Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes - Winter 2008-2009

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I'm going to be in L2A 3 times this season. First trip coming up on Thursday for a long weekend (can't wait), another in Feb half term and a final week at Easter. I'm going to be skiing for a total of 14 days (weather allowing). Does anyone have a recommendation for the best lift pass options? I used to buy them from the Annapurna hotel (pretty sure that was the name - hotel down at the entrance to the resort on the right as you come in) and got a pretty good discount, but they are not doing the same thing this year and I know the lift passes have now all changed to the proximity reader type things.
Is is possible to buy a 14 day pass for non consecutive days? Puzzled

Thanks All
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi all,

Thanks to all posters on this thread, great to be updated with current weather and pics.

Booked to go to Chalet Carlines in 3 weeks time and just wondered if anyone new whereabouts in resort this is? Seem to be a few contradicting locations ranging from far left of resort to near the diable gondola?

Was looking at this resort map for reference http://www.les2alpes.com/en/hiver/resort-information.html

Also, if I can try my luck, how long will it take to get from chalet to main Gondola that goes up to glacier?

Cheers!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This suggests it's likely to be the one near the Diable if it has Venosc valley views:

Quote:
Chalet Carlines, Les Deux Alpes

Traditional and cosy, this wood and stone chalet offers stunning views over the Venosc Valley, and is conveniently situated close to the lift
(from http://www.igluski.com/les-deux-alpes/chalet-carlines_p3277)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Dome run at Les Deux Alpes
Blue skies and sun prevail. On piste conditions vary from good to very good - and in the case of the Dome (see picture - crowded innit?) and Signal, excellent. There must be powder around, judging by the fat skis I saw being hired this morning - but you sure must have to look for it. OTOH, there is some very skiable off-piste - had a delightful bimble around Petit Diable area yesterday. Loads of SHs in town snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PMNorris, there are non non-consecutive tickets this season. However, discounts are available on day passes if you buy them online well in advance - this may be your best option for your long weekends. Have a look at the website.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks everyone for your wishes. Ioda has been shut in since 18.00 today when I got home! I don't want to have to go through that again. As Achilles says it was lovely today and I came down the Grande Pente centre - see photo which had big round wide apart bumps on it. Very Happy Snow crumbling underfoot ... couldn't be nicer really even though we need some fresh. I hear that there has been some sort of chemical transformation of the 'gobelets' which is making powder out of the old snow. Shocked Shocked Jutta told me - honest.

Butterfly, Kristof is skiing on his skis and happy with them. He skied the second and third parts of Posettes in his lesson yesterday very comfortably - after he'd told me he'd wait until he was better to try off piste! Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski, I remember that bit of off piste you got me onto Shocked Shocked Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's been very pleasant again today, but I was disappointed not to ski Chalance as planned with Jutta and one of her skimen Guerrick. Sad However we now hear that it's really bad and rocks everywhere so poor Achilles won't be doing it again. Sad the point was to see if it was OK .... Anyway I decided to come down by the Sapins for a change as I always do grande Pente or Posettes (much nicer and not so bumpy). en route I spotted that they'd pisted l'Y which was irritating as I'd have gone there, but it was all over huge bumps yesterday. Anyway the snow on Sapins was nice but there were altogether too many large moguls for my liking, and lots of bare patches in the trees. (see the highlighted area of the photo) - sideslipping a must. wink wink Laughing The other pic is just a jolly view looking up the mountain from the Cretes.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Les Deux Alpes
And here's a pic of LDA in all its glory from the Super Venosc side. Just gorgeous. Pistes still in good condition - though thin in places. And I did come across a small shoal of pebbles in the snow just as I started to pop down to Les Cretes from 2600. As a mere paysan I was prepared to ski L'Y for my final run home - and I thought it very pleasant, in good condition, with hardly anyone on it. Spent most of the day having a great time with a couple of SHs - can't remember their sH (as opposed to real) names, though. Embarassed

Disappointed about the Chalence news, though. Sad

But hey - I'm in the Alps, the sun's out and there's good skiing to be had - Ill save the moan for another day. snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
achilles wrote:
... the sun's out ...

Amazing for 16.52 on 13 January - you're very lucky indeed. It must be shining out of your crevasse.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, Le Y was very good today, guess its been bashed as they've closed Diable for a bit, may as well close it till there's new snow IMO, was out with gorilla, kristof and scottish skier ended up knackered trying to keep up with them Laughing

I thought Chalence was ok on Sunday, better than most of the off piste atm.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Diable is scheduled to reopen on Thursday, currently closed for maintenance.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lizzard, yeah but to be honest I can't see it being worth opening till there's more snow on it. All they've done in the last two days is drive a few bashers up and down without the grooming bit on the back. There are stones everywhere and I can't imagine them fixing it in the next 24hrs unless they can get some extra snow from somewhere.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Swirly, I think you'd be surprised how much they can bring it back - the thing was that it was too thin to be pisted. Yes - I know, but Etienne who mostly makes his living doing off piste courses reckons it's rubbish - rocks everywhere!

I would have skied l'Y if I'd realised it'd been bashed - much preferable, but I hadn't looked at it since yesterday when it deffo looked too much for my old legs. rolling eyes Sapins moguls at least had some space in between them. Very Happy

Off to LG tomorrow. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Swirly, It almost looked like they'd been pulling snow off it to dump elsewhere.
ski holidays
easiski, LG?? Le Grave? what will you do there in these dry times? Has swirly got you climbing ice? don't do it, it's a madman's game Skullie
latest report
 brian
brian
red 27, no, she's going to buy a mobile. rolling eyes
snow conditions
brian, Crying or Very sad

you are better at weather than cutting sarcasm, although you're good at that too...

How are the Gnomes?
latest report
Can anyone recommend a good place in LDA to get your ski's serviced? I'm after somewhere that looks after your planks - does it by hand rather than throwing it through a machine a couple of times.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

B
ski holidays
bucking bronco, yeah: me! Seriously though I can do them depending what you want doing, angles etc. PM me if interested.
snow conditions
easiski, it was the only off piste I did on Sunday that I didn't hit a rock on! It was pretty tracked out though. Came down Sapins at lunch time today, thought the bumps were horrific big and icy on the backs. Snow's holding up still but there are more bare patches forming and the Grand Colouir was closed today, it wasn't too bad yesterday if you avoided the middle of the steepest section. I'm getting more confident that we should get a decent dump soon late Sunday/Monday which will be really really good news.

How was LG?
ski holidays
i am out on the 17th so it's looking good for some good snow judging by the forecast atm Smile can't wait
snow conditions
Swirly, snow was in good condition - there was a little breakable crust toward the bottom - the path down the ravine was a little scraped - but the main run was delightful.
snow report
La Grave was really, really nice. I thought the path was way better than I expected, and better than some of the times I've skied it in the past. Bit dodgy on the last meadow, but the snow was OK. Generally, apart from about 10 turns (if that) we had packed crumbly powder all the was down. Of course they still need a fair bit of snow to fill out the little gullies, but for mid Jan it's very good. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

My phone camera wasn't working, but Mogs and Achilles took lots of photos so hopefully some will be on here tomorrow. Very Happy

Swirly, Etienne said that getting in 'the lock' was very hard as there was only one track and it was narrow. If you were to either side of it you were in the rocks. We did ask him today ... did you really not find it any problem? I also heard the Couloir Electric was very good BTW if you like extreme.
latest report
La Grave from the car park
At La Grave, easiski decides she can bring us all the way down .
ski holidays
achilles, Very Happy
But also Sad 'cos I wish I was there. I am at last getting on earning some money instead.
latest report
I was up on cretes today and popped into the lower part of the combe du thuit. It was fine mostly, but there were a few harder patches around, also the snow on Grande Pente, while still very nice, was a tad harder than the other day. Sad Hopefully the snow will come just in time at the weekend (if the forecasts are true). Pic looking up at l'Y and Diable from the bottom of the Stade. Diable is now open again. achilles apparently skied it - hopefully he'll tell you all about it later.
latest report
View up the galcier at Les Deux Alpes
lampbus wish you could have made it, but glad business is going well.

The weather remains beautiful and sunny, but the runs are beginning to get hard-packed - as easiski notes. Some runs are still delightful - The Dome and Signal spring to mind (indeed the glacier area with the tow bars was really good) - but whilst there is plenty of skiing, quite a bit is firm under ski. I found my self skidding a bit with my Missions at the start of Envers du Signal - and turning on the few small powdery areas of snow.

Diable had a warning notice about thin snow and skiing slowly at the entrance. In practice it was good, fairly well groomed hard pack, and safe to turn on. Despite the speed warning, I was carved up by a boarder - almost face to face. Not on his blind side, he must have seen me from some distance, but did not bother to change his line.

The snow has got so firm that I have put aside my beloved Missions, and hired some Race Tigers for tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if my legs last the day. Madeye-Smiley

Picture is looking up from the Glaciers restaurant at lunchtime.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski wrote:
La Grave was really, really nice. I thought the path was way better than I expected, and better than some of the times I've skied it in the past. Bit dodgy on the last meadow, but the snow was OK. Generally, apart from about 10 turns (if that) we had packed crumbly powder all the was down. Of course they still need a fair bit of snow to fill out the little gullies, but for mid Jan it's very good. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

My phone camera wasn't working, but Mogs and Achilles took lots of photos so hopefully some will be on here tomorrow. Very Happy .......

My camera battery failed part way down the run - what I have start here. Hope to get some more pics from Mogs.
snow conditions
easiski, if it's the bit I'm thinking of then yes it's pretty narrow but only one or 2 jump turns before it opens out nicely and on skis it would be possible to traverse well to skiers left to find a wider line instead. Scottish Skier likes the rocks as they make him less home sick wink Couloir Electrique looks fun but possibly a bit much for me till I've done some other ones first there have been a few tracks down it though. The guide says it's only 30 degrees but it looks steeper from the lift.

Considering there's not much snow about the pistes are still in really good nick, still not been down Diable what they've done appears to be the removal of all the snow from the middle and split the piste in two, inventive!
snow report
Swirly, I don't know, but Electrique looks waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy more than that to me. Shocked

Today felt really cold - I don't know why - the temps were apparently OK, but maybe just because there was a bit more cloud around Confused Anyway, as Swirly, says the pistes are holding up very well, but the snow we're supposed to get from the weekend on will be very welcome for sure. I went down Diable with a snowHead lurker today and it was fine. Hard but no probs - they've done a fantastic job. they only farmed the snow high up to put it lower down, so it isn't really split in two. 2 pics: one looking up Diable from the bottom (L) and the other looking up l'Y from the bottom. Very Happy
snow conditions
lampbus wrote:
achilles, Very Happy
But also Sad 'cos I wish I was there. I am at last getting on earning some money instead.

Very Happy glad you are earning some money
snow report
Les Deux Alpes at lunchtime 16 January 2009
Gours Bis had a sign saying something like 'little snow'. In practice this meant the steep pitch was heavily mogulled. Poisettes had an area of machine broken snow - maybe there had been some snow farming. Area immeditely beside that was fine to ski down - crisp, but took an edge. Pisteurs doing fantastic work. Here's what the mountain looked like from near the Jandri lifts at lunchtime.
snow report
I want to be sitting on that table eating a crepe from the hatch! Only 12 weeks to go!! Confused
snow conditions
garethjomo, Only 7 weeks to go for me! 50{edit: 49 now!} sleeps & counting snowHead snowHead

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 17-01-09 9:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Only 2 weeks 6 days to go for me, Cant wait!!!!!
snow report
57 days to go for me, Very Happy
latest report
It was my first day off for 3 weeks today, so I didn't do much Very Happy No photo either I'm afraid, however it was cloudy with sunny intervals and much warmer. It really does look like a change in the weather. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
easiski, hope you had a relaxing day Smile

fragy, see you there!
ski holidays
this is what I've just seen on the glacier webcam - stunning
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy