Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yad Moss and Weardale, North Pennines

Poster: A snowHead
Managed to visit for a few hours this afternoon, yet again another superb day. Piste's are in very good condition.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
oldagedpredator, quad chair next season at this rate? Cool
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The linking of Harwood and Yad Moss by the worlds longest rope tow to create a pennine super resort is more likely Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Two views you dont usually see of Yad Moss

Burnhope Seat Trig

Looking back in from beyond the enclosure
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alpe de Yad

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Only 1 more day at work before my 10th Pennines ski day of the winter (sadly couldn't make last weekend as I was in the Zillertal, Austria Toofy Grin )
- so come on then, how's it looking? Decent cover on the webcams so I'm fairly hopeful.

Any predictions on how much longer it's all going to last?? Maybe we should run a snowHead sweep? What's the latest that the Pennines lifts have ever run?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

What's the latest that the Pennines lifts have ever run?

May, in 1986 I think.

Cover is still excellent so this weekend should be good though Sunday is looking a little windy from the wrong direction.

Beyond that the cover will start to shrink noticeably but still plenty of snow left and time for it to go colder again. The high Pennines around the Dun fells and Cross Fell are absolutely loaded and will hold snow well into May this year with the possibility of patches persisting into june on the NE faces.

I'm off to Zermatt tomorrow where there is STILL less than half the snow depth of Yad Moss. rolling eyes But don't feel sorry for me. I'll make do and look forward to more local skiing and a trip to Scotland, where the serious snow is, when I get back snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter S, Are you thinking of Cairngorm for the May bank holiday? I'm trying to get a goodly number of snowheads up there. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, when is May Day? That could be a good meetup - will there still be snow?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski, please put me on your list for mayday in scotland.

Perhaps a sticky thread along the lines of the Bash threads in the appropriate section would catch people's attention?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lampbus wrote:
easiski, when is May Day? That could be a good meetup - will there still be snow?

could be in for this Toofy Grin
straight from the EOSB and up to the cairngorms for a week, at least i won't have to unpack Toofy Grin
just fuel up the car and away up the M6 wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lampbus, may Day bank holiday is going to be Mon 3rd May. Cairngorm have said that they will run lifts on the bank holiday weekend if there is enough snow. Achilles is liking the idea and could possibly pick you up en route ..

51st state, I don't think they'll be open for the week, but a changed destination airport on return??

rungsp, I am not allowed to put threads in snow events and am not allowed to put sticky threads anywhere AFAICS. You have found the thread I did put up though. Very Happy Very Happy

sorry for thread hi-jack, of course for locals, if the snow was still good, Penine Skiing would be the thing. Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This was weekend 13 of the pennine ski season - I've managed 23 weekend days, think I'm somewhere round mid thirties for total days. If it wasnt for the wind today the skiing would have been great. Looks like Yad will loose Outer Barrel (Limits) - snow is fracturing between the swamp ponds at the top - and the enclosure run. Impaler, main run and sunset boulevard should see next weekend - so long as rain doesnt come with this heat wave. Going cold again after next weekend. Still life in the season yet but you can hear the streams coming back to life.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
anywhere opening mid week this week?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yad Moss website says no, weardale prob wont make it through the current thaw, doubt allenheads will. Harwood is going to be the one to watch.
snow report
Webcam update this afternoon from Yad Moss looking like main run is complete to bottom. Still full width between the fences at the top, seeming to show return via the cross over and the bowl still being possible.
snow report
Pennines skiing? They think it's all over....it is now Crying or Very sad !!

Fantastic while it lasted Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .

oldagedpredator/Peter S: Do you know how many days Yad Moss and Weardale managed in the end?
snow conditions
They've had 3 months of skiing at Yad Moss - now that's what you call a decent season !
latest report
I'm really not sure on the total number of days but there are some interesting variations in the forecasts for next weeks - one of which might put a lot of snow alston way. MWIS outlook is also promising for the start of next week. There might just be one last pennine hurrah on the cards before the Yad finally go to sleep and it all just becomes a boggy old hillside.
ski holidays
oldagedpredator, indeed, Paul the Weatherman on BBC yorkshire said on the local weather tonight that there is potential for snow next week, fingers crossed!
ski holidays
just seen the snowforecast for the top of Yad Moss - may be wildly optamistic at over a foot of snow but netweather.tv is giving 14mm of precip in Alston - should be good for atlead 6" on the hill. Might still break the 2000 mark for the facebook group by the end of the season.
ski holidays
so is the forecasted snow

a) going to reach the North Pennines?
b) be sufficient for the lifts to run?
snow report
Good set of webcam pics, showing how snow cover at Yad Moss has melted away in just 2 weeks of March:

http://csc.tayloredtechnology.com/ski/previous.aspx?page=0&camera=Yadmoss-2&description=Summit
ski holidays
The honest answer who knows - todays rain was down as snow last week. The webcam shots from this morning looked like there'd been a couple of inches of snow and then back to rain. Weardale and Yad Moss can be skied with about 3" of cover. If the snow does come then cover is going to be more like the very start of the season. Shame the cover took so much of a kicking in the last 7 days as a couple of inches of snow would have meant great skiing. Now it might just mean we can ski.
latest report
Looks like a possible opening at Yad Moss tomorrow

Web Cams
ski holidays
Looks like plenty of snow yesterday. Amazing. I don't post much but follow this thread with interest having never done any lift served skiing in England myself. Very Happy
snow report
Had a great couple of hours this morning, ok conditions weren't perfect, and vis was a bit dodgy at times, but it's still skiing Smile
ski holidays
Friday may have been the last day of the season at Yad Moss unless we get another cold snap in the next three weeks or so. The tow has now run on 50 days which will be a longest ever season for us, certainly it has been our busiest. Since Christmas the tow has run every weekend except the last two weekends, an exceptional achievement that has relied on excellent snow cover, low temperatures, open roads and getting sufficient volunteers up to operate and maintain the tow. there have been a few very challenging moments like the time when we couldn't get into the control room and had to cut a hole through the wall...we still managed to get the tow operational by lunch time Laughing

Thank you to everyone for all your help and support. We hope you enjoyed your days at Yad Moss. We've got a few projects in mind for the summer and no doubt lots of maintenance to do. If next season is a third as good as this one I'll be happy. snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all of your hard work over the great season up at Yad Moss. I skied there in mid January when the fences were buried, some of the best snow i have ever skied on. Should you need any help during the summer months then please do not hesitate to contact me through snowheads forum as i would gladly offer any assistance you require to ensure that next season is as good as this one (snow dependeing) Once again, thanksPeter S, and the rest of the Yad Moss ski team, have a great summer, Rick Sad (i want more snow)

Few Pics and a vid from the winter in and around Manchester, the video is take on the A672 between the M62 and Denshaw.

View My Video

M6 near Tebay Looking at "The Calf"
Heading up over Hartside
Hartside summit
Hartside looking West towards Lake District
Yad Moss
Halfway Down the run, looking West
Looking towards the top of the lift
Heading home down Hartside Summit
snow report
I drove past yad Moss on sunday after being in Scotland for the weekend. It looks horrible with no snow!!! Theree was no snow left at all really, just a few patches in hidden gullys a little further up the road, but that was it. Ah well, bring on next season!!!
snow report
Quote:

It looks horrible with no snow!!!

That'll be the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty then Shocked .

I think its a fabulous part of the country, described by David Bellamy in his book as 'England's Last Wilderness'.

Still lots of snow on Cross Fell I imagine. There is a good chance this year of some patches persisting right through May and into June, above Greg's Hut. Still a patch of snow or two as far south as the Peak District and Berwyns according to this thread. http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,123567,page=4
ski holidays
when i said it looks horrible, i dont actually mean it in that sense. It was stunning up there on Sunday, but it would have looked much better covered in about 1m of the fresh white stuff!!!
latest report
Think the peak ones will have been well and truly washed by now - its chucking it down here.
latest report
Can i just ask, do you like my pics i took? I love the one with the cloud invertion on it. Im so looking forward to next season already, its not even may yet, HELP!!!
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder,
When I had a bad dose of your affliction 2 years ago these people were a great help www.airnewzealand.com Laughing
snow conditions
We've just had a birthday and end of season party up at YM today and I can report that there are still a few tiny patches of snow around. Over on Cross fell there are still some quite big snow fields left. Hopefully we'll get up there in the next month or so to report on the situation.

It was a nice way to finish the season off with 40 of us celebrating our Piste basher drivers 30th birthday and perhaps the most sucessful Pennine skiing season for a generation snowHead
snow conditions
Peter S,

Excellent. Well done on a great season. Hopefully tou will get a few turns in May!!!
snow conditions
Quote:

We've just had a birthday and end of season party up at YM today and I can report that there are still a few tiny patches of snow around. Over on Cross fell there are still some quite big snow fields left. Hopefully we'll get up there in the next month or so to report on the situation.

picture here snowHead

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=237123&op=1&o=all&view=all&subj=49230960115&aid=-1&oid=49230960115&id=100000479207566
latest report
Nice picture but how tall are those 3 people at the back ?
snow report
hi is there anyone that drives from tyneside area who wants to share transport, i have a van and it is not good when roads are bad, im happy to take it when it has a chance of getting there but need help when roads are bad.
mostly mid week. i live just off the A69 at Ovingham.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy