Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2022/2023 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
Currently sitting in Les Teappeurs in Avoriaz watching the light drizzle turn into heavy rain.
It’s not very nice at the moment. Weather apps still staying it’s going to turn to snow this afternoon….
It’s currently about 5 degrees…
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
andy from embsay wrote:
It sounds like it’s reasonable skiing up high in Avoriaz, Lindarets and Plaine Dranse - we have a mate going out to our place tomorrow and he asked a similar question - he’s decided to go for it and just ski Avoriaz. We’re in Morzine - did you say you’re staying in Les Gets? That makes the logistics more complicated if they do shut that side. The signs are that up high could get a few freshen-ups between now and new year.

We’re out on 5/1 and are definitely expecting to get some decent skiing in.

I don’t think there’s any refund on full area passes as there will be at least some of the area running (and of course as it stands they’re still running quite a lot of the lifts - just Chamossiere and Nyon closed on the Les Gets side, I think?) They even had two home runs back to Morzine open yesterday*.

Fingers crossed for you!!

* according to the PdS app they have them (and a run back to Les Gets) open today as well.

@andy from embsay, Merry Christmas. I dropped a very polite note to the lift company asking what their T+Cs are (out of interest if for nothing else). We're going to stick with it. This is just a bonus long weekend as the kids' school is shut in 3 Fridays (we have another 3 longer trips booked). We're staying at the Chamois d"Or and so far they've been absolutely great - it'd have been really off to let go of 2 rooms less than 3 weeks out. I've moved our transfer to my lads weekend to Flaine in early February and have just hired an estate car for £250. This gives the option to head to Ardent (I think you suggested this v Prodains) first thing or if the sh*t hits the fan drive to Le Chable (for Verbier), Chamonix or even Courmayeur. But you're right, I think Avoriaz should get a couple of small top-ups in the next week and temps look to be dropping from the 8th (I know it's a long way out). Fingers crossed for all of us.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
franga wrote:
I dropped a very polite note to the lift company asking what their T+Cs are (out of interest if for nothing else).

Let us know if you get a reply, though I agree they're unlikely to refund full area passes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
andy from embsay wrote:

We arrive 7th, first ski on the 8th. I'm deciding that you are an all-knowing expert and all will be well. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Charliegolf, sadly not. That’s Polo. I’m just optimistic!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
franga wrote:
Does anyone know if PdS lift passes have any cancellation terms attached to them? We bought area lift passes during the Black Friday sale but looking at the snow conditions we are debating whether to cut our losses and either stay at home or perhaps head to Verbier. It’d also be interesting what would happen if the lift co decided to close all lifts out of Les Gets and Morzine. I know it’s extremely unlikely but operating lifts, shovelling snow and trying to maintain linked runs is an expensive business.

It is unrealistic to expect a refund as the lack of snow is not the resorts fault. This was debated a lot during covid cancellations. There is sufficient skiing available and reports from the ground Chatel are not too bad considering the amount of rainfall. Pistes that are managed with artificial snow are quite robust and do not wash away. I think stick with it and make the most of what is available on and off the mountain.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Charliegolf wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:

We arrive 7th, first ski on the 8th. I'm deciding that you are an all-knowing expert and all will be well. Very Happy

We are skiing 5-8th and all will be well. There will be snow and possibly long lunches Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Went to Mont Caly on the Mont Chery side of Les Gets this morning. Normally park at Les Places and last couple of km is a cross country ski track. Today tarmac all the way up to the restaurant. had hoped to do some ski touring from there but it was all green fields. Looking across the valley there was a narrow strip of piste open down to Les Perrieres.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It did start snowing up above Avoriaz. But it was very wet. We decided to call it a day and now sitting at the top Ardent lift watching the rain bucket down.
Hoping that snow line falls down to about 1500 which is desperately needed. But at least Avoriaz and above will get a layer of fresh stuff.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ozboy wrote:
franga wrote:
Does anyone know if PdS lift passes have any cancellation terms attached to them? We bought area lift passes during the Black Friday sale but looking at the snow conditions we are debating whether to cut our losses and either stay at home or perhaps head to Verbier. It’d also be interesting what would happen if the lift co decided to close all lifts out of Les Gets and Morzine. I know it’s extremely unlikely but operating lifts, shovelling snow and trying to maintain linked runs is an expensive business.

It is unrealistic to expect a refund as the lack of snow is not the resorts fault. This was debated a lot during covid cancellations. There is sufficient skiing available and reports from the ground Chatel are not too bad considering the amount of rainfall. Pistes that are managed with artificial snow are quite robust and do not wash away. I think stick with it and make the most of what is available on and off the mountain.

Agreed. I just asked what the T+Cs are (snow or no snow) as a cancellation clause should be embedded in this type of transaction (purchase in advance).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Does anybody more able than I view the outlook for mid Jan?
I hope that conditions change for the better but might consider a resort change if the outlook is bleak
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@kinger123,

Way too far out to say. A week is a long time in weather forecasting.

On a different note, I hear the Plaine Dranse area is skiing well, all things considered.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@franga, historically, no refunds if any lifts (even one bunny lift at the bottom) operating.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@franga, historically, no refunds if any lifts (even one bunny lift at the bottom) operating.

I've always had it in my mind that if the lift co can get at least 2 lifts running, serving at least 2 non-nursery pistes, then no refund, irrespective of resort.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Since Covid things have changed a bit. Many places will refund full lift pass price if bought in advance and cancelled prior to starting date. The problem historically has been holiday insurance and cancellation. if one piste open then good luck claiming.
snow report
On a positive note (maybe) the Morzine tennis courts now have their nets in place!
snow conditions
We're arriving in Morzine tomorrow and have everything crossed that it gets cold enough at night to run some of the snow cannons. We can access Avoriaz but have a couple of beginners in the groups with lessons booked at Pleney and it would be nice to ski near each other for at least most of the time.
snow report
@Soozm,

I can’t see them running the cannons in Morzine. It would be pointless.
ski holidays
Soozm wrote:
We're arriving in Morzine tomorrow and have everything crossed that it gets cold enough at night to run some of the snow cannons. We can access Avoriaz but have a couple of beginners in the groups with lessons booked at Pleney and it would be nice to ski near each other for at least most of the time.

Can you rebook lessons for Avoriaz?

That’s where the majority of the skiing is at the moment.
snow report
@andy from embsay, no such thing, I’ve made a few bad calls this season

Unfortunately the one about green fields to mid Jan is looking more likely with each passing day. Look at the GFS ensembles, the mean is above historical average right out to day 16. While the back end of that will move around, it’s extraordinary how consistent the signal is. Barely one ensemble member out of 50 goes below zero at 1500m. This is repeated across other models NOAA, ECM, GEM.

For whatever reason we can’t break out of this pattern of lows east Atlantic and high pressure over Europe. The further south the lows sink the more mild air is pumped towards alps. I can’t recall such a poor and prolonged pattern for cold, nevermind snow…..to low elevations. If anything things may actually get worse, as this week we have a few small snowfalls around 1700-1800m, but it’s likely to turn drier post new year.

I have 3 groups out visiting mid Jan to early Feb, but none of them want to cancel. We’ll travel to higher resorts, do less skiing and have fun doing other activities (hiking, biking, bbq?). Plenty of time for change into new year, but right now it looks hopeless below 1800m.

Need a major shake up, maybe a strat warming, or scandi high….I’ll keep watching for any positive signs

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 26-12-22 18:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@Fridge03, @zzz, It's some of the kids in our group who have ski school (not mine) and the school is still sticking to Morzine. They might rebook after the first couple of days.

It's a shame, especially for all the dependent businesses of course.
latest report
@polo and we’ll keep an eye out for your posts!! I’ve got one short trip with family (5-9 Jan), and have a couple of blue run skiers with us, so enough up high to keep them busy with a few early Folie trips, then not out til 27/1 by which time hopefully everything will have improved.

Failing that there’s always the Tour in July…
snow conditions
@polo, eyes on the prize here too but I think you may well be right in that assertion. I’m back on Zwift this week in prep for Etape Caledonia in May and Etape du Tour in July… like @andy from embsay, says, the Tour will be back in town soon enough Smile.

In the meantime, I’m going to head up to Avoriaz first thing tomorrow to see what’s what. The Terche this afternoon was wet and windy. I felt for the kids but they came home from ski school happy, so maybe it’s not all bad?!
snow conditions
Can anyone post a YouTube video of snow dances? I’ve got 5 weeks before I go, but I already beginning it think I looks shaky
snow conditions
franga wrote:
Car hire prices at GVA seem to have gone down quite substantially in the last week or so - I was put off by the 3-day hire cost of an estate car at the beginning of the month when the lowest I could find was circa £350 with Enterprise. The same category car is now £197 (with Enterprise). I know there are a lot of factors at play here but perhaps the weather / snow conditions are putting last-minute bookers off?

Thanks for the tip. I’ve just cancelled and rebooked 3 long weekend car rentals (CH side) for Jan and March and saved around £250 in total. I always book from the genevaairport.org site which provides free cancellation upto 48 hours prior to rental.
latest report
Ozboy wrote:
franga wrote:
Car hire prices at GVA seem to have gone down quite substantially in the last week or so - I was put off by the 3-day hire cost of an estate car at the beginning of the month when the lowest I could find was circa £350 with Enterprise. The same category car is now £197 (with Enterprise). I know there are a lot of factors at play here but perhaps the weather / snow conditions are putting last-minute bookers off?

Thanks for the tip. I’ve just cancelled and rebooked 3 long weekend car rentals (CH side) for Jan and March and saved around £250 in total. I always book from the genevaairport.org site which provides free cancellation upto 48 hours prior to rental.

No problem at all!
snow report
Ice on the car this morning at 1100m. Promising sign.
ski holidays
@shep, webcams certainly look a lot better on the Avoriaz side, though the top of Pleney doesn’t seem to have got a sausage.

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hey @polo - quick question on the ensembles graph if you don’t mind. The white line on here is the average of all the runs, the red is the long term historical

average - but what do the green (operational) and blue (control) lines refer to?
latest report
Currently sitting at Igloo Bar just above Avoriaz.

What a difference a bit of snow makes. We headed up early from Ardent before the masses arrived.maybe about 10cm up top. It’s skiing superbly up top…..however…..the masses make it….interesting. Far too many people who shouldn’t be on a nursery slope, trying to come down red and cut up blues. Already seen lots of accidents. I suppose that’s what happens when pretty much the whole of the PdS descends on the limited slopes around Avoriaz.

But, the brown patches are less. And everything looks better with a hint of white on it. Hopefully what they have will now see the resort through to the new year.
ski holidays
Sounds like you’re making the very best of it, @Fridge03, - good to hear. It sonds super-busy, but as you say a combination of as peak week and limited opening.

Was looking at the webcam at the top of Zore - massive difference from yesterday. And a possibility of another small top up on 30/12.
snow report
Don’t get me wrong, it’s s good skiing. Just got to pick your way round the piles of bodies Very Happy

Longest queue has been 10 mins so far. So not the worst ever. We are heading down about 2 for a late lunch as we getting picked up by Skiidy at 5 to go home.
ski holidays
andy from embsay wrote:
Sounds like you’re making the very best of it, @Fridge03, - good to hear. It sonds super-busy, but as you say a combination of as peak week and limited opening.

Was looking at the webcam at the top of Zore - massive difference from yesterday. And a possibility of another small top up on 30/12.

Good news - there's also a hint of a cooling down to seasonal averages with some precipitation in FI ...
latest report
@andy from embsay, the Op run (green) is just the main model output, which is at a higher resolution than the other 50 ensemble members, so it's likely to be more accurate than all the others. The control is like the Op just not as highly defined, ie less grid points. Then all the other 49 lines are just small adjustments to the initial control data. There are all useful, but I would rely on Op and Control out to day 7/8, and then the mean after that. The closer they all are together the more accurate the forecast is likely to be (ie above or below historical temperature). Don't forget GFS is only ranked joint 3rd/4th with GEM, after ECM (1) and UKMO (2).

Avoriaz looks nice and snowline was about 1750m last night as far as I can tell. Still on for another small top up 29th to similar levels before blow torch conditions take over into early New Year. Positive signs that temps will drop again quickly. Nothing is set in stone of course beyond 3/4th Jan, just need a little bit of luck.
snow report
Cheers @polo. Warming up into new year but dry so hopefully less damage?

I look at all of them but seem to remember you’d said ECM is European so arguably more “local”.
snow conditions
@andy from embsay, yeah fingers crossed the warm precip will just miss us to the north. It is the Euro model but doesn't matter, as it's more accurate across the entire northern hemisphere, on average. It happens to have the coldest outlook at the moment for 5/6th via scandi high so lets see if others follow its lead.

In other news, I can't book a table anywhere until Jan 3rd it seems.....

And another first for Les Gets...

https://www.connexionfrance.com/article/French-news/French-ski-resort-bans-cigarettes-on-pistes-in-European-first
latest report
@polo, we normally book a table at Biskatcha, Annapurna and Le Copeaux. In summer, Sush’Ski is our favourite. Immense sushi. Anywhere else you’d recommend for a nice family meal?
snow report
@franga, we enjoyed a very good dinner at La Biskatcha last Friday. We generally enjoy the R’Mize but couldn’t get a table there. Not sure that is a family type place though. The Piste Noire at the Marmotte hotel has now become a vegetarian place.
The Boomerang was very busy when we walked past. And friends ate at the Tyrol on Christmas Eve and said it was good, their pizzas were enjoyed earlier in the week.
ski holidays
@franga, fish & chips van at the Morzine end of Les Gets has a very good rating for those cant cook wont cook no tables free nights!
ski holidays
Hi. Are the Super Morzine and Prodains lifts open ? If I look in the Avoriaz section of the PDS app, it suggests both are open however if I look in the Morzine section, it says both are closed.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy