Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2022/2023 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead

@gavman99 both running according to FB.

The PdS app I have has an interactive map with open/closed lifts and runs. You don’t need to look at individual areas. Amazingly they have runs open back to Morzine and Les Gets.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Re. restaurants, all mentioned above are very good....the mobile van a new addition, need to order over phone as they take forever if you just rock up....all from fresh, great greasy burgers etc

I really shouldn't be pushing any more favourite spots as it's hard enough to get in these days, but one of the all time great fondue experiences has to be Fromagerie La Fruitière des Perrières.....lovely underground (literally) atmosphere, the best fondue, fun for bigger groups too if you can get a table.

L'Rmize has been my (very local) favourite since new young owners took it on about 4-5 years ago. Sushi across the road is good, and Le Becanerie nearby always another good option for something non savoyard.

Les Dures a Cuires is relatively new.....the one between Irish Pub and Barbylone on rue du centre....heard it's very good but haven't tried yet.

there are too many to list.....it's pretty competitive. And of course Baaji at the Chamois d'Or, can't leave my mates out
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also worth saying that on @andy from embsay's interactive piste map, there is an on / off toggle to show which pistes are open / closed.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks all.

PS - “both running according to FB”. What does FB mean ? I’m assuming not Facebook !
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep, @gavman99 - the Morzine Crew facebook group. Can be useful (if a bit cliquey/insular at times).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers. Have now joined the group.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andy from embsay wrote:
Can be useful (if a bit cliquey/insular at times).

Not half!! Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We were up at Avoriaz from Ardent this morning - in the gondola at 0905. We walked straight on and beat the crowds. There was great skiing up off the top of the Cases 6 PAX chair, both on the French side back down to the bottom of the chair and over the Swiss side down to Les Crosets. The snowline was almost exactly level with the base of the Cases chair from my estimations - 1718m. We finished at 1145 by which time the car park at Ardent was full and folks were parking on the side of the road even lower than the hamlet. Parking shocker.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@fatmansan, good work, I was tempted to do the same but my family wasn't quite ready to race up at the crack of dawn.
Taking them to LG instead tomorrow as punishment.

Precipitation amounts are building for 29-30, snow into rain, amounts still uncertain
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the restaurant recommendations all, much appreciated. We’re actually staying at the Chamois so we’ll give their Indian a try.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pamski wrote:
@franga, we enjoyed a very good dinner at La Biskatcha last Friday. We generally enjoy the R’Mize but couldn’t get a table there. Not sure that is a family type place though. The Piste Noire at the Marmotte hotel has now become a vegetarian place.
The Boomerang was very busy when we walked past. And friends ate at the Tyrol on Christmas Eve and said it was good, their pizzas were enjoyed earlier in the week.

Mrs F and I had a lovely meal and a cracking bottle of red at La R’Mize in the summer. Glad we left the teenagers in the hotel with a takeaway sushi …
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
polo wrote:
@fatmansan, good work, I was tempted to do the same but my family wasn't quite ready to race up at the crack of dawn.
Taking them to LG instead tomorrow as punishment.

Precipitation amounts are building for 29-30, snow into rain, amounts still uncertain

What do you reckon the FL will be @polo. Bergfex are suggesting 1,600 meters. Great for Avoriaz.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@fatmansan,
Well done on the early start today.
I’m currently staying in Prodains and we were on Tour chair lift at 9am this morning and bombed straight over to Les Crossets.
Some nice quiet pistes in our first couple of hours.
We are thinking of heading to Plaine Dranse 1st thing on Wednesday.
Has anyone on here been to Plaine Dranse/Pre La Joux…. Early, early early the last couple of days?
I’m a little concerned it might be mobbed because of the issues with the chair lift slide on the ‘up and over lift’ near Linga forcing everyone in Chatel using pre la joux???
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@@247snowman, PLJ will be busy as the Super Châtel area is now only running the beginner drag lifts from the gondola. This is PDS busiest week of the season.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Ozboy, cheers
snow conditions
Any idea if it will be much quieter from 3rd to 7th Jan ?
ski holidays
Noticeably quieter as schools start going back
snow conditions
Anyone know if Súper Morzine is running in the morning?
ski holidays
And (last question!) .. what are the easiest blues in Avoriaz aside from the ones towards SM? We arrived today and were planning to get our ski legs back on Pleney or SM but probably need to go higher.
snow conditions
@Soozm, the blues down from the ridge into Lindarets are nice - turn left past the top of the Stash (Star Wars) and ignore the left turn down to Ardent is very steady. The other blue that loops round the other way and goes past the Lechere lift is nice and wide though a wee bit steeper.
snow report
Soozm wrote:
Anyone know if Súper Morzine is running in the morning?

No reason why not - it was being repaired this morning but I’d expect it’ll run tomorrow.
snow report
Thank you @Andy - really helpful!!
snow conditions
Someone on Facebook said they closed Super Morzine in order to refit bike holders to the lift, so mountain biking could resume while there is no snow. I couldn't work out if they were being serious or it was a joke though!

Morzine are putting on some other non-skiing events too, such as falconry displays at the top of the Pointe de Nyon. (So the chair up there is running for pedestrian access and access to the falconry displays.)
latest report
@denfinella that was a joke - the Zore chairlift and Tetras run have been open for skiists.

The falconry displays are outside the Nyon restaurants near the top of the téléphérique - they use those odd little platforms with steps. The chairlift’s running for pedestrians to access the viewing platform at the top (the eagle’s step).
snow conditions
@andy from embsay, thanks for clarifying!

Quite fancy watching the falconry displays if they are still happening next month - whether conditions are good or bad. I assumed they were at the top of the chairlift partly because there is a nice link between "Eagle's Step" and falconry / eagles. My bad.
snow report
andy from embsay wrote:
@denfinella that was a joke - the Zore chairlift and Tetras run have been open for skiists.

The falconry displays are outside the Nyon restaurants near the top of the téléphérique - they use those odd little platforms with steps. The chairlift’s running for pedestrians to access the viewing platform at the top (the eagle’s step).

I’m not surprised the red Combe is not open yet (if that’s the case). The terrain at the top is rocky and the run path is strewn with pieces of small rock and slate. Mrs F decided to walk down it with the 15Y old in 35C heat in August whilst the 12Y old and I took the steeper but more scenic route through the woods on the right as you descend. She looked like she’d finished a 12-hour shift at a steelworks plant when we were reunited at the top of the telepherique.
snow conditions
@denfinella, i think they run all winter (and summer). It’s a nice sunny spot on a nice day - and the viewing platform is great.
latest report
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
nevis1003 wrote:
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
nevis1003 wrote:
it's too low and unreliable now.

Rubbish.

Yawn, well you do run a ski business there, so I suppose your are hardly objective.

Not sure what you think that has to do with it. The fact is that with something like 300km of piste above 1800m it's anything but low, and recent years have been consistently good, so your blanket statement appears to be based on nothing at all.

Last year was awful there, and this year not looking great. PDS is very low compared to VT or Zermatt, for example no skiing above 2200m, that's the issue. Top of PDS equals village level in Val Thorens.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@nevis1003, no, last year was great, nov, dec, early Jan, early feb, and even fresh snow apr 9th according to my records. Best start to a season since 12/13.

@franga, Thursday evening to Friday morning should see snow down to 1500m but FL quickly climbs to 2400 so you’d have to be quick. Late Friday into Sat not so good.

Some better looking fantasy output around 8-10th Jan. Tentative signs the euro high could move west and tilt the flow axis NW-SE. Exactly what we need to see…..no point in cold easterly at this stage, will only be good for snow cannons and sheps windshield. We need to see windshields much more difficult to access.
ski holidays
Agree @polo - last season was great. I was out maybe 6 times and other than easter weekend (which was v late) we had great conditions. My daughter was out first week of April and had fresh snow two or three days.
ski holidays
nevis1003 wrote:

Last year was awful there.

Give my regards to planet Troll.
latest report
I’ve sacked off next week’s trip to Morzine. Think we will do a couple of days in CH if we can.
snow report
@nevis1003, @polo, viewing from Chamonix at least, and withstanding that a single valley's distance can make a bif difference, last year was certainly not awful, but equally not great. Far from a classic season. Saved by the 3-4 actual dumps we had being pretty substantial, but otherwise rather dry in between. Skiing very old snow at times.
latest report
nevis1003 wrote:
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
nevis1003 wrote:
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
nevis1003 wrote:
it's too low and unreliable now.

Rubbish.

Yawn, well you do run a ski business there, so I suppose your are hardly objective.

Not sure what you think that has to do with it. The fact is that with something like 300km of piste above 1800m it's anything but low, and recent years have been consistently good, so your blanket statement appears to be based on nothing at all.

Last year was awful there, and this year not looking great. PDS is very low compared to VT or Zermatt, for example no skiing above 2200m, that's the issue. Top of PDS equals village level in Val Thorens.

Had 3 long weekends in Les Gets last season (mid-Jan / early Feb / mid-March). Top to bottom cover every time. Everything open. Good to excellent snow depending on altitude, aspect and time of day. Lovely lunches in the sun. Vibrant town at night. Friendly locals. Paradise.
snow report
nevis1003 wrote:
I stopped going to the PDS about 4 years ago, after a couple of seasons working there, it's too low and unreliable now.

4 seasons ago? 2018? I was there in Feb 18 and it was spectacular. We also were skiing right up until the last lift closed for the season on 14th April and the conditions were fantastic.
latest report
nevis1003 wrote:
under a new name wrote:
@nevis1003,
Quote:

too low and unreliable now

?? Has it changed altitude? It was low and unreliable in early season in 1956.

Some people think the weather has changed as opposed to the resort, I give it a wide berth now, it's unreliable all winter, just too low. Even when there is good snow it never lasts long. A green Les Gets is common.

HTF can.you comment on last season if you have given PDS a wide berth? Please go back to Zetmatt or VT thread. Bye bye..
snow report
Deleted

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 28-12-22 21:47; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I'm starting to get worried about our trip to Morzine now on the 14th Jan - I know its a long way off in weather terms, but its been a pretty poor start hasn't it!
snow report
@elefantfresh - it may not be classic conditions (though as @polo says there’s hopeful signs for the end of next week). But it’ll be quiet that week so you’ll have plenty to go at in Avoriaz and Chatel even if there’s no more snow.

I’m out for a long weekend on 5 Jan and I’m expecting to have plenty to do, and maybe even a bit of fresh before the weekend is out.
ski holidays
Well, that sounds promising - So Morzine may have very little for us, but we can just head up to Avoriaz every day instead?
We didn't purchase our tickets yet so maybe just get Avoriaz tickets without Morzine/LesGets access?
Does it take much time/effort to get up to Avoriaz from the super chair? Ie: from loading to clipping in
Fingers x something happens next week - what a torturous start to the season this has been...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy