Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes - Winter 2008-2009

Poster: A snowHead
mcboz, I'm glad you enjoyed your day out - come and visit us for the week next time! wink

fragy, Now, now - you'll be here before too long.

Cold, cloudy and very flat light all day today + lots of peeps up for the day (at least I hope it was for the day Shocked ). A few flocons floating around in the pm, and a small dusting overnight. I'll be looking for off piste tomorrow higher up, so hopefully it'll be better than lower down.

Pic of the nice green run down through the village at the Mont de Lans end - a bit before the one I took a week or so ago.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh I like the look of that green.

Fab pics mcboz.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Butterfly, am I reading this right?

Is Mr Butterfly considering altering his non-skiing status? Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
little tiger, yes, it would seem so! None more shocked than me, I can tell you! I'll believe it when I see it though - and will photo and post the evidence!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Butterfly, Very Happy we will wait then
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Butterfly, chinese drip torture - works every time. Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski, indeed Wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is anyone out there? these reports bring hope in gloomy times....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Richard E, Sorry, I don't quite get that? Swirly is also writing a blog on the Snowboard forum.

It was worth going up yesterday, and it turned out better than it looked to start with. Bits of glimpses of the sun, very strong gusts even on the Cretes and the whole mountain shut above the Toura - but very good snow on the piste.

Pix looking up the mountain and looking across to L'Aiguille de Venosc and La Muzelle with more clouds massing behind them.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski, the snow reports you and others post are really useful and do just make the skiing holiday seem that much closer so the short gap without a report prompted the question. As ever thanks to you for these reports. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I came back on the 1st Feb after a great week in L2A, sunshine and blue sky with low temps for most of the week and it was snowing as I left at 7am! Piste skiing was great with the top runs best, getting hard packed lower down towards the end of the week. Temps on the top were down to -17 including wind chill but great views. Off piste the conditions were varied and most 'new' snow tracked out. Sitting in the sun outside the Pano bar with a beer, DJ playing and looking at the fab view was great! Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Again the weather today wasn't too horrid, but a bit of everything at some point. It was much warmer though, which was great because I forgot my boot heater batteries! Sad A fair bit of melting this afternoon, but I was busy fixing the van door which wouldn't shut, so that was good. Very Happy Piste conditions are great, and we found some really quite nice off piste in the top of the Combe du Thuit, and also downthe little gully at the right of the lower part. this included a lesson in stem christies from a standstill to stop down a very steep little pitch. Very Happy I think my 'victim' enjoyed himself.

I forgot to take a pic till I got down I'm afraid so here's one looking up from the Petit Viking.

I got my new Fischers today -ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very happy.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Today was more of the same, but a fair bit of sunshine in the morning. Not too cold, but the wind chill at the glacier (40Kph) was pretty nasty. About 1cm of fresh on the Cretes this morning, so the early birds (us) got the worm of fresh tracks on the piste. Very Happy After skiing there I went up to the glacier level in order to take my chap down the hidden valley (top of Gours) where we found some very nice snow indeed. Very Happy Very Happy It wouldn't be called deep powder but it was powdery and in some places it was deep and one turn was the real McCoy. The whole valley was nice and we got some half decent turns in at the bottom above the Gours piste and at the bottom of Chalance.

Pic is looking up at Zotov's leap which is not nearly so leapy as it usually is. The whole of the valley was really well filled. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sounds like all's pretty good! How is Ioda doing ? Not gone missing again lately I hope!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski, so ... how's Chalence?
snow report
achilles, Sad (for you) to say that it looks quite good now. filling in nicely. Very Happy
ski holidays
We had a huge wind in the night which kept me awake from 03.30 onwards. Sad It's settled down a bit now, but I doubt if much will be open high up. It's snowing a bit.
ski holidays
It's an absolutely foul day. After the wind in the night we have the wind in the day, and it's cloudy and snowing. Everything was shut on the Jandri side apart from the pomas in the village and runs below it. they tried to run the Pied Moutet side but had to stop that as well. Lots of messing around and very little information as usual. Evil or Very Mad

I took my student down to Mont de Lans. The run was in super condition (thanks to the cannons), and she did very well, but we then discovered a Q of about 500m at the bottom. Shocked we skied right past it enduring some abuse and snowballs, and 'took' the priority onto the lift. I took 2 pix on the way up the lift.
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
... discovered a Q of about 500m at the bottom.

You'd clearly reached the White Lady t-bar
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, Not quite, but not far off! rolling eyes
latest report
easiski wrote:
achilles, Sad (for you) to say that it looks quite good now. filling in nicely. Very Happy

Hmmm. Haven't sorted out my March holiday, yet.
ski holidays
chucking it down now. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Fantastic!!!
Cant wait til saturday?
Were getting there earlyish and check in until 3. Whats thecheapest bar we can sit in for a couple of hours? We will have to sit tight as we will have our boards and bags with us!
Thanks Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
adamtheyido, there is a luggage store in the centre of town so you can leave your stuff. There are also 7 free lifts in the town so you could have a play whilst waiting! Very Happy

there was no snow on this tree last night! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Oh wow!
Yes mark said i could leave stuff at his house and go get some fresh powder with him but one of our friends is hiring skis and boots on sunday! Be a bit harsh to leave him. But we will drop our stuff off so we can go and get our shopping for a few days. So any recomendations on a decent bar(pool table) is still welcome.
Cant wait
Happy Days Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Red Frog has a pool table as does the Board Room
snow report
easiski, Shocked Very Happy
snow conditions
adamtheyido, Smokey Joes too which is close to the luggage store ... Get your friend to get their hire skis on Sat - go on - you know you want to .... Twisted Evil

It's just poured buckets of snow more or less all day long. It's stopped now though. Viz was clearly non-existant, although I was a bit tempted by the idea of a quick run on the face, but didn't have time so left the boots off today.

Here are 2 pix - one is of the nursery slopes at around 12.00, and the other is of the road down to my road ... Shocked Shocked Shocked Just to show you that there's plenty here that isn't apartment blocks. Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, would you say the conditions will stay good for second week in March? Having seen all this wonderful snow I will be gutted if we now have three weeks of rain. rolling eyes
latest report
easiski, hope you had a good day even if you didn't get a run in. Hard to believe that pic of that road is the same place I saw last June! Do you have to slog it up/down on foot a lot this time of year?

snow report
Butterfly, Yes - no chance of getting out at the mo even with chains. More MONSTER snow last night. Working today so will take photo when up there - doubt if anything's been pisted since last night though, so not ideal for the peeps I have today. Sad

Richard E There will be more than enough snow in a month's time regardless of weather I think
latest report
easiski wrote:
Butterfly, Yes - no chance of getting out at the mo even with chains. More MONSTER snow last night. Working today so will take photo when up there - doubt if anything's been pisted since last night though, so not ideal for the peeps I have today. Sad

There ain't no justice. Sad
snow report
It's hard to believe but it snowed again (loads) last night. Shocked More digging. Sad Anyway there was powder snow everywhere and last night's lot was much lighter than the night before. We were skiing powder on some of the petit cretes, but unfortunately we were in the grip of a total pea-souper. You couldn't see more than about 10-20m at a guess, so it was hard for the students on their first day. Sad the first pic shows a pisteur doing his stuff at the top of the Petit Cretes chair. I wasn't very far away from him ..........

After work I skied down the Grande Pente and it was really very deep. Not quite deep enough to get totally rid of the bumps that had already been there, but pretty deep. Once onto the steep bit the viz improved a fair bit, and about 2/3 of the way down I took the second pic. The difficultly was that Thursday night's snow was quite heavy but that on top was pow, so every now and then I skied into what looked like untracked and stopped dead! rolling eyes On the whole though it was excellent, and apparently early on there was sunshine up top and the Echines was purrrrfect. We'll see what happens tomorrow - if it's nice I might have to go high .....
snow conditions
nice....powder snow for all..... here and there....everywhere in europe. Laughing
ski holidays
AlTom, Yeah - your side looks very good - even better I think. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
easiski, excuse my ignorance, but does Thursday's being "heavy" quality and the 2nd lot being "light" mean they won't bond together & there'll be higher avalanche risk? I understand that lack of bonding causes the snow to be in layers that separate, but am still not really sure what type of snowfall causes that lack of bonding. Isn't there a kind of sedimentary layering effect with every fresh fall?
ski holidays
Butterfly, The heavy sticky snow will stick to the layer below. The light top layer (if it stays like that) will get squished down by the tracks anyway. I'm not an expert, but I reckon if it was the other way around it would be very dangerous. Shocked

there had been a fair bit of wind overnight, and (being able to see today) the exposed slopes had a good bit of sustrugi. However the sheltered parts and the tree skiing was amazing. Very Happy Very Happy A nice little pootle round the path from top of red eggs to top of white eggs followed by a stinit on the Cretes in the most perfect snow. Very Happy Super Diable and Bellcombe lifts were closed first thing for avvi control, and Rachas did look mostly windcrust.

After work I skied down right at the end of Posettes or on Petite Aiguille (not sure which) through the trees. No tracks right in the tighter trees so I had a lot of freshies (OK, no flow possible but that doesn't bother me), and I had many many turns with snow up to mid-thigh. Very Happy Very Happy The first pic unfortunately doesn't show the tracks that I could see with the naked eye, but shows the top of the Petite Aiguille which you have to hike a little way to get to. 2nd and 3rd pix were taken from the same point half way down the middle part and before dropping down onto the 3rd leg of the Demoiselles.
ski holidays
that snow is looking fab, thanks for posting those pictures.We are really loooking forward to the skiing when we arrive on saturday.At the risk of gooing off topic ,could i ask if a photo is required for the LDA lift pass ?
snow report
No
ski holidays
easiski, Do you realise what these pictures are doing to my mind? I have pretty much the month before I can get away Crying or Very sad At least I was up to my knees in snow today in the Welsh mountians... but it's not quite the same as floating on top of it. I'll have to get back to L2A soon.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy