 4,2,3,2,2,2,4 - FFS why don't the lifties do more to get the frenchies (for it's generally them) to fill it.

No need for chains for anyone driving into resort tonight tomorrow - more like sunscreen and sunglasses!! It's so warm that I had lunch on my balcony in boardies and t-shirt, being off games due to breaking myself a little yesterday...
snow conditions
allanm, you better bring your wet suit just in case Toofy Grin

Another fun day at play in the snow. Lazy today and did not go up till late but I am so pleased I did. Met up with a friend of bertie bassett (hope you get well soon Bertie) and a friend of mine and skied around the Arc 1600 off piste areas with know queues. The good base from the recent snow falls has allowed the pistes to stand up well to the busy high season traffic and carving around, playing in the parks or borders cross courses is really fun. Did you all know there are now three border cross courses in the area plus the soon to be filled waterslide. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

The off piste today was well tracked but the snow is still in good condition and the cold temps have kept the snow light and the slightly warmer temps yesterday and today have taken that hard finish off and made it really fun to ski off piste. Some places are starting to slide so you need to take care. There are some very nice lines down some places Twisted Evil and we are in for another crazy weekend if the sunshine continues. You can even find untracked fresh snow still if you are willing to hike. Most of the crowds are sticking to the traditional routes with the guides.

Anyone coming out is in for a treat as there is more snow forcast soon to really give some great conditions if the wind does not come as well!! Laughing
snow conditions
Wow!

Super Warm today - skid in just a base layer / shell jacket and pants. Avy risk of 2 but 3 on slopes below 2300 in the pm - that's the first time I've seen that on a avy forecast.

Snow started getting really soft come 2pm - the gd. renard between the transarc / gd. renard lift was super bumpy where the snow had slid down off the slope above it and lumped. Other signs of slides above the varet and the sunny facing slopes between the derby and the grizzly.

In places definitely starting to be patchy - the 'off-piste' above the vanoise between the Vanoise hotel and the tree is super patchy, for example. However big dump forecast for later in the week so would be nice to get that top up...
latest report
Another fun day in the back country. Getting on the early lifts ment we were at the top of the grand col by10am. The snow going down the back was firm but easy to ski and on the way across the flatter sections the snow conditions changed from firm snow, to smooth base just holding up so that you did not break through, to soft easy to turn in snow on a firm base. Even the large moguls at the end were quite fun to find a route through. On the way down I had a chance to look at the various other routes off the top of AR. Some had started to slide so better to keep away from them until the temp drops again and new snow comes.

After lunch a nice trip on easy to turn in (for my board) soft snow all the way down the Col du Chal route to the bus stop. The track out waas fun as it had some well banked turns to tear round. Also some slides on some of the higher faces so care needs to be taken even on this easy route.

Tomorrow they say the weather will change bringing rain/snow by late afternoon. Right now the sky is still clear.
ski holidays
Hmm, the warm weather is really ripping up the pistes hard in lower places. The run down to the vanoise is really patchy in places, and even higher up there are many runs that are showing earth and stones - even aradelieres and the top of belvedere is patchy in places. Vis today was strange, at times the 2000 bowl was better, then come about 12:30 it got worse on that side of the mountain...

Really Really need some new snow, but there is some forecast!!
snow report
Stop with the doom and gloom comments - I'm back to Vallandry 4 April and want some snow to ski on please. Accept it may be a bit icy/slushy in places

Come back when you can give great news on a massive dump which will see the base last through to June
ski holidays
Boris, Sorry but have to agree with bertie bassett, In fact today as my friend left for work, I waved goodbye and went back to bed. Vis not much good and must have been wet as it was raining in the valley. But good news. Just had a call to tell me it is snowing in Arc 2000 right now, but only a very little. More like English sleet I guess.

BUT they do say a bigger dump is due later in the week.
snow conditions
To make you feel better whilst the weather is not so good, here are two routes you can always try in the sunshine (with a Guide is best). Did them on Saturday.

Grand Col

Col du Chal
ski holidays
We will wait and see - I'm skiing all week with the kids so will mainly be pottering about above Vallandry and having funs more than serious skiing
snow conditions
Well draw your own conclusions - this was today around 2:30pm taken of the snow under the peisey lift about 50m up from the bottom, so about 1650 ish high..

And yes todays word was "Rubbish" - ok so I was only out for the arvo but it was really yucky, yucky, yucky - even coming of the varet lift you were water splashing rather than walking on snow. Ariandelieres was pretty chopped up and squigy which combined with flat light made it pretty foul. The narrow 'cat-track' run down to the varet that runs down alongisde the stream from below the Arcabule was showing grass in a significant number of places..

Still forecast to get a lot colder come Wednesday night and then c. 40 cm of snow between then and Sunday - bring it on!
snow report
bertie bassett, It'll get worse than that before the season closes. Thats just off the main piste though, isnt it. They usually manage to keep the main piste covered, if a little porridge like (thinking last season Skullie )
We get there Fri evening - what time does the lift open this week?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy