Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone who doesn't wear a helmet is an idiot.

Poster: A snowHead
offpisteskiing, would be interested to know, thanks. I bought one last season having never bothered before but after a fall when I landed on the back of my head on hardpack and wondered what the effect would have been had it been a rock rolling eyes (a skid lid saved my bonce in a motorbike incident in which I also landed on my back some 30+ years ago). Ski helmets are pretty light so I wouldn't think inertia would be much of a problem Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hurtle wrote:
I cannot believe this thread has actually taken off! rolling eyes

I can't believe somone disappointed that it has taken off has bothered posting to it wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, who is "disappointed"?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Must be the mention of helmets on a friday wink wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
recent surveys showed that in countries where a law was brought in to make it compulsory to wear a helmet when cycling, that head injuries reduced, but the cycle chappie opposing the argument pointed out that this only happened because the number of people cycling reduced by a third, and that the helmets only protected against low impact accidents, and the third who stopped cycling probably suffered health problems from getting lardy Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helmets should be compulsory.

Imagine you and your high end intermediate ski group, who didn't use a travel company but diy'd thank you very much, are pinned down by sniper fire in La Ros, on a red run (but it should have been a black , did you see those bumps), from a waiter they didn't tip sufficiently.

With a helmet waved from the top of a ski pole, whose length exactly conforms to you gripping the pole beneath the basketwith your arm at 90*, you could provide an effective diversion whilst one of the party slipped off to look for the SCGB guide who could provide covering fire - so long as it didn't entail him heading off piste.

Common sense really.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wear a helmet and one fall I had last winter made me glad I do. However I don't think they should be compulsory.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mosha Marc, Laughing Laughing Laughing
rich.ll, ditto. Succinctly put.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
but surely when wearing a helmet you take more risks Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
but surely when wearing a helmet it messes up your hair Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Schuss in Boots wrote:
but surely when wearing a helmet it messes up your hair Toofy Grin

What hair?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jbob wrote:
Any one know if the place in Canada, Trembler or something is any good.

Yeah it is. Nice place great skiing and awesome nights out, enjoy yourself if you go
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Schuss in Boots, yeah that's a real PITA. I've found that using the gel designed for hoodies seems to work...the spikes just spring back as soon as you remove said helmet. Result Cool Problem is, you can't actually do much skiing since if you sweat too much, it'll reset your hairdo as "helmet hair".
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sharkymark, ... because you're worth it? Laughing Laughing (and we want PICS!!!) Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mosha Marc, I'm afraid your money would have been better spent on a grenade than a helmet. This has three key advantages:

1) You don't have to involve the SCGB, which naturally wouldn't look good on your trip report.

2) Even if you are unable to take out the restaurant sniper, you would doubtless set off an avalanche, which you could ride like a surfer, precipitating a far quicker get away.

3) A grenade will fit comfortably in your pocket as it is much smaller than the quite lumersome helmet.
snow report
If your an idiot; surely you have less to protect wink
ski holidays
Lechbob, us idiots need to preserve the few neurones we have left. Smart people have spares.
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, I know what you mean Toofy Grin
But there are the simple, the senile & just plain nutters. Not wearing a helmet is part of the natural selection process & thus should be optional.
ski holidays
blahblahblah....
snow report
My view is that some people who wear helmets think is then Ok to ski / board like a lunatic.
I will always believe that wearing a helmet reduces your peripheral vision and reduces hearing effectiveness.
If you are scared of banging your head, either get better technique, slow down or find another sport if you insist on being reckless on the slopes.

So its a definite NO from me
snow report
How about enforced Sumo suits too, just in case of a bump wink
snow conditions
arlberg,
Quote:

If you are scared of banging your head, either get better technique, slow down or find another sport if you insist on being reckless on the slopes.

So your attitude is that helmets should be banned. Interesting.

Should motorcycle and cycling helmets be banned as well (your argument I think would apply to them as well).
latest report
Unless you have eyes like a frog I don't understand the peripheral vision argument, and if there is any sound attenuation it seems to be no greater than that of your average hat, boo-boo Puzzled
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
Helmets should be compulsory.

Imagine you and your high end intermediate ski group, who didn't use a travel company but diy'd thank you very much, are pinned down by sniper fire in La Ros, on a red run (but it should have been a black , did you see those bumps), from a waiter they didn't tip sufficiently.

With a helmet waved from the top of a ski pole, whose length exactly conforms to you gripping the pole beneath the basketwith your arm at 90*, you could provide an effective diversion whilst one of the party slipped off to look for the SCGB guide who could provide covering fire - so long as it didn't entail him heading off piste.

Common sense really.

you could lay down fire whilst your other half of the section pepper pot moving forward, fire through the enemy and re-group the other side Cool
ski holidays
skisimon wrote:
Mosha Marc, I'm afraid your money would have been better spent on a grenade than a helmet. This has three key advantages:

1) You don't have to involve the SCGB, which naturally wouldn't look good on your trip report.

2) Even if you are unable to take out the restaurant sniper, you would doubtless set off an avalanche, which you could ride like a surfer, precipitating a far quicker get away.

3) A grenade will fit comfortably in your pocket as it is much smaller than the quite lumersome helmet.

I think that this may actually be quite dangerous. I once took a fall on a steep section of hardpack with a grenade in my chest pocket. The resulting bruise took two weeks to reduce in size and my ribs were almost broken.
ski holidays
Scarpa, you crazy dude Laughing
ski holidays
Scarpa raises a good point Confused The same dangers could equally be applied to Sharkymark's tube of hair gel, this skiing in a helmet lark gets more dangerous by the minute.. Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy