Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes - Winter 2008-2009

Poster: A snowHead
skitrish, I hope you have a great time. Your question has already been answered. Very Happy

Scarpa, So sorry, I'm afraid I wasn't really thinking of UK bound sensibilities when I skied that. wink wink wink NehNeh
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
easiski, thanks - I seriously can't wait for proper snow in the proper place! I have definitely had enough of UK snow today, having had to drive home from south Warwickshire in the dark - 3.5 blooming hours rolling eyes
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski wrote:
.......I had many many turns with snow up to mid-thigh. Very Happy Very Happy

I'm beginning to think you'll make a decent skier with a bit of practice rolling eyes snowHead wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Today was again cold, and again better in the morning clouding over in the early afternoon and it looked as though the light got flat then. I'd come down at that point. Today I was on the Cretes (fabulous snow) and then what used to be the Petit Diable and is now part of the Diable which was good. Afterwards I skied down the Diable proper and again the snow was very good. It hadn't been pisted last night so there were a number of little bumps, but nothing much. I did find some harder patches of snow on the lower reaches though which surprised me, but you wouldn't call it harpack - just much firmer than the rest of the relatively soft stuff - anyway no probs for the new Fischers.

I'm afraid I forgot to take a picture - sorry Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well, I thought it was rubbish, but this as largely because some fool decided to turn left all of a sudden about three inches in front of me, which meant I almost skied into him, wiped out and landed on one shoulder. Now can't move my head or left arm. (Or I can if I have to, but I'd really rather not.) On the plus side, new bindings released, which was useful.

Tip: if you plan to turn directly across a busy piste, have a quick nosey at the oncoming traffic. You wouldn't walk out into the middle of the A38 without looking and expect to survive, would you? rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard wrote:
You wouldn't walk out into the middle of the A38 without looking and expect to survive, would you? rolling eyes

The friend who's coming out to LDA with me next month lives just off the A38, so I'll pass on your advice. I'm sure he'll understand Laughing

Hope the arm and head are recovering!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard, Sad Hope you are okay
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard, Sad hope you have a speedy recovery, and do take yourself off to the docs.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lizzard, i feel your pain! this is why i dont ride when its busy! Currently suffering an arva to the rib/boob area, boob stopped break, so just bruised!

can i suggest a heated blanket to lie on, tis what i did last year after a cartwheel on my head incident after trying to scorpion. worked wonders with a few days in bed.

hope your better soon
x
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lizzard, Get well real soon
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard, Ouch! Hope it improves overnight.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard, ow. Keep pouring the painkillers with the other arm! Get well soon.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Helen Beaumont, I'm not about to pester the quack with a bruised arm and a stiff neck - he would probably think I was mad. Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It was a very odd day today. 103Kph wind at the glacier this morning and not much moving, but it improved and they managed to open a fair bit of the mountain. I had snowed a bit last night and was slightly warmer than yesterday. It snowed off and on, heavy gusts of wind off and on, clouds and little bits of sun peeking through off and on ... The snow was good though, and I didn't go up the mountain as it was nasty and there's plenty of good stuff down here.
Pic is from the top of the Grand Viking looking across the Stade de Slalom to the centre of town.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard, that's what my hubby said wink. Seriously, if you are sure you haven't injured something and are just bruised, fair enough.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, the bruise is looking increasingly colourful - I may post a picture if it gets impressive enough. Meanwhile I am applying heat (externally) and red wine (mostly internally). I have yet to find an ailment which fails to respond to this treatment. Laughing
snow conditions
Lizzard, Laughing nor me, and Jules admits that if we had a bath in the apartment, he might have gone for a nice soak instead of going to the doc's. I suppose our recent experience has made me far more cautious about injuries than I would normally be. I am usually firmly in the 'leave it till tomorrow and see how I am' camp.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, this is my approach - my colleagues at work were horrified to hear that I don't have any painkillers in the house. Pussies!

Probably just as well for Jules that you don't have a bath though, really.
ski holidays
Lizzard, ouch, hope it sorts itself out quickly, that's the third injury I've heard of this week Sad

There was some good snow to be had today, the wind had blown snow across a lot of the pistes and loaded them nicely on the leeward sides of any ridges. Please note this is basically a wind slab so off piste on most slopes isn't that great an idea right now. The wind has been changing direction a fair bit lately so as a result there will be a fair few unstable aspects especially with the new snowfall and cold temperatures.
ski holidays
Snowed again last night - high winds - cheered up a bit now, we'll see when I go out.
ski holidays
Lizzard, I hope the colourful nature of the bruise leads to it looking worse than it feels and it being used to attract plenty of tlc from Mr L or is that too optimistic?
snow report
Butterfly, he was quite impressed with it, certainly!
snow conditions
It was bitterly, bitterly cold today with a huge wind chill. Sad Sunny and nice powder in the morning on the face, but really unpleasant. The wind got up worse in the afternoon and they closed the Cretes, both eggs and the Jandri Express. Big Qs in the village too. The Pied Moutet side stayed open all day though. Pic shows the wind blwing the snow across the sun on the Cretes this morning. Oh - forgot to say we had another 15-20cms last night. Shocked
snow report
Had a big space in between lessons so came home. It's snowing hard, apparently it's high winds at altitude and the viz is quite miz. It's probably been dropping about 2cms per hour all day. Shocked Very light fluffy stuff, so it will be good once you can see anything. the photo was taken on the Gentianes lift looking up towards l'Y (well it would be there if you could see it). Laughing
snow report
Do you normally have such a lot of yucky days? Hope the weather gets its act together before long!
snow report
Butterfly, No - as you know the average here in the Oisans is 300 days of sunshine per year. It would seem that recently we've had a whole year's worth of bad weather in one go. Think what it's going to be like next week - 7 hours on the hill - -10 or below, snow, wind, Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad and the only week to earn some decent money. rolling eyes Still, it needs to snow, and it doesn't snow on bluebird days. Sad
latest report
Knee deep powder all over the shop this afternoon, lots of fun for people who know the pistes, probably a bit alarming for everyone else as visibility was frequently non-existent. Came down the Y and then went back up to do Les Sapins, which Mr L described as 'a bit lumpy'. It transpires that by this he means that it is covered in huge icy moguls which loom up at you all of a sudden out of the fog. Ideal.

Inevitably fell on the bad shoulder, now balancing a hot water bottle on it. rolling eyes
latest report
Lizzard, Oh dear! So he was buying you an apology beer then! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well not really. We decided against moguls which resembled VW beetles and headed off right somewhere into the soft bits. I am singularly annoyed that the sky has cleared this morning when I have to work until 2pm though. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Lizzard, Take comfort that its miserable here and we dont get to ski at all, and dont forget that the massive amount of snow we have in Grimsby (at least 2cm) is gonna bring the whole area to its knee's wink
Enjoy your 2 free hours on the slopes, how I wish I had that to look forward to when I finish work tonight Very Happy
snow report
fragy, this is true. Very Happy
snow conditions
Very. very cold up here - -15 on my balcony
latest report
Easiski, Brrrr!! Bet Ioda hates it! Since we've had a bit of snow my 3 won't go out in it - open the door and they're back by the fire in a microsecond.
fragy, we've got the humungous depth of about 4cm here! I see there is going to be total chaos though with the main A46 from Laceby to just south of Caistor being closed due to ice Shocked .
snow report
For an idea of how cold it is here at the moment the screen wash froze in my car at some point in the last couple of days. On the bottle (kept in the boot and has some ice floating in it!) it says dilute 2x for use to -30. I put it in neat. Looked like another windy day today, we went shopping: hence the screenwash discovery.
latest report
As previously mentioned it was bitterly cold today, made worse by a NE wind. In the morning it wasn't too bad in the village and the snow was still good, but the snow was flying off the tops. In the afternoon the wind got up down here too and it was brassic! All lifts above the Cretes were off again after a bit early on. Sad Lovely to see the sun but ......... Pic looking over to the Pied Moutet side from the top of the Gentianes lift
ski holidays
Still love reading the reports easiski, and sorry to read about the shoulderLizzard,

Stay safe next week, both of you.
ski holidays
90kph winds at the top yesterday, giving a temperature of nearly -60°C. Some youth stopped by the ticket window for a day pass, wearing a T-shirt and hoody. On being being told that he was inadequately dressed, he just said he was 'used to skiing like this' and bimbled off. I expect to hear this morning that he had to be romoved from a chairlift and thawed out. Laughing
ski holidays
Today was once again quite sunny (although with more clouds than yesterday) and bitterly cold. It was fine first thing, but then about 11 or so the wind got up and it was vile. Sad Sooooo bitter.

Anyway pic of lots of little people playing on the Viking lifts, and a very odd thing - a toothbrush at the bottom of the Grand Viking! Shocked
ski holidays
I just got back last night. Very testing weather most of the week, but the snow was fantastic. Because the top was closed most of the week due to very high winds the bottom got quite choppy. Fine for skiiers, bit of a mare for us boarders! But i couldnt believe how much easily accessible off piste there is!! All week there was fresh powder to be found easily!
We had a few half days because of the weather, but the geneppi softened the blow!
We managed to board on sat too, which was a great decision. They re-opened the top,and,because it had been shut most of the week, the snow had barely been touched. Fantastic Very Happy
Next stop tignes in march Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

a toothbrush at the bottom of the Grand Viking!

glad you added that, easiski, I initially thought it was a rocket launching through thick cloud.

Those winds sound horrible.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy