Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2011/12 snowreport

Poster: A snowHead
Here is a question for those out there currently.

We are arriving on 14 January and staying for a week in Chatel, going via Morzine to collect lift passes on 14th.

We have booked two Renault Scenics (albeit with the winter weather gear, chains and the like). Will this be okay to get us up there, or should we be seriously considering something 4wd?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In all but exceptional conditions, a Scenic with good tyres and chains if needed, won't be a problem. 14th is way too far away to know whether it will be beaming sunshine over dry clear roads, or another snow-apocalypse like at the moment.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks chap.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'll be driving somewhere similar on the 14th, in a Scenic with winter gear. So if it's a bad 'un and you get stuck, we'll both be in the same boat!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

In all but exceptional conditions, a Scenic with good tyres and chains if needed, won't be a problem.

+1. and if conditions are that exceptional even the most brilliantly suitable vehicles will be stuck in a massive traffic jam along with everybody else.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Except for nixmap in his magical Subaru.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My fiancee are planning on driving up to Avoriaz tomorrow from Geneva. It looks like there's been a big dump. Does anyone know if the roads/passes will be open? She's got a VW Golf with chains.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
epraz wrote:
My fiancee are planning on driving up to Avoriaz tomorrow from Geneva. It looks like there's been a big dump. Does anyone know if the roads/passes will be open? She's got a VW Golf with chains.

Which won't make any difference if the roads are not open. A bit like pam w said above.

I should think the roads up to Avoriaz will be open though.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
"Chains obligatory" signs on for Avoriaz. You'll be fine. I haven't had to put the chains on my Corsa yet but yesterday in Les Gets was a bit dicey.

Back on topic:

Snow Report - It is LOVELY out there. We parked at the Nyon, did a few blues to warm up then down into the middle bit (whats it called - where the three lifts are) and took the Charniaz over to Les Gets. The back bowl there was lovely and almost deserted ( I imagine due to the Ranfolly being on the blink and the 3 man chair (Mouille au chat) Taking 30mins to get up there - we stopped for AGES, it was cold and then they closed it. Anyway that was nice and the reds down to the Nauchets were lovely. All in all a fab day - except the service in L'Hottys - SO SLOW! My burger (very nice!) arrived before my Vin Chaud - Sad

Mr NN doing exceptionally well for being technically a day 4 boarder, worried he will get better than me Shocked
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nadenoodlee, no news yet on when the Ranfolly lift will be opening? - I see from the offical Les Gets page on Facebook that they are in urgent need of a lift technician - that lift has been on borrowed time for a while now, just hope that if it gets replaced there is not a six man express otherwise the situation will be like the Chamossiere with ar too many people getting there too easily.
The 3 man Mouille is always a bit hesitant - friend and I also ended up with lots of black greasy spots on our jackets from that lift last week.
Well done Mr NN!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I can't begin to describe how fantastic the powder skiing was today; but I'm going to try if only to wee wee underanewname off because he was working Toofy Grin
Up to Linderet early to find all lifts open and largely untracked bottomless powder everywhere, culminating with a great run from top of Chaux Fleurie back to the car park at Ardent. Aaaah
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I reckon I might have a drive up tomorrow....Tuesday was great, and there's been a lot of snow since. Can't wait....hope the roads are ok.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
zzz wrote:
I can't begin to describe how fantastic the powder skiing was today; but I'm going to try if only to wee wee underanewname off because he was working Toofy Grin

There are some really crap swear filters on this forum lol

I so wish I was going skiing this weekend..
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
zzz, yeah, but, no, but, yeah, but I'd have to believe you before my Berocca stained orange wee got upset. Anyway, not nearly as good as the thigh deep stuff off Flegere 3 weeks ago... he he he
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pamski, yes, a 6 man there would be bad news. It's very busy at peak times as it is. We use Mouille regularly as its not so rammed and like the Sautenelles (?sp) red in peak times too Very Happy

Snow sounds great guys Enjoy
ski holidays
Some of the best powder I have skied in yonks yesterday! Liaisons to France were shut but off the back of Ripaille down to Grand Paradis was awesome with a big AW! Deep and fluffy through the trees. Looks like a good day ahead too. Hopefully no wind so we can go play in France too
snow report
Thanks to zzz, and others was a great morning yesterday in the powder. Off to ski Morzine/Les Gets side this morning whilst kids are at ski school.

Looking like a great week ahead with quite slopes after the NY mayhem.

P.S. we still have some availability in Jan and can offer 15% off
latest report
Here we come..............!!!!! Very Happy snowHead Very Happy snowHead
snow report
Finnish evening magazine says that in the french alps it has been dumping non-stop from thursday and that in val d'isere and tignes almost all pistes are closed and that avalanche risk is categorised at 4/5 and that 20 000 people are without electricity somewhere in the alps. Any truth behind this story? Are there pistes closed in morzine/avoriaz?
snow report
trustno1, 78% of Avoriaz open today, pretty good following the snow!!! Check out the snow depth figures!

http://www.avoriaz.com/ski-holidays/operating-lifts.php
ski holidays
*** Edit. Parchets is closed which is the main run down to Ardent. If that stays closed all day. The queue down in the bubble at the end of the day could be huge!!! Cant really see why that would be shut if most other pistes in that area are open. Anyone any ideas?
latest report
Might be a (bad) accident or tree down. You can also get down to Ardent via the skidoo track from the Goat Village (the summer road up from Ardent to Linderet). There is also an off-piste route from Avoriaz down from the Col Joux Verte, but you would have to know where the gap in the cliffs is...
snow conditions
Anyone know how the roads are to montriond? A friend is driving there now to take a chalet for the rest of the season (and two 10 day trips for me, hurrah!), would like to text them a report. Many thanks in advance.
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder,
Quote:

Parchets is closed which is the main run down to Ardent.

looks as if it open now
FreeBeer,
Quote:

via the skidoo track from the Goat Village

wish that the skidoos stuck to that route and not the run down to Ardent which gets all rutted in their tracks! But we do all appreciate all the fresh veg and salad etc that they get up the mountain..
latest report
Pamski, Nearly hit one once where the "s" bend is and it gets steeper!!!
ski holidays
Well that's me back home after a fantastic week staying at Rude's Chalet Christophe in Morzine. I had hoped to post some updates whilst there but couldn't get logged into SnowHeads on my iPhone. We had it all...rain, sun, wind and snow. Soft almost spring like at the start, then firm and hard when temps dropped, followed by 3 days of fresh to play in. Regardless of conditions, every day great fun and tested my ski-ing in lots of different ways. For all those heading out soon I'm sure you'll have a ball.
snow conditions
Dr John, Hello - roads to Montriond are fine and clear. Les Gets is bit slushy but no need for chains or anything.
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, Ta. Friends landed safe and sound, settling into their Bond-esque lair and preparing for me to arrive and generally lower the tone.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
the middle bit (whats it called - where the three lifts are)
Grand Pre
Quote:
except the service in L'Hottys - SO SLOW! My burger (very nice!) arrived before my Vin Chaud
Don't like it there - lost a day a couple of years ago thanks to a Steak Tartare that was a bit too lively, if you see what I mean. spoo

Pamski wrote:
the Ranfolly lift ... has been on borrowed time for a while now
Is 25 years old for a lift? Shocked My worry is if they can't fix it in a week or two they just won't bother until the summer. And that's no use to me at all. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
andyph, skins? Just think of how lovely the view is from the top, how satisfied you would feel......... Toofy Grin
snow report
Lou wrote:
andyph, skins? Just think of how lovely the view is from the top, how satisfied you would feel......... Toofy Grin

And it's a lovely skin up the ridge...
ski holidays
I had a day starting off in Champery today. The snow was exceptionally good and the pistes were in immaculate condition. Visibility in the morning was OK and it was impossible not to enjoy yourself out there in some of the best snow I have ever skied in.

By lunchtime though, viability noticeably worsened up high, so lower runs were the plat du jour for the rest of the day as it was impossible to see what you were about to hit high up.
latest report
Have just spent three hours doing short turns down the front of Pleney down to Atray with Mo from The Snow Institute, followed by a ski down to the bottom.

Really lovely, grippy snow all the way down; turning wettish at around 1200m.

No patches.

No ice.

Very few people Toofy Grin
latest report
Had an amazing 3 days Avoriaz/Mont Chery Les Gets/ Morzine, vis not great up high but snow incredible. Still still making fresh tracks just off the sides on the last run down the pleney side. Bit warmer today, sad to be on way home. Next week should be v nice if the sun makes an appearance.
ski holidays
Lou wrote:
andyph, skins?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

One of the main reasons I like skiing is that a machine carries me to the top of the hill and then gravity takes me back down again. Minimal effort from me. Very Happy

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing No, really. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
FlyingStantoni, Crying or Very sad an excellent illustration of why high is not necessarily good.

We tootled up to Balme to find everything above Argentiere in cloud. Worked our way pole by pole down from top. (But, OMG, HOW MUCH SNOW?? 2m on roofs?? Shocked Shocked Shocked )

Weather?

Vile, vile, vile.

Sad, as great snow. Anyone (skiing, as opposed to working) in the Leman neck of the woods should have a lovely day tomorrow.
ski holidays
Anyway, Lou, et al, as we haven't been to Les Gets for a couple of years, during which time Le Flambeau has changed beyond recognition, where are the best places now for a Savoyarde supper? We don't like the atmos in the Tyrol and La Paika is a bit pricey (I sound like Megamum) and although we like the Peau de Vache we will need to seat 10 which would be a bit cramped in there.
snow conditions
andyph, Laughing

Re supper - agree re Tyrol and La Paika. We didn't actually eat out in the village this time Shocked We had a treat on New Year's Day at Grande Ourse which was fab as usual. We have had several good (reasonably priced) meals in the past at Le Carnozet, close to Le Flambeau, though. It's smallish inside but bigger than Peau de V and pretty sure there were eight of us. Ate in L'Optraken during the summer which was good. Never eaten in Le Remize further into the old village nearer the Church but that used to have a good name.
I am going to hunt down Mikail from Le Flambeau - but as he is in a mountain hut now somewhere over Super Morzine (traitor) that's no good for you for a Savoyarde supper in Les Gets snowHead
snow report
Just been looking at the Avoriaz Webcam this morning and it looks great plenty of snow and sun for a change too. Over the last week whenever I checked the webcam it was low cloud. My group is off to Morzine on Saturday. Our chalet is just a couple of hundred metres from the Super Morzine Lift. We will be skiing in the Avoriaz area for the first few days of our trip, as most of us haven't been up there and those who have had to, as a previous trip to Les Gets, when we got to the resort we found just green fields, but luckily a free coach was put on to Avoriaz until mid week until it started snowing is Les Gets.

Hoping that we have lots of sunshine during our trip this year and snowfalls in the evening!!
snow report
Another awesome day! We took the Ardent bubble up to meet friends in Lindarets - had a few trips up the Chaux Fleurie before heading down towards Pre la Joux - the snow is magnificent and in the sun it was just lovely on piste. We meandered over to Chatel - which was our mistake! Out of the sun and COLD, with some far bits of ice and .....MOGULS! We came back over and stopped for a quick lunch in the little restaurant on the Combes. Back over to Lindarets, the clouds began to clear and the last run down to the Ardent wasmost enjoyable and not too busy at all. We stopped at Happy Hour Bar in Ardent for a Choco-chaud and a beer for Mr NN before heading for our daily visit to Carrefour wink All in all - an ace day!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy