Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2011/12 snowreport

Poster: A snowHead
Looks like a good covering in Avoriaz this afternoon.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I sent an email to Avoriaz this morning asking about the webcam at the top of the PDS. it hasn't been working for months and it shows an old image from august. This is the response I got from them.

Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you for having contacted Avoriaz 1800.
The Portes du Soleil webcam was unfortunately struck by lightning and destroyed few weeks ago.
It is currently being fixed, the webcam will work again in few weeks, before the winter season. 
Please find enclosed the events programme for christmas and new year eve in Avoriaz.
We look forward to welcoming you to Avoriaz 1800.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ricklovesthepowder, Rick can you send me the email, fancy a bit of work in the PDS.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ricklovesthepowder, are you going this season? So you can avail of the newly repaired cam....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lou, They are flying me out there on December 17th for the unveiling!!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ricklovesthepowder, I bet you're hoping it will be fixed before then Toofy Grin Serious webcam watching starts here end November.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lou, To get a realistic picture of the area just look at the Les Gets and Morzine webcams and then add snow! wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

The Portes du Soleil webcam was unfortunately struck by lightning and destroyed few weeks ago.

Time to update the phrasebook methinks - "my webcam has been struck by lightning" .... "my grandmother has fallen out of the telecabine"
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You can always use the 360 cam.

http://portesdusoleil.livecam360.com/

Best waiting for some actual snow to look at though!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
yes it is a little early to be expecting much in the way of white stuff, at least the kind that stays around....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Something for the valley locals. A new website came live last week. www.MorzineMarche.com it is aimed at the French & English alike to buy/sell, find a transfer company(they will all be on the list), offer/seek seasonal accomodation, employment sought/wanted, and a discussion forum too. It is free at present, and will hopefully stay that way, with a little advertising to cover costs somewhere down the line. And no it is not my site. This is just for info.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Roy Hockley wrote:
Lou, To get a realistic picture of the area just look at the Les Gets and Morzine webcams and then add snow! wink

Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looks like everywhere is going to get lashings of snow this week, except Chatel and PdS Sad.

My 4th year going there, first two were powder city but last year was woeful with the only saving grace the snow machines in morzine. I looked at other places for a 4 day trip with the lads but it was very inconvenient and hideously expensive to go to a higher resort. Apartments in all the higher resorts are let out for a full week only and it was going to cost us around £5-600 per person for a bedsit. We took the chance on Chatel again as we can get 3 apartments in a really nice chalet with 8 bedrooms (1 each) for £140 per person. Loads of room, easy journey, fantastic village and normally great skiing.
I have to say that after last year most people have got the heebie jeebies about the weather and are all getting paranoid, thank god I am going to Les Arcs later in the season as that looks like it is getting some this week.

I spent about 6 weeks on the weather thread on here last year, why on earth I have started looking even earlier this year? I must be mad. It is like a death of a thousand cuts checking the forecast 3 times a day for 4 months.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mheadbee, You and me both Laughing Last year I was in neighbouring Morgin, rubbish snow, rained all day first day and were bussed to Chatel, got soaked but at least could ski, same week year before Morgins, fab and year before that Les Gets also fab. Only last year I went Jan 8th, where as I had gone in Feb the two previous years.

This year I have booked Chatel 7th jan, I told myself after last year to wait it out and go last min wherever the snow was, PANICKED about getting clobbered with single supplement and losing all cost benefits of last min booking. I have a very small budget for 7 days skiing per year.

Lets keep everything but our skis crossed for snow this year, When are you going to Chatel?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Christ, I thought I was the one on the forum who panicked!!! It's the first week in November, stop worrying. If by this time in December there is no snow or a small base down, then start to get a little worried, even then though all it takes is one big dump of snow. There is ages to go yet!
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, Absolutly right, Will that stop me looking at weather reports, snowHead forum, webcams, etc etc Puzzled Hmmm, probably not. Laughing What else could I do that irritate he who wont ski with me!!!!
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, you are now the voice of reason wink I think most of us have been there. I still worry but what will be will be (and in particular after our last trip which was pants Laughing )
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder.............. your post is deja vu from last year. People were still telling me not to panic just a week before I had a lovely summer hill walking holiday wearing shorts and t-shirts in Chatel in January.
ski holidays
Lou, After last year I figures out that there is no point in worrying, what will be will be. I wen to Scotland for a week as the conditions in the Alps were very poor and had a great time!
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, If there's no snow on Dec 4 I still won't worry.

Take last year; Dec 2 we had over a meter in the garden. Then what happened?
latest report
Just incase you are not aware, the "PDS" webcam on avoriaz.com is now up and running again. Few bits of snow on the higher parts of the Dents Du Midi.
snow report
Quote:

Ricklovesthepowder, If there's no snow on Dec 4 I still won't worry.

Take last year; Dec 2 we had over a meter in the garden. Then what happened?

Yes indeed. But if i don't have this to worry about i will only need to find something else to occupy me
snow conditions
mheadbee, Offs
ski holidays
We spent a lovely few days in Les Gets last week getting the chalet ready for Christmas - cold nights, clear skies and wonderful sunny days.
A friend of our daughter reported yesterday that he had been to the equivalent of B&Q outside Amsterdam and his eyes nearly popped out when he saw a bunch of the Red Eggs there.
snow conditions
Sunny and clear but cold over night with heavy frosts. Lac de Montriond looks like it's had snow but it is just an inch of frost!!

The Avoriaz webcam is showing some activity with snow cannons on the Arare but not sure how much water they have?

Latest from thr 'oldies' - it will snow and it could be a hard winter (would not be specific on when!) also...

Another good one I've heard is ; 'The goats have really hairy legs and so it's going to be a hard winter!!'

My theories are it snows when you least want it to!! Mother in law is out at the weekend and wants to lots of things in the sun - you never know.....
snow conditions
Quote:
'The goats have really hairy legs and so it's going to be a hard winter!'

I've got quite hairy legs as well.
snow conditions
paulio wrote:
Quote:
'The goats have really hairy legs and so it's going to be a hard winter!'

I've got quite hairy legs as well.

We'll take that as a positive then Toofy Grin

So this year you will have your pick of snow threads eh? Very Happy
latest report
Lou, yeah. Keeping the closest eye on the 3Vs and Tignes threads, as have weeks with UK based family and friends already planned there in those places. Day trips to Les Gets are on the cards as well though. Maybe I won't bottle out of that black run on M Chery this year and have to escape through the terrain park. Ahem.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulio you disgust me.
snow report
I disgust myself sometimes.
snow conditions
I want to offer up my first post to the snow gods...

Please let this be a massive season of powdery goodness in the Port Du Soleil
latest report
PaddyMc, or maybe Portes

but agree with the sentiment!
and welcome
snow conditions
paulio, It's a magnificent run. Why would you want to bottle it?
snow report
paulio, I only ever sit on the chairlift and admire people doing that run - or think they are being a bit ambitious sometimes. Good luck when you come to do it!
snow conditions
under a new name because it looked almost vertical, covered in moguls the size of horses, and I nearly did a poo in my pants.

But I've improved since then.
snow report
paulio, I think that piste is called Bouqetain. Proper steep for a piste at the top. There's a little gully to the righthand side as you look down; took a headfirst slide down it a few years ago. Not much fun, especially as I was made to do it again on the next lap around.
ski holidays
That's the barsteward.
snow conditions
paulio, Man up - we'll have a swig of booze and then throw ourselves over, last down buys the next round. Stop being a wuss.

Has anyone been round the runs in St Jean-d'Aulps? looks like a few good reds to enjoy!
latest report
Last season I took the kids to Grande Terche for a morning of somewhere different. The circuit into Bellevaux wasn't open and we couldn't ski back to the village due to lack of snow but at the top it was OK and very quiet. I think in a good snow year it would be worth a day to explore. It would be great if they could link it into the back of Mt Chery but alas that is unlikely I guess.

No snow here in Norway yet either and none forecast for the next week either. Sad
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee, It is great when the circuit is open and when you can go from the top right down to the village - which we did do at least a couple of times last year (not the circuit unfortunately). We like it when it gets really hectic and busy elsewhere.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy