Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2022/2023 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
pam w wrote:
Did the stuff that fell in such warm conditions qualify to be called "powder"?

Have seen some video of some very nice snow high up - probably all above 1900m or so, but yes, looked pretty powdery to me.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@pam w, nope. Not powdery in the slightest.

@thatguycalled, I suspect just too heavy for them to piste it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
andy from embsay wrote:
pam w wrote:
Did the stuff that fell in such warm conditions qualify to be called "powder"?

Have seen some video of some very nice snow high up - probably all above 1900m or so, but yes, looked pretty powdery to me.

Yesterday there was powder in the morning but it turned around lunchtime as the Foehn blew in. Last night it rained to 2300m and will be heavy up to 2800m.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And now I just read on the LG website that one of the gondolas is open for mountain biking and pedestrians.
What an awful start to the season.
Not wanting to start an argument but I do wonder is it time to go high from now on.
For someone who gets 10-15 days on snow per year, you really do want to have some sort of better odds placed.
Especially with the cost in both money and time.
Fingers crossed something happens in the next week or so.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BobinCH, 2,300? makes sense from what I can see, ta.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@elefantfresh, it’s Christmas/New Year week - it’s a risk any year. As you can see from the charts posted over the last day or two PdS is often short of snow at the start of the season - but by the end it’s generally above average. So absolutely - if you’re going to ski early in the season then go high, but after the end of Jan or so your odds are probably as good anywhere.

Personally I’ll never go xmas/NY week regardless of snowfall, as it’s just so busy and we did the queueing thing when the kids were at school. However I’ll be booking my opening weekend flights as soon as they’re released for Dec 23, but won’t be terribly surprised if there’s not much snow. Must try and avoid the flippin’ ski test weekend though!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyway @elefantfresh - look!

latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
polo wrote:
Looks like LG is closed until further notice, the current warmth probably prevents them even attempting to scrape up snow onto a few pistes, with no overnight freeze until next weekend.

Going by the opening statuses and webcams I don't think they're quite at that stage yet, though it does look pretty bad and that's at 10am when pistes always look their best. Still a few runs open.

However it's clear that many of the open pistes in Les Gets have some very dodgy looking areas and it won't take much melting for them to close too.

Morzine looks worse with essentially three runs open (Piste B, Bellemouille, Lievre). Pleney is also now cut off from the rest of the ski area with no pistes open to get out of that sector.

Three very warm days to get through and then it may be cool enough to run snow cannons more extensively overnight.

By the way - did anyone hear back about whether PdS lift passes might be refundable?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 31-12-22 10:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Are there any resorts within driving distance from PdS that so have decent snow ?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gavman99 wrote:
Are there any resorts within driving distance from PdS that so have decent snow ?

Depends what you mean by driving distance? Cham is about an hour - I imagine there’s bits of Grands Montets that are ok. Verbier is around 2-2.5hrs I think?

But all the normal “day trips” are suffering the same if not worse. Colder from midweek and hopefully much better conditions in 10-14 days though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, 2400m FL as forecast 5 pages ago, and reiterated by definella later, it shouldn’t have surprised anyone as it’s been steady for about a week. Uncanny how good the models are at forecasting rain to high levels as opposed to finding low level snowlines.

Mentioned before but models are always better at default patterns, ie more accurate when weather aligns with historical norms, which means high pressure over europe and strong Atlantic westerly flow. The models always struggle much more with unusual patterns such as blocking over scandi / greenland, or deep cold anomalies.

Anyway on the same post I mentioned 8-10th as the most likely timeframe for a better pattern to emerge. This is still the case, nothing has really changed, GFS keen to bring in colder flow a little earlier than others, but looking across all the models you’d still expect a slow evolution from mild westerly flow to colder polar maritime NW flow by the 10th.

And to reiterate yesterday’s extended outlook, there is still evidence that the potential good spell would last several days out towards the 15th. Again GFS is the most progressive (deeper lows), while other models are more conservative. Too soon to say which part of the alps will benefit but northern side most likely as things stand.

About all we can be sure of is that the frustrating pattern to date of east Atlantic lows driving up warm air is coming to an end, and we will have much better odds of decent snow as soon as next weekend.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@gavman99, Chamonix: Brevent is partially open. Flégere more so. Liaison isn't (not sure if that's due avvy risk). Le Tour is but not Vallorcine side. Grands Montets also running although not all slopes open and not Lavancher (Pendant).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name, open is different to decent snow?…..I suppose it’s relative, one man’s decent is another man’s despair
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
polo wrote:

About all we can be sure of is that the frustrating pattern to date of east Atlantic lows driving up warm air is coming to an end, and we will have much better odds of decent snow as soon as next weekend.

That’ll do for me!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
polo wrote:
@under a new name, open is different to decent snow?…..I suppose it’s relative, one man’s decent is another man’s despair

Good point - we’ve had friends using our place this week and they’ve had a great time. Some frustrating queues, but a bit of decent skiing, a brilliant lesson and they’ve been on holiday eating nice food and drinking nice wine.
snow report
@denfinella, You are right, I took one look at webcams and must have been a slow start as lifts weren’t moving……don’t think the pisteurs are bothering to repair much, too soft
snow conditions
@andy from embsay, Thanks Andy - a beacon of hope, so you are!
Theres great info in this forum so a big thank you to everyone.
latest report
Quote:

Les Saisies has 23/29 lifts open. Quite a lot of pistes open, including liaison to Notre Dame de Bellecombe. But a lot of the steeper pistes closed due to "faible enneigement". This webcam is at resort level (1650). It looks dismal, really, but not as bad as some! Les Saisies generally has about the best snow around in the sub 2000m class!
ski holidays
https://en.lessaisies.com/webcam-french-ski-resort-savoie-mont-blanc-alps.html

This webcam is at resort level. Pistes white (or perhaps greyish).
latest report
@polo, quite. We haven’t even bothered venturing out, mostly as I have had a steenking chest infection (currently on 1,000mg of amoxycillin 3x day Eh oh! ), it’s been rammed, and, well, snow.
snow conditions
Snowmaggedon monday week on latest GFS, get your essential equipment ready, snow shovel, avi packs, snorkels and gopros.

snow conditions
@polo, that would be most welcome (obvs)
ski holidays
@under a new name, I should write a long list of caveats about GFS, single run…..but it’s the pattern we’ve been waiting for since last April…..just need it to hold steady for a few days and get the others to join in….even though it’s the week after next odds are sneaking above 50/50 for a proper dump
snow report
The webcams around Morzine just now make bleaking viewing. Mud, grass and the ‘village’ centre has the bleakness of a wet October day. Their own website is showing +13c!
snow conditions
polo wrote:
Snowmaggedon monday week on latest GFS, get your essential equipment ready, snow shovel, avi packs, snorkels and gopros.

that looks positive. Fingers crossed it stays that way.
snow report
@polo, well, it's better than a blocking high innit?
ski holidays
I wonder what the record is for a resort moving from having lifts closed because too little snow, to having them closed because of too much snow?
snow report
14c at lunchtime at Plaine Dranse, no sun!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, PdS always good for providing entertainment, drama and records so fingers crossed

@under a new name, blocking highs come in many different guises....a classic high lattitude block would be near arctic, certainly greenland / scandi, which forces deep cold into mid lattitudes. With favorable pressure alignment that can lead to incredible powdery snow further south than normal. A scandi high that doesn't get far enough north will generally just bring in dry cold air from the east, so not much good to us in the barren west.

Above chart is also a blocked pattern, although low lattitude (doesn't reach greenland), as it stops the westerly atlantic enslaught of mild air and forces the jet up and over the mid atlantic ridge so it has to dive SE into alps with much colder air wrapped in from the north
ski holidays
@polo, I'm thinking of the all too typical one that moves in just after new year and keeps it cold but dry until the vacances scolaires ... ok you can run the cannons but ...

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 31-12-22 14:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Matt1959 wrote:
14c at lunchtime at Plaine Dranse, no sun!

A record for NY Eve?
snow conditions
@under a new name, as yes, the euro limpit slug of doom....not necessarily cold, but dry....a block is just a large area of high pressure that keeps the weather dry, but if they set up camp north enough you get cold air advection (CAA) down the eastern flank. And if they set up to our west....boom, we're on the cold snowy side
snow report
@polo, Interesting re CAA. Hmmm ...I'm sure I've seen that happen.
snow conditions
Son had a great morning up below Mossettes, finally deep and soft enough to build a mogul line and jump. Not sure why people are worried about Morzine, there’s slopes open for beginners and at NY it’s always better in Avoriaz anyway. Conditions in Avoriaz are still ok and you can ski down to Ardent or Prodains, the later being more fun at the moment than I can ever remember it.
ski holidays
Was a good example on ECM that came to nothing last week.....(as westerly momemtum was too strong)

High block forecast to reach into scandi

CAA around the eastern flank of the high block, heading back west under the high into alps....cold and dry NW, but might have been good for southern alps
ski holidays
Apologies for non-weather PDS question - I asked in the Trip Report section and didn’t get anything conclusive.

Decent ski service in Morzine / Montriond / Les Gets? I want somewhere that will do base and edge angles properly rather than just rattle them over a coarse stone too many times then wave an iron near them (speaking as ex-ski tech Laughing )
ski holidays
Avoriaz and Champery currently topping the Wepowder leaderboard for snow forecast over the next few days Laughing

(8cm at the top, if you're wondering...)
ski holidays
@denfinella, but the neck end of a metre next week if things develop as hoped.
latest report
@andy from embsay, yes, hopefully! Very Happy
snow report
Stop teasing me!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy