Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2022/23 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Valkyrie wrote:
Any recommendations for boot fitters in Hinterglemm? My wife either needs a boot punched or a new pair of boots.

After my “cancelled” appointment at Hagleiter I went to Gumpold in Hinterglemm- very good service. This was the store at the junction of Dorfstraße and Schwarzacherweg.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 10-01-23 17:55; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great day skiing, started on Hochalm then moved over to the Zwolferkogel, visibility was variable, conditions very enjoyable

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arriving Saturday so very grateful for pictures with lots of white on them! We are going a bit left field this year and staying up at the Seidl Alm near the top of Schonleteinbahn. Any tips or bear traps to avoid (apart from don't miss the last lift!)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Yorksboy, thanks for the recommendation. She tried a lot of boots in Gumpold but none were quite right. Settled on a pair of Fischers from Heli’s and very happy with them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@radar, it’s an amazing the difference a day can make. Stayed local in Hinterglemm today but the snow was tremendous.

snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Has anyone stayed at the Mitterer Apartments? The opportunity to take dinner at the hotel at a reasonable price (website says 23 euros per night for what i assume would be the set 3 course one) might just sway some friends who usually want a half board hotel.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Klamm Franzer, cheers! Will get a few pennies out in advance!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi snowheads, great to see the arrival of new snow! Visiting the first week of Feb, a small mixed age/ability group. A few questions:
- What’s the best way to travel from Saalbach Hinterglemm to Leogang? I’ve read about the beginner blues here and magic carpets for our beginners - is it worth the travel?
- If it’s not too wild an idea, is there anywhere that would offer private beginner lessons for a 3 year old and a 60 year old together?
- Would also appreciate tips for the best easy/confidence boosting blues in the area.
Many thanks Eh oh!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BeeCoops,
- What’s the best way to travel from Saalbach Hinterglemm to Leogang?

Depending on where you’re staying , either up the Kohlmaisbahn or the Schönleitenbahn. If the former, take the Magic 6er chair and then the Schönleiten 6er (or Schönleitenbahn 2nd stage) to the Wildenkarkogel. If the latter, it takes you straight up to the Wildenkarkogel.
From there take the Poltenlift, and then the Asitzmüldenlift, and you then ski down to the main complex of restaurants and lifts at the top of the Leogang gondolas.

I’ve read about the beginner blues here and magic carpets for our beginners - is it worth the travel?

No, not at all. The Saalbach nursery area is more than adequate.

- If it’s not too wild an idea, is there anywhere that would offer private beginner lessons for a 3 year old and a 60 year old together?

It sounds a bizarre idea, and I can’t imagine that it would work… but I’m not an instructor.

- Would also appreciate tips for the best easy/confidence boosting blues in the area.

The top of the Bernkogel, followed by piste 152
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can anyone help with a question on the Zell am See Express please. First time visitors to Zell, staying near to the Schmittenhohebahn lift. Is it easy for an inexperienced skier to get from here to Saalbach via the Zell am See Express? From the piste map it looks like maybe blue 9 and 10 get you to the top lift station? Basically trying to avoid any reds or too much walking. I am aware that you need to catch a bus once at Viehhofen.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@chrisbristol, very simple - download on the gondola, then catch the bus to the Schönleitenbahn. For inexperienced skiers, do not attempt to ski down - it's a hard red which would be black if it wasn't such a critical link
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@BeeCoops, welcome to Snowheads!

To get to Leogang from Saalbach you have to be competent on blue runs, so travelling there to use the beginner area wouldn't make much sense. You can drive round, but it's about 45 minutes because they're in separate valleys.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ousekjarr, Thanks, but I was more worried about how you get from the top of the Schmittenhohebahn to the Zell am See express, and then also back again on the return leg?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chrisbristol, can’t help with your question you might find the answer here
https://m.facebook.com/groups/1750872118572399/
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@chrisbristol, ah, I see - apologies, I misunderstood. Yes, blue 9 and 10 from the top of Schmittenhöhe will get you to the downlink. The return is more of an issue, as there's no uplift back to the summit - you have to be able to ski the reds in the bowl to get home. Depending on conditions, those are either relatively easy, or a mogul-covered nightmare as Sonnkogel is well named - they're mainly south facing, so get soft early
snow conditions
What's the long blue from Schattberg Ost down to Vorderglemm like? Long blues can be annoyingly flat in places (Flaine & Morgins I'm looking at you) and especially bad for snowboarders who don't know the flat bits are coming. Any particularly flat Areas in Skicircus I should be aware of?
ski holidays
@Snow Hound, no issue whatsoever, I ski with 2 boarders and never have they complained going down there and been done many times, clearly given length of 7km (I think) there are some flatter bits, but all with enough gradient , not seen them ever grind to a halt.
snow report
@Snow Hound, that is one of the best runs in the valley when it is in good condition, rolling downhill apart from the long straight pitch before the lift which is steeper. No flat bits at all once you have got past the Limbergalm buildings beyond the chairlift line. Don't overshoot the turn, or you'll be back on the chair to the top unless you fancy walking up.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 11-01-23 12:01; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@Snow Hound, there are few flat areas - just a few gently sloping pistes/tracks linking different areas, e.g. top of piste 166, and part of 165. But one’s flat piste is another’s schuss.
The 7km blue piste 2/2a that you mention is certainly not flat, in fact the bottom section in particular can be quite challenging, even gruelling, for an inexperienced skier. There’s an in-joke that it’s blue in the morning, red by lunchtime, and black in the afternoon. But of course that depends on the weather and volume of traffic.
ski holidays
ousekjarr wrote:
@chrisbristol, ah, I see - apologies, I misunderstood. Yes, blue 9 and 10 from the top of Schmittenhöhe will get you to the downlink. The return is more of an issue, as there's no uplift back to the summit - you have to be able to ski the reds in the bowl to get home. Depending on conditions, those are either relatively easy, or a mogul-covered nightmare as Sonnkogel is well named - they're mainly south facing, so get soft early

Just to correct this....@chrisbristol

To get from Schmittenhöhe to ZellAS eXpress, Blue 9 , and then red 11 and Sonnegratbahn chair up (blue 10 runs the other way. You could walk up the side it I guess, its not very long)

Coming back, Blue 10, then a short uplift on the two man chair, Hochzellerbahn, then Blue 9a (take care to get Blue 9a and not Black 9! - it is well signed) and then back up Kapellenbahn to take the Schmittenhoehe gondola down (or do a bit of Blue 1 and the trassXrpress down).

Definitely don't attempt the Red 21 instead of ZellAS eXpress. Red 11 is quite gentle at the top, but does steepen a little near the bottom where it meet 12 to go down to the chair. as i said above if you don't fancy Red 11 you walk / shoos up Blue 10. (click the webcam on ZellAS eXpress on the piste plan and you can see piste 10 and the Hochzellerbahn in the distance).. the other way "there" is up both Sonnenalm lifts and red 15 down to Sonnegratbahn- but that is steeper than red 11, so don't be tempted.
latest report
@Snow Hound, try this:

https://earth.google.com/web/search/Saalbach,+Austria/@47.36973933,12.66064363,1542.49456298a,3215.73838275d,35y,-50.83887121h,61.14316061t,359.99999923r/data=CigiJgokCRudW1a8IjVAERudW1a8IjXAGewawH_N5SxAITy9tL5VKFbA

Takes a while to load, but shows the terrain in a 3D view. The run starts from the top left, sweeps through the middle, and ends at the far right
snow report
@t44tomo, thanks for the correction! It's been a couple of years since I was over in Zell, and clearly my memory has faded somewhat, plus it's been a long time since I had to think of how to avoid red runs.
snow report

A snowy pic
snow conditions
Hi folks, for those that have caught the bus from Salzburg airport please can you advise me where the bus stop is to get to the train station/town centre. Is it within the airport where taxis etc drop off/pick up or out onto the main road?

I have a few hours to kill on my return home and thought I would spend it in the city centre rather than the chock a block airport.
snow conditions
All of the bus stops at Salzburg Airport are in front of the multi-storey car park. If you leave the terminal building and cross the taxi rank / car park using the walkway under the canopy, the bus stops are on the airport road (opposite the car rental offices that are in the multi-storey car park)
ski holidays
@ribblevalleyblue, Last time i was flying out of Salzburg with a couple of hours to kill ... I checked my luggage in and then walked (not far) to the Red Bull Hangar 7 museum. I'm not particularly into planes or race cars, but it was a nice way to spend some time (It was free admission, and there's good food/drink options in there)
snow conditions
@t44tomo, Thanks for the update on this - from your description I have managed to find some Youtube footage.

- Blue 9 towards Zell Express. Blue 10 can be seen to the left at the end of the vid

http://youtube.com/v/sTcptHmn4i8

Looks quite a trek up to the Zell Express! Maybe Red 11/12 and the lift might be easier - I will have to do a trial run of both options before I dare ask the wife!

- Heading away from Zell Express - Blue 10 onto Blue 9/9a

http://youtube.com/v/oK_N-UfeIg4
snow report
chrisbristol wrote:
@t44tomo, Thanks for the update on this - from your description I have managed to find some Youtube footage.
Looks quite a trek up to the Zell Express! Maybe Red 11/12 and the lift might be easier - I will have to do a trial run of both options before I dare ask the wife!

them's the ones (2nd part of 2nd video is down black 9)
yes ideal if you can reccy it and assess conditions vs ability. Its about 34-36 seconds into that second clip that you can see red 11 peel off to the left opposite the little 2 man chair.

You can always leave the wife there whilst you swing down 11 and up the chair and you can then ski back down 10 to report findings. If its a no go, you hop onto the two man and up to start of 9a down to Kapellenbahn and back up to Schmittenhöhe. It wont take long to do that little circuit.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@quinton, @magic_hat, thanks
snow report
Does anyone know if 168 to Viehhofen is open.
snow conditions
No, it’s closed. Saalbach dot com tells you which lifts and pistes are currently open/closed.
ski holidays
Yorksboy wrote:
Does anyone know if 168 to Viehhofen is open.

https://www.saalbach.com/de/live-info/lifte-und-pisten?type=pisten Showing its closed
snow report
@tatmanstours, @Gored, thanks guys. I guess I’m not going to the Hecherhutte for lunch tomorrow Eh oh!
ski holidays
I see that today’s Daily Mail has an article, telling everyone to “forget the French Alps”, and to go to the Ski Circus!
I can see that next season’s going to get mighty crowded. Time to stop recommending it methinks.
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, the day you believe anything in the papers is time to give up.

Last week the season was over the press were reporting with much glee, much of France got hit hard compared to Saalbach.

From what I see and understand from people (including friends and work colleagues) who are there now, lots of France is getting plenty of deep snow.

Not that I have any desire to go to France again and certainly do not recommend the ski circus.
snow report
Conditions right now in Saalbach can be described as "it depends"... If the piste is south facing and is above 1400m then it's relatively ok after 11:00 o'clock, otherwise prepare for a very firm/icy ride. Particularly "blue" piste 2a is right now a death trap for less experienced skiers. Little less dangerous seems to be piste 211 from Asitz to Leogang.

Today I witnessed two nasty falls, one of them required ride assistance from the helicopter to the hospital...

More natural/artificial snow is needed.

Otherwise ok.
ski holidays
@matejp, according to all the forecasts I'm looking at it's going to get colder and snowier to various degrees over the next few days.
latest report
@magic_hat, Thanks for the recommendation of Hanger 7, we have a few hours to kill in between arriving and getting the public bus. Did intend just getting a few drinks in the bar at the airport but this sounds ideal.
latest report
@matejp, sad to hear of the falls and hope they are not too badly hurt and recover quickly

let’s hope temps drop further to allow more snow cannon work and the gods above send down more white stuff
snow conditions
According to a friend who was out skiing in Leogang today, it’s okay and enjoyable on lower pistes as long as you have good edges and use them.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy