Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2008 / 2009

Poster: A snowHead
Jamie wrote:
but should not be attempted without a guide.

It's a pretty straightforward route. I've never skied it with a guide. Is it possible to get into trouble down there?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, friends (all experienced local skiers, including pisteurs) went there three years ago and one got caught in an avalanche. Fortunately thrown back to the surface after travelling 100ft or so under the snow.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fridge, wow. It's pretty low angle terrain all the way to the forest track. Where abouts was the avalanche?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fridge, The avalanche I heard about was not on the normal route, it was to the side where it can sometimes be unstable. The normal route is safe in most conditions if you know the way.

Jamie, With all respect, unless the Basi Instructors know the area, current conditions and the safe route then there is know guarantee that you would be any safer with them than anyone else there on holiday. You do not say whether these guys were working in Les Arcs or on holiday with you.

As with all off piste, if you do not know the route and the current conditions etc. you should take a local guide.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowcrazy wrote:
fridge, The avalanche I heard about was not on the normal route, it was to the side where it can sometimes be unstable. The normal route is safe in most conditions if you know the way.

I did see the remains of a small slide there last season, but it was not really in the Vallon des Rossets it was off to the right sort of coming off the Aiguille Grive rather than Col de Chal. Slightly steeper and a different aspect to the regular route.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Today was another one of those strange days, cloudy, sun trying to break through at times, flat light and it even tried to snow later in the afternoon but went away again. The snow of the last few days has given a bit of a cover to the old snow. You can easily drop through onto the old hard crunchy snow but in some places the fresh snow gave enough support to float on top and make some really good turns. Some quite fun areas to play in around 1600, 1800 and vallandry. The best for me today was going down from the deux tetes all the way to 1600 off piste.

It has not started snowing again yet, but I hope the storm they have promised brings more snow tonight or tomorrow as the resort is starting to get busy. Had to queue for 5 min at the Vallandry lift today and everything will get warn out very quickly without another top up soon.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, sometimes they can have quite big slides around there so if you take the high route or crossing below it you need to be very careful. I think that must be where fridge, was talking about. I agree, not the regular route.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tuesday - it's snowing a little but is very windy - all the higher lifts are closed...talk of 2000 being shut totally - one of the skibeat guys who was guiding a group around la plagne has come back and said you couldn't get upto Dos Rond (top of Bijolin). I haven't made it out as a little under the weather..
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Strange day here in Bourg (having a day off today!). Miserable, damp and light rain all morning - sun came out in the afternoon for a bit - and very very mild/warm all day. Be interesting to see what anyone up the mountain says has been happening snow-wise. 5pm european time and it has just turned to light snow here... Hopefully this is the colder patch with snow that has been forecast. Hope you feel better soon Bertie!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bertie bassett, jayne durham, looks like we were all lazy today. I took one look out the door and went back to bed. On the piste reports it said all the lifts were closed in ARc 2000, know links open from 1600 and 1800. Even the vagere chair lift was closed. All Villaroger was said to be closed as well. It looks like the only place with most lifts running was Peisey/Vallandry. It is now snowing in Bourg, but not that much yet although I was just told it is snowing quite a lot up top. Hope it lasts.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi, just spotted this - http://www.peisey-info.com/Domaine/dtravaux.htm - Replacement Arpette for next year. I do use this and Vagere a lot in preference to the Trans Arc.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Today was COLD...

still the recent snowfalls (althought not that large) seem to have done the business and have topped up the pistes quite a lot.

Did golf a couple of times and it was absolutley fantastic...lots of nice soft fluffy lumps all over the place and no icy bits between them. Loved it so much that I did it 3 times even though I was still not 100%..

Bodes well for the masses coming out this weekend - although it looks like more frenchies are now here than on monday, as the place is definitely feeling busier...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bertie bassett wrote:

Bodes well for the masses coming out this weekend - although it looks like more frenchies are now here than on monday, as the place is definitely feeling busier...

Some of the French regions are already on first week of two week half-term holiday.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
allanm, that's interesting.... google translation of the page (my french not extending far beyond order basics in the Supermarche) is "- Replacement of the old lift Arpette by a 6-seater detachable chairlift (flow rate increased from 1500 to 3000 skiers per hour). Grae starting near the lift station downstream of the Col des Frettes arrival and unchanged. TSG of the frets should be deleted."

So it will deliver skiers to the same place the Arpette does, but start 'downstream' of the Col Des Frettes chair ? Do you understand what it is saying is going to be deleted ?

Also, later in the page it suggests the clair blanc will be replaced?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It means that the Col de Frettes ancient chairlift will be no more! The extra capacity of the new chair will more than compensate for removing it and the Arpette chair. It is a shame, because I always found the Col de Frettes chair a useful escape route when there were big queues elsewhere, but that is progress...
snow report
In Les Arcs for first time and so far have not been able to see much further than the piste in front of us! It's been snowing on and off since we came. Most on Tuesday night. It was very cold maybe (-12)and probably today also although have not yet ventured out. Was out yesterday at 9.00 for a ski lesson with Ski Privilege and for the first time ever had the wonder of doing the first tracks thing. Now I see what you all rave about although in our case it was only off the piste a little. Great fun. We have stayed mostly around Les Arcs 1800 and Peissey/Vallandry as it was windy and colder higher up and have enough skiing to occupy us although a little sun would be nice, if only to be able to see the beautiful scenery that I'm sure is here!

It's not wildy busy just round just queues at the main Chantel and Vagere lifts and the Vallandy one.
snow conditions
I vaguely recall seeing the Les Arcs development plan online a few years ago. IIRC the Arpette chair was planned to be replaced by two chairlifts. The lower section would start more or less where is does at the moment but would finish at about the same altitude as the top station of the Vagere chairlift, then a new top section of the chairlift would go from there to the top of the Arpette ridge. This would allow people to get off the Vagere chairlift and get onto the top section of the chairlift to link over to 2000, as well as allowing people to lap around the easy slopes served by the lower section of the Arpette chair without having to go to the top of the ridge.
ski holidays
ruthie, glad you're having fun in the fresh snow, even if the visibility isn't the best! Looks like another cloudy day today from the webcams.
ski holidays
Been out this morning in snow & poor visibility with my son, and we charged round at great speed, thoroughly enjoying ourselves - the snow was fabulous, though we didn't see many views! Went uo to 2000 bowl, then up Varet and down Robert Blanc - superb, on 2nd lap did Arandelieres, improving visibility. Then returned to 1800 side via Bois de l'Ours chair, bad vis.at top, snow straight in face all way to Blanche Muree for hot choc. Then returned to Peisey for lunch and sun came out!! Yippee, can't wiat to get back in that powder - no queues, very few people, the cowards must be inside, missing all the fun.
latest report
So all this snow then - will it still be there at Easter - cos I've just booked Cool
ski holidays
Boris, Cool back to Vallandry, or one of the other villages?
snow conditions
rob@rar, back to Vallandry - got a good deal on lift passes booked through tourist office - saves nearly €100 on family ticket snowHead
snow conditions
Boris wrote:
rob@rar, back to Vallandry - got a good deal on lift passes booked through tourist office - saves nearly €100 on family ticket snowHead

Boris, how does the family ticket work out then, would it be worthwhile for me, the wife & 9yr old son?
snow report
Boris, what week(s)? - we're in 1950 4th - 17th April

Gregd, to be cost-effective you need 2 adults, 2 children in the 6-17 bracket. 1 child doesn't make it work. Discrimination!!
ski holidays
It snowed most of yesterday and again today. Snow just seems to keep on coming. By this afternoon it was nearly up to your knees in fresh light stuff. Wonderful. Another great day. Today the conditions got better as the day went on. The vis improved even though it was still snowing a little. Found great powder in some of the gullies and higher forests. The off piste eveywhere is now in excellent condition. The pistes are in very good condition as well but there are to many people around so as soon as the stormy weather breaks it is off to the back country for me. The kids are ripping it up in the snow park and the boarder cross courses are real fun. They say it might be a little better conditions tomorrow, hope so. There are so many places just waiting for fresh tracks. Anyone driving out, the roads are clear right now on the way up to all stations. So it should not be a problem for the weekend as they are working hard to keep everything clear as it is high season again. Hope to see some of you out over the coming week. DO NOT FORGET THE ROBERT BLANC DERBY RACE on the 18th.
snow report
Boris, Snow will be good at Easter Very Happy I'm out 21st March till Easter Sunday.
snow report
These reports are superb.
Cant wait to get out there on 22nd Feb. Hope the weather keeps coming and snow keeps falling.
Dont want the wind.
snow conditions
JimW, same week

Agree need 2 kids to make it worth it - we have three!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Todays word was: Confused.

As in the weather was a little confused - it didn't know whether it was overcast, snowy and 0 visibility, or warmer and sunny and not snowing - in fact it varied a bit between the two extremes every 5 minutes...

Not sure I quite agree with Snowcrazy's commnent of 'the off-piste everywhere is now in excellent condition' - to my mind the close to piste bit lower than say 2300 is starting to get tracked out and is hard-packed on popular routes. But I do agree that the pistes are in great condition, although unless it snows again will quickly become icy at the lower levels due to traffic volumes..

Snow fell on the approach to LGW, but the 0 isotherm was sufficiently far north (and south) so that it wasn't settling on the roads so the drive home (on the wrong side of the road) was uneventful - I'll be a spectator on this thread for a few days now.

Boris Look forward to meeting you later in the season in the Mont Blanc!
latest report
bertie bassett, From my experience snowcrazy, really knows what he is talking about. I was out with him a few week's ago and he new some great spots. By far the most experienced and knowledgeable person that posts on here about Les Arcs. If he said 'it's excellent' then I would think it must have been very good snow quality even if it were tracked in places. My friends and I will be back out in a few days and look forward to riding with him again as I am sure he can take us far from the madding crowds. It's half term. Yuk!! Have you been out with him yet, if you have not then you should as he could show you places you would never go otherwise.
latest report
jasonc wrote:
bertie bassett, From my experience snowcrazy, really knows what he is talking about. I was out with him a few week's ago and he new some great spots. By far the most experienced and knowledgeable person that posts on here about Les Arcs. If he said 'it's excellent' then I would think it must have been very good snow quality even if it were tracked in places. My friends and I will be back out in a few days and look forward to riding with him again as I am sure he can take us far from the madding crowds. It's half term. Yuk!! Have you been out with him yet, if you have not then you should as he could show you places you would never go otherwise.

Jasonc I know snowcrazy is the guru - end of.

Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to ski with him yet, and that's mainly because I guess we'd like to ski different things - I only have about 6 constructive weeks on skis, and so I'm not going to be going off the back of the grand col down to Nancroix just yet.

The point I was making is that for those people who like to 'potter off-piste' (i.e me) where there is always a piste visible and no more than 20 seconds to get back to it then the snow conditions are as I've described them, i.e. mainly tracked. Obviously for those with the skills/abillity/experience to venture further afield then I'm sure the snow conditions are excellent, and theres plenty of frehies to be had.

Same resort, Same Snow Conditions, 2 slightly different approaches, 2 interpretations as to the conditions - isn't it great that we're all different!
latest report
bertie bassett, so how about coming out on the board and ripping it up a bit. When do you get back. I seem to be on my board a lot more this season. I remember you posting that the board is your better tool in the powder.

As for the off piste near to the slopes, I agree with bertie bassett, it is very cut up now but it is still loads of fun so get out there and enjoy it.

Today we started off getting into the back country as quick as we could. The sun came out this morning, the snow is still lightish and fluffy. Crossing the resort to get over the back I found the pistes are still in great condition after the recent snow. Down the sides of the piste was loads of fun and crossing from one piste to another off piste, although well tracked still made a pleasant change. Light snow with a good base and quite deep so you did not always hit the hard worn out stuff underneath.

The back country is very varied, there have been a few avalanches so anyone venturing out there be real careful, stuff is starting to slide. A big one has taken out most of the Lanchette back country valley, not really worth going down there now and still very unstable by the normal route.

Th Grand col route is great still as is the Col de Chal, but if you do not know where you are going or know the conditions, 'Take a guide and stay safe'. There are still plenty of places to put down fresh trackes at the moment.

The side of the Droset was also really good today. As was the deux tetes run off piste down to Arc 1600. I could say more but that is enough. We had a great day Toofy Grin

Anyone coming out this weekend is in for a treat with the snow conditions, BUT Twisted Evil it is getting very busy so the queues will be getting bigger.

Hope to see some of you at the Derby race on Wednesday.
ski holidays
Yep - yesterday the snow off piste was really lovely - and in the sunshine you could actually see where you were skiing! Had a great time with Snowcrazy and co in the afternoon.... Thanks...
It is still bright and really cold so the snow should keep well.
Hope all those out for half term have a great time when you arrive. Roads through Bourg were heaving by 9.30 this morning - but it actually looks a bit clearer at the mo
ski holidays
Today was a dream. Blue sky. light fluffy powder. Fresh tracks, then a few clouds, then it clears again, then a light wind came from somewhere and brought a little snow. Then out came the sun again, but still it was cold, oh so cold.

The powder on the bellcote north face was amazing. The snow in the national park was great. The pistes in Les Arcs are in great condition and even the off piste between and at the side of the pistes is fun although it is now well tracked. If you like the snowpark, then they have now added a few more rails and there are three different border cross cousres in Les Arcs domaine. All in great condition.

The only bad side is that it is starting to get very busy so if you are coming out this week, there will be some waiting at the lifts.

Altogether it is just great to be here.
snow conditions
Is this coming week usually considered to be the busiest?

We are coming out next Saturday Very Happy , can’t wait, and hope the conditions remain as good as they are now.

Is there any significant snow forecast for the next 7 days Toofy Grin ?
ski holidays
Booked my week in Les Arcs last night.
Cant wait to arrive on Sun 22nd. Hope all the half termers leave some good snow or the gods intervene on friday and saturday with a good dumping of the white stuff.
Would be nice to have the opportunity to put a few faces to the virtual news reporter in Les Arc over a beer or two.

Am off to Stockport now to buy some skis for the OH as she has not got any yet.
Roll on this time next week when the plane will be departing BHX for GVA.
snow report
Dontlikeheights - why Stockport for skis?
ski holidays
Went to several different stores yesterday in Birmingham and they didnt have the right colour for the OH Very Happy
Looked on the Decathlon website and the OH found some Rossignol Harmony skis that she liked and they are only available at the stockport store.
Good price at 150gbp including bindings so for her first pair they seem like a bargain.
latest report
Cant believe it is half term in Les Arcs. Skied mainly around 2000 today. Snow lovely - and brilliant blue skies. No lift queues at any of the lifts. Only one we hit was end of the day about 5 mins to get on Vagere.
Where is everyone???? (not that I'm complaining!!)
latest report
jayne durham, there was a similar report of quiet slopes in the Trois Vallees. Maybe the credit crunch really is taking its toll on this years ski season?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy