Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2023-2024

Poster: A snowHead
@JohnMo - thanks for the reply. Yes, we missed out on the ability to ski over into Cervinia but it's been fine so far. We're obviously not treating the week as a proper skiing holiday so 3 hours each morning doing the long run from the top down to Trockener Steg has been pleasant enough. It was a little slushy on Monday but Tuesday and today decent conditions. The next 3 days look to be ok as well.

I'm not sure we would do this again (at this time of year) but it's been a lovely holiday break none the less. Our next return to Zermatt likely to be mid to late January next year with any luck.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I may go to Cervinia in a few days time. What are the conditions now what is usually open? I can't find much info on the website so not sure what pass I would need and where the skiing happens.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You’d need to hop over to the Zermatt side for skiing in the summer months - on the glacier.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
https://x.com/wlkdjflwkdfjlsk/status/1804121355530703027?s=46&t=DAFzLkE7nCHmewIQOnlEzg

Last train out of Zermatt. Shut due to flooding and landslides.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
https://x.com/alpenweerman/status/1804138916489867593?s=46&t=DAFzLkE7nCHmewIQOnlEzg
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I hope the shops stocked up on Gucci wellies!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Obviously the big issue over the last couple of weeks has been clearing up after the floods. Fortunately most things seem to be back to normal. A small number of walks are still out of action. Also, surprisingly, some high walks still have too much snow to make them easily walkable!

The rain was snow up on the glacier so conditions for summer skiing are excellent. The summer glacier drag lifts are running but it is still possible to ski down to Trockener Steg. Fairly amazing for July. You can see the year to year difference from these webcam shots looking downhill from Trockener Steg. One is from this week and one from same week a couple of years ago (admittedly a bad year- summer skiing even had to be suspended). This year the lake has not even thawed out yet.

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bit of a mess in Cervinia

http://youtube.com/v/Zfiq7eUVK6E?si=cGtqWj_jPIccCLh5

http://youtube.com/v/4wwk62aiNHo?si=Ai4ASL6EzEg28VgG
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We're planning to ski in Zermatt over new year, we've been a few times before but this time our apartment will be close to the Sunnegga lift. very handy for that area but looking on how to get to the Klein Matterhorn area the best way by skiing.

after catching the sunnegga I see we can go down through Findeln, catch the Findelbhan chair and then ski to Riffelalp station, at that point can we ski the path through to riffelalp resort (looks to be flat ish) and therefore pickup the run down Furi? its not listed as a run and i can't remember if you can from our previous visits. memory eh?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The "run" from Riffelalp station to Riffelalp Hotel is ever so slightly uphill. You can skate it but it is long enough that you will be over it by the time you get to the hotel.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks, sounds like its a workable route then unless the Resort hotel clears the snow of it for their guests. the alternatives look like they'll take a lot more time for us e.g going up to Hohtalli or walking down the hill from our apartment and catching the bus to other end of the village.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They don’t clear it. In fact they maintain it and sort of bash it. They operate a snowmobile with trailer for guests.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mr_frosty, just as a heads up, that run from the chair at Breitboden was closed quite a lot last season - it runs alongside a cliff face and there are often small rock/snow falls that can block it. Even when open , it’s a long path basically and you need to be going some at the start to keep up enough speed to make it to the end without a significant amount of poling. You then cross the rail tracks to skate/pole basically gently uphill all the way up the walking path you have mentioned.
I have to say I would be surprised if all that took less time than the bus and bubble up to Furi which is the alternative but on the other hand you are probably much fitter than I am - you will get a great arm and thigh workout for sure!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mr_frosty, First of all, IMHO the area around Sunnegga is the best place to stay in Zermatt. An alternative route to Klein Matterhorn would be to take the lifts all the way up to Rothorn and then ski down to Gant then up the cable car and ski down to Furi via Riffleberg, picking up the last stage of the gondola to Furi when you get to the valley bottom. Would take longer than the bus but you would be on skis a fair bit of the way.
The real bonus is at the end of the day when you can make your way up to the Gifthittli chair and ski across towards Gant before they rope it off at the end of the day you can then get up to Blauherd and ski all the way down to resort without the hastle of bus queues at KM base station
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DCG, @scotsgirl, @afterski, thanks for all the info. sounds like some options there. @DCG, yes we're planning on skiing down at the end of the day as we'll be staying close to the Cervo resort hotel at the end of that run. now just need to find a way to obtain a keycard to use that lift in the Sunnegga access tunnel out of hours (i hear Cervo guests have this)
snow conditions
Obviously an advert for the Warren Smith Ski Academy (nothing wrong with that) but actually a good description of how things are right now. The fallout with the FIS is unfortunate (IMO) but he is right that it has taken a lot of traffic off the glacier.

http://youtube.com/v/HBztGiEwxYU?si=iH02T5l2xTVm_ZWK
snow conditions
I was out there this week on the academy course and it was the first time for me out there in summer. Have to say conditions were better than I expected and basically no queues at all. Fantastic.
ski holidays
Sounds great @Mike_E, especially as I'd recently seen Hintertux Glacier looking a bit threadbare on the webcams.

I really love summer skiing but have never done it in Switzerland. I've only skied at the Grande Motte Glacier in Tignes in high summer, although I've skied the Saas Fee glacier (plus a few Austrian ones) in late spring and autumn.

I'm guessing that a Zermatt summer ski ticket won't be cheap these days though? Shocked
snow conditions
5 day ticket is about 280euro from memory.
latest report
^^^^Cheers @Mike_E - not as bad as I'd thought.
ski holidays
The train up from the Rhône valley at Visp up to Zermatt started running again on Monday. It was closed by the flood damage earlier in the summer. The shuttle train from Täsch to Zermatt opened up almost immediately after the floods but for the last couple of months there have been shuttle buses between Visp and Täsch.

From a purely selfish point of view I was happy with the shuttle buses. We only travel with hand luggage and our apartment is in Täsch. They had a stopping bus and a direct Visp to Täsch bus that was quicker than the train! However, from the point of view of the tourist business the reopening is a huge relief.
snow report
Looking to take advice for a three day trip to Zermatt, skiing from 6th - 9th December this year.

My elsest son is turning 16 in this period and as a treat I was thinking of taking him away for a long weekend skiing at Zermatt. I have found a place to stay in Tasch and travel is sorted but I have a few questions before I confirm everything..

Is it easy to get to the lifts from the train station in Zermatt? We will be using the train each day to travel into Zermatt from Tasch.

Also, do we have a good chance of getting some skiing done during this period? I’m nervous to travel all that way if it’s potentially closed due to wind/lack of snow.

Not bothered about black runs or anything, just a nice getaway and some fun reds and blues.
snow conditions
I'm sure JohnMo will be along to confirm everything shortly but as I understand it Zermatt is a car free town and the Swiss do that kind of stuff very very well so I imagine its easy. I have a friend who does similar and stays out of town with a big supermarket shop to save money.

I would think Zermatt one of the earlier resorts to open (the top is open year round) and I remember reading JohnMo's updates last year re snowfall and how far down the mountain they had opened but again he'll give you a better view. In general at that time of year you would be aiming for Zermatt / Cervinia, Solden / Obergurgl, Tignes, Val Thorens for mileage.
ski holidays
Thanks 8611, I think it sounds perfect in terms of early snow availability.
latest report
@Skeeezo, you have the green line Ebus.
It is free with a skipass. Will take you from the train station to Sunnegga base station (to get your ski legs back).
And all the way to the base station for the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise for a day with decent visibility.
The Gornegratt cog wheel train has its base station just across the road from the train station, nice blue pistes and extraordinary views
snow report
Skeeezo wrote:
Looking to take advice for a three day trip to Zermatt, skiing from 6th - 9th December this year.

My elsest son is turning 16 in this period and as a treat I was thinking of taking him away for a long weekend skiing at Zermatt. I have found a place to stay in Tasch and travel is sorted but I have a few questions before I confirm everything..

Is it easy to get to the lifts from the train station in Zermatt? We will be using the train each day to travel into Zermatt from Tasch.

Also, do we have a good chance of getting some skiing done during this period? I’m nervous to travel all that way if it’s potentially closed due to wind/lack of snow.

Not bothered about black runs or anything, just a nice getaway and some fun reds and blues.

I have replied here:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=170092#5329043
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy