Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fernie 08/09

Poster: A snowHead
Fernie was AWESOME today. Great snow all day, the trees off falling star were at least waist deep, my 130cm poles wouldnt reach the bottom so if you fall its a bit of a hassle to say the least.

Still quite alot closed but plenty of choice if you're prepared to travel up the mountain.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was in Daycare all day today. I'm hoping it dumps tonight and I get rewarded for going to work for 8:45 on new years day... Sad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another sweet day at Fernie with it snowing hard ALL DAY and quite a bit more open, still no currie bowl Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
God I love living here Very Happy 2 hours sleep and work at 8am isn't the usual precusor to an amazing day, but it's been wicked. Puking massive flakes, a foot on top of the car when we got back to it easily. Quietening down too, and the good spots are as good as they always are!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In Red now - great day - moist fluff everywhere that stayed pretty good til late even when churned - just need to have the balls not to pussyfoot when I know there's rocks under it wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Anyone recommend some sweet spots for the weekend?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sps89, "at home" appears to be the best option! Friday was utterly mental - a storm missed us so Calgary reinforcements backed up the already silly crowds - and conditions still aren't good enough to open Currie/Cedar/Upper Lizard. Today it's -30 at 11am after a massive cold snap and cloud clearance last night.

A little more about conditions: Patrol were heli-bombing this morning, I got to watch them hit the Lizard headwall. 3-4 big slides ripped (size 2-2.5), too much debris to see crown size). They ran to at least the upper Lizard traverse. This cold snap is literally the worst thing that could of happened for the snowpack (because it's sucking all the moisture out of the layers), and continues the theme of massive extremes this season. If the forecast storm hits and locks in like it was supposed to tonight, I can imagine the full upper mountain closing again. This morning's forecast reckons it might break across a few days from Sunday now, but the forecast has been patchy at best given there was no word of today's -30 snap. So, it's busy, the big terrain is likely shut, and I'd rather people thanked Patrol for their amazing work so far to actually allow people on the lifts than complain that it's busy and overcrowded/closed.

That aside, I got a couple of hours of bluebird groomers before I came home today, and I love ripping Bear at mach looney Very Happy Too cold for kids to be outside though, so no work - I'm off back to bed now!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DaveC, ha - the Cala-fernians...

Pray for good snow at LL/Banff/Nakiska wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DaveC wrote:
sps89, "at home" appears to be the best option! Friday was utterly mental - a storm missed us so Calgary reinforcements backed up the already silly crowds - and conditions still aren't good enough to open Currie/Cedar/Upper Lizard. Today it's -30 at 11am after a massive cold snap and cloud clearance last night.

A little more about conditions: Patrol were heli-bombing this morning, I got to watch them hit the Lizard headwall. 3-4 big slides ripped (size 2-2.5), too much debris to see crown size). They ran to at least the upper Lizard traverse. This cold snap is literally the worst thing that could of happened for the snowpack (because it's sucking all the moisture out of the layers), and continues the theme of massive extremes this season. If the forecast storm hits and locks in like it was supposed to tonight, I can imagine the full upper mountain closing again. This morning's forecast reckons it might break across a few days from Sunday now, but the forecast has been patchy at best given there was no word of today's -30 snap. So, it's busy, the big terrain is likely shut, and I'd rather people thanked Patrol for their amazing work so far to actually allow people on the lifts than complain that it's busy and overcrowded/closed.

That aside, I got a couple of hours of bluebird groomers before I came home today, and I love ripping Bear at mach looney Very Happy Too cold for kids to be outside though, so no work - I'm off back to bed now!

Pretty much the same story for me, the top of timber was REALLY cold, so i spenta bit of time on the ICE aroung elk chair but it was still pretty cold.

Hitched home pretty soon and im just hoping tomorrow will be better. Had an amazing brekky at lizard creek though, LOVE that place!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You here for the season sps89? I got a Sasquatch sandwitch this morning from the Daylodge - it's amazing!! The food in there is suprisingly nice!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DaveC wrote:
You here for the season sps89? I got a Sasquatch sandwitch this morning from the Daylodge - it's amazing!! The food in there is suprisingly nice!

Here for a month mate. Ill try that sarnie tomo.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cool stuff. We'll have to go for a rip sometime - I have tomorrow scheduled for a massive hangover (first day off for a while!) but otherwise be rude not to - I missed fatbob since I got called in to work Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DaveC wrote:

I found the food in the Daylodge pretty acceptable, it's just the School Canteen feel to the place that's off putting.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DaveC, Hmmm, wouldn't call the food at the Daylodge "amazing", but then again I didn;t have the pleasure of a Sasquatch sandwich. I agree with Spyderman, I think the style could be better done
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Since I'd never heard of sasquatch, I Googled it to find out what kind of foodstuff it might be.... Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
there's something slightly rude sounding about a Sasquatch sandwich. must try one while i'm over. snowHead
snow report
Oh, the place itself is a zoo, I don't go in it at all when it's busy but it's nice to chill out in when it's empty before lineups. It's way too small for peak times. Anything they cook on the grill seems to be really good though, I think it's improved a lot this year.
snow report
DaveC,

Are you a kids instructor in Fernie?

We are coming out for family day weekend and are planning an easter break there too (RCR season pass holders based in Calgary).

We have a 4 yr old (just 4) who is pretty good, linking turns sking occasional blues etc, in control, chooses her own path etc. I see from the Fernie website that she can actually have lessons at Fernie (she needs some) as unlike most resorts who give lessons for little ones, they actually plan for skiers, rather than kids that just go up and down magic carpet all lesson. So I am about to book her in, but I am not sure about the level to book her for. They have these two levels, in her ability range:
Deer: Can stop and link turns in control down Deer and Meadow working towards skiing off the Elk
Elk: Can stop and link turns in control down the Lower Lizard and Elk becoming more comfortable with speed

Having never been to Fernie before I am unsure of the levels and the difference between coming off Deer and coming off Elk. She will probably improve over the next few weeks before Family day as she will ski one day a weekend between now and then

She can:
ski the easier blues at Nakiska
ski the main face down from Kimberley including coping with ice, she sems unfazed by crowds
BUT she is quite little.

So is she Deer or Elk ?

Gryphea
ski holidays
gryphea, I am. Are you booking her into Daycare and lessons (or Ski and Play), or regular group lessons? Don't worry about the levels too much, we re-organise kids after assessing them anyway - so I'd book her into the Deer group and mention she might well be capable of Elk. I'll be working on the weekend in Daycare, so feel free to request me if you want!

Cheers,
Dave (Connell)
snow report
Hey all you Fernie-ites. How are the latest avalanche bulletins / notices reflecting the risk on inbounds off piste terrain in the resort at the moment? Are conditions as dodgy as they portray? They say there is a thaw on the way. Will that help the base stick to the mountain? Shocked
ski holidays
Dodgy stuff isn't open. Patrol won't let people risk their lives. I heard today that Currie isn't opening for a couple of weeks at least - Patrol won't even go in there. Upper Lizard's traverse is hit by a naturally released slide pretty much every new snowfall - so until the snowpack consolidates a bit, anything threatened by the headwall likely won't open. That's Currie, Upper Cedar (and Snake Ridge), Upper Lizard, and Siberia Ridge accessed runs. The rest of the terrain is safe, so there's some fun and challenging stuff to ski - Cedar Bowl has a lot of decent lines available and you can still get to some interesting stuff on the new side too.

Warmer temps will help consolidate the snowpack. It'll heal.
snow report
I guess the base is that precarious. A lot of interesting acreage shut down though. No doubt for good reason. Who would have thought. Makes me wish I had gone to Utah. Mind you it probably wouldn't be as laid back down there. Here's hoping for a more positive outlook. I head out in 17 days. Dreckly Confused
ski holidays
Don't worry, I wouldn't trade Fernie for any other resort even with the current conditions Very Happy There's stilll loads to go at. Book me for a private and I'll show you Very Happy (Okay, I make $10 an hour - gotta pimp the privates!!)
ski holidays
Might take you up on that. Up to my nuts teaching the mrs how to board in between her skiing. rolling eyes
snow report
DaveC wrote:
Cedar Bowl has a lot of decent lines available and you can still get to some interesting stuff on the new side too

Dave, spent a lot of time Boarding in Cedar last March. Ref: "new side" have they opened up some more terrain? They were taking about opening up the bowl at the back of Cedar ("Duck", or something like that).

I'm out on the 21st Jan, fifteen days, can you make sure it's all sorted by then........................ wink.

And thanks for the reports, John.
latest report
AFAIK, "new side" means falling star and the like, it was called "the new side" when we first wne tout there on '03 and even then it had been open for some years.
latest report
People coming to Fernie SHOULD NOT be stressing out. The snow is amazing at the moment and keeps getting better, i was skiing chest deep in cedar yesterday. I also lost a ski pole in the pow Sad

I cant ski this morning i pulled my groin in a monster crash but i cant wait to get back up there. Theres no way you need everything to be open to have a good time, im just happy that patrol are doing an excellent job.

DaveC, i cant stay for the season because i cant get a work visa
snow report
BCjohnny wrote:
DaveC wrote:
Cedar Bowl has a lot of decent lines available and you can still get to some interesting stuff on the new side too

Dave, spent a lot of time Boarding in Cedar last March. Ref: "new side" have they opened up some more terrain? They were taking about opening up the bowl at the back of Cedar ("Duck", or something like that).

I'm out on the 21st Jan, fifteen days, can you make sure it's all sorted by then........................ wink.

And thanks for the reports, John.

The "old" and "new" sides are probably a bit misleading - Fernie was originally just the Lizard bowl, so the Timber and White Pass lifts that serve Siberia/Timber/Currie bowls are the new side. Cedar is the furthest on lookers right, and is the last inbound bowl on the right hand side - you get into it off Bear or Boomerang.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We returned from Fernie last weekend (just catching up with work and jetlag). By the time we left the snow conditions were much better (very sad to leave Crying or Very sad) - from what I can see they have had another 14 inches or more since we left so anyone going now should have great conditions.

One thing - Ski Patrol. We were there when they had wet snow on top of a load of fluff at the start of last week, when the Snowmobilers were buried down the valley, which was awful. That led to a couple of inbound slides (onto Deer Trail, between Freeway and Decline, at the bottom of Dancer) and a lot of avalanche control issues all over the hill for a few days. During that time, the Ski Patrol were SIMPLY SUPERB. They got the hill open as much as they could, whilst controlling the rest of it to keep people safe. When they finally opened Boomerang chair you could see where the snow had cracked on Boomerang Ridge but not let go as a slide. You could also see where patrol had been "cutting" the snow for avalanche control (which I find both amazing and terrifying, in equal measure). Although they were working hard and had real demands on them, they were happy to explain (briefly) what was going on, where was safe and open and where was closed (and why).

For anyone who thinks that the Ski Patrol are simply there to spoil people's fun and stop them ducking ropes, last week really showed how wrong that is and how hard those men and women work simply to keep people safe. They deserve enormous respect and gratitude from everyone who enjoys skiing. They certainly have mine.
ski holidays
DaveC,

Hi Dave C

Thanks for your reply and sorry it has taken so long to get back.

We will book our little girl in for I think two half days ski and play- the rest of the time we will spend with her! Might book 6 yr old in but will leave that a bit.

Have some other british calgarian friends who will have at least one in daycare too. I think they are staying the same nights as us- but up the hill- we booked too late ( a sadly repetitive theme of ours- canadians are organised bookers and we struggle!).

Hope to meet you then.

Gryph (Lucy)
ski holidays
Cheers, DaveC, am ok with the general layout of the place, but was thrown a bit by the ref to "new", thanks for clarifying though.

How is the hill shaping up?

John.
snow report
BCjohnny wrote:
Cheers, DaveC, am ok with the general layout of the place, but was thrown a bit by the ref to "new", thanks for clarifying though.

How is the hill shaping up?

John.

34cms in 24 hours but RAIN TODAY. Pit of a pain in the back bottom but long term it what the hill needs.

I had a go at skiing deer today but it was pretty sticky, not fun.
ski holidays
We're on hour 36 ish of torrential rain in town and on the lower mountain. Not sure what this means long term, but short term it's not great Sad Might be wet snow on the upper mountain, the snow line on the trees looked like it was just above Deer.
ski holidays
oh. Confused

forecast looking a bit warm for the near future too. hope the temps drop before BCJ's trip, and hopefully before early feb.
snow report
Well, if it stays like this (warm and wet) then the rain will get through the snowpack and consolidate all the weak layers when the cold comes back. January is normally the coldest month so if we can sneak a mild week in now before it plummets back down it should be a good thing long term.
latest report
rogg wrote:
oh. Confused

forecast looking a bit warm for the near future too. hope the temps drop before BCJ's trip, and hopefully before early feb.

Me too.

If it does stabilize the snow pack, good, for everybody. I hit the snow a fortnight today so if if drops cold again, within a few days, can't see there being a problem, as long as it stays below zero. Plenty of time for a fresh cap to form on the hard pack. Take about 24hrs at current precip rates.

Not so good for the people there now. I've been in Whistler when it's rained in the village, and as you've ascended the gondola it's turned to snow. Not nice.

The forecasts reckon temp will drop weekend on, between -1 & -10 at base, pretty much 'till departure, FWIW.

Rogg, think you arrive day I depart, so one of us should have decent, maybe both..........

John.
ski holidays
BCjohnny, hope it's both of us mate.
ski holidays
Meh, I skied today for a solid afternoon of ripping around after a l4 instructor on an improvement session. Lots of work to ski the uberwet crud, but good fun and the mountain was deserted. Considering how much snow has hit, the hill looks in good shape. Snow line is quite high - Boomerang valley has TONS of wet fresh, this stuff should keep buried the remaining alders and smaller trees. Pond skimming outside the rental shop was a bit odd in December though.
snow report
Sorry about the warm and the rain but if it helps stabilise the snowpack then it is a good thing. 2 weeks to go for me.

Man I am a weather twitcher!!!!!The forecasts are starting to converge a bit. A blocking high with sun/cloud and warmer temps for maybe a week mid Jan. There may be a change around the 22nd. Maybe that high getting pushed away by further Pacific systems. If that is right then looking good for our arrival. Interestingly the Powder Cowboy website doesn't have a sniff of bad avalanche risk. Nothing mentioned that I can see. Even had pictures of a skier and boarder on a steepish pitch. Conditions reported positively. I thought the avalanche risk was a regionwide phenomenon at the moment? Puzzled
ski holidays
DaveC wrote:
Meh, I skied today for a solid afternoon of ripping around after a l4 instructor on an improvement session. Lots of work to ski the uberwet crud, but good fun and the mountain was deserted. Considering how much snow has hit, the hill looks in good shape. Snow line is quite high - Boomerang valley has TONS of wet fresh, this stuff should keep buried the remaining alders and smaller trees. Pond skimming outside the rental shop was a bit odd in December though.

Sweet , that was me pond skiing, my buddy did it switch.

Rode boom a few times today, pretty slushy but kinda fun just to play on, i was up for hitting the park but bear was closed most of the day so couldnt reach it.

People stressing out should get a reality check, Fernie is still super fun and 2 days of rain is nothing to worry about, thats Fernie.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy