Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2011/12 snowreport

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, We are coming to Les Gets on the 7th of Jan and wondered if any of you locals could tell us if there are free buses to morzine and if there is a swimming pool /spa/sauna in Les Gets or Morzine. Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Easy answer to your 1st q: No.

But there is a bus that costs €1

http://www.valleedaulps.com/shuttles-aulps-valley-ski-bus-balad-aulps-bus-morzine-les-gets-montriond-avoriaz.html

And a new indoor pool has opened in morzine.

http://www.morzine-avoriaz.com/accueil-en-hiver.html
http://www.lesgets.com/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DaveMcSki, there is a spa at the Hotel Marmotte http://www.hotel-marmotte.com/uk/#detente-et-bien-etre.php - which is close to the bottom of the gondola and Chavannes Express.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It is pissing with rain again! Just took three idiots to the ardent- I turned back an found 30euro in the car park- winner!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not sure if the new indoor pool has opened yet in Morzine... seemed a bit delayed.
There is a fantastic massage lady who will come to your place though... wonderful stuff... her details are here... http://morzine-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=347&p=2160&hilit=massage&sid=9d3fcda3c9f58fa6b0aa55be306194ed#p2160
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
MrsFS and I went up to Ardent early; did two runs and gave it up for the bad job it was. The pistes were actually lovely and grippy, it was a rather "special" combination of rain / hail / snow / flat light and cloud.

A day to visit friends and drink coffee.

At least the freezing level is dropping. It's around 1 degree at the apartment now (it was 4 degrees earlier).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all your answers, sooo looking forward to it!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DaveMcSki, hope you enjoy it - we are travelling back to LG on the 7th after a quick return to UK tomorrow.
Its now 0 degrees at our chalet and seems to have finally decided to snow instead of rain/snow - I can see people on the poma at La Turche and coming down the Melezes but cannot see anything on the Mt Chery side of the valley through the cloud.
Lots of clearing up being done here after non-stop visitors since 20th December and meeting up with friends in Morzine later.
Lovely meal in the R'Mize in Les Gets yesterday evening - changed hands in the autumn and we have eaten there twice now. My OH particularly enjoyed the way the waitress stroked his shoulders when passing dishes round!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pamski, Mmm That sounds nice. I do like a tactile waitress
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pamski, Oh so your bringing the rain here! its forcast to be aweful tomorrow, Could I please ask you to leave the bad weather here when you return on the 7th? I still have your Chalet number, I know I will be guided on my first day the 8th, and once I have scheduled my lessons I'll call perhaps we can meet up, be great to see you both again.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
youngeratheart, that would be great - in fact got the date a little wrong, not much, but I will e mail you and let you know exactly when we are going to be where.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just been on the Avoriaz website and looked at the Webcams. Today is one of those days you would do anything to be out there. Cold, crisp, fresh snowfalls over night and bluebird day. If your out there, have a good one, looks amazing!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Has yesterday's rain knackered the snow low down though?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulio wrote:
Has yesterday's rain knackered the snow low down though?

Im in Manchester so i havent a clue, but up top it look sstunning. Piste bashers out at the top and no tracks anywhere, head high and you will be fine. Avoriaz are still reporting 160cm at the bottom!!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Avoriaz are still reporting 160cm at the bottom!!!
Let's hope it's not 160cm of rain-sodden snow that has frozen overnight wink
latest report
...which would be great news as a base to sit under the next snowfall, of course! But might be a bit iffy in the short term Smile
snow report
paulio wrote:
...which would be great news as a base to sit under the next snowfall, of course! But might be a bit iffy in the short term Smile
Yes that's right. Sometimes snow depth doesn't tell the whole story: 2m of snow might sound great, but if the top surface of the snow is highly polished hardpack or 10cm of windcrust it's not going to offer brilliant skiing.
ski holidays
Unless there's an 'inversion', which is where the hardpack/crust is at the bottom and all the fluffy stuff is on top.
latest report
paulio wrote:
Unless there's an 'inversion', which is where the hardpack/crust is at the bottom and all the fluffy stuff is on top.
Only way to tell is to dig a snowpit. You should make it a part of your daily warm-up activities. But try to make sure you dig one to the side of the piste rather than in the middle.
latest report
no, dig it in the middle,
it'll give the boarders somewhere to put their legs when they sit down there for a rest Happy
ski holidays
Hi everyone!

Can any of you lucky people who are out there today report on how the snow is at various altitudes after the last couple days' rain? It looks like there might be a bit more rain on the way, I hope not too much...

PS. I'm out on the 14th: can't wait!
snow conditions
Heading out 29th, cant wait either. Looks great on the cams.

Now i just need to get rid of the pain from gout in my right toe, not had an attack for years then it flairs up Crying or Very sad
latest report
Mate skied today and has just text one word "Brilliant". Enjoy
snow report
Mate skied today and has just text one word "Brilliant". Enjoy
snow report
Quote:

no, dig it in the middle,
it'll give the boarders somewhere to put their legs when they sit down there for a rest

Oi, don't start on the boarders.... it is not the tool they choose to use that makes someone a moron it is what they do with it, so do not tarnish us all Smile

Agree with the sentiment though, why sit in the middle of the piste to have a chat, why not move to the side ? Having said that skiers also have that moronic moments for example on the blue home runs (roads) they think it is ok to potter along in a line chatting away at 1 mile per hour. What skiers don't realise is if a board slows down you can not walk like you can on skis and it is impossible to get going again without a slope. The amount of times I have gone round a corner to find the whole path is blocked and I have had to stop. I then have to undo the board and walk for 5 minutes until I find somewhere appropriate to get going again.

Oh well, back to topic,
snow conditions
Still slightly off topic I'm afraid Embarassed . Please can someone pimp me some top Chocolat Chantilly stops in Les gets? They are a highlight of my 8 yr old's ski holidays so looking for some top tips!

For those of you that know the area we are benchmarking against Le Bouc Blanc above La Tania in 3Vs.

Don't be too long replying - heading off on 7th..... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
mheadbee wrote:
Oh well, back to topic,

Yes, please everybody - this is the weather/conditions thread. I get all exited about a potential new snow post only to find general chit chat that should really be in the resort review or piste forums.

Just saying. Thanks.
snow report
Snow Hound wrote:
Yes, please everybody - this is the weather/conditions thread. I get all exited about a potential new snow post only to find general chit chat that should really be in the resort review or piste forums.

Just saying. Thanks.

Appreciate the view Snow Hound. I completely agree with the principle. But in many years of this thread we've been completely incapable of complying Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In avoriaz at the moment. Has been snowing and raining for the last few days. Today was sunny. Conditions on piste are variable which would be consistent with rain. Main pistes well chopped up by 4 p.m. I'm sure that there would be some good piste riding in the mornings before the crowds descend as there has been a lot of snow in the last week.

Off piste is crusty under the newer snow. In short rain has degraded the snow.

Would need to get to higher altitude to avoid the rain degradation. Of course in Avoriaz those places are few and far between and the crowds have had the same idea if today was anything to go by.
latest report
Ski Tyke, Beanies on Rue du Bourg; La Paika (on the mountain) and Llotties at the top of the Nauchets lift out of the Les Gets bowl. If it's raining then any chocolate chaud tastes fantastic Happy
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni, thanks! Weather looked good on the cams today..... wink
ski holidays
Ski Tyke, The best by far I have found is the Yeti at the top of the Chavannes bubble in Les Gets - levels of Chantilly that defy gravity for 4euro snowHead

Although for a treat - Dotties on Rue du Bourg rivals Beanies, marshmallows, cream and a flake!
latest report
Blue skies and snow was great, although icy patches did start to appaear in busy places with big bumps forming....Coupe du Monde was a definite example as my client found out!!!
latest report
Looked lovely as we leftthis morning, more snow is good snow....
ski holidays
Unlike 'news'.
latest report
I drove over to Les Gets for the day today. It was beautifully sunny, and the snow was absolutely top notch for almost the whole day.....grippy and well groomed on piste, particularly once in the sun, and soft and fluffy off the sides. It really was fantastic and there was seemingly little evidence of any rain damage. Even the last run down to where the car was parked at Les Perrieres was excellent so late in the day, so good I had another go with virtually the last lift ride allowed back up the mountain.

The only areas that were the exception to this was the very bottom of Mont Chery which was starting to pick up a few brown patches, and the top of the Chamossiere which late in the day was a mixture of boiler plate and big piles of soft powder - it probably was fine first thing in the morning, but late in the day it was potential leg breaking stuff.

Other than the very bottom, Mont Chery was in great condition in particular, and as always the quietest area. It's a pity they still have a few ponderous chairlifts.
ski holidays
We went up to the Nyon this morning - it was snowing pretty hard up there and the snow was lovely, we were stuck on blues for most of the morning, I can now say Mr NN can link turns and carve! The red down to the car park was closed so we went for a hot chocolate and as we came out they opened it so we went all the way down to the car park. It was a bit slushy but pretty damn lovely really and so quiet!
snow report
Nadenoodlee, Just think how much better it would have been on Pretty Skis Twisted Evil
ski holidays
andyph wrote:
jellylegs, note also that the petrol at the Super-U as you enter Taninges from the Vallee Vert is often the cheapest for miles. Perhaps snowHead s in the area can confirm if this is still the case.

Yes, except for......... Carrefour at Cluses Very Happy

Les Blanchots next to Chamossiere Express has excellent hot choc with enormous amounts of cream at €3.60. I usually have a rum in mine instead for the same price Very Happy He's a lovely man who hasn't taken advantage of the extra crowds that that damn lift has brought to that area Toofy Grin
snow report
Lou, You talk of the glamorous couple.....I always stop there, mainly because the Vin Chaud according to my Missus is the best in the Alps.
Even if we are not stoppping for a drink we stop for a chat with them!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy