Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2022/2023 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
How high/low is this webcam?

https://en.morzine-avoriaz.com/templates/WEBOT/cache/min-PRESTATAIRE-WEBCAMS-WNYON-nyonplateau.jpg?1668780489
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@kitenski, is that Nyon plateau? If so, 1425m Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Timmycb5, yeah nyon plateau I think.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yikes.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
People still battling on at the top of Pleney.

Apparently pretty much the whole of Chatel is closed including the Pas de Morgins.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mt Chery sector closed.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Reading these miserable snow reports is a kind of ghastly addiction.

Such a shame for so many skiers, and businesses, at what should be an enjoyable and profitable time of year, even if conditions are often less than perfect and the days so short.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The interactive map is grim ... only a scattering of slopes and runs are open.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Landslide on Châtel side of Pas du Morgins under the Gabelou lift and they are concerned about damage to pylon.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Road over the Pas de Morgins closed due to ground damage around one of the pylons of the Gabelou lift at the top end of Châtel. No estimate of reopening as yet. So anyone driving from Geneva to Châtel should be aware and not plan to do so via the Lausanne route, which is usually shown as faster on google maps etc.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0uMf9EAxrrT8g5ggfMhfSU3QMQSBK4jSWLT8x2SEnG5pA8E4NYL6WyayupTGJrb6ml&id=100006190728820&m_entstream_source=timeline&__tn__=%2As%2AsH-R#_=_
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arrived in Montriond yesterday. Came through Les Gets and Morzine. They were very washed out.
Still some snow cover at Lac Montriond.

Rained on and off all day and night. Woke up to lighter rain/drizzle this morning.

PdS app showing all of the Chery side of Les Gets shut. Some lifts running on the Chavennes side. Some lifts open in Morzine. I think the torch decent down the Pleney tonight might be in trouble.

The whole of Chatel looks shut as does most of the Swiss side. All links closed due to Avi risk.

Got on the mountain at Ardent. Visibility hit and miss and light drizzle.
However it is clearing all the time. Rain/drizzle easing off throughout the day so Christmas Eve celebrations should at least by dry!

The snow is best described as spring like. Slow and sticky but it is skiable. There are a few brown patches and thin cover but it’s not all doom and gloom. Those staying in Morzine or even Les Gets will have to trek up but it’s worth it. Some skiing is better than no skiing. We made it up to the top of the Swiss Wall which is closed obviously. There is still fun, decent skiing to be had. And the big day tomorrow is looking like it’ll be sunny, so will be a cracker.

Lifts today are quiet and even with the shut pistes, those open aren’t that busy.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ozboy wrote:
Landslide on Châtel side of Pas du Morgins under the Gabelou lift and they are concerned about damage to pylon.

Apparently the pylon has moved more than 10m and is being held up just by the cables. Clearly won't be operational this season, and how long it's going to take to make the road safe I've no idea, and nor has anyone else at this point.

https://m.facebook.com/NicolasRUBIN74?eav=AfaftT159cj5EOf_hPJoWOhmaDeXKCp9iI75d2gf8eJsRF6RF3eG8gqwDPqQYfwOpFo&paipv=0
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

and profitable time of year

@pam w, well, bro-in-law's ski shop doing a roaring trade Shocked
snow report
Quote:

Apparently the pylon has moved more than 10m

Shocked
snow report
davidof wrote:

This looks to be on Linga where the pistes splits to Gabelou.
ski holidays

Les Crosets - elevation of bottom list statio is 1680m. This was the first PDS piste to pre-open early December with good snow. Sad
ski holidays
Grande Turche (St Jean d’Aulps) closed until further notice.
snow report
Well this is grim reading/viewing.

5 more weeks until I go out, so I hope we’ll see a big change before then, but I feel for anyone going soon and all the local businesses, after what has been a tough couple of years
ski holidays
Well, all things considered….we’ve just had a lovely 6 hours or so skiing. Are the pistes perfect…no. Are a lot of runs shut….yes. But what was there still up high was good fun. Not champagne stuff but you got to work with what you have.

Out early tomorrow to make the most of the sun!
snow report
@Fridge03, That's the spirit
snow report
It is what it is, good positive view@Fridge03, I heard from a SH this morning that her husband had been skiing in the Rosta bowl in Les Gets, and given full marks to the pisteurs and their work, making the best that they can at the monent.
snow conditions
Good stuff @Fridge03 - and signs it might get a wee freshen up boxing day night up high.
ski holidays
@Chaletbeauroc - that presumably means anyone wanting to do the circuit (or get between Super Chatel and Linga etc will have to go old skool and get the bus?
ski holidays
Gabalou

latest report
Shocked
snow report
@Ozboy I sent my mate one of those photos and he said “and they’re still running it??!!!”.

Erm…no…no, it’s not running. And probably won’t be for quite some time…
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We will be catching the bus for quite a while. I read on Morzine Source it is only the cable holding up the pylon and there are fears it may snap causing the ongoing closure of the road to Morgins.
snow report
andy from embsay wrote:
@Chaletbeauroc - that presumably means anyone wanting to do the circuit (or get between Super Chatel and Linga etc will have to go old skool and get the bus?

Yeah, I guess. But in any event the runs between chalet neuf and Morgins won't be open again for quite some time. Looking up to the top of Corbeau there isn't even a hint of white left Sad

Latest on the Gabelou: https://www.ledauphine.com/faits-divers-justice/2022/12/24/intemperies-fermeture-du-domaine-skiable-et-de-la-liaison-avec-la-suisse

On this photo you can see how far the pylon has slipped down the slope, one chair on the upper cable visible at the top of the picture.

snow report
@Chaletbeauroc, I’m thinking much later in the season. We’re out in a couple of weeks and not expecting to do much beyond Avoriaz and Plaine Dranse, but then have trips in Feb and March. Was looking forward to trying out the new chair in Super Chatel.
snow report
Quote:

Yep, and there's some serious hole patching to be done on the pistes where 'rivers' have washed away the snow layer (aside from whats been posted above). I have my fingers crossed for the forthcoming week and I'm sure everything is been done to resolve/improve the situation.

As mentioned above, the Gabalou chair will be out of action for a while. I understand they are taking the cables off as we speak, given that if slips again (very likely) it will do some serious damage to nearby pylons.

So tomorrow, I'll venture out and see what's available - never a dull moment in the mountains!!
ski holidays
@andy from embsay, Yeah, I imagine they'll be running the existing bus services between Gabelou and Linga much more frequently for the rest of the season. It seems obvious that there's no way they can even start fix the lift before the Spring.
ski holidays
A few quick snaps from today. As you can see. Snow still present. And sun even came out.

210-B240-A-20-E8-4-AE3-B582-246059-BDA15-B

snow report
Thanks @Fridge03 - great that they’ve managed to keep stuff open. Hopefully more as the week goes on
snow conditions
I stopped going to the PDS about 4 years ago, after a couple of seasons working there, it's too low and unreliable now.
ski holidays
I stopped going to the PDS, after a couple of seasons working there, it's too low and unreliable now.
ski holidays
@nevis1003,
Quote:

too low and unreliable now

?? Has it changed altitude? It was low and unreliable in early season in 1956.
snow conditions
nevis1003 wrote:
it's too low and unreliable now.

Rubbish.
ski holidays
Car hire prices at GVA seem to have gone down quite substantially in the last week or so - I was put off by the 3-day hire cost of an estate car at the beginning of the month when the lowest I could find was circa £350 with Enterprise. The same category car is now £197 (with Enterprise). I know there are a lot of factors at play here but perhaps the weather / snow conditions are putting last-minute bookers off?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy