Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Snow

Poster: A snowHead
roga wrote:

In the meantime was just looking at the following site and was mightily impressed by the quality of the information and the arguments put: www.savetheciste.com

Yes - and it would be helpful if anyone who hasn't yet signed the petition could do so and get their friends to. Some of the best skiing on Cairngorm (to say nothing of morning lift Qs) will be gone forever if something isn't done soon. Sad
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A fine days sliding on CairnGorm Mountain despite of the gusty winds which resulted in just the M1 Poma for access to the top late in the afternoon, Glencoe staff day out it was that good! The wind limited uplift, but not the terrain, no lifts were turning in Coire na Ciste and the DLP was also off, so despite just the Carpark Tow, Fiacaill Ridge Poma, Cas and M1 Poma all but the top 200ft of the Ptarmigan Bowl was accessible via the cas side tows and the Shuttle Bus.

Pick of the day was the Ciste Gully, from the Ptarmigan Bowl to the Carpark, over 2 miles of sweet granular snow. Slightly surreal passing the "Area Open" signs in the Top Basin with every lift idle...

^Looking up Coire Cas from the foot of the T-bar.

^View over Coire Cas to the White Lady from the top of the Fiacaill Ridge Poma.

^Approaching the foot of the Ciste Chairlift and the lower carpark after an 1800ft of vertical in the Ciste Gully.

More: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=621
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
out of interest, what's happened to the 'bumps' on the white lady, do they bash them nowadays compared to years ago, or is it my memory Wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scotland sounds very warm today.

How are things looking at the 5 centers?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski wrote:
out of interest, what's happened to the 'bumps' on the white lady, do they bash them nowadays compared to years ago, or is it my memory Wink

There have been some bumps this year, but they've not yet amounted to much. Partly piste basher traffic going to and form digging out the Funicular at various times, partly the sheer extent of snow cover spreading people out all over the mountain, thus there's not really been enough planks on the Lady to get major bumps forming, also the really big bumps were something I always associated with with later in the season and when your confined to the narrower space of the natural snow field. Occasionally you can end up with a very narrow snow field literraly only a couple of bumps wide in the bed of the burn on the Lady at the end of the Season, it's an absolute hoot with mountainous bumps, but I guess not to those who are seeking a pisted motorway! Something like:

o o
O
o o
O
o o

lol:

People were still lapping Coire Laogh Beag on Wednesday, though I appear to have missed the boat on Laogh Beag -> Lochan na Beinne -> Glenmore route I didn't do late Feb because of avalanche risk. Funicular and Shuttle Bus were running this morning (only uplift on), but the funicular went off about lunchtime and it was too windy for even the Daylodge Poma so that was the end of sliding for the day.

It's very mild, in the West more so Wet and very windy. There will be a loss of base depth and some loss of general cover on exposed open hill-sides (lower down and on East aspects that were windward to the main storms of the season thus have less cover) but for now no major impact on extent of skiable terrain in the East, overall the Lecht and CairnGorm having the most consistent quality of cover on the runs, but apart from S & E aspects (Cairnwell Race Tracks and Butchart's Access - in contrast to Carn Aosda which still loaded) Glenshee's still looking good.

Some bottom fenced runs in the West that never accumulated that much depth are suffering, but upper half of Nevis and Glencoe still looking good, ample snow for returning to the top of the respective access lifts and still good cover on Yokies and Allt Sneachda to the foot of the ski area at Nevis.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice day under part cloudy skies with some good sunny spells and mostly good light giving some great riding still on CairnGorm Mountain on Sunday. Picks of the day were the East Lady, East Wall and Coronation Wall. Laogh Mor Return still complete offering a 3mile / 2000ft vertical run for those looking for something off-piste but less steep (though plenty steep enough if you head further East to the headwall of Laogh Mor). Photos will follow.... sometime, Winterhighland Database server has gone kaboom... Shock
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Winterhighland, Temps seem to be rising rapidly. Do you think easiski's May bank holiday suggestion will still hold ?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some pix from CairnGorm as promised:

^Looking up the Ciste Gully from the car park level at 1800ft.

^High on the East Wall, extensive cover far beyond the usual East Wall Gullies. Fantastic crunchy spring snow on Sunday.

^Looking over Coire Cas from the East Lady, pick of the afternoon, super smooth soft snow to lay out big carves on.

^Life at the top, well top of the Ptarmigan T-bar about to Traverse out to the East Wall.

Full reports and more photos: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=625

halfhand, am slightly scared of tempting fate after last week, but you would hope in spring there would not be to many shots at 100mph+ SW'ly storms. The fact is there's still a very impressive amount and depth of snow on a lot of the mountain, and it would be very rare for there not to be more snow yet. It would still take something pretty exceptional to bring this season to an early close, though there will be freeze/thaw cycling through this week to keep the emotional roller coaster going.

The top of the Ptarmigan T-bar in the above photo has a five foot fence at the side of the uptrack, below which there is a 2-3ft trench for the tow track, so that's 7ft to the top of the fence of which there is no sight.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm considering Cairngorm on wednesday but struggling to get consistent weather reports with some saying the wind will be up at 50mph with others saying as low as 10mph

I'm not bothered if the visiblity is crap just want to get some snow time Very Happy
It'll be the first time i've skied Cairngorm mind you so would be nice to see what i'm skiing Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
1873Chris, keep an eye on the MWIS forecast, it has been pretty reliable so far this season for me.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers arv i have been a using it all season but usually the rest are pretty similar but for some reason nobody agrees
Hopefully they will all agree by Tuesday night

Having never skied Cairngorm before what runs should i make sure i don't miss?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Having never skied Cairngorm before what runs should i make sure i don't miss?

Any half decent skier would normally cover the whole mountain in a day - but the snow cover is currently so extensive that it's just about ski where you like, which makes the ski area seem about double normal size Very Happy .

We were there yesterday - first time this season. Snow depths are generally amazing & a mix of machine and skier pisted snow, plus lovely smooth spring snow once things soften up. There were quite a few areas that put me in mind of glacier sklopes - ie just a massive expanse of lovely snow.

Snow was hard first thing but once it softened the pick of the day for us (ie in the main area) was the east face of the White Lady - ski anywhere high skiers left as you look up the defunct White Lady ski tow. The area below the Fiacaill Traverse is also good fun, as is a general blast from the top of the funicular down to the West Wall and Ciste tows.

At the end of the day we skied down to the Coire na Ciste car park via an amazing off piste run which has a very steep corrie wall to drop into half way down. I'd only recommend it in very good visibility though. To get to it: from the top of the Ptarmigan area, head down bearing diagonally right (ie NOT down the obvious gully run, but high up, across its right shoulder); stay fairly high and remove skis to cross the short boulder field where the snow has disappeared; more traversing then bear left over the brow of the hill, down the obvious steep corrie; head diagonally left at the bottom towards the snow fences to emerge just below the Coire na Ciste car park.

There is usually a (free) shuttle bus which runs every half hour (quarter to and quarterpast) between the Coire na Ciste and Coire Cas car parks - so it may be worth parking at the Ciste car park - which is the first one you come to when driving up the hill.

The other thing we did was to hike to the top of Cairngorm from the top of the Ptarmigan tow, which took about 20 mins. Foggy when we got there - but we hear that the views are great rolling eyes. Interesting (ie frozen rutted) snow on the descent back to the ski area.

Despite the car parks being busy, there was minimal queuing yesterday (Sunday) - so you will find it very quiet midweek.

It's a fantastic ski area - especially at the moment. I do hope that the weather is kind to you. Enjoy Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A few inches of fresh snow at most levels in the Western Areas overnight freshening things up at Nevis and Glencoe. Still a bit windy today, but all areas open and though uplift limited to the Funicular and a couple of lower tows the whole Cas Side is open today and reasonable overhead. Lighter winds, but a bit showery at times over the next few days seems to be the theme, detail day to day proving a tad tricky to nail down on the weather front just now!

Still good riding for all ability levels with the full on mountain vertical on offer at the five areas and when the Shuttle Bus is running still 2000ft vert at CairnGorm (Was sent home yesterday when no skiing in the morning).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Winterhighland wrote:
Still a bit windy today

Understatement of the week! It was blowing a hoolie at the top by early afternoon in a pretty unpleasant hail shower; even the car park tow was stopped at 2:30pm.

However, snow conditions are excellent from top to bottom. The often icy Traverse has lovely soft spring snow and although the Burnside Area is becoming narrower compared to the last few months, there is still plenty of space to get through.

It's windy again today but Thursday looks great.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
On my way up to cairngorm now and it looks interesting to say the least lol
won't be much visibility I feel Sad
ski holidays
Report from Glencoe ski patrol on Twitter: Around a foot of new snow fell on the top runs last night. on Tue, 23 Mar, 2010
snow conditions
Am liking this from MWIS:
Quote:
Planning Outlook for all mountain areas from Friday, 26th March, 2010

"In the longer term, there are now strong indications of a return to cold weather on the run-up to Easter. Most forecast models from the different centres are one by one 'flipping' toward pushing low pressure east and south of Britain into next week, allowing northerly winds in from the Arctic. There will be snowfall on many mountains - much related to a deepening low that will move slowly east across southern Britain Monday. Most snow could well be across England and Wales.

Hopefully the most snow will hit the highlands though, don't want it wasted down south!
snow report
Play nice now Roga Wink
snow report
^ sorry, I'll rephrase ... hopefully the most snow will hit the highlands and Brecon Beacons, though, don't want it wasted down south with the exception of the Brecon Beacons!

Hows that? Wink
latest report
Another great day at Cairngorm today although the visibility at the top was very poor from about 10am onwards. There's soft spring snow from top to bottom with very little ice around.

Some runs, mainly lower down, have the tops of rocks exposed so take care. Also, the lower slopes are beginning to narrow resulting in a few bottlenecks. All week has been very quiet with the top car park still only half full by 10am, although I expect it will be busier next week with the start of the Easter holidays. It will be fantastic if we can still ski and board top to bottom into April.
ski holidays
roga wrote:
^ sorry, I'll rephrase ... hopefully the most snow will hit the highlands and Brecon Beacons, though, don't want it wasted down south with the exception of the Brecon Beacons!

Hows that? Wink

Now you're talking. Make it happen Smile
latest report
Managed to get a lift up sometime during the Easter Break, is there still a bit of decent off piste available or is it all tracked out and has the melt made it a bit gnarly?
Do people honestly think they'll be a good snow during or before easter?
latest report
roga, Need a bit on our local Shropshire hills too wink

I'm hoping to get up to Scotland in the week after Easter, so fingers crossed....
ski holidays
milnerhome, keep an eye on the forecasts to see if it does snow but it's looking that way.

The consensus on off-piste is great where there's good spring snow, gnarly at other times but if/when it snows it'll all change.

david@mediacopy, sorry, hope it snows on the Shropshire hills too Very Happy

Cool, hopefully it'll still be good then, certainly hope so coz I'll still be in Aviemore Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Edit: Double posting

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 26-03-10 13:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
roga,

Thanks for that, I've only been once and it was pretty wild so we stayed on piste and I didn't get to check out any of the terrain, are there any drop's/mini cliffes available?
ski holidays
milnerhome wrote:
roga,

Thanks for that, I've only been once and it was pretty wild so we stayed on piste and I didn't get to check out any of the terrain, are there any drop's/mini cliffes available?

The main area at cairngorm is pretty much cliff-less. Plenty in Sneachda but thats another thing altogether. If you wants cliffs go to Glencoe, Scotlands hucking capital. More cliffs than and natural hits than all the other areas combined!
ski holidays
Mike Pow, david@mediacopy, hopefully this is better for you Very Happy :
Quote:
Planning Outlook for all mountain areas from Saturday, 27th March, 2010

The weekend will see a drop in temperature across all mountain areas, and showers, particularly across parts of northern and western Scotland, where snow showers will at times give blizzards. Next week will be cold and often windy. An area of low pressure will cross southern Britain on Monday and then move only slowly away east on the run up to Easter, resulting in a return to cold weather with at least some snow on nearly all mountains - with substantial falls in many areas, especially eastern Scotland and across England and Wales.

milnerhome, as scottishskier says Glencoe is the place for hucking and cliff drops etc. If you get the chance do head across there from Aviemore and have a play, it's about an hour/hour and a half away if the roads are clear. I love Cairngorm because I grew up skiing there but Glencoe, which I discovered more recently, is an absolute hidden gem and can be truly awesome and although small I'd put it up there with anywhere I've been in the world on a good day.

If you're into gullies and stuff there are plenty in the Gorms if you're prepared to tour away from the lift served area rather than just do the usual traverse off piste and take an off piste run back down to the lifts. For real expertise in touring you could do far worse than heading over to Winterhighland and asking some of the real experts there for info on the gully and touring stuff.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for you responses roga, scottishskier,

Glencoe sounds ideal but the snow doesn't sound to good there at the moment, and as the driver and others in the group are just going for piste skiing we may have to stick to Caingorm.

Oh well I'm sure I'll find something interesting if I go for a hike with a shovel!
snow report
milnerhome, pleasure Smile

The MWIS forecast is firming up and looking very good for snow:
Quote:
Planning Outlook for all mountain areas from Tuesday, 30th March, 2010

Cold throughout the coming week and the Easter Weekend. By Wednesday (31st) there will have been a considerable dump of snow from the eastern and southern Highlands of Scotland south to Cumbria, with the whole of the Southern Uplands bearing the brunt - up to 3 ft of 'level' snow will lie in enormous drifts. Beyond, further snow will fall almost daily, mainly on northern and western mountains, as clusters of heavy showers come in, although at low levels there will be gradual thawing.

Very Happy snowHead
latest report
roga,
Quote:
up to 3 ft of 'level' snow will lie in enormous drifts

Sounds perfect. I'd better start looking for some B&B accommodation snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
I'm going to manage two days up there, first week of easter half term!

Look out for the numpty trying to look cool on Hellbents Wink Laughing

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 28-03-10 21:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
milnerhome, any idea where you are headed yet? Saw someone on Hellbents earlier in the year.
snow report

Snow starting to lie on the Ski Club Hut balcony again. Very Happy

Updating images: http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/cairngorm-mountain/
snow conditions
Winterhighland, That looks great, BBC weather map is providing me with a lot of pleasure tonight Wink

arv, No idea of the Hotel, but its likely i'm heading over to the Gorm rather than Glencoe, but if the snows good I might persuade a day over there. Are you up there any time soon... lets just hope the snow suits my hellbents for everyones sake! Laughing
ski holidays
milnerhome, I finish Uni on Thursday and will looking to get up as much as possible (every day, depending on snow, is a real possibility). It is only an hour for me. Depending on conditions, Nevis and/or Glencoe will be the picks.
snow report
arv, if the snow does what it should, your gonna have an awesome time up there! Shame I can't get more time off but I couldn't afford the train or coach up so I've gotta work around the person who's giving me a lift.
ski holidays
arv, I'm up in glencoe or Nevis this weekend. Wife feeling well enough for me to get a bit of skiing in.

I'll not cramp your style but could do with someone to show me around Nevis if youe there or even have lunch in the glencoe hut, rater than eat one of their burgers alone Happy

Looks like tons of snow for 4/5 days solid. Happy

Cheers
Bob
snow conditions
I'll keep you posted and let you know nearer the time where I will be and when. Friday is almost a certainty right now but the weekend is a little more uncertain, would love to get up though! (Coursework central right now, 1 more to go and would like to get it out the way before the Easter week begins!).
ski holidays
Good luck with the exams. I know the feeling. My degree exams were 6 days ina row, got them over quickly mind you. Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy